Sign in to follow this  
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Anyone live in London, England?

I've been to the Maple Leaf a few times, it isn't exactly Canadian, it's owened by a big English pub company. They have Moosehead and bad poutine. They show tape delayed hockey on Sunday nights and some next day broadcasts of hockey games. I've never seen MLS or NT games broadcast or advertised that they will be broadcast there.

edit: sorry more specific to your post, I don't live in London so I don't where one might watch MLS or NT games.

Edited by mserson

I've been to the Maple Leaf a few times, it isn't exactly Canadian, it's owened by a big English pub company. They have Moosehead and bad poutine. They show tape delayed hockey on Sunday nights and some next day broadcasts of hockey games. I've never seen MLS or NT games broadcast or advertised that they will be broadcast there.

So its pretty much perfect for a TFC fan, bad food, worse beer and no footy to watch ?

edit: sorry more specific to your post, I don't live in London so I don't where one might watch MLS or NT games.

WHAATT!! London has a generic theamed pub for tourist? Never! best bet for MLS games would be SKY sports. most Pubs that carry TV would show them if you ask the Landlord. That would be Pubs however, rather than Generic Witherspoon Beer Barns. They don't even have TV's unless there's a world cup on.

I perticulary detest Witherspoons due to calling their largest establishment Moon Under Water. Eric Blair must be spitting in his pint ethereal over that one.

Apparently you can get the FCEdmonton Games on the NASL website however. Hey We even have a North Irish chapter of the ESG!

Truth It tweets an everything.

I knew that the Maple Leaf had some sort of satellite that they could record hockey off and play the next day. I was hoping they might also do the same thing for Canadian National Team matches.

As far as tv goes, are there any sports channels that show football besides Sky, BT sport and ESPN?

Looks like I will be moving there in August. Does anyone know if that Maple Leaf pub in Covent Gardens ever shows National Team matches or any MLS? Does the MLS Live website work in England or is it only for Canada and the US?

MLS Live doesn't work outside of North America.

Yeah, unless you really miss tacky Canadian-ness, I'd stay away from the Maple Leaf pub. I think your best bet for CNMT matches would be on-line through some "illegal" feed. Also, I think the new BT Sport is going to be the way to go for MLS as they hold the UK rights; who knows how many TFC, Impact or Whitecaps matches you'll ever get to see though.

If the bar had waiters in mountie costumes, moose heads on the wall, a beaver in every direction and other, as said, tacky "Canadian" things I'd be in and out in an instant. I don't identify with that kind of stuff too much, honestly, even if that makes me unpopular. I find it, as said, tacky, and not really representative of Canada at all. There were times during the Nagano opening ceremonies where I was thinking...man...these guys are out of touch with any Canadian under the age of 35.

If the bar had waiters in mountie costumes, moose heads on the wall, a beaver in every direction and other, as said, tacky "Canadian" things I'd be in and out in an instant. I don't identify with that kind of stuff too much, honestly, even if that makes me unpopular. I find it, as said, tacky, and not really representative of Canada at all. There were times during the Nagano opening ceremonies where I was thinking...man...these guys are out of touch with any Canadian under the age of 35.

That sounds pretty close to the Maple Leaf, except add some old hockey sticks, ski poles and toques. No Mountie uniforms although most of the staff are very friendly Canadian ex-pats. The first time I was there a few years ago the bartender helped call my Mum in Ottawa.

a beaver in every direction and other, as said, tacky "Canadian" things I'd be in and out in an instant.

Quit making it so easy :)

Holy crap. That's what she said.

Moosehead is delicious and Canada's largest independent brewery!

Moosehead is cheap mass produced beer made with corn which is only used in beer because it is cheaper than barley. When you open a bottle of the stuff and smell it right away you can really smell the corn. It is cringeworthy to think that a foreign bar is serving that as representative of Canadian beer. The only consolation being that if it is a British chain pub most of the British beer served there is probably just as bad. On ratebeer.com after 1218 reviews Moosehead has a rating of 2.24 out of 5 which puts it in the lowest 10% of the thousands of beers rated on the site: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/moosehead-lager/203/

Not relevant to the question but I will share my Maple Leaf London story.

I went to London in 2010 to visit a friend who was working over there. His boss was an Irish guy who lived in Chicago and became a huge Blackhawks fan and wanted to take us out to talk hockey. We went to the Maple Leaf and I tried to drink this Irish guy under the table, big mistake especially when we were drinking Guinness. After 9 pints I was destroyed and this Irish guy looked like he could drive home. So I rode the tube from Covent Garden to Hammersmith and threw up on the tube right before I exited at Hammersmith station. I was told this is the quintessential, 'London experience', throwing up on public transport.

The poutine tasted the same coming up as it did going down, so yes its awful. Moosehead also sucks

Edited by finchster