Jump to content
deschamp86

Canadian Nationalization Countdown

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I know its going to be depressing but go back and read the thread....basically live in canada for 5 years after getting permanent resident, and then maybe!!!  If you never played for hometown nation etc etc etc, long list caveats.  Its easier to get a concealed handgun permit in canada than that.

Koffie is a no go, discussed at length on another thread for years.  

You can get a concealed handgun permit here?:mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without even going into his eligibility through a grandparent(?), how long does Spencer Richey still have to go for Canadian citizenship through naturalization? He's already expressed an interest in representing Canada. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ He played in the concacaf u17 championships so he cannot become eligible through acquiring a new nationality (in which the 5 year residency option is included). The question here is: at the time of his appearance in the 2009 concacaf u17 championships did he have Canadian nationality? If yes, he is eligible and if no, he's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One American said:

Without even going into his eligibility through a grandparent(?), how long does Spencer Richey still have to go for Canadian citizenship through naturalization? He's already expressed an interest in representing Canada. 

He has expressed interest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Blackdude said:

For Canada. He's eligible for the US due to residency. 

Also, we shouldn't expect to get players good enough to make the national team though nationalisation. 5 years is a long time to stay here as a footballer, and it's a third of a footballer's career. You will most of the time get players on the decline by the time that they are eligible. I'm not against it, but we shouldn't expect anything about it. What are the odds that a footballer stays for 5 years in Canada? I'd say it's around 3-4 %. Just look at the players  who were there in 2012. How many are still there? I think Bush and Camara are the only two players still playing here. Bush wouldn't be eligible for citizenship since he lives in Ohio during the winter. And I wouldn't consider him for the next cycle. 

Between the 3 clubs there are a few players that have played for 5 or more seasons , and a few in their 4th year in Canada. They all just seem to have youth caps in a different country. Matias Laba is a good example. However, Nick Hagglund is uncapped at any level by USA and is playing in his 4th season in Toronto. He would be good depth for the defence imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BradMack said:

Bush?

Despite being in Canada/playing for the Impact for long enough, I think (I've seen it posted here that) he spends too much time in the states in the off season to qualify for citizenship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BradMack said:

Bush?

If Crépeau is reading this I can imagine him flipping a lid. Plus I don't think Bush at this point would be worth it. At times he's brilliant but he has his flaws especially crosses in the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-04-26 at 3:07 AM, brianbaebaeng said:

Anyone close to being nationalized ?

Shouldn't Camara be due? Playing in MTL since 2011. Although not sure what he could bring right now w his head issues (concussion symptoms?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2017 at 10:33 AM, A_Gagne said:

Despite being in Canada/playing for the Impact for long enough, I think (I've seen it posted here that) he spends too much time in the states in the off season to qualify for citizenship.

would this not also apply to Hagglund, as well as most every other player mentioned in this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

would this not also apply to Hagglund, as well as most every other player mentioned in this thread?

I think Hagglund lives in Toronto full time like Bradley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

would this not also apply to Hagglund, as well as most every other player mentioned in this thread?

Not necessarily, Jeb Brovsky had signalled his intention to try to play for Canada (and I believe had residency or had applied for it), shortly before the Impact traded his ass to NYC FC. Thanks Joey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

would this not also apply to Hagglund, as well as most every other player mentioned in this thread?

Very few guys in the list will ever get Canadian citizenship, even fewer (or none even) will play for Canada. Its hard to know how much time any of these guys spend in Canada during the offseason, but its still fun to speculate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Not necessarily, Jeb Brovsky had signalled his intention to try to play for Canada (and I believe had residency or had applied for it), shortly before the Impact traded his ass to NYC FC. Thanks Joey!

Seriously???? You are angry we did not nationalize Brovsky? Hard working and nice guy but pretty borderline MLS player skill wise. In 2016 he was playing NASL and last year did not have a club even with all the expansion clubs. By the way from what I heard he requested a trade because his wife did not have a work permit for Canada and was bored not working so that is why he was traded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Seriously???? You are angry we did not nationalize Brovsky? Hard working and nice guy but pretty borderline MLS player skill wise. In 2016 he was playing NASL and last year did not have a club even with all the expansion clubs. By the way from what I heard he requested a trade because his wife did not have a work permit for Canada and was bored not working so that is why he was traded. 

I think you are forgetting the important rule that anybody that could theoretically play for Canada is obviously better than whoever plays for us now ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Seriously???? You are angry we did not nationalize Brovsky? Hard working and nice guy but pretty borderline MLS player skill wise. In 2016 he was playing NASL and last year did not have a club even with all the expansion clubs. By the way from what I heard he requested a trade because his wife did not have a work permit for Canada and was bored not working so that is why he was traded. 

haha... no no not pissed... I wish there was a sarcasm emoji... (i.e. the "thanks joey!" part was supposed to read as sarcasm)

1 hour ago, Kent said:

I think you are forgetting the important rule that anybody that could theoretically play for Canada is obviously better than whoever plays for us now ;) 

lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, deschamp86 said:

Its hard to know how much time any of these guys spend in Canada during the offseason, but its still fun to speculate

Does off-season even matter any more? The season-closing locker cleanout and press availability for Hagglund was today, and the training camp opens on January 20 in 5½ weeks.

Including Christmas, even some of us mere mortals can get that much vacation!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×