Sign in to follow this  
Razcle

2012 "Centennial" Voyageurs Scarf Competation

I first wanted to let everyone know that orders for the original Voyageurs scarf have continued to pour in as new members join and older members trade away their scarves with opposition supporters. Because we are running out, I have put another order of 200 in, which should be available in 4-6 weeks. These scarves will be available online and throughout the WCQ games held in Toronto. Thanks to everyone for making it easy to ship and deliver the orders of past.

This being our centennial year for Canadian Soccer, I would like to propose we design a commerative scarf not only in celebration of this milestone, but also to provide an alternative to the original that has been in existence for well over 6 years. For the next three weeks I invite all Voyageurs with any creative talents to mock up the next centennial Voyageurs scarf. The competation will work as follows;

1. All legitamate designs will be posted after the submission period

2. Depending on the number of entries, there will be a series of voting rounds max 3 where we will work our way towards a winner

3. An order will be placed for the winning design and the creator will recieve their scarf for free. The remaining scarves will be available for purchase online and at available home and away games.

A few notes on the design; come up with the template yourself - 56 inches x 8 inches roughly. Simplicity of design is generally better - fine detail generally doesn't work very well when manufactured. Across an 8 inch section, there should be a max of three colours, and no more than 6 in the whole scarf.

I am excited about this proposition and hopefully we see some fantastic creative designs. Please post scarf design in this thread and email the original to Canadian.Voyageurs (at) gmail (d0t) com so I can post them all in similar perspective for the voting round. Allez Les Rouges!

Edited by Razcle

Not to rain on anyone's parade but 2012 is not, "our centennial year for Canadian Soccer". It is the centennial of the Canadian Soccer Association and I see no reason to celebrate an incorporation.

In the spirit of the CSA's celebrations, I propose that our centennial scarf be exactly like our regular scarf but with "1912-2012" written on it in blue.

On a serious note, Ted is right. We're not the CSA.

I am good with these suggestions as it is far less work for me. I just thought it would be a good idea since many have asked for a new revised voyageurs scarf and I thought the CSA centennial would be a good reason for it. Maybe the theme should be for the 2014 World Cup Qualifying Campagne? Would that make more sense?

Why not make a competition for new scarves and see what people submit / think is important? Lots of things mark their anniversaries through the anniversary of the institutions that represent them. I do not think its bad to take part in the CSA anniversary as a centennial for soccer more broadly in Canada. Plus Voyageurs are supporters of the national team, organized by the CSA, not some guys who got together to kick a ball around according to some rules from across the ocean that they found out about. Not to trivialize the history, but no club would make its anniversary by the date some of the original players started to play the game. Actually I think we trivialize all of the sports history when we deny chances to give importance to 'memory' such as the 100 years of the CSA.

I kinda like the current scarf. There is something cool about everyone having the same scarf when people hold them up for Oh Canada. IMO it doesn't look as good when you see a smattering of different scarves, so although I'd love a second Voyageurs scarf and would certainly buy it, for aesthetics it might be better if we just stick with what we have.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but 2012 is not, "our centennial year for Canadian Soccer". It is the centennial of the Canadian Soccer Association and I see no reason to celebrate an incorporation.

Wow, buzz-kill!

I'm in favor of a centennial commemorative scarf. Perhaps let's remove ourselves from the oft antagonistic sentiments that can sometimes (understatement) be felt (in recent memory) towards the CSA admin, and consider this analogy:

Consider a scenario where a club was founded 100 yrs ago, but it's dominant supporters group was only founded some 12 or so years ago. In those 12 yrs the supporters group had often been at loggerheads with the club over various issues, even actively organized protests against the club on several occasions. Do you think that supporters group would refuse to celebrate the club's 100th anniversary on the grounds that it "was not the club"?

Like the current state of affairs at our national governing body or not, the Canadian National Teams are still our team, and this year is the closest thing they get to a centennial, so I say let's do it! And besides creating a little bit of hype here and there is never a bad thing IMHO.

P.S. wrt scarves all being the same colour, I hear your point. Perhaps for simplicity sake, we could always design scarves that are the same colours as the current one; however, I don't think we have to be so rigid as to make that a criteria (unless others feel strongly about it)... If V's on mass don't want to change the colours they can always just vote for ones that have a similar colour scheme.

Edited by A_Gagne

Wow, buzz-kill!

I'm in favor of a centennial commemorative scarf. Perhaps let's remove ourselves from the oft antagonistic sentiments that can sometimes (understatement) be felt (in recent memory) towards the CSA admin, and consider this analogy:

Consider a scenario where a club was founded 100 yrs ago, but it's dominant supporters group was only founded some 12 or so years ago. In those 12 yrs the supporters group had often been at loggerheads with the club over various issues, even actively organized protests against the club on several occasions. Do you think that supporters group would refuse to celebrate the club's 100th anniversary on the grounds that it "was not the club"?

Like the current state of affairs at our national governing body or not, the Canadian National Teams are still our team, and this year is the closest thing they get to a centennial, so I say let's do it! And besides creating a little bit of hype here and there is never a bad thing IMHO.

P.S. wrt scarves all being the same colour, I hear your point. Perhaps for simplicity sake, we could always design scarves that are the same colours as the current one; however, I don't think we have to be so rigid as to make that a criteria (unless others feel strongly about it)... If V's on mass don't want to change the colours they can always just vote for ones that have a similar colour scheme.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I like the idea of a 100th anniversary scarf, and would definitely buy one. Unfortunately, I would be completely unable to design one as I have an enormous lack of knowledge and skill (in general).

Also, sorry Same, but I'm of the opposite view. I actually find it kinda cool to see fans holding up different types of scarves during a game. As long as they're clearly pro-canada scarves, I would have abolutely no problem with it.

Why not make a competition for new scarves and see what people submit / think is important?
Yes!

Let us have some submissions for a new design, add the current design and allow people to choose. In the end if most people want to celebrate lawyers and paperwork then we will have a "2012 Centennial" scarf. If not, we won't.

Wow, buzz-kill!

I'm in favor of a centennial commemorative scarf.

Perhaps for simplicity sake, we could always design scarves that are the same colours as the current one

I'm slightly in favour of a centennial scarf(or simply a new one). However I agree with those that say the colours should remain the same. It does not have to be near identical to the old one but having red/white/black as the dominant colours would be my preference.

I would also add as a design criteria (I hope Razcle will agree) that any new design should incorporate the Voyageurs logo.

post-122068-139465254062_thumb.jpg

EDIT: The current logo appears twice on the current scarf. My strong personal preference would be that if the logo appears more than once we should have at least one version en français. I know I've mentioned this before but I feel its important.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

You mean like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]491[/ATTACH]

/ducks

the guy holding the whitecaps scarf upside down has real trouble spelling on his post on the whitecaps.com pages, so im not surprised that he has trouble holding up a scarf......hahahaha