Jump to content
deschamp86

Canadian Nationalization Countdown

Recommended Posts

Hagglund would be a decent addition for us. Just turned 25, a beast in the air, and plays a position of need. He would be in the conversation for starting for us beside James while we wait and see if Henry & Gasparatto can get back on track. Vitoria and Jako are getting old and who knows if Edgar will come back to his old self after this big injury. We should pressure some guys in the media to ask him about playing for Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be clear, in order to be eligible for citizenship, one must:

- have lived in Canada for 1095 days within the 5 years up to the application date

- have previously applied for Permanent Resident status (relatively easy to obtain once you are living and working in Canada)

- finally, pass the citizenship test

- also of note, the usual wait time for a citizenship application is 1 year (assuming CSA does not grease any wheels)

 

Players that are eligible for citizenship in time for WCQ 2022

Impact:

Ignacio Piatti: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by August 2020 (will be 35 years old in 2020)

Evan Bush: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship anytime (will be 34 in 2020)

Daniel Lovitz: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by August 2020 (will be 28 in 2020)

Whitecaps:

Cristian Techera: no youth caps, can apply in April 2020, could have a passport in hand by April 2021 (will be 29 in 2021)

TFC:

Nick Hagglund: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by April 2020 (will be 27 in 2020)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

To be clear, in order to be eligible for citizenship, one must:

- have lived in Canada for 1095 days within the 5 years up to the application date

- have previously applied for Permanent Resident status (relatively easy to obtain once you are living and working in Canada)

- finally, pass the citizenship test

- also of note, the usual wait time for a citizenship application is 1 year (assuming CSA does not grease any wheels)

 

Players that are eligible for citizenship in time for WCQ 2022

Impact:

Ignacio Piatti: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by August 2020 (will be 35 years old in 2020)

Evan Bush: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship anytime (will be 34 in 2020)

Daniel Lovitz: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by August 2020 (will be 28 in 2020)

Whitecaps:

Cristian Techera: no youth caps, can apply in April 2020, could have a passport in hand by April 2021 (will be 29 in 2021)

TFC:

Nick Hagglund: no youth caps, can apply for citizenship next year, could have a passport in hand by April 2020 (will be 27 in 2020)

 

If one of these guys were to switch who would it be?

I’m thinking Lovitz or Hagglund. Although i feel Hagglund will stay longer with Tfc in comparison to Lovitz at Montreal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Bush will ever be eligible. I thought it was posted here that he spends too much time in the US (back home during off seasons) to be eligible for a citizenship application. Also to my knowledge he's never expressed any interest in playing for the CMNT, and if he hasn't at this point, I think that ship has probably sailed.

I wonder who else on that list the same applies to? E.g. Hagglund, Lovitz

Techera would be a good addition, but not a game changer.

Edited by A_Gagne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Bush

Nah man, also I don't think he would  really be a good addition imo... His game and stats are nothing to brag about in all honesty and he has looked VERY SLUGGISH at times with the Impact (at least throughout the course of last season)... Plus keep in mind he's an 86 guy, so he is at the aging stage and we need to focus in bringing up younger goalies into our national fold... Alex Bono would have been a CATCH, but he is already under the radar by the USMNT brass and got his first call, albeit didn't play a single minute during that friendly in Camp Poutine... I guess if he were to ever fall out of the radar by the USMNT, he is one we should consider pursuing... As it stands, two goalies are ahead of him in the pecking order by the USMNT, perhaps even three (Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath and Bill Hamid)...Plus the added advantage is that he didn't seem to be all that involved with USMNT YT by the looks of it...  Here is the proof, even though it is not very clear, lol... Does anybody know if he has been continuously living in T.O. including during the offseason? ... Like Hagglund and other TFCers, he seems to have a heavy love for the city and feels very at home here, which really helps... Another fellow V also threw in the suggestion of him considering gaining Canadian citzenship and I think he mentioned that it seem like he constantly lives in Toronto year round... I have also seen he seems to be a fan of Canada Hockey squads as I saw a like not too long ago about the olympic Ice Hockey team from this past olympics and wouldn't be all surprised if he has become a Maple Leaf fan and being a fan of all the Canadian starts currently playing in the NHL 

National team
2010–2012 United States U18

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Nah man, also I don't think he would  really be a good addition imo... His game and stats are nothing to brag about in all honesty and he has looked VERY SLUGGISH at times with the Impact (at least throughout the course of last season)... Plus keep in mind he's an 86 guy, so he is at the aging stage and we need to focus in bringing up younger goalies into our national fold... Alex Bono would have been a CATCH, but he is already under the radar by the USMNT brass and got his first call, albeit didn't play a single minute during that friendly in Camp Poutine... I guess if he were to ever fall out of the radar by the USMNT, he is one we should consider pursuing... As it stands, two goalies are ahead of him in the pecking order by the USMNT, perhaps even three (Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath and Bill Hamid)...Plus the added advantage is that he didn't seem to be all that involved with USMNT YT by the looks of it...  Here is the proof, even though it is not very clear, lol... Does anybody know if he has been continuously living in T.O. including during the offseason? ... Like Hagglund and other TFCers, he seems to have a heavy love for the city and feels very at home here, which really helps... Another fellow V also threw in the suggestion of him considering gaining Canadian citzenship and I think he mentioned that it seem like he constantly lives in Toronto year round... I have also seen he seems to be a fan of Canada Hockey squads as I saw a like not too long ago about the olympic Ice Hockey team from this past olympics and wouldn't be all surprised if he has become a Maple Leaf fan and being a fan of all the Canadian starts currently playing in the NHL 

National team
2010–2012 United States U18

 

I think Bono would have to have been eligible for Canada before he played for the US youth team. Although I am not sure if that has to be competitive games with the youth team to cap tie in that scenario, and I am not sure if he did play competitive games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I think Bono would have to have been eligible for Canada before he played for the US youth team. Although I am not sure if that has to be competitive games with the youth team to cap tie in that scenario, and I am not sure if he did play competitive games.

Yes, it has to be competitive games to tie the player to that country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-02-01 at 1:58 AM, Grizzly said:

Imagine our attack with Piatti on the left and Hoilett on the right. Too bad Piatti is not 5 years younger.

I’d take a 35 yr old Piatti even if it meant he was on the bench as a sub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, CNMNTPERUELIGIBLE said:

Nah man, also I don't think he would  really be a good addition imo... His game and stats are nothing to brag about in all honesty and he has looked VERY SLUGGISH at times with the Impact (at least throughout the course of last season)... Plus keep in mind he's an 86 guy, so he is at the aging stage and we need to focus in bringing up younger goalies into our national fold... Alex Bono would have been a CATCH, but he is already under the radar by the USMNT brass and got his first call, albeit didn't play a single minute during that friendly in Camp Poutine... I guess if he were to ever fall out of the radar by the USMNT, he is one we should consider pursuing... As it stands, two goalies are ahead of him in the pecking order by the USMNT, perhaps even three (Zack Steffen, Ethan Horvath and Bill Hamid)...Plus the added advantage is that he didn't seem to be all that involved with USMNT YT by the looks of it...  Here is the proof, even though it is not very clear, lol... Does anybody know if he has been continuously living in T.O. including during the offseason? ... Like Hagglund and other TFCers, he seems to have a heavy love for the city and feels very at home here, which really helps... Another fellow V also threw in the suggestion of him considering gaining Canadian citzenship and I think he mentioned that it seem like he constantly lives in Toronto year round... I have also seen he seems to be a fan of Canada Hockey squads as I saw a like not too long ago about the olympic Ice Hockey team from this past olympics and wouldn't be all surprised if he has become a Maple Leaf fan and being a fan of all the Canadian starts currently playing in the NHL 

National team
2010–2012 United States U18

 

I'm sure that he loves Toronto (why wouldn't you?) but he is a proud American. I wouldn't hold my breath for Bono.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Wouldn't Hurtado be eligible? Depends on his youth games with U.S. or does he actually live in the states too?

I asked him about this point blank a couple years back and he said there's  no way he could ever do that when the US was his country. I think very few Csps players have ever done the Point Roberts commute like Manneh did, so I suspect Hurtado has been steadily putting in residence time here, fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C2SKI said:

I'd love to have Piatti mentoring a 20 year old Davies.

Question is, will it happen?... Has there been any indication about him getting CDN citizenship and consequently considering playing for the CANMNT????... Anyone????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×