Sign in to follow this  
Blue and White Army

Is it time to expanded the Canadian Championship to lower divisions?

I'm in favour of an expanded format..but i think we need a real pyramid first. Otherwise who do you add? What's the cut off?

Quick scan of the existing Pyramid Shows 35 Canadian teams list. (I'm considering Ottawa as a single entity for this exercise Ottawa-Ottawa Fury still exist as a PDL side*.)

1st round: The 16 teams at Tier 4 (PDSL and PDL) play single game straight (unseeded) knock out leaving 8 teams going into the Bag for a chance to play against one of the 14 teams in the CSL (Or another of the PDSL/ PDL sides)

2nd Round :22 teams (PDSL, PDL and CSL) go into the bag for another single game unseeded Knock out, This will leave 11 teams in the Bag for Round Three

3rd Round: The Remaining 11 are Joined by the NASL and MLS teams making up around of Sixteen. 8 winners through to the 4th round.

4th Round: 8 become 4 using the same rules as above.

5th Round: Semi-Finals preferably at Neutral Venues.

Final to be held at A venue with minimum 20-30K capacity. BC Place, Commonwealth, BMO Field, Montreal/ Saputo and Moncton on a rotation basis.

Simple!:)

Should the Ottawa Fury not exist next season then their place in this Competition would go to the winner of the Provincial Challenge Trophy.

Edited by alberta white

Following On...

I have decided that I will draw this competition (with numbered ball and Bag ) as laid out above and get my Boys to Play this Tournament through, using Fifa12 on the Wii.

stay tunned!!

Alternatley can anybody co-ordinate 35 bodies to actualy play this as an online Xbox tourney. I dont mind pulling the Numbers, as I'm Useless at Computer Games anyway.

Mods:- If its a go-er then should we set up another thread?

Edited by alberta white

I envision that at some point there's going to be a true 2nd level pyramid in Canadian Soccer. Basically the CFL cities plus maybe a few others. At that point when you're going to have 8-10 1st and 2nd level soccer teams the scale of the Canadian Championship is going to get too big for the current home and away setup.

At that point I'd like to see the 7-10 teams run for a few years as a tournament and maybe add in the top 2 from the 2nd and 3rd rungs to make the tournament and fill it out to a 12 team style.

I think that would be ideal really, but it's really in my mind during the 2017/2018 time period.

Preliminaries: Lvl 3 & Lvl 4 playoffs. Top 2 from each move on.

Round 1: Bottom 4 NASL or lvl 2 teams

Round 2: Round 1 winners & Top 3 NASL

Round 3: MLS & Round 2 winners

Round 4: Semi's

Round 5: Finals

I could really get behind that setup. Every few years you're going to get a minnow make it to round 3 in a Cinderella story.

I don't think figuring out who to add is that much of a challenge; simply have USL PDL, CSL, and PCSL/VMSL Premier play down on equal terms for qualification. In a few years, the stronger divisions will be obvious and we can adjust the ratios then.

And to those (like the writer of that piece) who like to romance aboput how its done in england. Well, there is an interesting douse of reality to that, and its that: Nobody watches or cares in england about those games.

As someone who lived in England for three years.... WRONG!

Edited by Blue and White Army

Yes, expanding to be an open tournament should be the long term goal.

And can we please change the damn name to Voyageurs Cup! It is after all a cup tournament.

Sign in to follow this  

• Image may contain: 2 people, text

Pre Game Events

Saturday March 23rd - Mahoney & Sons

You must RSVP to this event
    RSVP HERE

Sunday March 24th - Library Square Public House

Pre Game Party & March to Stadium
    Voyageurs will be there from 11am

• canpl-game-cropped.png

Join us for this historic game!

The Voyageurs are inviting all fans of the game who want to be at this historic match to join us. 

We have arranged with Forge's James Hutton to set up a section at the game.

After we will be joining a post game inaugural CanPL party hosted by the Barton Street Battalion 

Please join and share the Facebook event here. Let's spread the word and make this a great day.

Tickets
    pixel.gif