Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

The ball starts rolling next week. Mission 2015 and taking things to the next level.

a)Some of us are full-time students and under-employed! I think $35 is a good compromise number for 2013. Perhaps if most people are paying the fee, we bump it up in 2014/2015 when more will be going on.

b)Whatever you are working on in MLS cities, hopefully it expands to NASL cities afterwards

c)Although it makes sense for the "inner-workings" so to speak of the Voyageurs to be in English,

-The new merchandise should have a Voygeurs logo that is bilingual or a French logo option too

-whatever you are planning in Montréal will have to be bilingual to a degree

P.S. That money I gave for the "Taste the Soup" shirt Jamie, consider it a donation ;)

EDIT:

What occured exactly? A link would be nice.

On my phone... but I'll be issuing refunds for all fcked up merch in the next two weeks. Did figure out what was wrong. Post from computer later

Really looking forward to this, hopefully it means a more organized effort for the Gold Cup this year, plus more Vees events in general.

I'd be more than willing to kick down money for a membership.

I'm sure you've already probably already heard this one (or tried something in the area) but see what you can do with the CSA to take some of the financial risk off yourself when it comes to facilitating the sale of tickets. You (and the other people who are moving big blocks of tickets) are giving them a huge boost. And since your only motivation is to create a great atmosphere for the team, that should provide them with some incentive to work with you. more resources for you = more tickets sold for them... win-win

First let me say, The work the leadership does for this group is unbelievable, I've only really been involved over the last two years but I understand the risks he takes and the valuable leadership role he provides.

I'm unsure about this. I just think when people hear "money" it makes something more of a club and less-inclusive for other people. The membership also creates a structure and a government that I think could get really political. The whole loosely-organized group is what drove me here in many ways.

But in the end it's not my money being put out there for ticks, merch, trips so if this is necessary then I completely understand, and I'm more then glad to pay.

First let me say, The work the leadership does for this group is unbelievable, I've only really been involved over the last two years but I understand the risks he takes and the valuable leadership role he provides.

I'm unsure about this. I just think when people hear "money" it makes something more of a club and less-inclusive for other people. The membership also creates a structure and a government that I think could get really political. The whole loosely-organized group is what drove me here in many ways.

But in the end it's not my money being put out there for ticks, merch, trips so if this is necessary then I completely understand, and I'm more then glad to pay.

I really don't think much will change. The goals will still remain simple and focused. Not going to introduce any political structure. It's primarily just a better financial system. That is money generated by membership and merchandise with financial oversight from other members.

The regional stuff will be people willing to do the work. Not elected or anything like that. In terms of outreach there will need to be some control over who can say and do what on our behalf. This is a problem for us right now. People call the CSA, OSA BCSA ect.. all the time saying they are from the Voyageurs blah blah blah. It's no wonder a lot of people involved in governance think we are idiots. That does have to stop.

If this stays as soley about fan related matters as suggested (game day expereince, away trips, merchandise, the forum/web site operation and that sort fo thing), I am for it. The "fan expereince" is the only thing we largely agree upon. In all other matters we are as myopic and dysfunctional as every other organization in Canadian soccer. I agree that a more transparent and robust means of financial oversight is required given how things have grown over the past couple of years.

If this stays as soley about fan related matters as suggested (game day expereince, away trips, merchandise, the forum/web site operation and that sort fo thing), I am for it. The "fan expereince" is the only thing we largely agree upon. In all other matters we are as myopic and dysfunctional as every other organization in Canadian soccer. I agree that a more transparent and robust means of financial oversight is required given how things have grown over the past couple of years.

If people want to reform soccer in this country they can get out and do it. Join a club, learn to coach ect..

What we do:

1. Online/offline community for Canadian soccer fans

2. Supporters section at games

3. Game viewing events

4. Additional events to promote the Voyageurs and help build #1

5. Awards & Christmas cards to strengthen our ties to players

6. Merchandise/branding of the Voyageurs to strengthen 1-5

The branding of The Voyageurs in the general community would be linked with some kind of advocacy to support soccer. The two go hand in hand.

I see what Socceronly proposes as an step to build Voyageurs into more that what we are now. I sincerely would like to see Socceronly making this a reality and moving forward with it. We all have ideas to add things or modify others, but if we wait to have a 'perfect' proposal, it will never get of the ground. Let us be innovative and move with what we got. Refinements can always come later as experience dictates.

What occured exactly? A link would be nice.

I'm going to assume that what Lord Bob is referring to is a friendly in Montreal in 2010, where a group of about 25-30 local fans -- some of whom are regular contributors to the Voyageurs -- decided they wanted to show support in their own way, and wore black instead of red and white. They operated in tandem with the Voyageurs, who were seated in the adjacent section, and took charge of French-language chanting (while the Vs section, comprised of many traveling anglophones, kept it going in English). Despite some fears of how it would turn out ahead of time, I can say from personal experience that it all turned out pretty well.

Of course, the fact that we beat Honduras on that day probably helped my mood.

I'm going to assume that what Lord Bob is referring to is ...
Ok, thanks for explaining squizz.

and less-inclusive for other people...The whole loosely-organized group is what drove me here in many ways.
Now that I think about it, I share this fear as well. 2013 is a good year to test this; if this scares new members away we can always backtrack/re-think the new setup for 2014. Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Ok, thanks for explaining squizz.

Now that I think about it, I share this fear as well. 2013 is a good year to test this; if this scares new memebers away we can always backtrack/re-think the new setup for 2014.

Really nothing will change. Forum will be just as accessible as ever. It will be 100% optional. Membership will not be needed to for access to the supporters section. It will only grant you access to a pre sale. Nothing we will do will shut people out.

The things that will change will only make things more attractive I think.

Improved social media presence.

Front end content

Mobile App for forum/content

Better organized events

Considering I'm the only V where I live, I usually bring friends to games with me. I just wouldn't want anyone to feel like an outsider. But by the sounds of things that won't be an issue.

The question I get most often is: "How do I join?" People generally like being a part of something, especially after having such a good time at games. Membership won't be exclusive but it will, in a way, legitimize what's going on here.

I'm all for it.

The question I get most often is: "How do I join?" People generally like being a part of something, especially after having such a good time at games. Membership won't be exclusive but it will, in a way, legitimize what's going on here.

I'm all for it.

We should have made this happen years ago.

We could have sold 1000 memberships minimum at Maro & Gossip.

Considering I'm the only V where I live, I usually bring friends to games with me. I just wouldn't want anyone to feel like an outsider. But by the sounds of things that won't be an issue.

Oh my no.

People that are willing to go to a game here are people whose hands we shake.

Not that there would be any such thing... but if there were a set of priorities for 'Members' of the Voyageurs the top two would be.

1. Support Canada.

2. Be an ambassadors for the game, make people feel welcome so they will come back.

This works. I had two guys, Ecuador fans after the friendly, who bought tickets to every remaining Canada game after we had drinks with them at Shoeless. One of them bought 28 tickets to the last game.

We think the society we have here is a detriment to the game. Really it's us who have missed an opportunity to truly see its strength.

I'm all for it.

Must admit this was a bit off-putting for me originally ... one of my first questions was 'How do I join?' and even when I figured out that one simply signs up on the forum and you are 'in', this seemed a little too nonchalant. A membership with a fee and some kind of small benefit significantly adds a level of legitimacy and might actually increase the level of buy-in from people. People like to belong to things and be able to point to them ... 'See that ... I'm a part of that.' An official membership and (continuing) high level of welcoming attitude to people who come to games/support in other ways will be very positive IMHO.

Must admit this was a bit off-putting for me originally ... one of my first questions was 'How do I join?' and even when I figured out that one simply signs up on the forum and you are 'in', this seemed a little too nonchalant. A membership with a fee and some kind of small benefit significantly adds a level of legitimacy and might actually increase the level of buy-in from people. People like to belong to things and be able to point to them ... 'See that ... I'm a part of that.' An official membership and (continuing) high level of welcoming attitude to people who come to games/support in other ways will be very positive IMHO.

So you're cool with the bunk beds I am building in my loft and the large order of black hoodies...

So you're cool with the bunk beds I am building in my loft and the large order of black hoodies...

Ha!

My students are staring at me wondering why I am laughing.

I told them the first rule of Voyageurs is to not talk about Voyageurs.

I thought about you as I typed it. We'll do the pilot in Toronto and then Vancouver see how it goes. Learn from that and the MLS aspect of the cities may not matter. So don't despair.... It could come your way too.

Awwww you thought about lil ol me? I just show up to your place and sit back while you run around frantically trying to organize an entire nation-wide supporters group.

However, I'd like to encourage a release of an annual accounting, at least in simple single-page terms: "here's how much money we took in, here's where it all went."

I've been a director of a few boards, and I can tell you right now that we would have to be very careful with how that information is presented. The problem stems from people who don't heavily invest their time, but are interested enough to take note when that information is released. That's when you start getting people raising a stink over the dollars and cents, even though the financial management is sound. It comes from a lack of understanding on their part as to why the money is being used like it is.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe full accountability is required, but know that financial matters can cause a lot of issues if they aren't explained properly.

We think the society we have here is a detriment to the game. Really it's us who have missed an opportunity to truly see its strength.

Jamie you're depressing me lol