Sign in to follow this  
seathanaich

The Format of this Forum Is Quite Useless.

This forum does not allow for actual conversation with people, unless you are going to check every thread, every day, on the off chance that someone replied to a post of yours. And even if they do, the next post anyone makes carries the thread on.

There are plenty of forum formats that notify and bring you right to every response anyone makes to any post you make. I'd particiate far more on this site if it were actually formatted for conversation, but it's not, so I don't. Years ago this site allowed for conversation, but some genius decided to change a useful chat forum into a useless, non-chat forum. Why?

Basically, I read the original post in many threads, but there is no point in posting back, since you'll never actually have a conversation, because there is no way of being alerted to any responses. That thing where your profile shows what topics have posts after yours is completely useless - it just opens up at the start of the topic (doesn't even go to your post).

Edited by seathanaich

Interesting, I don't have a lot of experience with different forum formats - aside from one other this is the only forum I frequent (and the other one is very once in a blue moon anyway). As long as we keep this constructive, perhaps we can end up with an idea of what everyone is looking for. Jamie's been working hard to get the forum and CSN stabilized and customized to our liking, so if we can squeeze a few extra hours of work out of him perhaps things will better match what people are looking for.

Jamie we all owe you pints for the time you've put into the board, among other things.

The forum does do all you ask of it, if you're set up to do it.

Your profile has to be set to allow the system to email you if a thread you've subscribed to gets a new post. You have to set autosubscribe to "on" for threads in which you post. And you can subscribe to threads without posting in them, too. Then you get emails whenever a new post is made in those threads (only once, until you've visited again - then the thread is marked read and you will get notified again when there's a new post).

You can search only for new posts (look at the top of this page).

If you want to jump to the first new post since your last read of a thread, click on this icon beside the title --> firstnew.png

Sorry to say, but the reality is that the BB world has moved on, and it's time for you to learn the new software's capabilities.

but some genius decided to change a useful chat forum into a useless, non-chat forum. Why?

If this refers to the switch from the Network 54 forum to this one, quick question. Who turned your computer on for you today and how much did you pay them?

I am able to track threads just fine using one single link: New Posts at the top left of the screen, just under the Home button. If you click on that link everyday you won't miss a thing.

^ I do that as well but it would be nice if, like on some forums, clicking the thread title took you automatically to the first unread post rather then having to click a second button.

^ I do that as well but it would be nice if, like on some forums, clicking the thread title took you automatically to the first unread post rather then having to click a second button.

If you want to jump to the first new post since your last read of a thread, click on this icon beside the title --> firstnew.png

You don't have to go *into* the thread first, it's right there beside the title in the list of threads. (Although the same icon shows up above the first post of the thread too, with text to tell you what it's for)

If this refers to the switch from the Network 54 forum to this one, quick question. Who turned your computer on for you today and how much did you pay them?

If I'd wanted a comment from an *******, I'd have farted. I specifically pointed out this site sucks compared to others, that don't. That implies I use other chat forums - ones that don't suck.

You don't have to go *into* the thread first, it's right there beside the title in the list of threads. (Although the same icon shows up above the first post of the thread too, with text to tell you what it's for)

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't necessarily want to read every post, but I would like to easily find comments attached to mine. That's a major problem with this site.

The forum does do all you ask of it, if you're set up to do it.

Your profile has to be set to allow the system to email you if a thread you've subscribed to gets a new post. You have to set autosubscribe to "on" for threads in which you post. And you can subscribe to threads without posting in them, too. Then you get emails whenever a new post is made in those threads (only once, until you've visited again - then the thread is marked read and you will get notified again when there's a new post).

You can search only for new posts (look at the top of this page).

Sorry to say, but the reality is that the BB world has moved on, and it's time for you to learn the new software's capabilities.

I'm aware the "world has moved on"; the problem is that this site has not. It's stuck in a terrible format. Note my comment that this site sucks in comparison with sites that do not, implying that I'm actually basing my criticism on the fact that, among sites I read, this one is the worst. There are plenty of sites that add responses by indenting, which isn't exactly a new idea.

I have used the "subscribe" feature. It doesn't take you to your post, or the latest one. You have to start at the beginning, and try to find your post. That's really poor. I'm not asking anyone to reinvent any wheels - just copy a format that works. The point of complaining was the hope that there were tricks I hadn't come across just be experimenting. Cheers.

Hopefully Jamie can chime in on the issues the OP is having. I use New Posts tab to see everything that has been written that day. However maybe there are tools that help point out posts after your response to help serve us better. It is a legit post and maybe it is just an education issue rather than a system one.

Hopefully Jamie can chime in on the issues the OP is having. I use New Posts tab to see everything that has been written that day. However maybe there are tools that help point out posts after your response to help serve us better. It is a legit post and maybe it is just an education issue rather than a system one.

Thank you. Someone else helped by telling me about the "fast forward" button, but I find it odd that posts are done by chronological order, and that replies aren't attached right under the posts they are in response to. That's a superior format to chronological order. Cheers.

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't necessarily want to read every post, but I would like to easily find comments attached to mine. That's a major problem with this site.

Ah, you're looking for threading, I gather.

I have used the "subscribe" feature. It doesn't take you to your post, or the latest one. You have to start at the beginning, and try to find your post. That's really poor. I'm not asking anyone to reinvent any wheels - just copy a format that works. The point of complaining was the hope that there were tricks I hadn't come across just be experimenting. Cheers.

Coupled with the icon for first unread post shortcut, the emails and/or your subscribed list should take you to, you guessed it, the first unread post. (The emails should have two links, one for the new post starting point and one for the general thread.)

As for threading, I guess that's a personal preference, as I don't really like it - but it's part of your personal settings (go to Forum Actions | General Settings and look for "Thread Display Mode").

You can thread the discussion by going to display, select threaded.

Can you give some examples of other forums, how they are set up?

I found it very difficult to switch from threaded views to the linear forum of forums. But now I can't go back. The option is there to change it though.

Using the threaded mode now. I would be much better if the window for it were larger. I will look into it and see if the size can be increased. It could be quite useful, but the way I am looking at it right now I don't like it much.

EDIT: Hmmm. It's the first time I have used it, not sure if I can't figure it out or it's broken.... will look into it more.

EDIT #2 Increased the thread depth and works much better.

If I'd wanted a comment from an *******, I'd have farted. I specifically pointed out this site sucks compared to others, that don't. That implies I use other chat forums - ones that don't suck.

Ouch sorry sport. I might've chimed in because your condescending "some genius changed the site" comment was out of line. This place is kept going by a guy who busts his ass to earn exactly zero dollars and zero cents doing it. This site sucks? Replace sucks with "keeps the MNT supporters movement going" and we have a winner. Now seriously, who turned your computer on this morning?

OK, thanks I had not seen it before.

BTW the problem seems to be that threads are continuous rather than allowing for branching allowing people to easily see who replied to whom. That was indeed a feature of the old site and would still be useful. Sadly this sort of threading seems lacking in more "modern" interfaces. I find it much easier to follow replies than to read through a bunch of posts to find them.

OK, thanks I had not seen it before.

BTW the problem seems to be that threads are continuous rather than allowing for branching allowing people to easily see who replied to whom. That was indeed a feature of the old site and would still be useful. Sadly this sort of threading seems lacking in more "modern" interfaces. I find it much easier to follow replies than to read through a bunch of posts to find them.

I think it has to do with the number SQL calls you need to make to build a tree recursively. Maybe it's offloaded to the client side, not sure how they do it.

You can change to thread view from display.

I increased the depth, and I am going to try and increase the size of the window. I am not sure how well it will work for a long list of replies.

The branching of the old site was chaotic at the best of times.

On days when Canada played, the "branches" would be pushed completely off to the right side of the page. That and there were literally no way to organize/moderate threads and posts, making the board one huge, disorganized mess during busy periods.

Why exactly would anyone want to go back to that?

The branching of the old site was chaotic at the best of times.

On days when Canada played, the "branches" would be pushed completely off to the right side of the page. That and there were literally no way to organize/moderate threads and posts, making the board one huge, disorganized mess during busy periods.

Why exactly would anyone want to go back to that?

Agreed. That's exactly what it used to be. It certainly had its charm, but I think the current format is much, much better.

How different (or "inferior") is our current forum compared to other sites, like BigSoccer?

I guess overall I would have to agree that we have outgrown the format and style of the old network 54 forum. But that doesn't mean that that I disagree with the principle points raised in this thread starter. I was one of the reluctant ones when we discussed moving to this style of forum and that was precisely for the reason stated by the thread starter, namely that that the threaded style is more oriented and conducive to discussions. Posting in this forum feels like your making a statement or, worst, you get sometimes the feeling that you are talking to yourself.

I don't know what the best solution is. But the point is valid. Btw I am responding to Jake's post .

Edited by Free kick

You can thread the discussion by going to display, select threaded.

Can you give some examples of other forums, how they are set up?

I found it very difficult to switch from threaded views to the linear forum of forums. But now I can't go back. The option is there to change it though.

This is kind of cool. You can actually see the abbreviated version of the posts in discussion and pick the one you want to respond to and, the big bonus, it's all on one page.

I don't know what the best solution is. But the point is valid. Btw I am responding to Jake's post .

Judicious quoting would help in keeping it clear to whom you're replying. As I grew up (so to speak) on linear forums, it's a technique that is ingrained in my behaviour on fora.

I'm not a fan of threading because although it keeps individual tangents together, to me it seems less a single conversation than a bunch of cliques off discussing their own point on the thread without paying attention to the other people in the room (so to speak). To me, it's the point from left field - outside of the branch you're already reading - that is often where the interesting thought comes from.

I also have trouble keeping track of new entries when there are multiple branches you have to check to see if they're new or not. Anyway, I prefer linear posts but I would personally like it if people quoted a little more often (as I said, judiciously - not whole posts but the relevant points). But I can live with it as it stands and won't lecture people on their behaviour on the forum.

Judicious quoting would help in keeping it clear to whom you're replying. As I grew up (so to speak) on linear forums, it's a technique that is ingrained in my behaviour on fora.

I'm not a fan of threading because although it keeps individual tangents together, to me it seems less a single conversation than a bunch of cliques off discussing their own point on the thread without paying attention to the other people in the room (so to speak). To me, it's the point from left field - outside of the branch you're already reading - that is often where the interesting thought comes from.

I also have trouble keeping track of new entries when there are multiple branches you have to check to see if they're new or not. Anyway, I prefer linear posts but I would personally like it if people quoted a little more often (as I said, judiciously - not whole posts but the relevant points). But I can live with it as it stands and won't lecture people on their behaviour on the forum.

Its a matter of perspective I guess. Or what you are used to. Because, even though I agree with everything that you are saying, I tend to use those same arguments as fodder against the current format. The " bunch of cliques off discussing their own point on the thread without paying attention to the other people in the room (so to speak)" , actually IMHO happens here to a greater extent. But once your in a thread you actually cant ignore them because you have to scroll past them, whereas in the threaded style you can. Also, I say you can indeed see and distinguish new posts much better in the threaded style because the new ones that you haven't read are highlighted and the abbreviated version appears and is visible. you can make a quick decision if it is of interest to you or not.

But I'll say this, the one big flaw of the threaded format (such as network 54) pertains to on-going discussions. You just cannot have a a thread for something like the "Canadians abroad" . Or anything involving planning or organizing for matches. That's becasue on going or permanent discussions tend to fall back to older pages and people tend to forget about them and post a new subject starter rather then revive the old one. So, the tendency is to forget old discussion or what was said or agreed on last week or last month or last year.