Sign in to follow this  
Robert

A Voyageurs book launch.

The 2014 Soccer Hall of Fame inductions were officially announced earlier today.

http://www.ontariosoccer.ca/OSABlog/index.php/archives/10278

On behalf of the entire Manson family I would like to extend our sincere and heartfelt gratitude to everyone involved in the selection process.  Thank you Soccer Hall of Fame, you really got this right.  Bravo!

Respectfully,

Robert Janning

The big weekend is almost upon us.  CBC has shown a serious interest in the Harry Manson story.  The following are two emails I recently received from the national broadcaster:

Robert,

My 22 minute documentary on Harry Manson has been given final approval at The Current. This is excellent news, as I have never heard of them playing a 22 minute documentary before. I still believe it is going to play on November 7th. But I will let you know if the date changes. This is so exciting. I will get a final copy in a couple of weeks, and we can figure out the best way to share it, after it goes to air.

Thank you for your passion and commitment to discover and tell Harry Manson's story. Creating this documentary has been a highlight of my career as a journalist so far.

Wishing you happy thoughts. Be proud of yourself. 

--

Jean Paetkau
CBC Radio
250 414 4704

All Points West

Awesome. Thx Robert - thorough as always.

Last week's events in Ottawa have really wreaked havoc on our programming plans - but as far as I know, still aiming for Nov 7. Will let you know if that changes.

Duncan McCue
CBC-TV News - The National
700 Hamilton St. Vancouver, BC V6B 4A2
604-662-6872
Edited by Robert

Heard the documentary today on the current....a good chant song was sung near the end of the broadcast, hopefully it will be heard in stadia during WWC. Folks should watch CBC national tonite for more.

For those who would like to hear Jean Paetkau's feature on Harry Manson that aired on "The Current" this morning please visit the following link:

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2014/11/07/harry-mansons-soccer-hall-of-fame/

As already announced by Trillium, Duncan McCue has produced a feature on Harry Manson that will air on CBC TV "The National" tonight at 10:00 p.m.

Can't wait for the Induction Banquet this Sunday.  I am in Vaughan with a dozen members of the Manson family.  We are all so grateful to The Soccer Hall of Fame for formally recognizing Harry Manson.

Cheers,

Robert

Good job Robert. I read the CBC article but I haven't heard the doc yet, I plan on listening to it soon. The story of Harry Mason is a very unique and interesting one and I'm glad you put the effort into making sure it is told again in the future.

Our 2014 Soccer Hall of Fame adventure in Vaughan, Ontario:

The Harry Manson delegation began arriving in Toronto on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, November 5th, 6th and 7th.  The entourage included 4 grandchildren, Harriet, Dean, Gary and Donna, 5 great-grandchildren Emmy, Meade, Jerome, Adam and Beckie, 2 great-great-grandchildren, Trey and Mia.  Robert Janning and his parents, Robert and Reina rounded out the party of 14.

On Friday, Adam and Beckie joined me in my luxurious Element Hotel room to listen to Jean Paetkau’s 22-minute documentary: Lost and Found, which aired on the CBC RadioOne program “The Current.”  By the end of the broadcast we were all choked-up with tears.

I spent to afternoon having lunch with my parents at the top of the CN Tower and doing some sightseeing in Toronto.  The phone in my room rang as soon I returned at 5 o’clock in the afternoon.  What followed was an hour and a half interview with Martin Dunphy, of the Georgia Straight.  During the interview, I received a text from Duncan McCue of the CBC, informing me that his feature story: Finding Xul-si-malt, which had been scheduled to air on “The National” that evening had been bumped in favour of a story related to the Jian Ghomeshi affair.  I also received a call during the interview from Robyn McComb, Director of Competitions and Events, who wanted to know the family connections between all of the Mansons and how to pronounce certain Snuneymuxw words.  Is this what it’s like being almost famous? ;-)

Starting to feel the effects of sleep deprivation on Saturday, I had to figure out a way to how to get five members of the Manson to Vaughan, who due to their very limited financial means had found affordable accommodations way out in Markham, a 35 minutes drive from our hotel.  Somehow, we managed to pull it off in time.

Together with the other inductees, who were also provided accommodations at the recently opened Element Hotel, we were all shuttled to the Ontario Soccer Centre for The Soccer Hall of Fame Reception.  No sooner had we arrived, then Gary and I were herded off to an upstairs office to do a phone interview with someone of all place in Ankara, Turkey.  Go figure, he?  Because of this, Gary and I never had enough time to check out The Soccer Hall of Fame’s Museum, because the reception was stalled until we finished our interview.  No sooner had we been shuttled back to the hotel, and it was time to head over to Fionn MacCool’s for dinner and a chance to get to know the other inductees a little better.  The place was packed to the rafters with more people waiting to get in.  A loud rock and roll band and the affects of alcohol kicking in, allowed this 58-year old recovering alcoholic/addict to excuse himself after about an hour and a half.  I don’t think anyone really noticed.

Sunday.  The BIG DAY had finally arrived!  My room.  Parents.  Formal dress and tuxedos.  Transportation challenges for the Mansons in Markham.  Stress reminiscent of a wedding.

4:30 p.m.  We arrive at Chateau Le Jardin.  I am introduced to many people I knew, but had never met before in person.

6:00 p.m.  Silence descended over the 200 officials, dignitaries, players and their family and friends of Canada’s soccer community seated at their tables in Le Parisien Salon, as Gary Manson, dressed in full traditional Snuneymuxw regalia, stuck the first note of the Welcome Song on his drum.  As he began to sing, his son Adam, in full paddle-vest regalia, led the procession of inductees into the room and onto the stage.  What a moment.  Standing there together all the other inductees on the stage and facing the audience in front of us.

Around 7:00 p.m. co M.C. Gerry Dobson summons yours truly to the stage for the Pioneer Induction of Harry Manson.  With tears in my eyes, I shakily walk up to the podium to face the audience.  The following was my speech:

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Robert Janning.  I nominated Harry Manson for induction into The Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum.

(At this point, I felt compelled to add a brief improvised response to the guest speaker who had preceded me and who had ranted on for 20 minutes about Canada being ranked 128th in the world and that we never qualified for World Cup Finals.  He went on to tell us what he thought needed to be done to change our  unacceptable situation.  Well! My retort was that the afore mentioned 128th ranking and World Cup absences only applied to approximately half of those present in the room, and that Canadian women in fact enjoyed a much higher international ranking and frequently participated in World Cup Final tournaments.  I added that maybe if we listen a little more to our Women we Men might be more successful.  My comments seemed to be appreciated by the fairer sex as they afforded me a warm ovation.  Anyhow, back to my speech now.

I would like to thank the following individuals for making this special evening possible:

Ron Smale, president of the Ontario Soccer Association

The Board of Governors of The Soccer Hall of Fame and Museum

The Selection Committee

Robyn Gmeindl

Robyn McComb

Kim Watson

And I would especially like to thank Mr. John Knox for his phone call this past summer informing me that Harry Manson had been selected for induction into the Soccer Hall of Fame.  If you happened to have listened to the CBC Radio feature on Harry Manson on Friday, you can appreciate how emotional this experience has been.

I would also like to congratulate all of this evening’s other inductees:

I first became aware of Harry Manson and his place in soccer history several years ago while researching my book Westcoast Reign: The British Columbia Soccer Championships 1892-1905.

I discovered that Harry was a gifted athlete whose soccer career was uniquely distinguished in several respects, however, it was his exemplary outlook on life at a time when the attitudes of the World around him were rife with prejudice that proved to be the impetus for nominating Harry.

All Harry Manson wanted to do was play soccer.  The colour of teammate’s or opponent’s skin was never an issue for Harry, and it was his prowess on the field that made him a frequently sought after player by non-native teams.

Every community needs heroes to look up to.  Every community needs role-models to emulate.  Right here.  By inducting Harry Manson into The Soccer Hall of Fame we are bridging the gap of disparity that has separated First Nations and Canadians for far too long.  Today we formally recognize a Snuneymuxw hero, a First Nations’ role model and a Canadian Soccer Hall of Famer.

On behalf of Harry Xulsimalt Manson I lift my hands to you and extend a heartfelt Huych’qa.  All my relations.  (End of speech.)

At this point, all of Harry Manson’s descendants took to the stage to perform a Celebration Song and Excitement Song for their ancestor.  Adam Manson danced up a storm on the final song, and as the last notes of singing and drumming faded into time, the entire room rose in unison to its feet in a thunderous ovation.

Next, Mr. Roger Barnes, president of the British Columbia Soccer Association, who had travelled to Vaughan to be a part of this celebration, was invited to the stage to participate in the presentation of The Soccer Hall of Fame plaque, which Gary Manson accepted on behalf of his grandfather.  It was at last official.  Harry Xul-si-malt Manson was a Soccer Hall of Famer!  Gary then shared a few emotional words of gratitude and we all went back to our two tables.  The first to shake my hand and congratulate me as I came off the stage was Craig Forrest.

At the conclusion of the evening we were swamped with well wishers.  Dwayne De Rosario, Jon Knox, fellow Voyageurs Bill and John, fellow historian Colin and Les all came over to thank me.  And then, once again, Gary and I were shuffled off to do one more interview Anthony Totera for OSA TV’s “Touchline.”

Perhaps, one of the nicest interaction I had over the four days in Vaughan occurred at 01:30 a.m. Monday morning, when I stepped out of the elevator and bumped into Isabella Morneau, who had been just inducted as a player.  She extended her appreciation for me acknowledging the Women of the Canadian game, which the guest speaker at the Induction banquet had made to feel like they were an irrelevant part of Canada’s soccer community.

Two and a half hours later I received my wake-up call to ensure I would catch my 06:45 flight back to Vancouver, where I could finally get some much-needed sleep.

Cheers,

Robert

Once again congratulations to you Robert and a special salute to the Manson family for their well deserved honor.  Thank you Robert for your recognition of the women as soccer players, you are the greatest!

The feature "Finding Xul-si-malt," which was to have aired of CBC "The National" last Friday, November 7th, but was pre-empted for the Peter Mansbridge-Heather Conway response to the Jian Ghomeshi affair, will air tonight, Friday, November 14th, at 10 p.m. in all time zones, according to the following email that I received from Duncan McCue two days ago:

Great to hear all the details and stories from the weekend, Robert.

Latest is that our story will run this Friday. I'll keep you posted.

As you said, Creator works in mysterious ways...

http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2014/11/07/harry-mansons-soccer-hall-of-fame/

Edited by Robert

MY LATEST COMMUNICATIONS WITH CBC:

Hi Robert

We're in the lineup for tonight's National, and we've made it through the noon EST lineup meeting - which is where those decisions are usually made.
If I was a betting man, I'd say tonight's the night. But I myself don't typically tweet and promote stories until about 4 PM PST, which is generally the point of no return.
Thanks for all your patience on this... and I welcome any feedback on the story. It runs just over 9 mins long...

Best, Duncan

WAHOOO!  Thanks Duncan.  Interesting thing happened this morning.  I had several doctors on the shuttle bus that I drove this morning mention that they had seen your feature on TV last week.  How do you think that was possible?
Anyhow, can't wait to see it tonight.  I'll provide you with my thoughts and any that I receive from others after it airs.

Cheers,
Robert

I'd say we're beyond point of no return now, Robert... unless WWIII breaks out between now and 6 PM.
The feature they were referring to was probably this one... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ET8KyiY_Nc&feature=youtu.be. It aired last week.

Hear we go, Duncan.  2:40 PM PST.  The good news is: Thus far, no AIR RAID SIRENS have sounded over the Canadian Westcoast.  This means that the 37,000 Friends of Harry Manson that I am Bcc-ing this email to, can stop doing whatever it is they're doing at 10 PM PST tonight, to crowd around their tubes to watch Duncan McCue's feature "Finding Xulsimalt" on CBC-TV News - The National.

Edited by Robert

Just saw it on The National. Congrats and well done, Robert! Very inspirational story and great research on your part. It's great that you took the initiative to uncover this lost bit of Canadian soccer history.

I'd like to share it. Does anyone have a link to the piece which aired on The National?

Just saw it on The National. Congrats and well done, Robert! Very inspirational story and great research on your part. It's great that you took the initiative to uncover this lost bit of Canadian soccer history.

I'd like to share it. Does anyone have a link to the piece which aired on The National?

You can find the whole of last night's 'National' here - but not sure how long it will stay up:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2605449854/

The Harry Manson segment is at the 30 minute mark - use the tab at the bottom of the screen.

Here are a few more sites that give an account of Harry Manson's induction into The Soccer Hall of Fame:

This one is from the "Snuneymuxw" website.  It provides some photos of the Induction Ceremony at the bottom of the page.

http://www.snuneymuxw.ca/gallery/harry-manson-inducted-soccer-hall-fame

This one is from the First Nations Drum," Canada's Largest First Nations Newspaper

http://www.firstnationsdrum.com/2014/11/first-nation-trail-blazer-inducted-into-soccer-hall-of-fame/

Here is a YouTube link to the CBC TV - The National feature

Here is the CBC Aboriginal link to the CBC TV - The National feature

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/aboriginal/aboriginal-star-hailed-as-pioneer-by-soccer-hall-of-fame-1.2822153

Here is a link to the second Georgia Straight feature that I penned earlier

http://www.straight.com/news/771976/diary-weekend-soccer-hall-fame

This OSATV YouTube link records some of The Soccer Hall of Fame induction ceremony.  You will need to crank-up the first few seconds of the audio portion, after that it is alright.  This should be a great momento for the Mansons.

Just received a call from CBC that Jean Paetkau's feature on Harry Manson will air again tomorrow, 8:35 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., December 30th, when CBC RadioOne's The Current does it's "The Best of 2014." show.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/

http://www.friendsofharrymanson.com/media.html

Wishing all Voyageurs good health, happiness and all the best in 2015,

Robert

Edited by Robert