Sign in to follow this  
Vangelis21

Any real life football (soccer) coaches in here?

Hello!

My name in Vangelis and I am from Europe, Greece. In some months I will be a permanent residence of Canada and I am extremely interested in pursuing a career as a soccer coach. The only knowledge I have in the subject is from the passion I have for the game and having been a soccer fan for the last 15 years! I would very much appreciate it if you could spare some time and discuss about it with me, give me info and advice.!

thanks!

Hello!

My name in Vangelis and I am from Europe, Greece. In some months I will be a permanent residence of Canada and I am extremely interested in pursuing a career as a soccer coach. The only knowledge I have in the subject is from the passion I have for the game and having been a soccer fan for the last 15 years! I would very much appreciate it if you could spare some time and discuss about it with me, give me info and advice.!

thanks!

Find a local club.

Tell them you want to coach, they will put you through the certification process.

Start there.

But don't go crazy cause the certification process is crap. It's for parents that know nothing about soccer. But it does get more advanced and there are other things you can do like the NSCAA.

and what if i get an answer like " go find out on your own, we don't need coaches here" ? I am always afraid of these stuff.

That's not going to happen.

There are associations that have to turn kids away because they don't have enough coaches.

seriously? This is great news? You mean that even if I don't find a decent job at first a s a coach, I will certainly be able to volunteer and coach kids and no one will reject me "just because"?

Can you please answe to some more questions?

- What are the working hours of this job?

- How is the pay like?

- In order to even start, what certification do I need, and can you link me to somewhere for info?

Guest Ed
seriously? This is great news? You mean that even if I don't find a decent job at first a s a coach, I will certainly be able to volunteer and coach kids and no one will reject me "just because"?

Can you please answe to some more questions?

- What are the working hours of this job?

- How is the pay like?

- In order to even start, what certification do I need, and can you link me to somewhere for info?

You have 0 experience as a coach. Your qualifications are that you've been a fan of soccer for 15 years. I doubt it will be much over 6 figures. Good luck.

Thanks for the response Ed!

Yes of course I have 0 experience but on the one hand most jobs in Canada give as a minimum 2k per month and on the other, my question was more general. Let's say I want a career in it, I get my experience, my certifications etc etc. How will it be in 3-4-5 years time?

Also, what exactly did you mean by "6 figures" ?

Thanks!

That's not going to happen.

There are associations that have to turn kids away because they don't have enough coaches.

This makes me feel terrible because I have always wanted to try coaching but had no real interest in coaching kids younger then teenagers. Considering theirs a severe lack of youth coaches I should probably start there, I'm probably just being too snooty in thinking I can get into a more competitive, personally driven level without coaching at a more fun, sportsmanship level for a while first.

This makes me feel terrible because I have always wanted to try coaching but had no real interest in coaching kids younger then teenagers. Considering theirs a severe lack of youth coaches I should probably start there, I'm probably just being too snooty in thinking I can get into a more competitive, personally driven level without coaching at a more fun, sportsmanship level for a while first.

Juby you live where I want to live

You want to do what I want to do

I think we should talk a little more extensively!

Wanna exchange msn or something? (that goes for everyone interested)

No no, there is volunteer and there is paid. Also, no one coaches kids forever. As in every job there is a ladder you have to climb. So I am asking how much does this job pay in general

No no, there is volunteer and there is paid. Also, no one coaches kids forever. As in every job there is a ladder you have to climb. So I am asking how much does this job pay in general

Unless you're working for Toronto FC, Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps or Edmonton FC and their academies- it's a volunteer job.

If you have had some experience playing and an idea of what basic skills are needed, starting at a younger age would be better. Teenagers I think need a broader level of instruction and it would be hard to 'know' what and where 'break downs' in the player intelligence are occurring without some experience at earlier levels (unless you yourself have had extensive personal training experience as a player). Thus it would be rewarding, even if your long term idea is not to be with teenagers, to 'go to the basics' of youth soccer. It might also be more rewarding than you are expecting, parents maybe an issue but if you setup the ground rules - give parents 'tasks' to participate but clearly outline you are the coach/manager and have a philosophy of participation, skill development, and enjoyment they can be controlled. I really enjoyed my experience as a U12 coach and its always in the back of my head to figure out a time to return.

Of course, there is no chance of financial reward for this work - it takes years of experience at the very least as a high level player and certified, before you can think about paid work as a coach. Certainly not something I would say an inexperienced new-Canadian could get paid to do. Worse, I know of a couple of cases where an new Canadian with real football experience 'volunteered' with the belief that they could turn it into a paid job, only to find that the club had no money to pay coaches, the organization resent being asked money because everyone else is volunteering (of course from the perspective of the new Canadian they put in a lot of time and effort at a very high level only to see their work go unrecognized), and the relationship turn very bad. No one in Canada should join the coaching path with any expectations of making money (not that there are not possibilities but they are few and far between and need real experience, locally most importantly, before they would even open up a little bit).

If I may interject here Vangelis21. The chances of getting a paid coaching job are far greater in the U.S. than in Canada. After you get certified and accumulate some experience you could contact any number of Colleges in the U.S. which there are many of them.

There are plenty of coaching opportunities that are paid here in Ontario and there will be many more in coming years. The sport is becoming more "professionalized" at the youth level but the demands on coaches to take their coaching levels will also increase.

However, without experience and without a decent level of formal coaching education (Provincial B certification at minimum or equivalent) a coach cannot expect to receive significant (if any) compensation from a club.

Presently, based on what Vengelis21 has described as his "experience", he will be gladly accepted as a volunteer coach for many clubs at the recreational level. He would need to take some entry level coaching education courses to coach a team at the competitive (rep) level so he's presently not qualified for that either.

Good luck Vangelis21...if you have passion for the sport and have a high level of commitment to educating yourself as a coach, in time, you might find yourself able to make a modest living as a coach in Canada. but it will take time. We have many coaches in Ontario who are talented, experienced and educated but don't make much money in coaching.