Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Where do we go from here?

Obviously there have been a lot of threads about where we as a soccer country go from here, but where do we ourselves as Voyageurs actually go? How do we keep up the momentum (obviously to do so completely is impossible) from the last two years?

Our next competitive games on Canadian soil will be the Women's World Cup, which doesn't come until 2015. Until then if we combine women's and men's national team friendlies we probably only have at most 4 friendlies spread across the country per year, which won't be nearly enough to keep casual fans interested. Is there a way that we can focus on making sure we aren't starting from square one again when the WWC and WCQs hit again in 2016?

I think we seriously need to think about making the Voyageurs a bigger presence across the country (not just in Toronto) over the next three years. We need to make sure the work that people like Jaime and Dino put in over the last two years selling tickets wasn't for nothing.

Obviously there have been a lot of threads about where we as a soccer country go from here, but where do we ourselves as Voyageurs actually go? How do we keep up the momentum (obviously to do so completely is impossible) from the last two years?

Our next competitive games on Canadian soil will be the Women's World Cup, which doesn't come until 2015. Until then if we combine women's and men's national team friendlies we probably only have at most 4 friendlies spread across the country per year, which won't be nearly enough to keep casual fans interested. Is there a way that we can focus on making sure we aren't starting from square one again when the WWC and WCQs hit again in 2016?

I think we seriously need to think about making the Voyageurs a bigger presence across the country (not just in Toronto) over the next three years. We need to make sure the work that people like Jaime and Dino put in over the last two years selling tickets wasn't for nothing.

We won't be at square one. This is what's in store for 2013.

New website will help on a lot of fronts. I am hoping it's a Christmas present, but I need to find a job or I will be making it from China.

A more membership driven system, so people feel they are joining something with some 'rewards' for membership.

Better merchandising, and merchandising tied to membership.

Travel packages for the Gold Cup

Noise and PR. It took two years to get a single 1 minute radio interview, and our events are totally ignored. This needs to change.

The groundwork for the women's world cup/U20/Pan Am Games will start next year after the other things are in place.

Maybe if we are able to show how the Gold Cup is an important tournament domestically and the CONCACAF equivalent of the Euros, people will at-least be interested to follow the team and stay familiar with the program :/

A more membership driven system, so people feel they are joining something with some 'rewards' for membership.

Better merchandising, and merchandising tied to membership.

Membership? Identified how? What does this mean? Do you have concrete ideas or vague notions? Will we all be "card carrying" Voyageurs?

EDIT:

Our next competitive games on Canadian soil will be the Women's World Cup, which doesn't come until 2015.

Really random question: will we be able to have big banner/big flags/our own section? Last time (WWC 2011) tickets were not personalised and there was an earlier sale date for groups greater than 11 people. We learned the match day schedule and (where the host played their group games) between September and December 2009 I think. So we should learn the schedule and where our CanWNT will play their group games in a year from now.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Glad to hear there are some plans in place for things in the future. Hopefully we have enough games to keep "Voyageurs events" going up until the Women's World Cup. Even if there aren't maybe it would be worth doing Voyageurs events with Umbro giveaways or something for Canada away games or MLS/CCL games with Canadian teams.

Glad to hear there are some plans in place for things in the future. Hopefully we have enough games to keep "Voyageurs events" going up until the Women's World Cup. Even if there aren't maybe it would be worth doing Voyageurs events with Umbro giveaways or something for Canada away games or MLS/CCL games with Canadian teams.

yes, I'd like to see a V's presence at all MLS/NASL games. Recruiting/membership drive

yes, I'd like to see a V's presence at all MLS/NASL games. Recruiting/membership drive

We can(ish) possibly do this at V'Cup games. But it's a no go at regular MLS games, that has been made very clear.

I doubt Vancouver or Montreal would be any different.

It seems like Toronto was particularly distrusful of fans though. You related a pretty crazy story.

There isn't much you can do.

You can't have an unaffiliated organization promoting an event with different sponsors inside another venue. It's just no going to happen.

Outside, perhaps. But I think given the time frame we have some other options.

Doing it outside, with no upcoming immediately relevant game at the given location... might look odd.

I was thinking of the idea of Voyageurs membership. Someone in a an earlier post mentionned Voyageur cards, but then I thought...wouldn't it be more appropriate to have Voyageurs passports?

It would be simple enough. Sell the said "passports" through the website. Like in real passports, the person purchasing it would have to submit a picture (any picture -hopefully one of a decked out Canada fan - as long as it shows the persons face clearly) and would have to submit some basic personal information (name, birthday, address, etc.). V's could charge $20 for the passport. At every home game (friendly or otherwise), the CSA could supply a personalized stamp which states the date, stadium, city and opponents. This would be stamped into an empty page of the passport at a designated entrance of the stadium on game day.

I think this would make for a fantastic marketing tool. If the CSA would really like to tap into this tool, they could go one step further and bring a stamp to away games so that loyal V's could get their stamps there too. They could also help out by making this a game day feature. People at the stadiums could go to a tent, get their picture done and become official Voyageurs. This would be a smash hit with the kids and future V's. It could also make for a fantastic souvenir, which would double as an incentive for people to come out again and identify with the group, join them in chants and wear their CSA jerseys with pride!

I'm just saying, the Voyageurs name is what makes this a unique and, I think, relevant concept for both marketing and promotion of the group.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited by NSSoccer

^It's good to see people being creative, but realistically, what grown man would want this? My Voyageurs stamps are broken TV sets.

Here are some of the other country soccer supporter membership details, costs, privileges, etc. Just to keep the discussion flowing. While I like some of the incentives, some of the costs are very high. Anyways,

Just some reading/research material:

USA

Scotland

Wales

England

Finally, here is an endeavor taken on by the Baltimore Orioles of the MLB (Birdland Passport).

I can see how the passport idea can seem kind of childish, and maybe it could serve more as a fundraising effort for the V's. A way to get children and teens into the V spirit and begin breeding them into future V's. Although, I still think that a small membership fee (which would give a membership card or passport) would be a good way to raise funds for TIFO's, banners, Voyageurs events and projects, etc. If there were some benefits, such as ticket priority (getting first pick on seat location...not necessarily because seats are limited in BMO), 10-15% discounts on CSA gear and Voyageurs gear respectively, etc., then I am sure that it would be worth while. The stamps could be a bonus for the younger generation.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

^It's good to see people being creative, but realistically, what grown man would want this? My Voyageurs stamps are broken TV sets.

Actually, as nerdy of an idea as it is, I would love something like this. Of course living in Calgary it would be quite empty...