Sign in to follow this  
canadianfoot

Voyageurs Cup FINAL 1st Leg (R) 16-05-2012.......and OnLine STREAM

Are we talking about the same Henry who stood on the penalty spot and left Hassli 15 yards open to tee that up?

Are we talking about the same Henry who stood on the penalty spot and left Hassli 15 yards open to tee that up?

Yes. Henry has been great this year, but still subject to momentary lapses in concentration. Was a great strike though.

This might one of the few times this season that Winter outcoached somebody. There is no good reason to have all of Thorrington, Watson and Davidson out there. Starting Barbara was puzzling too. Seemed Rennie didn't think he could get away with a B lineup but wanted to rest some starters so he went with B+. Not good enough.

People are saying TFC will be that much better next week with Frings. I'm not convinced and I'd go so far as to say that Frings has been disappointing when healthy this season. Julian certainly wouldn't have been in the game as much if Frings had been playing.

This might one of the few times this season that Winter outcoached somebody. There is no good reason to have all of Thorrington, Watson and Davidson out there. Starting Barbara was puzzling too. Seemed Rennie didn't think he could get away with a B lineup but wanted to rest some starters so he went with B+. Not good enough.

Davidson provides the pure d-mid support but the other two guys seem limited in what they can do. Thorrington looks to be that dime-a-dozen linking holding mid type that this league has in (over)abundance, a steady-eddie who won't hurt you but lacks dynamism. Watson looks like another workmanlike, high on graft/low on craft type. With that, Etienne looked isolated and with JDG and Dunfield executing their defensive responsibilites effectively, most of the threat stemmed from Camilo.

Harsh. TFC defence was in middle of transition. Normally any player would have taken a touch before shooting on that cross which would have given Henry time to react. Nobody expected Hassli to tee up like that

Davidson provides the pure d-mid support but the other two guys seem limited in what they can do. Thorrington looks to be that dime-a-dozen linking holding mid type that this league has in (over)abundance, a steady-eddie who won't hurt you but lacks dynamism. Watson looks like another workmanlike, high on graft/low on craft type. With that, Etienne looked isolated and with JDG and Dunfield executing their defensive responsibilites effectively, most of the threat stemmed from Camilo.
Barry Robson can't come fast enough for Whitecaps. Don't know why Rennie didn't start Chiumiento, unless he was worried about fatigue factor

Barry Robson can't come fast enough for Whitecaps. Don't know why Rennie didn't start Chiumiento, unless he was worried about fatigue factor

Pretty much.. need to remember that the Whitecaps had a bit more travel behind them coming into this game so had to try and balance things a bit more. Last Wednesday @ home to Edmonton and then all the way to NE for Saturday and then back home again last night.

C'mon, really? Any other player 99 times out of 100 would sail that over the bar, without having to settle the ball down. That's more than enough time for Henry to close him down. Henry is a solid CB worthy of a CANADIAN MNT call up. We're not talking about including Henry in Italy's defence.

You can justify it any way you like, but the fact remains he fluffed his mark and it cost them the win.

I thought he had a solid game, just drifted mentally for a few moments and Hassli punished him for it. It's a cruel game.

Well I had one of the best views of that final strike and wow what a goal. Hassli is pure clutch.

Too bad travel forced rennie to sit dc and big e to start.

Reffing was weak too, Plata needs to learn to be a pro and stop diving, he makes Camilo look like a saint.

Edited by TheKottonmouthed

You can justify it any way you like, but the fact remains he fluffed his mark and it cost them the win.

I thought he had a solid game, just drifted mentally for a few moments and Hassli punished him for it. It's a cruel game.

Henry was zonal marking. If he drifted off to cover Hassli, there would have been a massive hole in the middle of box. If anything, one should ask where was Ashtone Morgan? Again, he would have had enough time to cover Hassli if Hassli took a touch to volley, which is what usually happens.

Henry was in good position to cover a lot of possibilities. To blame him for failing to cover a player who took a pin point cross from 2/3 of the width pitch and to drill a volley like that is harsh.

Henry was zonal marking. If he drifted off to cover Hassli, there would have been a massive hole in the middle of box. If anything, one should ask where was Ashtone Morgan? Again, he would have had enough time to cover Hassli if Hassli took a touch to volley, which is what usually happens.

Henry was in good position to cover a lot of possibilities. To blame him for failing to cover a player who took a pin point cross from 2/3 of the width pitch and to drill a volley like that is harsh.

Agreed - I'd go as far as saying it's "incorrect" rather than harsh. That's the sort of goal where you congratulate the goalscorer, rather than blame the defender. The bigger problem was letting Rochat run down the field & get in the cross. But I wouldn't be too harsh on TFC as a whole, thought they were unlucky & deserved the win, even if the 1-1 draw does give them the edge heading into the 2nd leg. Too bad that two handballs on the same play weren't spotted by the Ref but those seem to be the sort of calls that TFC never get called in their favour, c'est la vie....

AToo bad that two handballs on the same play weren't spotted by the Ref but those seem to be the sort of calls that TFC never get called in their favour, c'est la vie....

Want some cheese with that?

As for the Hassili goal, that was a terrific strike. As for Henry, it's great to see him in the line up ahead of the likes of Aceval and he'll continue to develop. I'm looking forward to an excellent match back at BMO and as a neutral that's all I care about (as well as making sure guys like NT guys like de Guzman and Morgan play well and stay healthy).

Edited by BearcatSA

The officiating had it's good and bad moments but was clearly the best we've had so far in the V's Cup matches but still leaves a lot to be desired. I'll give this crew a 6/10 which is the first time I've gone above 4 this year.

I must agree the official(who exactly?) tried to keep the game flow and remain neutral. He did make a few mistakes but that happens to the best.

Now would be interesting if we(supporters no matter what team) would be happy with say having a Ref from Europe(along with linesmen). Or would we still find something wrong....they are human and Video Replays are something us TV viewers have at home in HD.

Want some cheese with that?

I'd love to have cheese with anything actually, be it Triscuits or comments that end with a clear shrug of the shoulder indicating that one is not really bothered all that much.

Although if you want to hear me actually whine, I'm happy to discuss how I think its a travesty that Vancouver can even field a team with no real Canadians in a Canadian championship. Just let me know and I'll oblige.... :)

I'd love to have cheese with anything actually, be it Triscuits or comments that end with a clear shrug of the shoulder indicating that one is not really bothered all that much.

I'm not text savvy enough to know what that icon looks like ;)

Henry was zonal marking. If he drifted off to cover Hassli, there would have been a massive hole in the middle of box.

The only other Whitecap within 30 yards was marked and covered.

Thank god they only scored and there was no empty hole in the box.

Now would be interesting if we(supporters no matter what team) would be happy with say having a Ref from Europe(along with linesmen). Or would we still find something wrong....they are human and Video Replays are something us TV viewers have at home in HD.

Not sure about replays, but how can you yellow card Dunfield for intercepting a quickly taken free kick when no yards were asked for, or if they were asked for the Whitecaps player didn't wait for the whistle. That is just a fundamental misunderstanding of the rules which for a head ref is unacceptable. Missing calls is one thing and it happens, but not knowing the rules of the game is another issue.

I just watched the game... Here's my thoughts.

- Hassli's goal was unbelievable.

- the officiating in this game, and this tournament has seemed sub par. The three onfield officials don't even have 2-way radios? Don't MLS refs wear those?

- Craig and Jerry need monitors in the booth, they can't even get the call right on replays. Oh what? They have monitors in the booth?! WTF?

- 2 players who I thought stood out for their lack of contribution considering their pedigree, Plata and Le Toux.

- attendance? Why don't people like this tournament?

- Peter Montagliani needs to buy a shirt that fits, the one he was wearing wasn't even done up. Classy.

I don't want to wade into the VWFC v TFC rivalry so I won't comment on football specifics.

Oh ya...

Why don't these teams have a PR person on the sideline who can translate for their players. I was pumped to hear what Hassli had to say about his goal and then... Nothing. He struggled because he was probably nervous and he obviously doesn't have a comfortable grip on the language yet.

Sign in to follow this  

• Image may contain: 2 people, text

Pre Game Events

Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am

• canpl-game-cropped.png

Join us for this historic game!

The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

Tickets
    pixel.gif