Jump to content
deschamp86

Canadian Nationalization Countdown

Recommended Posts

I wouldn't want Piatti to play for Canada. He would likely not compete in World Cup qualifying, and therefore not improve our chances to qualify for the next World Cup. In the mean time he would take playing time away from actual Canadians wanting to compete for Canada and improve the team long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ruffian said:

I wouldn't want Piatti to play for Canada. He would likely not compete in World Cup qualifying, and therefore not improve our chances to qualify for the next World Cup. In the mean time he would take playing time away from actual Canadians wanting to compete for Canada and improve the team long term.

Like Arfield? Wotherspoon?

If Piatti gets a Canadian passport he's as Canadian as you or I (or a guy like Arfield, who has probably spent less time in Canada than Piatti...)

Edited by Bertuzzi44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The massive 6-foot-7 (and growing) England-born, Canada-developed goalkeeper has again accepted the USA U17 callup with CONCACAF U17 World Cup qualifiers looming. He has lived in Canada since 2012. The US rates Odunze pretty highly, otherwise they wouldn't be consistently flying him out from Vancouver all the way to their camps in Florida. The word is he has been "working" on his Canadian citizenship. To represent Canada, he needs to have it before he likely gets provisionally cap-tied by the US in the CONCACAF U17s in April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If he was working on his Canadian Citizenship, it won’t be to rep Canada. He would be accepting invites to another country if he truly wanted to rep Canada

Edited by canta15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why? It's great experience when he isn't eligible for Canada. I know that's no one on here's preference but he will more than likely be hedging his bets or at best getting experience until he is eligible to play for Canada. 

Does he feel more English, Nigerian, Canadian or American? No one other than he could probably tell us that. It is what it is right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 7:11 AM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Like Arfield? Wotherspoon?

If Piatti gets a Canadian passport he's as Canadian as you or I (or a guy like Arfield, who has DEFINITELY spent less time in Canada than Piatti...)

Fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 6:11 PM, Bertuzzi44 said:

Like Arfield? Wotherspoon?

If Piatti gets a Canadian passport he's as Canadian as you or I (or a guy like Arfield, who has probably spent less time in Canada than Piatti...)

Fairly sure it's been stated on this thread in the past that Piatti is on record as saying he has no interest in playing for Canada.

Re: Haggland, Cabrara, etc. in addition to number of seasons played in Canada (FIFA eligibility), their eligibility for Canadian citizenship depends on the number of days they spend in Canada per year. As an example Evan Bush has been with Montreal since 2011 and would already be eligible for Canada if he'd spent his off seasons in Canada, which he doesn't... no idea if Haggland or Cabrara spend enough time in Canada per year to qualify for citizenship.

12 years of MLS in Canada and zero nationalized players. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, ChuckMe92 said:

The massive 6-foot-7 (and growing) England-born, Canada-developed goalkeeper has again accepted the USA U17 callup with CONCACAF U17 World Cup qualifiers looming. He has lived in Canada since 2012. The US rates Odunze pretty highly, otherwise they wouldn't be consistently flying him out from Vancouver all the way to their camps in Florida. The word is he has been "working" on his Canadian citizenship. To represent Canada, he needs to have it before he likely gets provisionally cap-tied by the US in the CONCACAF U17s in April.

How is he connected to the USA?

Edited by MtlMario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, toontownman said:

Why? It's great experience when he isn't eligible for Canada. I know that's no one on here's preference but he will more than likely be hedging his bets or at best getting experience until he is eligible to play for Canada. 

Does he feel more English, Nigerian, Canadian or American? No one other than he could probably tell us that. It is what it is right now. 

If he truly wanted to play for a weaker side in Canada, he wouldn’t be taking call ups regardless and playing for another country just to advance his career.

Thats just my point of view 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vince193 said:

At the same time, Canada barely runs camps, while the US has many throughout the year.

Imo playing for a national team shouldn’t be dependent on who has the better program.

So many euro snobs I have spoken to continuely ridicule any Canadian on our team and state they are only playing for our team because they aren’t good enough to play elsewhere. The same fans praise Hargreaves and Jon De Guzman for chasing glory. These fans are entitled to their own opinions, but i am on the other side of the spectrum.

*I realize that the paragraph above is somewhat irrelevant, but oh well

If Odunze is accepting call ups to the USA, it is not for experience and change to Canada if he supposedly gets citizenship. It is to play for the better national team. My prediction is that the only way he plays for us is if he is not good enough for the states

Edited by canta15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

How is he connected to the USA?

I believe he has one Nigerian and one American parent.

I also believe Odunze will only play for Canada if he isn't good enough for the USA. The problem is he needs to have Canadian citizenship by the time of the US provisional cap-tie in late April or so. If Odunze becomes a Canadian citizen after representing the US in the CONCACAF U17s, it will be too late.

I know the US Federation was hoping for the same thing with Jack Harrison who had lived in the USA for almost eight years. However, he was called up from MLS to England under-21s, England's only player not living in Europe, and played in Euro qualifying before he obtained US citizenship. Thus, he can never represent the USMNT in the future even after he fails to break into England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, canta15 said:

If he truly wanted to play for a weaker side in Canada, he wouldn’t be taking call ups regardless and playing for another country just to advance his career.

Thats just my point of view 

Granted, I'm with you in the purist perfect world scenario. But the world of football sadly, rarely works like that these days (praise be to alphonso). Players generally make the most of opportunities that can improve them or are pushed that way. The world is so much smaller, easier to travel and nations are much more cut throat when it comes to recruiting players who in turn are exposed to multiple options. It's not a new problem though and probably wasn't harking back far beyond Hargreaves. We have seen it with lots of players some of which haven't and have still represented Canada. Whether its agents advising, family pressuring or just feeling attached to the multiple places you have lived there are lots of factors that don't make it black and white otherwise fifa would (arguably should) just keep national representation to where you were born or lived the most. 

That is also your perspective as you say, maybe not his or other players with multiple options. I dont know if you lived/grew up in different countries and have mixed nation parentage to know had you been in the same position but its impossible to second guess what he is thinking. 

It reminds me of the Bustos situation a few years ago but really shouldn't be compared. Unlike Marco who had already been in the program, Chituru literally can't represent us yet and over the space of 3 years that he can't he has had the chance to work with international programs to get experience. Where we can compare is where Whitecaps staff reportedly (or did I make that up?) encourage bustos to go and get experience in Chile and supported him attending camps. If that's true there is another factor in play. 

At least with this type of situation it works the other way too as much as we condone this behavior, the vast majority are happy to welcome the likes of Arfield and maybe Ferreira, tomori and eustaqio to join us that have been in other programs and will improve us if they switch.

It's a messy situation but I dont think you can easily rule out the possibility he might be torn or want to play for us too when he doesn't have that option yet. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If one of his parents is American he is legitimately American. I have no problem with him choosing them in that case but also considering us a back up option if that does not work out especially since at the current time he is not even a Canadian citizen. It only bothers me when players choose to play for countries that they have weak ties to because it is better for their career. He is a legitimate American and not even a Canadian citizen at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, toontownman said:

Granted, I'm with you in the purist perfect world scenario. But the world of football sadly, rarely works like that these days (praise be to alphonso).

In respect to Phonsie it was likely only Canada or Liberia (not sure Ghana was ever a choice).  I think the choice between Liberia and Canada is not the same as to say what Tabla had with Ivory Coast.  Liberia is quite far behind the African powerhouses and Ivory Coast has been a powerhouse (regular World Cup attendee in recent years as well).  Add in the relationship Tabla had with Drogba and that decision seems much harder.  This can be said for many young players deciding their futures with Canada versus Portugal or England or America.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think his family did the stopover in US for a few years before making their way to Canada and he was born there. I think i also read on the Caps site that he doesnt have Canadian citizenship but is working on it

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matty said:

Since we're here, about 1 year-ish and counting until Hagglund and Lovitz can apply for citizenship

Lovitz has been called up to the USMNT for the games on Jan. 27 and Feb. 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, matty said:

Since we're here, about 1 year-ish and counting until Hagglund and Lovitz can apply for citizenship

I really don't rate either of them, the more players challenging for roster spots the better I suppose, I just don't see where either of these 2 fit in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, gator said:

I really don't rate either of them, the more players challenging for roster spots the better I suppose, I just don't see where either of these 2 fit in!

i could see them moving in as solid band aids as some of the older defense types exit the picture

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×