StrandOne

A Voyageurs JERSEY?

I have about 8 thousand dollars in merch from the Canada vs USA game sitting in boxes where we sold absolutely nothing.  Nada. 

WTF!?!? What kind of merch? Time for a clearance sale perhaps?

I have to fix the problems first before anything else happens. 

Fixing problems is good but the idea being proposed is zero risk to us or cost to you. All it involves is giving someone artwork and a license to use it for a specific purpose.

Now, if the idea is in conflict with plans that are coming to fruition in the next couple of months...

WTF!?!? What kind of merch? Time for a clearance sale perhaps?

Fixing problems is good but the idea being proposed is zero risk to us or cost to you. All it involves is giving someone artwork and a license to use it for a specific purpose.

Now, if the idea is in conflict with plans that are coming to fruition in the next couple of months...

Merch. Scarves, Toques, Caps, Pins, Shirts, Fleece 1/4 zips. 

All of which will be available shortly when the store is done. One of the reasons we are using this system is an integrated online store with e-commerce, inventory management ect...

It's not a zero risk proposition amongst a small group of people with a pile of existing inventory and a similar sized investment into the equipment necessary to do this. 

With the shift in the membership concept (trickling out in emails to members, will be public soon, that membership is for life and not annual) we need a unique item as part of that. A jersey is on the table as one of those possibilities.  I would prefer something more unique, like the sash above. Something that sets us apart, but it isn't decided. If it's too weird people won't be into it, so it's possible it needs to be something in John Doe's head space like a jersey.

Look, gentlemen, I know nothing about $8,000 worth of merch. I'd love to reply to "SoccerOnly" but you Voyageurs inbox won't accept msgs.

This isn't about me making money. In fact, the $1 per shirt that might have gone to me would go to Voyageurs. It's not a falling on the sword. It is my love for Voyageurs and support of this group since before 2002 that urges me to do so.

I'm moving to SoCal in 5 weeks. That's when this window of opp'y closes because, God-willing, Nerea will have a job with PUMA by then.

I'm 43. I too have enough cotton t-shirts. I don't want some baggy Hockey Canada jersey. I'd never wear it. I just want a polyester Voyageurs jersey to help me come back in August and cheet on Les Rouges alongside Keisha Buchanan + Nichelle Prince's mums. That's it. But I can't have that if Voyageurs echo "blackdude" sentiment that none of us need jerseys.

I'm all in favor of the ceinture flechee idea. It's briliant + unique. Heck, I even asked a CANw20 player's (Valeria Sanderson) mum about it thru Twitter DM and SHE provided the link to etchiboys. Again, if you don't like it or can't afford it-- no judgment from me. Don't buy it. But I will, and wear it with pride. I grew up in a French Immersion program in Yellowknife. It makes sense to me.

As for the jersey, if it makes sense to Voyagerus to see what Nerea can come up with, I'm proposing an cutom-design online shop approach that only benefits Voyageurs. And yes, as you can see from GreenBlood special orders for gamers, the $50 USD might include any + all customization (which Nerea or GreenBlood can provide). No trial. No errors. No $8,000 of inventory. No money in my pocket.

Allez Les Rouges!

Look, gentlemen, I know nothing about $8,000 worth of merch. I'd love to reply to "SoccerOnly" but you Voyageurs inbox won't accept msgs.

This isn't about me making money. In fact, the $1 per shirt that might have gone to me would go to Voyageurs. It's not a falling on the sword. It is my love for Voyageurs and support of this group since before 2002 that urges me to do so.

I'm moving to SoCal in 5 weeks. That's when this window of opp'y closes because, God-willing, Nerea will have a job with PUMA by then.

I'm 43. I too have enough cotton t-shirts. I don't want some baggy Hockey Canada jersey. I'd never wear it. I just want a polyester Voyageurs jersey to help me come back in August and cheet on Les Rouges alongside Keisha Buchanan + Nichelle Prince's mums. That's it. But I can't have that if Voyageurs echo "blackdude" sentiment that none of us need jerseys.

I'm all in favor of the ceinture flechee idea. It's briliant + unique. Heck, I even asked a CANw20 player's (Valeria Sanderson) mum about it thru Twitter DM and SHE provided the link to etchiboys. Again, if you don't like it or can't afford it-- no judgment from me. Don't buy it. But I will, and wear it with pride. I grew up in a French Immersion program in Yellowknife. It makes sense to me.

As for the jersey, if it makes sense to Voyagerus to see what Nerea can come up with, I'm proposing an cutom-design online shop approach that only benefits Voyageurs. And yes, as you can see from GreenBlood special orders for gamers, the $50 USD might include any + all customization (which Nerea or GreenBlood can provide). No trial. No errors. No $8,000 of inventory. No money in my pocket.

Allez Les Rouges!

I would never question your support for V's or the game! I don't wanna die.

What I am saying with the inventory and equipment is that there is a considerable investment into this, though investment would be a very dubious word to use.  I'm personally sitting on that debt. I don't want to use the word market, cause I don't think of the V's as a market, but that is the most useful word here, is limited. 

The store will go up as soon as the membership debacle is fixed. A second store is not likely a good idea.

The change to the membership is to move to a lifetime membership.  The reason being is that is just unfair for people outside of the immediate places our teams play. Even in those places our teams often go into hibernation.  So membership is a one time thing, and, as I have been saying in the emails the only way you get out is to become the president of the Honduran soccer federation or take a smiling picture with Jack Warner.

A jersey is a distinct possibility to be the unique item for membership.  It is not decided.  Given the sunk cost here for inventory, equipment, server costs, time, developer help fixing hacks.... the prospect of offloading something as key as a jersey to a 3rd party is not a really attractive proposition.

Unless they have some very special connections, they are likely offloading the PCS.  There are very few if any north american based PCS companies that will touch our volume.  

I also think if we are going to make a jersey is must be PCS (print cut sew), and not sublimated/pressed onto a stock blank.  That isn't good enough. Not a criticism, I don't know what they are proposing, and I would like to find out more. 

I do want to continue this conversation and meet these people. There is a lot more going on here I can't talk about.  I have two  national associations kicking down my door to bring the Voyageurs or something like it to their table.   First I need to fix the V's and get it properly resurrected before even considering anything else.   And before anyone panics, my username is socceronly for a reason.

GreenBlood is a shop in Valencia, Spain. Nerea Palacios lives in Barcelona. You keep talking about volume but you're sitting on $8,000 of inventory. Slightly incongruous.

This is the internet we're talking about. You can't meet the guys at BreenBlood unless you go to Spain. Nerea has met them in person. I'm in Calgary. You can meet me here... or LA. Or we can skype or G+ hangout. Meeting in person is kinda 1980's doncha think? ;) 

Nerea's online store will be set up by GreenBlood within their existing online store, selling a dozen other designs that hundreds of people have asked Nerea to release. GreenBlood's site already has merchant + shipping capabilities... and a reputation.

I don't see a need to wait. But if you wish to withhold a hi-res jpg +/or vector file of the Voyageurs logo-- that is your right... Mr. SoccerOnly. I defer to your leadership. Asked + answered. I have nothing more to add.

GreenBlood is a shop in Valencia, Spain. Nerea Palacios lives in Barcelona. You keep talking about volume but you're sitting on $8,000 of inventory. Slightly incongruous.

This is the internet we're talking about. You can't meet the guys at BreenBlood unless you go to Spain. Nerea has met them in person. I'm in Calgary. You can meet me here... or LA. Or we can skype or G+ hangout. Meeting in person is kinda 1980's doncha think? ;) 

Nerea's online store will be set up by GreenBlood within their existing online store, selling a dozen other designs that hundreds of people have asked Nerea to release. GreenBlood's site already has merchant + shipping capabilities... and a reputation.

I don't see a need to wait. But if you wish to withhold a hi-res jpg +/or vector file of the Voyageurs logo-- that is your right... Mr. SoccerOnly. I defer to your leadership. Asked + answered. I have nothing more to add.

It's not incongruous.  We are just talking about several different things at once, and I am not making myself clear. 

Volume.

I try to keep everything as close to home as possible, for example. 

Pins - Made in Alberta

Toques - Made in Quebec

Caps - Made in Kingston

And I make sure these things are actually made here, not outsourced on Alibaba ect..

I have tried to source fair trade t-shirts made locally, they will not talk to us. You need to order thousands of shirts at a time.  The same goes for any local (NA) Print Cut Sew operation for sublimation.  There are lots of people that offer this, but they almost all offload this to a 3rd party in Asia.  

There are a couple of Canadian sublimation PCS companies that make jerseys/uniforms.   I will use them before I use any company outside of Canada. But these are minimum order of 500 or 1000 pieces. 

Volume & "Market" Size

Basically I fund The Voyageurs.  This does not make money. I purchased a significant amount of inventory of V's products coupled with the server costs ect and the recent problems with hacks this is a significant amount of money.  It's real money, real debt.  I need to sell that inventory to a very limited market.   I just haven't incurred all this debt and all this work, and the work of many other people to have a Voyageurs jersey offloaded to a 3rd party on another continent, or to create a competing online store to the one that is about to launch. 

So...

Volume Voyageurs = Low, small market

Low volume for jersey = high price

Low price for jersey = high volume which we don't have.

If we sell it the first way via a 3rd party, at for us what is a high price at $50 2.5 times more than anything we have ever sold what  happens?

In a very limited market, I am left to carry this debt on the products we have for ... how long? Another year? Another two?

So if party X comes along and sells product Y into this, I am basically fucked for the foreseeable future.  At least enough so that this is not an unreasonable concern. 

You are making yourself quite clear. You won't release a hi-res file of the Voyageurs logo until you recoup $8,000. In so doing, you demonstrate a lack of appreciation that this may be a way of getting some of that $8,000 back.

GreenBlood is local to Nerea-- in Spain. I have no qualms with this approach. With the GreenBlood mini-store, there is no minimum purchase and it will exist for Nerea to sell other designs anyway. If only 5 Voyageurs buy the shirt because only 5 Voyageurs can afford it-- c'est la vie-- but you don't lose a dime. In fact, you make $5 USD. If you don't understand that I'm not asking anyone to put any money down... I can't help you. Just because you didn't choose this way of doing business doesn't mean it never existed or isn't solid.

Bottom line: you refuse to release a hi-res vector file of the Voyageurs logo. This decision seems to have been made without consulting anyone. That's your call, Mr. SoccerOnly. My life will go on without a cool Voyageurs jersey.

You are asking an organization to cede its only source of income to a third party.

Who would accept this, anywhere?

A jersey is on the table as a possibility, it's just not going to come from Spain. We are not giving it up for someone else to profit off of.

Basically I fund The Voyageurs.  This does not make money. I purchased a significant amount of inventory of V's products coupled with the server costs ect and the recent problems with hacks this is a significant amount of money.  It's real money, real debt.  I need to sell that inventory to a very limited market.   I just haven't incurred all this debt and all this work, and the work of many other people to have a Voyageurs jersey offloaded to a 3rd party on another continent, or to create a competing online store to the one that is about to launch. 

So...

Thank you for speaking the truth so plainly... and so eloquently. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. ~Ingrid

Thank you for speaking the truth so plainly... and so eloquently. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you. ~Ingrid

The above is not a complaint. I am fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to do this.

The ideal situation would be to be revenue neutral with no one funding or sponsoring anything, and we raise money for projects when we need to.  That will happen soon.

A confluence of things came together in the last year that tipped things a little too far to one side. 

It's time to fix this and get back to the fun. I am 100% confident that is going to happen.

^ This.

Thanks Ingrid but what Jamie says makes sense. One single place to get Vees merch is better and yes, we are a somewhat nationalistic bunch so supporting "local" businesses is something I think we are happy to get behind.

If it were anybody else, I'd say Jamie's comments sound like someone who wants none of the risk + all of the reward.

But this is JAMIE McLEOD we're talking to and about. His position that, as indicated, has been fraught with an overabundance or risk + debt lately. I wasn't being cavalier or facetious when I offered to help. I've lost a fair coin investing in soccer too. It's not fun. You learn from it and move on. If he wants to make this call solo-- he's earned the right to do so.

There's no rift here. No beef. If I was disgruntled or irked-- y'all would know. I'm not. I put an idea out there. Jamie responded. It was discussed. I'm cool. Hopefully Voyageurs will be around another 20 yrs and I'll get a nice jersey one day. I ain't sweatin' it.

peace + hugs,

Ingrid

btw. my podcast w/ John Herdman this morning was killah! I'll upload it tmro  :)

If it were anybody else, I'd say Jamie's comments sound like someone who wants none of the risk + all of the reward.

But this is JAMIE McLEOD we're talking to and about. His position that, as indicated, has been fraught with an overabundance or risk + debt lately. I wasn't being cavalier or facetious when I offered to help. I've lost a fair coin investing in soccer too. It's not fun. You learn from it and move on. If he wants to make this call solo-- he's earned the right to do so.

There's no rift here. No beef. If I was disgruntled or irked-- y'all would know. I'm not. I put an idea out there. Jamie responded. It was discussed. I'm cool. Hopefully Voyageurs will be around another 20 yrs and I'll get a nice jersey one day. I ain't sweatin' it.

peace + hugs,

Ingrid

btw. my podcast w/ John Herdman this morning was killah! I'll upload it tmro  :)

I was really hoping the designers were local. I want to find some people to work with.  We need a refresh and some new interesting stuff.

I am extremely weary of the U20. The way they have priced it, and my experience from the last couple of women's games is a cautionary tale. 

I'll also have something, as soon as I figure this application out, a place for people to post thier podcasts.

I was really hoping the designers were local. I want to find some people to work with.  We need a refresh and some new interesting stuff.

I hear what y'all are saying. Nerea Palacios is Spanish, not Canadian. Apparel designers this good are not a dime a dozen... not at this level. But I can help find a designer who is CDN if that's what you want. If you ever want to work with Nerea, pls don't hesitate to let me know.