Sign in to follow this  
Redcoatsforever

Attendance prediction: Eddies v. Caps (Commonwealth)

Whitecaps once drew quite well at Commonwealth against Galaxy, I wonder how well the match will draw when Edmonton actually has a home team?

Also worth noting is that this years match at Commonwealth is at 8pm, giving people time to make it to the match, whereas last season I believe kickoff was 6pm MST?

Either way, I'm going to be optimistic in my estimate: ~20,000 in attendance.

20K, would be great, especially as some groupon sites are offering 2 tix @ $28.

I'm feeling it would be closer to 15K though. It is still NHL playoff month after all.

Edited by alberta white

20K, would be great, especially as some groupon sites are offering 2 tix @ $28.

I'm feel it would be closer to 15K though. It is still NHL playoff month after all.

I agree with this strategy. Now is not the time to make a money grab. It should be all about presenting the product to as many people as possible, and if that means practically giving away tickets, then so be it.

Agreed; in the Grand scheme of things, reality would dictate that this is a one off that can be used as a loss leader to promote both the club(s) and the game.

A&W have mama burgers for $1.50 , the Eddies have the caps for 14 bucks.;)

I'm cursing the fact this game has to be mid-week to accommodate league scheduling. I really really wanted to make this one, but won't be able to due to work :( Goddamnit all of you who are going better rock the atmosphere as hard as you can!

20,000 is a tad optimistic, but everything points to a crowd of close to 15,000:

- A recognizable MLS opponent (who is doing alright this season)

- Vancouver supporters (from both Edmonton and Vancouver)

- A reasonable start time that the average person can make

- Potentially better weather

- An additional year of exposure to the Edmonton sports scene (combined with the loss of the Capitals baseball team)

It's really hard to predict this kind of thing in Edmonton though. There are still a lot of people who don't even know FCE exists, as well as a bunch of people who seem to refuse to offer support until Edmonton has an MLS team. Regardless, here's hoping we don't run out of beer this year.

Don't Worry Bob, It'll be us taking Shots at you on wednesday, But only if you go in goal :D.

On a slightly serious note: One of the girls in the office that I passed the groupon to who is not a regular Soccer Fan... bought SIX!

Edited by alberta white

Don't Worry Bob, It'll be us taking Shots at you on wednesday, But only if you go in goal :D.

It must be great for you guys to see a big professional team coming to town. You probably feel like Barcelona's playing against you, eh?

Well, we are use to going 70mins with a man down. So long as we get a result like Chelski I ain't bothered.

As for the Boys from West London. All I can say is..Roukes Drift, Gallipoli, Dunkirk... Yep! Rear guard actions are very popular with the British.

I'm feeling less than 10,000; probably in the 8,000 range. Which is still not bad for the NASL, so don't take that as a shot!

Aw man... I have to agree with Lord Bob on this one (can't believe I'm saying that...)

I would love nothing more than to see 20,000 and have the lower bowl completely filled at Commonwealth. However, there has been NO billboard advertising this year. There has been a lot more in press, which is awesome to see, and I'm really hoping that it translates to more people in the stands. History isn't really that great though. FCE attracted just under 6000 last year against TFC (arguably a bigger draw as TFC has more history in the MLS), and the exhibition games averaged at about 9000 if I remember correctly.

The LA/Vancouver game is very misleading. The main focus there was Beckham playing in Edmonton, and the stands were filled with screaming girls and people who were celebrity watching.

My estimate is 7500. My optomistic estimate is 10,000. The club has grown in leaps and bounds from last year in terms of professionalism, but there were still only 1200 people there for the home opener. I'm hopeful that Vancouver has the "star power" to attract more people. I think the Eddies can put in a good showing and get more fans on board this year, if people come to check them out.

I say 5,000. No advertising in the city this time, and unfortunately Vancouver doesn't have the star power to pull a crowd.

The team said they are predicting about 7000. Not a great number, but it's ok. Had the team advertised as much this year as they did last year against Toronto, I would have guessed they could push 10k easily.

When I was a kid back in England we used to have the ability to pay on the door. It was called a turnstile.

Been away from there for a while now so I'm not sure if they still exist. Adelaide United has them, well it did back '08.

Has this ever been the situation over here?

I recall it was available at Foote last year as well.

When I was a kid back in England we used to have the ability to pay on the door. It was called a turnstile.

Been away from there for a while now so I'm not sure if they still exist. Adelaide United has them, well it did back '08.

Has this ever been the situation over here?

I recall it was available at Foote last year as well.

I paid at a turn style at Griffin Park in February but had to buy tickets from the box office at the Valley in October so it's still available but I am guessing the larger clubs in England don't really do it anymore.

I paid at a turn style at Griffin Park in February but had to buy tickets from the box office at the Valley in October so it's still available but I am guessing the larger clubs in England don't really do it anymore.

Thanks...I love it when Charlton Athletic is implied as a "larger club". :-) I think there are still some matches at the Valley which are pay at the turnstile but that's only for the home sections. I did pay at the turnstiles for St. Johnstone-Hearts although there were only about 4,500 at the match.

I say 5,000. No advertising in the city this time, and unfortunately Vancouver doesn't have the star power to pull a crowd.

I disagree with ya Shawn. I think the 7000 is pretty accurate. There has been ads around town, but the club and its publicity group has taken a different approach from last season. There's been quite a run of ads in the Journal and Sun about tomorrow, as well the club has been utilizing radio instead of billboards. Hot 107 has been promoting the club a lot through ads as well as contests for tickets, and the club has been on CBC radio as well as Shine FM quite regularily.

Watching the game it looked like no one was there but I thought it was because of the big stadium and camera angles. 2,777 fans is a fuc-king disgrace. Whatever the goodwill and capabilities of the owners, Edmonton will not keep a team very long if their attendances continue like this and NASL attendances so far.

Wow - less than half of last year. Really surprising. Was there anything else going on? Weather issues?

Eskimos showed new jerseys ;)

It's obvious the Voyageurs Cup isn't really an "event" in Edmonton, the same way it's not in Vancouver or Toronto. The Eddies got regular season attendances better than that last year.

Sign in to follow this  

• Image may contain: 2 people, text

Pre Game Events

Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am

• canpl-game-cropped.png

Join us for this historic game!

The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

Tickets
    pixel.gif