Sign in to follow this  
socceronly

The ball starts rolling next week. Mission 2015 and taking things to the next level.

Next week I will start to work on The Voyageurs full time. It is without a doubt the stupidest life decision possible, but it just has to be done. We are too close to building something special and if I don't try it, I know I will regret it the rest of my life.

The opportunity with three major competitions in two years on our soil transitioning into another men's WCQ cycle... Well you get the picture.

I have been thinking of a hundred different ways to write this, so I am just throwing it out there, but to sum it up it's as simple as this: We have to take this to the next level.

• Paid membership.
  • Financial oversight
  • Legal entity (will not be a non profit, just not dealing with that sh!t)
  • Regional structure

In brief:

Paid membership *

$20 +/- $5 (CSA one is $35)

Scarf - new scarf

Annual Voyageurs poster or newsletter/annual (will change depending on content available)

Only way you can buy tickets in the supporters section (not the same as access to supporters section)

Discounts on additional V's merchandise

Something I can't discuss yet, but will only be available in three MLS cities

...Suggestions?

* Paid membership is a way of supporting the greater project of expanding The Voyageurs. It is not mandatory. It's about us really doing something special at the Pan Am Games, U20 WWC and the 2015 WWC

Financial Oversight

Committee of people to ensure receipts are real and money is not evaporating into the cayman islands.

Legal Entity

This will likely be a proprietorship or private corporation with x number of people. Right now we have nothing, and we just can't deal with people professionally like this. It has to change.

How I am going to do this personally isn't clear. I just know I have to, even if it means living in a car. There are some ways people can help, but I'll get to that later.

So?

Next week I will start to work on The Voyageurs full time. It is without a doubt the stupidest life decision possible, but it just has to be done. We are too close to building something special and if I don't try it, I know I will regret it the rest of my life.

If you need help just PM me. As a last resort I have a super low budget film setup and a surprisingly popular youtube channel if you had a good (low budget) concept for an advertisment or something (although you guys seem to do an alright job on your own for these things).

Mostly the jokes about living out of a car are worrying me so make sure you reach out for help before that happens (For example I know places with cheap rent or for getting a crappy job) because it's risky to fully commit yourself, it's also risky not to though so my wisdom amounts to squat.

If you need help just PM me. As a last resort I have a super low budget film setup and a surprisingly popular youtube channel if you had a good (low budget) concept for an advertisment or something (although you guys seem to do an alright job on your own for these things).

Mostly the jokes about living out of a car are worrying me so make sure you reach out for help before that happens (For example I know places with cheap rent or for getting a crappy job) because it's risky to fully commit yourself, it's also risky not to though so my wisdom amounts to squat.

Ha, I'm just kidding about the car. Unless it's one of those rock star buses.

There are ways to make it work. I'll know more over the next few weeks.

I like your passion, but I need more clarification on your major goal here. Is this mostly about financing merchandise and banners and such, to show better support in the supporters section?

What is the major purpose in creating the Voyageurs as a legal entity?

I don't think the price is unreasonable btw.

I'm in. But that last bullet about something only available in the MLS cities once again makes me wonder why I'm still living in S'toon.

I'm in. But that last bullet about something only available in the MLS cities once again makes me wonder why I'm still living in S'toon.

I thought about you as I typed it. We'll do the pilot in Toronto and then Vancouver see how it goes. Learn from that and the MLS aspect of the cities may not matter. So don't despair.... It could come your way too.

One small criticism perhaps ... $25 for a membership fee in this day and age is actually very small. I'm sure many people here (Tuscan ... ahem) spend way more than that out on a single Saturday night. I will be paying significantly more than that to my babysitter so i can take my wife out for Valentine's Day. Therefore that is a pretty low membership fee IMHO.

Kudos for taking this risk ... you have more balls than I do that's for sure.

I like your passion, but I need more clarification on your major goal here. Is this mostly about financing merchandise and banners and such, to show better support in the supporters section?

What is the major purpose in creating the Voyageurs as a legal entity?

I don't think the price is unreasonable btw.

Major goal is to expand the organization and ensure its relevance and reduce the risk involved for myself or whoever runs it in the future. I put hundreds of thousands of dollars through my own account over several years. This has to be properly organized and accountable. If you combine everything that is coming with another WCQ cycle, friendlies we don't even know about it could be well over a million dollars in ticket sales. You just can't have people moving that much money around on a wink and a handshake.

I am in favour of any changes to make the Voyageurs more relevant and accountable. I am also willing to pay a membership fee.

As Don't Panic mentioned in the Ottawa Voyaguers - CFL thread, trademarking the name Voyageurs and the logo may be a worthy investment if there is potentially going to be a soccer or football team in Ottawa with that name. If you like, I can do some more digging on the CIPO website for details [http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr00002.html], but, for starters, the filing application fee is $250.

So how does it work, as a guy who has never had the opportunity to go to a national soccer team game? Is it you that buys big groups of tickets in a section and then sells them to other Voyageurs? I know there is merchandise involved, but when discussing money coming in and out, is that the majority of it? Or do you do stuff with the air travel as well?

I blow hot and cold on this kind of thing, but it would be hard to argue as long as there was accountability with, as much as possible, no bureaucracy. Really, as simple as "appoint a few trusted people around the country who have some responsibilities, and make the books public." No elections, no nonsense, no getting our heads stuck up our own asses trying to be everything to all people, goals from the top down. As we saw in Montreal a couple of years ago, those who don't like it can and will strike out on their own.

Having said that, I hope that, as much as possible, the Voyageurs won't be used as an "official" group with ties to the CSA, or to monopolize supporters section. I know that the latter in particular in the CSA's hands as much as ours, but be aware that people will want to go their own way, and we should not stop that, as the more support for Canada the happier we all shall be.

The fee is fine. A Vancouver Southsiders membership without shipping is $30. Red Patch Boys is $25. The 107ist of Portland is $25. I would pay that for a Voyageurs membership.

I blow hot and cold on this kind of thing, but it would be hard to argue as long as there was accountability with, as much as possible, no bureaucracy. Really, as simple as "appoint a few trusted people around the country who have some responsibilities, and make the books public." No elections, no nonsense, no getting our heads stuck up our own asses trying to be everything to all people, goals from the top down. As we saw in Montreal a couple of years ago, those who don't like it can and will strike out on their own.

Having said that, I hope that, as much as possible, the Voyageurs won't be used as an "official" group with ties to the CSA, or to monopolize supporters section. I know that the latter in particular in the CSA's hands as much as ours, but be aware that people will want to go their own way, and we should not stop that, as the more support for Canada the happier we all shall be.

The fee is fine. A Vancouver Southsiders membership without shipping is $30. Red Patch Boys is $25. The 107ist of Portland is $25. I would pay that for a Voyageurs membership.

The goal remains the same. Build the supporters section, though we do other things too... and I would like to them better.

Cards

Awards

Merchandise

Events

No elections, no nonsense. Simple with one goal, bring the best possible support for Canada no matter where they play.

I don't think we will ever be official in a supporters group kind of sense, they have their own fan club for that. But there is no denying we have a relationship with the CSA and a good one at that. As long as we keep our goals simple, I don't see any of that ever getting compromised.

The goal remains the same. Build the supporters section, though we do other things too... and I would like to them better.

Cards

Awards

Merchandise

Events

No elections, no nonsense. Simple with one goal, bring the best possible support for Canada no matter where they play.

I don't think we will ever be official in a supporters group kind of sense, they have their own fan club for that. But there is no denying we have a relationship with the CSA and a good one at that. As long as we keep our goals simple, I don't see any of that ever getting compromised.

I am in favour of every word of that. My sole remaining concern is openness/accountability.

It should go without saying that I would be delighted to help in whatever capacity was necessary.

So how does it work, as a guy who has never had the opportunity to go to a national soccer team game? Is it you that buys big groups of tickets in a section and then sells them to other Voyageurs? I know there is merchandise involved, but when discussing money coming in and out, is that the majority of it? Or do you do stuff with the air travel as well?

That is 99% of it. But there are real expenses. The server costs money, posters cost money, banners cost money, etc.... Doing this ad hoc all the time just turns into begging and people tune it out. Moving into these big tournaments we will need significant merchandise and that will be a large capital outlay that no one should risk.

The Supporters Section (website will be back up soon) was formed to handle travel. The Cuba trip is an example of this, and hopefully more things like it will happen in the future. It uses the resources and connections of a larger travel company. More on that later.

I am in favour of every word of that. My sole remaining concern is openness/accountability.

It should go without saying that I would be delighted to help in whatever capacity was necessary.

Right now there isn't any.

Keeping it simple it would go something like this.

A couple of people have access to the PP account, check receipts and costs. There would have to be an actual bank account too as we can't transfer money from PP to TM. We will have a private management forum where all this is posted and tracked.

Right now there isn't any.

Indeed.

A couple of people have access to the PP account, check receipts and costs. There would have to be an actual bank account too as we can't transfer money from PP to TM. We will have a private management forum where all this is posted and tracked.

This mostly sounds fine. However, I'd like to encourage a release of an annual accounting, at least in simple single-page terms: "here's how much money we took in, here's where it all went." The Voyageurs aren't like club supporter groups: we only have a few events every year and we're scattered to hell and gone so many of us don't know each other and can't talk shop over a beer.

Indeed.

This mostly sounds fine. However, I'd like to encourage a release of an annual accounting, at least in simple single-page terms: "here's how much money we took in, here's where it all went." The Voyageurs aren't like club supporter groups: we only have a few events every year and we're scattered to hell and gone so many of us don't know each other and can't talk shop over a beer.

Sorry I didn't write that, I was kind of assuming we would do that.

Paid membership *

$20 +/- $5 (CSA one is $35)

Scarf - new scarf

Annual Voyageurs poster or newsletter/annual (will change depending on content available)

Only way you can buy tickets in the supporters section (not the same as access to supporters section)

Discounts on additional V's merchandise

Something I can't discuss yet, but will only be available in three MLS cities

...Suggestions?

... $25 for a membership fee in this day and age is actually very small. .

a)Some of us are full-time students and under-employed! I think $35 is a good compromise number for 2013. Perhaps if most people are paying the fee, we bump it up in 2014/2015 when more will be going on.

b)Whatever you are working on in MLS cities, hopefully it expands to NASL cities afterwards

c)Although it makes sense for the "inner-workings" so to speak of the Voyageurs to be in English,

-The new merchandise should have a Voygeurs logo that is bilingual or a French logo option too

-whatever you are planning in Montréal will have to be bilingual to a degree

P.S. That money I gave for the "Taste the Soup" shirt Jamie, consider it a donation ;)

EDIT:

As we saw in Montreal a couple of years ago, those who don't like it can and will strike out on their own.
What occured exactly? A link would be nice. Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille