Sign in to follow this  
Redcoatsforever

Attendance prediction: Eddies v. Caps (Commonwealth)

It's obvious the Voyageurs Cup isn't really an "event" in Edmonton, the same way it's not in Vancouver or Toronto. The Eddies got regular season attendances better than that last year.

Forever Thursday, noted the following on the ESG forum before the game.

"We went to the West Edmonton Mall on Saturday, and near the Chapters and HMV, there was the FCE blowup soccer net. It was being run by a couple of Sticks and Stones hipsters who were promoting this event. They knew nothing about it. I said Voyageurs Cup, and they stared blankly at me, before saying I must be mistaken. I had to explain who the V's were, how they bought the trophy, and how this tournament has a quality history. They didn't seem to care. In fact they had been telling people it was a friendly of sorts. F**K! I wish everything FCE did was in house and that they stopped spending money on third party pantywastes."

'Nuff said?

It is a disgrace. Although a late start on a cold-ish Wednesday night didn't really help. I think the 7pm start time is crucial. Earlier than that people can't get off work, go home, grab a quick bite and get to the game... any later and there's opportunity to get too comfortable at home and say "bah... I'll catch the game on TV".

Last year TFC was a bit more of a draw because a)it was the first home game FCEd played as a "real" team (with the year before being a "showcase of friendlies" rather than league play) and b)a MLS team with Beckham, Henri, or some other former superstar isn't a huge draw, and c)because no one even knows what the Voyageurs Cup is.

If Tom and Dave fold the tent, they have only themselves to blame. They entrusted the franchise to a man that has a proven track record of burying soccer in this city; others involved in operations had little or no experience with sports administration, let alone in soccer. Leip is a nice fellow, but has no connections whatsoever with soccer in Canada.

Additionally, they released some Alberta-based players, brought in internationals, and now find themselves less competitive than before.

P.S. Lodeweges was at the match.

P.S. Lodeweges was at the match.

I'd take him back. Who wouldn't? Sinkgraven has his merits but, with the exception of Pinto, all of Edmonton's leading players came through Lodeweges.

Watching the game it looked like no one was there but I thought it was because of the big stadium and camera angles. 2,777 fans is a fuc-king disgrace. Whatever the goodwill and capabilities of the owners, Edmonton will not keep a team very long if their attendances continue like this and NASL attendances so far.

Reading this thread from the start guesses started at 20k, then to 15k, then to 10k, then to 7k, then to 5k, then back up to about 7-8k. In the end not even 3k. Ouch Edmonton.

If we are to be disappointed with that turnout, wait til you see what you would get if they added amateur teams (or lower level sides) to the competition. Thats why i am not in favour of adding anymore clubs unless they are at NASL level (div 2) at the very least. For now anyways.

Until the competition matures a little, adding other clubs right now might just ultimately lead to the death of the whole event.

How much longer is FC Edmonton going to be around? With these type of numbers?

It can't be more than one year, two tops.

My fear as well. The really weird part is that FC Edmonton is one of the more professional pro sports teams in Alberta. I am not exaggerating either. Their social media, appearance, merchandise, structure, sponsorships, event broadcasts, coaching, team, academy, etc...

There just seems to be one area they can't figure out. Ticket sales. I would honestly print a few thousand tickets, send a few people out with debit/credit machines, and knock down the doors of every business, bar, and home in the entire city and surrounding area. I would sell at least fifty tickets a day. Add that to existing season ticket holders, and folks that get theirs through ticketmaster, because they were already planning on going, and you get 3,000 - 5,000 fans to a game.

I keep telling myself that our first home game was a "sell-out" because we only had seating for 1,100, but we got 1,300 out. Well there wasn't a cap on tickets at all, so really, we just got 1,300 fans to our first freaking home game.

1. Turn this bitch into a non-profit org.

2. Get some help from the Alberta Government

3. Bring in some Corporate help for sponsorship

4. Give tickets away if you have to. Thats the only way to expose the product. Otherwise be content with a crowd of less then 3000, for arguably the biggest game of the season, leading the club only closer to the brink of failure.

1. Turn this bitch into a non-profit org.

2. Get some help from the Alberta Government

3. Bring in some Corporate help for sponsorship

4. Give tickets away if you have to. Thats the only way to expose the product. Otherwise be content with a crowd of less then 3000, for arguably the biggest game of the season, leading the club only closer to the brink of failure.

#2 might be dificult, as no-one wears skates or helmets on a Soccer field.

I just wonder if the Market that wants soccer, is not already max out on its soccer buget, post indoor season.

Cost in the Edmonton region to put two kids in Indoor league is about $600. If they want to play above community level they are going to be paying more. The Flesh may be willing but is the pocket book still too weak?

remember we all have more income once we stop paying the taxman post July.

Personally I think the Timing of the competition is not condusive to getting big crows out anyway. Still too much hockey going on and the good weathers yet to kick in.

Perhaps the club needs to work with a local bar to do a promotion similar to those of hockey/football games. For $30, you can get a ticket, a ride to and from the game, a pint, and a burger (or something like that). Those deals are huge sellers for CFL games.

So I had a thought and checked the EMSA schedule for 2nd May...

Guess What?

Full programme was in action that night.

Hard to get fans to game if they are commited to playing or watching their kids playing at the same time the games going on.

Sign in to follow this  

• canpl-game-cropped.png

Join us for this historic game!

The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

Tickets
    pixel.gif