Sign in to follow this  
Trillium

Best Capo in Canada

Now that we have five pro teams and numerous SG's, the question arises who will be the best CAPO this season ?

I propose we the Voyageurs work out a set of criteria and ponder making an annual award to the best CAPO, prizes... perhaps we can get a loud hailer company to donate a top of the line megaphone, or we can just get a case of beer for the CAPO.

It might end up being a vote by media since they get to travel to various stadia and hear the SG's and get a sense of the effect of the CAPO to get not only the SG's up and chanting but the rest of the stadium?

Thoughts ?

It might end up being a vote by media since they get to travel to various stadia and hear the SG's and get a sense of the effect of the CAPO to get not only the SG's up and chanting but the rest of the stadium?

Thoughts ?

I don't think someone else, like the media, should vote for us.  We should do our own voting.

megaphones are for the weak. More importantly: why a competition? Seems like a not good idea.

Edited by elmateo

megaphones are for the weak. More importantly: why a competition? Seems like a not good idea.

So you think all the Capo's should love each others teams ... ?

I think the strongest SG groups led by strong Capo's who help make the stadium atmosphere deserve recognition, as to megaphones ... unless you recruit Ben Hepner now he is out of job... how do you reach the top rows in a 10k stadium ?

By having the rows in front participate in the songs. Not hard. A megaphone in a crowd that big is useless because singing alone would out power it. If you can't get to the back of the rows, the problem isn't the capo its the rows directly in front of the capo not really following along that loudly. If people don't participate loud enough then other strategies are needed: different songs, different positioning, better engagement with the crowd. amplified voice = a cope out and is oppressive.

Why a competition is not a good idea, whats the point of comparing a 'capo'? As Bob pointed out not everyone uses one in the first place. Second, seems like if there is something 'competitive', it is between complete sections of supporters not just one person (with or without a megaphone). Third, how do you compare Victoria with Edmonton or Ottawa with Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver? Whats the point of that? The real rivalry is on the field and between supporters. Not between individual persons (with their megaphones?).

Being too good for a megaphone is a lovely goal but naive.

If you want to make a competition out of it go for it. It won't change the way I do things but it might get more people up there. Although, I just want to say personally I do it for a better experience from my section and beyond. I haven't spoke to anyone yet who prefers having their back to the play.

I take the proposal as a gesture of appreciation and thank you and any capos trying to do their best.

BBSC Capo wins lol but we do Capo to try n help lead the yell, repeat chants.and maybe pic songs when the crowd gets dead ie 20s, but our capo is also open to us starting chants i the stands and helping

Brennan fan...

Does  the SC Missasauga Rattlers have a league they play in ?

Okay Okay .. next National team game I am in Terana, we can arrange that you get a CAPO Case.... oh wait what a Marketing idea for Moosehead...

CAPO cases in all pro soccer cities. With a poster of the local CAPO in full flight.

No disrespect to other Capos but Thursday in Winnipeg Tuscan got the entire stadium going once or twice, 5 or 6 sections going multiple times, and increased the 'supporters section ' from 6 ppl to 6 rows of ppl. Is there a fighting heart award? If so, he would win it.

^Damn right...in Edmonton he was wandering around from the ESG section to the section beside us and getting the girls to chant with him, and just being his generally smiling infectious self in getting others involved.

I absolutely have to concur with Rob and Monte on this. Tuscan is totally a never say die (or dry) capo when it comes to getting the uninitiated off their ass, on their feet and signing or clapping along. It is one thing to lead the experienced and willing who have already converted to the way of the Voyageur. But to take the newbies who don't quite know what they have gotten themselves into and lead them into having the whole corner of the stadium just rocking............ now that's impressive. Even John Herdman noticed; in one of the interviews he referred to the time the whole stadium got going with "Let's Go Canada, Let's Go" later in the game and how the team worked to channel that energy. You already know where in the stadium that started. My biggest concern was that he was going to fall off the railing when he got up to get the attention of people in the section. I stand by my earlier description of "psycho capo" but I mean that in the most complimentary way.   

I still don't have my voice back fully. Ugh I really was hoping Let's Go Canada, Let's Go wasn't going to come out that game but the people in the second tier, and the guys way at the top of 144, seemed bound and determined to get us at the front to lead it. It did the best out of everything we did, spread the furthest, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. The general populace loves that shit and finds actual chants and songs foreign.

I still don't have my voice back fully. Ugh I really was hoping Let's Go Canada, Let's Go wasn't going to come out that game but the people in the second tier, and the guys way at the top of 144, seemed bound and determined to get us at the front to lead it. It did the best out of everything we did, spread the furthest, I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. The general populace loves that shit and finds actual chants and songs foreign.

I understand that you may have misgivings about that chant but I have to say that if you are trying to get the non traditional soccer supporters involved, you have to start with something that they know rather than the unfamiliar and (to them) obscure soccer chant. It's kind of like being the lead singer in the bar band that wants to play all their original material from the last album but the audience wants a cover version of "Smoke on the Water" as their big request. Sometimes you just have to give the people what they want and they will follow. :)

Hey, if you have enough chutzpah to get up there in front of a crowd, lead chants, and absolutely ignore everything that is going on behind you on the pitch, you get my two thumbs up. 

Hey, if you have enough chutzpah to get up there in front of a crowd, lead chants, and absolutely ignore everything that is going on behind you on the pitch, you get my two thumbs up. 

To be fair sometimes when I'm watching Canada I wish I could ignore everything that is happening on the pitch.

To be fair sometimes when I'm watching Canada I wish I could ignore everything that is happening on the pitch.

True, Sam   But what if you were the CAPO who was doing their job when we equalize 7 minutes into injury time against Honduras to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.  Just sayin'...  :)

Edited by JamboAl