Dub Narcotic

Caleb Clarke

12 hours ago, badname22 said:

Probably would be a decent pickup for CPL 

Not saying he couldn't make a CPL roster, but at 25yo getting an education is probably the smarter move.

Edited by A_Gagne

I know it's popular, but I don't understand that line of thinking. Perhaps I'm missing something (and I don't mean to be snarky, I sincerely don't know if I'm missing it), but you can go back to school any time. Sure, it can be harder to go back when your older, but it's certainly not insurmountable. Caleb will only have ~10 years to make money playing soccer which is an incredible experience. Plus, being a pro athlete is great for a resume.

20 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I know it's popular, but I don't understand that line of thinking. Perhaps I'm missing something (and I don't mean to be snarky, I sincerely don't know if I'm missing it), but you can go back to school any time. Sure, it can be harder to go back when your older, but it's certainly not insurmountable. Caleb will only have ~10 years to make money playing soccer which is an incredible experience. Plus, being a pro athlete is great for a resume.

What if you're 25 and already tried it a couple of times? Maybe time to realize you don't have what it takes and go for the alternate route? I mean He didn't cut it at the Whitecaps nor in D4 Germany, why would cut it now in Can PL? 

1 minute ago, shamrock said:

What if you're 25 and already tried it a couple of times? Maybe time to realize you don't have what it takes and go for the alternate route? I mean He didn't cut it at the Whitecaps nor in D4 Germany, why would cut it now in Can PL? 

I think 25 is still young enough to try one more year. There's no huge reason for him to be Class of 2022 rather than Class of 2023.

5 minutes ago, shamrock said:

25 is not young in soccer years. I'd be surprised if he would make it and if he does, it would say something about the level (it being definitely sub-USL). 

I don't think if he made it that it would show CPL is sub USL level.

The last time Clarke has played USL, he scored 7 goals and followed that up by going to Augburg II and scoring another 8. He hasn't done a lot since then, I think he might have gotten injured but can't quite remember.

He has certainly shown he is capable at that level, maybe he just needs some confidence and another shot

6 minutes ago, shamrock said:

25 is not young in soccer years. I'd be surprised if he would make it and if he does, it would say something about the level (it being definitely sub-USL). 

How so when he already played in USL at 22?  7 goals in 19 starts isn’t terrible.  I’d bet he could catch on in USL again if he wanted to. 

Ok I guess he didn't flunk in USL, 5 years ago. He's played 15 games since. If he'd join CPL in 2019, he'd been out of the game for 3 years. I don't think he's the kind of player CPL should go for.

37 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Ok I guess he didn't flunk in USL, 5 years ago. He's played 15 games since. If he'd join CPL in 2019, he'd been out of the game for 3 years. I don't think he's the kind of player CPL should go for.

Isn't he exactly the kind of player CPL should be going for? There have to be some veterans on these teams. He clearly has been good enough at that level in recent years. The league should be about giving players chances. If a team deems him good enough to play for them, I see no reason to disclude him because he isn't "young" in soccer years. He also isn't old in soccer years either

Sorry - but I hate this talk of "kind of player CPL should go for" as it suggests any Canadian who kicked a ball professionally should automatically be considered.  CPL should go for players who want to play in the CPL.  Caleb Clarke had a great loan stint with Augsburg II five years ago and we all had high hopes for him.  Those hopes of yet to be realized and look less likely now that he has been out of the professional game in recent years. For all I know, and despite his talent, he fell out of love with the game. Until he comes out and says "Yes I want to play in the CPL", I see no reason to diminish his choice to go to a great institution like UBC instead of pursuing a soccer career as a player. 

If they are going to hole=d open tryouts (for unknowns) i dont see why they wouldnt give a guy like Clarke a look.  If the back end of the roster is going to be mainly CDN, local boys and on the cheap side, what kind of players would we expect them to get??  Guys who couldnt make it in Europe, dont want to play for peanuts in USL.  Pacific should jump all over Clarke, Calgary should be all over Micheal Cox, York at Mark Gonzalez.  They will be able to get more minutes here than in USL, live and play at home.  Those guys have showed some scoring ability in the past.  And until the CPL is up and running with bigger salaries and strong clubs, they would make nice #2 or #3 striker in that first year.  

It's a great way to get games in, stay fit, and get an education.

Speaking from experience as a former pro athlete...... You can take as many years off as you want during your post-secondary education and/or take a very reduced course load.

I finished my undergrad at 32, started at 18.

He will play his fall uni season, train with squad through winter season and try out for CPL in spring. 

Good for him, I think it's smart and wish him the best.

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, apbsmith said:

Speaking from experience as a former pro athlete...... You can take as many years off as you want during your post-secondary education and/or take a very reduced course load.

He will play his fall uni season, train with squad through winter season and try out for CPL in spring. 

If you don’t mind me asking what sport did you play.

10 hours ago, El Diego said:

Yes but German 4th division outside of a few of the bigger teams and USL are both semi-pro with low salaries requiring the players to have a second job. The numbers he put up in both were ok but don't really show that he has a lot of potential to go to a higher playing and paying level. He might be good enough for CPL and we do need the league to keep players in the game to catch the rare late bloomers but at the same time it is pretty understandable that someone like him at age 25 would do a realistic evaluation of his prospects and decide to focus on education.

It would be a mistake to build a league on the back of players which couldn't quite cut it in the lower leagues of Europe. I suspect we'll rely on them for the first few years - and maybe one or two blossom - but if we want to build something better and stronger we need to move on quickly from this type of player. We need to give younger players opportunities and sell them on in order to be financially sustainable.

Edited by BCM

4 hours ago, BCM said:

It would be a mistake to build a league on the back of players which couldn't quite cut it in the lower leagues of Europe. I suspect we'll rely on them for the first few years - and maybe one or two blossom - but if we want to build something better and stronger we need to move on quickly from this type of player. We need to give younger players opportunities and sell them on in order to be financially sustainable.

I dont think you build the league off these kinds of guys, they they do deserve a chance at getting recycled into useful players.  Scoop all these guys up, throw it at the wall and see what sticks.  If Gonzalez or Clarke get on a roster and pot a bunch of goals you've kept a guy from going through the cracks.  And that will attract more guys who just didnt quite make the most of their shot overseas and guys that didnt get the attention at MLS academies.  

I’m sure you can find unattached players who were professionals and now are playing L10, PLSQ or in the other provincial men’s leagues out there

A few could make a return to the pro game but still the focus here is on Youth and finding talent that goes unnoticed  

Edited by Thomas

10 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I’m sure you can find unattached players who were professionals and now are playing L10, PLSQ or in the other provincial men’s leagues out there

A few could make a return to the pro game but still the focus here is on Youth and finding talent that goes unnoticed  

Yes and giving our younger players a chance to play professionally and at least earn a living wage in a league full of guys like Caleb Clarke is giving them a lot higher playing level than would be available to most of them now.

23 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Caleb Clark's thread, but you are welcome to DM me. Cheers.

I don't think any of you have a concept of eligibility and U Sports soccer...the rules are fairly strict. Caleb has been a professional for quite some time and was deemed to have used 3 years of eligibility in the process (U Sports charges a year of eligibility for each year played professionally after the age of 20) . That means he only had 2 years left to play on an athletic scholarship in Canada at the highest level. For him this makes total sense. Get half of a 4 year degree finished while paying minimal fees and staying in shape for a potential shot at CPL. Plus UBC is a fairly reputable institution....