Sign in to follow this  
Duane Rollins

Expanding the Voyageurs name

A U-Sector led group in Toronto are making arrangements to create a supporter’s section at the Basketball Canada friendlies in August against France. Apparently section 111, which is a lower bowl, corner, will be set aside as an active cheering section.

Although it will be made up primarily with soccer fans with an interest in Basketball, the motivation is to support Canada in a sporting setting.

No one involved has suggested this, but it got me thinking. Since the vast majority of those involved in organizing the section are also Voyageurs would it not make sense to use the Vees name while promoting it? Would people here be opposed to the Vees being “expanded” to be a Canada supporter’s group, regardless of the sport (obviously soccer would always, by far, be the main focus but if events like these games in Toronto come up from time to time is there a harm in hanging our name on it – it helps spread the word, if nothing else).

Thoughts?

Edit: Here is the link to the U-Sector thread - http://z15.invisionfree.com/U_Sector/index.php?showtopic=13382&st=0

Edited by Duane Rollins
add link

Issues related to this, mainly regarding hockey.

If we let Basketball in, will hockey be allowed in? And if it is, will that mean hockey overtakes soccer and we have an anti-soccer crowd in here, like we see on the CBC comments and in other forums?

Will this become a primarily pro hockey organization?

Granted I'm newer to this organization than most, but i'm sure others have this same concern.

Keep it to soccer - let basketball fans organize themselves.

I would venture to bet that most V's love beer and beautiful women but wouldn't want to expand even into the tempting world of bikini contests if given the chance.

For those potentially being exposed to our group for the first time, V's will look like a group for general fans of Canadian sport, which we clearly are not.

Interesting proposal, but no thanks.

I thought about this a lot while at the Olympics in Vancouver. So much energy.

We have a chance to really build something to support the game here. We have only scratched the surface.

We could by proxy probably benefit tremendously from it, but it would be a big risk and the odds would not be in our favor.

It's ours. It's unique, lets keep it that way.

I would prefer we build something so successful that hockey follows suit in some half assed crappy commercialized way and we sit around like smug little bastards knowing we were there first..

Yes we need to stick to soccer. If other sports want to start supporters groups and affiliate or link to us that is fine and for sure there will be some crossover but the Voyageurs should be Canadian soccer supporters not just Canadian sports supporters. Most of UM are Habs fans and I imagine the same goes with U-Sector/RPB with the Leafs and Southsiders with the Canucks but I don't see why any of these groups would officially become a supporters group of the hockey team or a CFL, baseball or basketball team for that matter. It would be in everyone's interests if a basketball supporters group is created to encourage those with dual sports interests to become involved in both groups but they should definitely remain separate groups.

Yes we need to stick to soccer. If other sports want to start supporters groups and affiliate or link to us that is fine and for sure there will be some crossover but the Voyageurs should be Canadian soccer supporters not just Canadian sports supporters. Most of UM are Habs fans and I imagine the same goes with U-Sector/RPB with the Leafs and Southsiders with the Canucks but I don't see why any of these groups would officially become a supporters group of the hockey team or a CFL, baseball or basketball team for that matter. It would be in everyone's interests if a basketball supporters group is created to encourage those with dual sports interests to become involved in both groups but they should definitely remain separate groups.

But what about the wet t-shirt contest grizz... ?

No one involved has suggested this, but it got me thinking. Since the vast majority of those involved in organizing the section are also Voyageurs would it not make sense to use the Vees name while promoting it? Would people here be opposed to the Vees being “expanded” to be a Canada supporter's group, regardless of the sport (obviously soccer would always, by far, be the main focus but if events like these games in Toronto come up from time to time is there a harm in hanging our name on it – it helps spread the word, if nothing else).

We could change our name to "The Voyageurs: Canada's Athletic Supporters". :)

I actually don't have much of a problem with it (organizing for other sports, not the name change). This board will always reman as is, but if a bunch of Vees want to go out and support Canada in rugby or cricket or some other fringe national team (ie. not hockey), then have at it. There will not be a sub-forum added to the board for other sports or anything like that, but it would get our name out there. The board would always remain soccer specific.

I agree with most of the above. Although I only joined recently, I started reading this forum quite a considerable time ago and I'm here because of soccer - I've never even looked at the non-soccer category. I think the Voyageurs are developing a brand and it would be a mistake to dilute it. I will definitely join the yea votes regarding beer, bikinis and wet t-shirt though.

The Voyageurs should stay as a soccer only group, though I think it could be a good idea to show up at another sporting event to get the name out. (just make sure they know were soccer people).

Maybe we could be subcontracted by other sports organizations to provide support!

That happened when I was in engineering at UBC. The UBC hockey team paid us to come out and be fans cause no one went to the games.

3000 Voyageurs show up to support Archery Canada....

I think I'd prefer that other sports develop their own organization and their own identities. Supporters of different sports have different priorities and different opinions and the last thing we need is more "u suk no u" within our ranks. If a group of Voyageurs went to a basketball game and decided to wear the scarves and do the chants I'd be fine with that, but I don't want to court (pardon the pun) the basketball audience or get away from being Canada's national soccer supporters.

I could see the normal basketball going audience become frightened and upset by this. That might be a good reason to do it :)

I like and support Canadian basketball. I have no problem going to MNTmatches (if they're ever in our area - sounds familiar?), and would try to get friends to cheer along too.

But the Voyageurs are a SOCCER Supporters group and should remain as such. We have our own history to build on. (Voyageurs Cup?)

this is exactly why u-sector works in the way which is does - there's a noted lack of red tape. when things like this come up a sizeable chunk of u-sec says 'i want to go check out the boys play a little ball'. with that comes the assumption that the section will be of the euro basketball and euro soccer type.

hell, u-sector's best chant is a translation of pana's soccer/basketall classic 'horto magiko'

if you think that a single basketball friendly against france is going to open the floodgates for outsiders then you're sadly mistaken. the hockey types want sweet nothing to do with us. if i had the 'supercanucks' banner and were in Toronto then i'd have it plastered front and centre.