BearcatSA

Canadian tennis [R]

He was #4 before surgery last year, but he also had a ton of favourable draws that kind of inflated his ranking

If he is healthy he has pretty much no points to defend after Indian Wells so he will be in good shape to move up the rankings rather significantly.

Milos in the Wimbledon final!!!

6-3, 6-7(3-7), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 over Federer in the semifinal. An excellent fourth set, including an incredible control of nerves for an easy final service game, after Federer was in control the previous two sets.

That is is going to cause 

52 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Go, Milios, go!

Milos is going to cause a massive dilema for viewers like me.  And maybe TSN.  The final versus Murray is scheduled for 9:00 AM Eastern time on Sunday.   And what time is the Final for the Olympic basketball tournament in Manilla?  The one that will possibly feature Canada versus France for a spot in Rio.  You guessed it, 9:00 Am Eastern.  

it seems that so many more of the most anticipated events for canadians are airing in the morning. 

12 hours ago, Free kick said:

That is is going to cause 

Milos is going to cause a massive dilema for viewers like me.  And maybe TSN.  The final versus Murray is scheduled for 9:00 AM Eastern time on Sunday.   And what time is the Final for the Olympic basketball tournament in Manilla?  The one that will possibly feature Canada versus France for a spot in Rio.  You guessed it, 9:00 Am Eastern.  

it seems that so many more of the most anticipated events for canadians are airing in the morning. 

Do you have all 5 TSN channels?  Or just TSN 1 and 2?  Or will you be watching via internet?

13 hours ago, Free kick said:

There's always TSN Games on Demand if you can avoid the news and watch one of them later.  Problem is those annoying screen crawls that'll probably tell you the result of what you're trying to avoid.  Does anybody like those things?  I heard some comedian say if he wanted to read he wouldn't be watching TV. :)

On July 9, 2016 at 0:23 PM, BearcatSA said:

Do you have all 5 TSN channels?  Or just TSN 1 and 2?  Or will you be watching via internet?

I dont have TSN.  For the basketball, i subscribe to Livebasketball.tv.   For the tennis, i watched what i could through the TV sports mix channel.   Ended up watching much more of the basketball. 

Edited by Free kick

We have a Wimbledon champion! Okay, it's not the one we were most hoping for, but Denis Shapovalov won the boy's singles championship this morning. And right now he's on court again with fellow Canadian Félix Auger-Aliassime in the boys' doubles final, tied at one set apiece.

Disappointing that he didn't do better in those tiebreaks, but, overall, very well done Milos!!! Hopefully he continues to play as well as he has been in the Rogers Cup coming up in a couple of weeks.

Canada stays in the World Group for Davis Cup beating Chile in Halifax. I didn't catch it on TV. Anybody know what the crowds were like? This article says there were lots of empty seats.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/canada+wins+davis+playoff+after+defeating+chileans+doubles/12201191/story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

After whacking the umpire in the eye, Denis Shapovalov has caught fire.  Goes for his third title in 4 weeks Sunday and 2nd ATP Challenger title in a row.  If he wins he'll be up to around 150 in the world.  Plays at 6 pm ET Sunday.  Live streaming is free on the ATP website.  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, CanadianSoccerFan said:

After whacking the umpire in the eye, Denis Shapovalov has caught fire.  Goes for his third title in 4 weeks Sunday and 2nd ATP Challenger title in a row.  If he wins he'll be up to around 150 in the world.  Plays at 6 pm ET Sunday.  Live streaming is free on the ATP website.  

And since then...

Fantastic Rogers Cup run to the semi finals, featuring back to back wins over Del Potro and then the vaunted Nadal, following it up with a big prime time win on Arthur Ashe over Tsonga in straight sets.  Wow!

48 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

What is going on with Genie? Is she still suffering from the effects of her fall at the US Open a couple years ago? Will she ever be right again? It's sad to see her struggle so much.

Peaked early but can't get above that ceiling and take it to the next level, like so many other players

5 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Peaked early but can't get above that ceiling and take it to the next level, like so many other players

It not really that she cant get past a 'ceiling' she is no where near the level she was playing a couple years back. She has lost her confidence and she doesn't know how to regain it (her admittance).

In a sport that relies so much on mental toughness once a player loses confidence like that they may never recover. In this case I wouldn't count on her regaining her form. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:45 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

It not really that she cant get past a 'ceiling' she is no where near the level she was playing a couple years back. She has lost her confidence and she doesn't know how to regain it (her admittance).

Part of the reason why she is not performing at the level she did before is that the opponents have a better grasp of her strengths and weaknesses and so have been able to game plan accordingly.  She hasn't been able to adjust either tactically or mentally; the results aren't coming, the confidence ebbs, some coaching changes happen further messing with the continuity and player's psyche.  With all that, she hasn't been able to push beyond the ceiling placed in front of her by that early success.

17 year old (as of a month ago) Felix Auger-Aliassime just won his 2nd Challenger title of the year in Seville.  The 2nd youngest 2-time Challenger winner in history behind Gasquet.  He'll be around 170 in the world as of Monday.  Nearly the same ranking Shapovalov had going into Montreal yet he's 15 months younger.  This in spite of missing the summer hard court season through injury.    

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

Would anyone happen to know why we are playing our Davis Cup tie against India at Northlands Coliseum?! We have the Aviva Centre in Toronto and Uniprix Stadium in Montreal, both dedicated tennis venues. Despite this, we decide to play in a run down, indoor, discarded hockey venue. I was watching for a little bit yesterday and they can't even get a proper camera angle! It seems like the camera is situated at court level behind the baseline. Can anyone explain the decision by Tennis Canada to play at Northlands to me?

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

Would anyone happen to know why we are playing our Davis Cup tie against India at Northlands Coliseum?! We have the Aviva Centre in Toronto and Uniprix Stadium in Montreal, both dedicated tennis venues. Despite this, we decide to play in a run down, indoor, discarded hockey venue. I was watching for a little bit yesterday and they can't even get a proper camera angle! It seems like the camera is situated at court level behind the baseline. Can anyone explain the decision by Tennis Canada to play at Northlands to me?

They've been moving around quite a bit. Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax.

53 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

They've been moving around quite a bit. Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax.

True, but I'm not sure it's worth playing at an old, run down venue made for hockey.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:35 AM, Jith12 said:

Would anyone happen to know why we are playing our Davis Cup tie against India at Northlands Coliseum?! We have the Aviva Centre in Toronto and Uniprix Stadium in Montreal, both dedicated tennis venues.

Well for one thing, it was an indoor venue.  From the few televised Davis Cup matches (mostly from Europe) I've seen in the last few years, the majority seem to be played indoors.  I imagine there are no make-up dates available in case of rain so indoors it has to be.  It was certainly cheaper for Tennis Canada to use Northlands than Rogers Place (which was probably gearing up for pre-season hockey anyway).

Edited by ray

In the new format for Davis Cup, Canada qualifies for the final round in November.  The kids, Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime ground out a 3-2 away victory over Slovakia.  A very positive result without Canada #1, Raonic for this tie.

Federation Cup World Group playoffs

April 20-21 Czech Republic vs Canada

It is rumoured that Prostejov will be the venue of the tie, which is a very exciting prospect for me! 

Three Canadians have reached an ATP/WTA main-circuit singles final already this year... and none of them are named Raonic, Shapovalov, Pospisil or Bouchard... incredible!

Now hopefully Felix will make it a first win on Sunday...