voetbal.dave

Wandrille Lefevre

Impact supporters, is this guy any good? looks like he's been in canada long enough to play for us.  Also noticed thart his wiki page says he's born in 88 but his MLS profile says 89?

He's not an upgrade from players we already have.

I don't think he is quite eligible yet. Besides, at the moment he said he feels like more of a quebecer then a Canadian (read that in an article a while ago) so I don't think he's jumping at the opportunity to play for Canada just yet

I don't think he is quite eligible yet. Besides, at the moment he said he feels like more of a quebecer then a Canadian (read that in an article a while ago) so I don't think he's jumping at the opportunity to play for Canada just yet

Having lived in Quebec, I would say that statement is probably true for a lot of Quebecers, who are also proud Canadian's. Feeling more Quebecois than Canadian, but still federalist and Canadian nonetheless isn't mutually exclusive, or even uncommon, so I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion.

Right from the article he says

"If it can happen one day, I will enjoy representing Canada because it is country that has given me a lot since I was 14 years old and I feel really comfortable with my life here. For sure I would be honoured to represent the country. However, right now the goals I have with my club are more important." 

Seems pretty clear he'd be willing not sure where he is at in terms of eligibility though.  

Edited by IceCreamMan

I don't think he'll be much longer at the Impact though, unless it's for their USL team. He's had chances at CB but hasn't showed real progress. He's not even on the bench anymore. I don't think this is the level anyone should be looking for at for the NMT.

Edited by shamrock

From Olivier Tremblay @ mlssoccer.com

I'm driving the Lefevre train, this guy should have been called for the Gold Cup ahead of any NASL players.

MONTREAL – Four years ago, Wandrille Lefèvre was a midfield prospect at the Montreal Impact academy. He hadn’t even played with the Impact first team in NASL yet.

How things change.

Last week, Lefèvre played 180 minutes in central defense next to Laurent Ciman, who went to a World Cup with Belgium.

“Life goes fast. Football goes fast,” Lefèvre told reporters on Tuesday. “Three, four years later, here we are, with an MLS that grows year after year.”

Lefèvre’s career has flourished since those Academy days: He made 21 league appearances in his first two professional seasons, moving from midfield into defense.

This year, though, he hasn’t done much in this ever-growing MLS. Before last week, he’d made only one start, in a 2-2 draw against Orlando City SC on March 28. But with three games in eight days last week, Montreal head coach Frank Klopas had to rotate his squad. He gave the nod to Lefèvre ahead of Bakary Soumare last Wednesday against Vancouver.

Lefèvre’s performance in the 2-1 win forced Klopas’ hand.

“I wanted not to change too many things [in the following game],” Klopas said. “With one circumstance, I was forced to because of injury. Baky’s fine. He understands the situation, and for him, it’s all about the team doing well.”

Three days later, Lefèvre played again in Columbus. Once more, he was superb. Montreal won 2-1.

“I never doubted myself,” Lefèvre said. “I know what I can do. Then, it’s always about proving it again because when you don’t play for some time, you’re being forgotten somewhat by the general public, the media, the whole club environment. It was important to show that I’m still here and that I can be relied upon.”

Lefèvre took upon crucial defensive tasks. Against the Whitecaps, Ambroise Oyongo was a bold right back for Montreal – Lefèvre covered his forays forward.

In Columbus, Oyongo was replaced by Nigel Reo-Coker, a midfielder by trade. Former midfielder Lefèvre knew where Reo-Coker came from and adjusted his game accordingly, helping his teammate out as needed.

Head coach Klopas praised Lefèvre’s work rate and perseverance on and off the field. Even after two months without a game, Lefèvre seized his opportunity when it came.

“The confidence that we’ve shown to the players, they give it back to the staff and to the team,” Klopas said. “That’s what it’s all about. You keep everyone – not on their toes, but everyone understands that we have depth on the team, and there's no better way of proving it than when the guys step on the field and they do well, they perform well and the team wins.”

From the first minute against Vancouver, Lefèvre struck an understanding with Ciman. The two covered each other and communicated easily. Both native French speakers, Ciman and Lefèvre get along well in everyday life. They can allow themselves to be brutally honest with each other in games.

“On the field, he fully trusts me and lets me be,” Lefèvre said. “I like it when the person next to me isn’t always monitoring what I’m doing, when they trust my work beyond doubt. It allows me to play my game, and I’m not trying to do too much or too little because I'm feeling that person not trusting me. Here, it’s full trust. I’m free. And vice versa, obviously – it’s easier for me to trust him.”

Lefèvre inspires trust. Well-spoken, intelligent and mature beyond his 25 years of age, he is a center back whose every move looks thought through, even when under pressure. When he was a young pro, Lefèvre thought of himself as a No. 3 center back. He’s rethinking that with what he’s shown next to either Soumare or Ciman.

“Now, I know that I’m an alternative No. 2,” Lefèvre said. “With the group that we have, I reckon that I can be on the field any time and it won’t make any difference. I think that my coaches, my managers, my teammates see me this way as well. Then, it’s about simply getting a chance and seizing it. I’ve seized it – for now. It's up to me not to let it go.”

He's been here since he was 14 you'd think he'd have it. With all the Opare talk I'm surprised he doesn't get more attention. Roughly similar points in their careers but Lefevre definitely meets FIFA criteria.

He's been here since he was 14 you'd think he'd have it. With all the Opare talk I'm surprised he doesn't get more attention. Roughly similar points in their careers but Lefevre definitely meets FIFA criteria.

Opare has openly talked about being in the process of gaining citizenship and how his goal is to play for Canada. Lefevre has never mentioned it.

Right from the article he says

"If it can happen one day, I will enjoy representing Canada because it is country that has given me a lot since I was 14 years old and I feel really comfortable with my life here. For sure I would be honoured to represent the country. However, right now the goals I have with my club are more important." [/color

This doesn't count?

Well apparently I can't quote properly so you're not alone!

Yeah was thinking that too but its a little different from him to say that when he's not eligible yet. I mean its not like he had a choice.. Someone needs to ask him if there has been any news on his citizenship. 

Until the last two games I would have thought he was not good enough for Canada. Most of last year I thought he was at best a MLS backup/bench player. However, he has really played well the last two games and if he can keep that up he could put himself into the national team mix. Two games is not long to form a judgement but he has looked better than Soumare in those two games. It is possible he just fits in better with Ciman because Ciman is a spectacular play defender who makes a lot of impressive plays but is prone to making a big error from time to time. Soumare is a bit similar to that while Lefevre is a more conservative less risk taking defender so he covers well for the more active defender. Klopas gets a lot of heat in Montreal but Lefevre and quite a few other players have really improved since he has been there. I used to think Mallace was useless but he is turning into a solid player as well and Romero, Camara and Tissot have all improved a lot under Klopas. There may be other reasons than just Klopas but I think he needs to get some credit for that.

I think the citizenship issues are really hard to predict and it seems being a potential national team player does not speed things up that much. I spoke with Hassoun Camara recently and asked about his status and he said he is just waiting for his citizenship and is in contact with the CSA. Some people here don't rate Camara (very wrongly in my opinion) but I think he would be a more important addition than Lefevre at the moment. As much as Lefevre has improved Camara is a much better player at the moment and we have a lot of CBs at a higher or similar level to Lefevre while Camara would fill the famous non-existent Canadian right back position. He can be error prone and lack discipline at times but he is a really technically gifted player as well as having speed and height and is definitely a big improvement over Ledgerwood or anyone else we can put in that position. He can make some spectacular defensive plays and is very good at moving the ball up field and also scores the occasional goal. 

Edited by Grizzly

It is possible he just fits in better with Ciman because Ciman is a spectacular play defender who makes a lot of impressive plays but is prone to making a big error from time to time. Soumare is a bit similar to that while Lefevre is a more conservative less risk taking defender so he covers well for the more active defender.

If that is the case, perhaps he would be a good fit beside Henry? I know a lot of people really like David Edgar and think he's our best defender and needs to start... But honestly he needs to get his club situation sorted out. Specifically he needs to play games, and figure out if he's a CB or a DM. Losing his spot on two different championship teams doesn't exactly inspire confidence and can't be great for his career trajectory. I'm not saying he should get citizenship and start over Edgar right away, it's just always good to have options and sometimes the best team is not the 11 most skilled players but the players who compliment each other the most.  

I think the citizenship issues are really hard to predict and it seems being a potential national team player does not speed things up that much. I spoke with Hassoun Camara recently and asked about his status and he said he is just waiting for his citizenship and is in contact with the CSA. Some people here don't rate Camara (very wrongly in my opinion) but I think he would be a more important addition than Lefevre at the moment. As much as Lefevre has improved Camara is a much better player at the moment and we have a lot of CBs at a higher or similar level to Lefevre while Camara would fill the famous non-existent Canadian right back position. He can be error prone and lack discipline at times but he is a really technically gifted player as well as having speed and height and is definitely a big improvement over Ledgerwood or anyone else we can put in that position. He can make some spectacular defensive plays and is very good at moving the ball up field and also scores the occasional goal. 

Good to hear Camara is in contact with the CSA and is just waiting for the paperwork. I think he will be a great addition to the squad. He's supposed to be eligible in 2016 correct?

He should fulfill the 5 year residency requirement in early 2016 which means if we make it to the group stage he might be available for games 3 and 4 in a best case scenario and if not probably by games 5 and 6. If we then made it to the Hex I think he would be very helpful at that level. Also given how much he has improved his play under Klopas I would love to see what Floro could do with him since Floro really seems to be improving the play of many of our players. Camara is one of those flawed diamond type of players. He has the athleticism and technical skills to play in a top league in Europe but a few flaws in his play have kept him in the second tier. If Floro could help him on working on some of those flaws he has the potential to be a top level player in CONCACAF and possibly our best defender (depending how Henry and the other youngsters develop).

Impact fans, who would you rate higher Ouimette or Lefevre?  For me it's Ouimette.  I only saw the Clb v Mtl match in his recent good form but can't say I'm a huge Lefevre fan after watching him up close against Toronto in the V Cup second leg... Ciman on the other hand was a complete nightmare for our attack.

Also interesting to hear Camara is still on track to play for us, that's great.  

Last year I thought Ouimette had more potential but he was not very consistent and had good games followed by very poor games. Lefevre seemed to stand out less but had a more consistent level and you knew what to expect from him. I haven't seen any of Ouimette's games this year but possibly he just needed regular playing time to become more consistent. From Lefevre we are judging from a very small sample of 2 games so it remains to be seen if he can continue this level of play but it did seem that he had improved several aspects of his play in these 2 games which at least hints that he may be able to continue playing like this. Klopas took some heat for releasing Ouimette (and I do think they should have done it earlier if they were going to do it but luckily New York was interested) but it was hard to justify keeping 2 players like that of similar skill level. In the end Ouimette going to New York turned out to be good for both players as far as getting playing time.

I'm going to add something on it. Lefèvre has tweeted yesterday that he will get his Canadian passport really soon and that it'a matter of weeks.

twitter.com/wandrillelef/status/608755257104052224

attendez vous a me voir avec un passeport CA TRÈS bientôt ( question de semaines )

So, Lefèvre for September WCQ is a possibility.

He could be a good depth player. He's already 26 so I suspect what we are seeing now is pretty close to the finished product, but an MLS squad player is better than what we have fielded in certain positions over the years.