Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dub Narcotic

Ben McKendry

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Is Teibert going to be the required Canadian Whipping boy on this Canadian team? The entire team was horrible. There should have been even more goals. If anybody was to blame it is Ousted. He made the bad decision. The whole Whitecaps team was chasing the ball the entire game.

This was my 1st thought judging by some responses, he didn't look that bad to me and in fact I thought did some really good things in this match! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gator said:

This was my 1st thought judging by some responses, he didn't look that bad to me and in fact I thought did some really good things in this match! 

I know this is the wrong thread...but Teibert has become the victim of expectations and constant turnover. When you start in MLS as a 17 year old those expectations will be there, then for a half season under Rennie, it looked like those expectations would be fulfilled. Since then, it has been numerous position changes and performances that have not matched the levels from a few seasons ago. 

When Robinson continually says that Teibert is the future captain of this team, that doesn't do anything to lower expectations either.

So the general feeling among most Vancouver supporters (my sense anyways), is that he is not good enough to be a starter and we need to improve on that position.

I have been saying for a couple of seasons that he has plateaued here and that a change of scenery would be good for him. I still feel that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're right. But, to put things in perspective, Teibert is about the same age (half a year older) and has played over 100 MLS-games more than McKendry. I'm very surprised that he even got this chance to show what he's got. 

Edited by shamrock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, masster said:

I know this is the wrong thread...but Teibert has become the victim of expectations and constant turnover. When you start in MLS as a 17 year old those expectations will be there, then for a half season under Rennie, it looked like those expectations would be fulfilled. Since then, it has been numerous position changes and performances that have not matched the levels from a few seasons ago. 

When Robinson continually says that Teibert is the future captain of this team, that doesn't do anything to lower expectations either.

So the general feeling among most Vancouver supporters (my sense anyways), is that he is not good enough to be a starter and we need to improve on that position.

I have been saying for a couple of seasons that he has plateaued here and that a change of scenery would be good for him. I still feel that way.

Gotta agree.  I think the money is just too good for him in Vancouver right now.. he's making what?  $175k?  

No other MLS team is going to give him that, he is valuable in Vancouver because he's the token homegrown.. just like Ashtone Morgan in Toronto.  I think at the end of his deal, whenever that is, it's time to move on otherwise he's going to continue to be a mediocre player on the fringe of the national team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised McKendry played and didn't look out of place. 

Re Teibert: I think we should remember that the league is rapidly improving, so players like Teibert (and Osorio) are in a battle not to get outpaced by the rising quality in the league. 

I think in the future we will have a drop in HGP's that make a career in MLS, but a big rise in players at the NASL, USL and hopefully, CSL levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Gotta agree.  I think the money is just too good for him in Vancouver right now.. he's making what?  $175k?  

No other MLS team is going to give him that, he is valuable in Vancouver because he's the token homegrown.. just like Ashtone Morgan in Toronto.  I think at the end of his deal, whenever that is, it's time to move on otherwise he's going to continue to be a mediocre player on the fringe of the national team.  

What league do you guys see Teibert having success in?

This is a question for not just Keegan btw.

I personally think Belgium might be a good place to give it a go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Obinna said:

What league do you guys see Teibert having success in?

This is a question for not just Keegan btw.

I personally think Belgium might be a good place to give it a go.

 

Yea, I was gonna say Belgium as well.  I know Teibert has aspirations to play in the Bundesliga so maybe a B2 or B3 club.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players in Belgium and Holland routinely find themselves in the Bundesliga after a while. That might be a better route than B2 and certainly better than B3. 

I can see Teibert showing well at a team like Genk or Standard Liege (perhaps after a few seasons). Those teams could potentially give him European football, which is an advantage in terms of his resume / attractiveness. 

This may only be my perception, but I feel it is the attacking players in second divisions who get snapped up by first divison teams. 

Edited by Obinna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's only one game, but I think this is a reminder for us that just because a player doesn't get any minutes doesn't mean they are utter garbage, or must not be earning the spot. Sometimes you need a break to get into the lineup, even though you are good enough. It took his third season before he got on the field in MLS, and he did well. It's entirely possible he would have done well 2 years ago, or 1 year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I still think it's too late for him, at least for now. I would change my mind if he got a serie of starts now and manages to improve fast. Remember Jay Chapman last season? Looked very promising, yet dropped out of the starting 11 and even out of the match team for TFC. It's hard to keep that spot.

I'm completely with Obinna on this one, the level of MLS keeps improving so it gets harder and harder to get into a team. To stay there is even harder. 

Btw 175 for Teibert is way overpriced, I don't think Belgian or Dutch teams are willing to pay that for a relatively unknown mid (who doesn't score a lot nor provides assists).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Teibert went to Belgium he would not break in with top teams like Liege. 

He has pace and stamina, decent technique. I'd like to see him with a mid-lower Turkish club. Like a Kayserispor or something...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jpg75 said:

If Teibert went to Belgium he would not break in with top teams like Liege. 

He has pace and stamina, decent technique. I'd like to see him with a mid-lower Turkish club. Like a Kayserispor or something...

That would be another route to the Bundesliga, as many players transfer to and from the Turkish Super Lig from Germany.

It's not the most stable region in Europe right now, but honestly the whole continent has been a mess lately.

I don't see a team like Standard Liege swooping in for Teibert right now, but I think he can attract attention from such a club by putting in good performances with a mid to lower level team in the league. 

Anderlecht plucked Andy Najar from DC United, and while Teibert is not that level of player, he had shown enough in MLS to make me believe that the midsized Belgium clubs would be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Mckendry has been loaned out to FC Edmonton.  From what I saw in the Voyageurs Cup, he needs more work and minutes and sadly can't make the jump to the first team. Seems Caps are starting to loan out their Academy players to either get better or be shipped out.  Adekugbe, Froese, Bustos, and now McKendry looking for greener pastures and playing time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Is McKendry the only Canadian on the current  Caps' senior roster who was born and raised in the Vancouver area?

If your referring to the 23 man squad, I'd say yes.  In terms of other local talents, Kadin Chung is a Metro Van boy playing on WFC2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nolbertos said:

Ben Mckendry has been loaned out to FC Edmonton.  From what I saw in the Voyageurs Cup, he needs more work and minutes and sadly can't make the jump to the first team. Seems Caps are starting to loan out their Academy players to either get better or be shipped out.  Adekugbe, Froese, Bustos, and now McKendry looking for greener pastures and playing time

He should be happy, cause he's gonna play at a higher level. He's 23 (24?) now, he needs to be making an impact soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent move for both parties. Even though both clubs are in "Div 2", NASL is a higher level of play than USL right now in my mind. Edmonton desperately needs help all over the pitch and McKendry will be a decent box to box fit in midfield, arguably a slight upgrade on Eustaquio in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Decent move for both parties. Even though both clubs are in "Div 2", NASL is a higher level of play than USL right now in my mind. Edmonton desperately needs help all over the pitch and McKendry will be a decent box to box fit in midfield, arguably a slight upgrade on Eustaquio in my mind.

How is he an upgrade over eustaquio ???????????????????????

.. mckendry primarily played ncaa soccer and pdl soccer and has less professional appearances & minutes than eustaquio (54 professional appearances) and grew up in portugal academy 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yothat said:

How is he an upgrade over eustaquio ???????????????????????

.. mckendry primarily played ncaa soccer and pdl soccer and has less professional appearances & minutes than eustaquio (54 professional appearances) and grew up in portugal academy 

 

Well, McKendry actually has more professional minutes and appearances than Eustaquio, some at a higher level of play and most at a lower lever of play. Eustaquio has 3319 minutes in 54 appearances at the NASL level (including playoffs), while McKendry has 90 minutes in MLS, and 4270 minutes in 55 appearances at the USL level (no playoffs), as well as CCL experience. At this point, how either were developed doesn't mean much to me given that they both seem to be NASL / CPL level players at best.

I just think McKendry is better at getting forward with the ball than Eustaquio, who's best attributes are in a DM role, which will either be filled by Ledgerwood or Zebie in the fall season. I think Eustaquio is pretty clunky going forward, and he's not much of a destroyer from what I've seen. I'm not saying it's a big gap in quality, as I mentioned I think McKendry would be a slight upgrade on Eustaquio given the circumstances. Now if you were to have a McKendry / Eustaquio pairing in CM with Fordyce at AM, Ledgerwood at DM and Zebie at LB then that could be a lineup that interests me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

McKendry is a very competent footballer with nice skills, good physical preparation, and a good head.

Well that's the nicest way I've ever heard somebody say, "He has 0 MLS level technical attributes"  :D.

Joking aside, I hope the kid finds his feet in Edmonton. I still think he can be a role player at the MLS level, and at the very least should command the attention of a certain soccer league launching in 2018.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TRM said:

Nice move for him. From USL to NASL is a step up if ever so slightly. Hope he gets lots of playing time and kills it.

NASL and USL definitely have different playing styles. NASL is full of veterans to learn from. They play a more strategic kind of soccer, more planned and less mistakes. USL is more talented and younger, but of course they make more mistakes. I just hope that Collin Miller doesn't squash the creativity out of him. A lot of people who play for Collin Miller are forced to play a scrappy kind of soccer that involves very little skill and often stunts their growth as a player. That's the way it seems to me anyways. Players don't seem to get better once they come to Edmonton, they get worse...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Well that's the nicest way I've ever heard somebody say, "He has 0 MLS level technical attributes"  :D.

Joking aside, I hope the kid finds his feet in Edmonton. I still think he can be a role player at the MLS level, and at the very least should command the attention of a certain soccer league launching in 2018.

You nailed me there, gotta admit it. 

For me, it has to be a club policy that they express to their coaching staff, there is no other way. Otherwise a coach will just try to win his way and developing local youth be damned. I say this as, for example, the famous Masia at Barça is doing crappy lately, or let's say not so great, simply because they are not using it properly. You have to hire your coach with a few aims in mind: doing better than before, winning, playing attractively, featuring Canadians and working hard to get your academy kids into the mix. Robinson has done none of those four. He is just a nice guy with a pretty face that the FO feels comfy with.

Robbo has only taken a risk on Davies, and now Nerwinski, this year. No other kid more likely to be on WC2 has gotten a bite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×