Sign in to follow this  
Trillium

Voyageurs Cup.....

There is a distirbing trend to using the term NCC, for Nutralite Canadian Championship on the forums.

Can we not call it the Voyageurs Cup ... and if you want say presented by Nutrlite.

Posters should clearly understand this championship would not exist but for the V's.

I used to do so, but I'm feeling more and more the VCup is the trophy, and the NCC the competition. It would help if we agreed on an acronym for Vcup: VC?

Same thing as the Champions League - European Cup

As Daniel says NCC is the compeition Voyageurs Cup is the trophy.

I don't really think it's that big of a deal. I call it the Vs Cup as NCC doesn't really come to mind first when thinking about the competition. I think as long as everyone who gets introduced to the competition learns that it's for the Voyageurs Cup, and definitely that it is named after our group of National Supporters (by the way, why are we still the Unofficial Supporters Group???), it's alright if they call it the NCC.

I used to do so, but I'm feeling more and more the VCup is the trophy, and the NCC the competition. It would help if we agreed on an acronym for Vcup: VC?

My feeling is after Nutralite dumps its sponsorship... do we suddenly call it the Giant Tiger Canadian Championship ?

The commercial partner is the presenting partner.. not the core of the championship... to me the V cup represents a brand and product that can grow, and the connection to the Voyageurs needs to be continued and made stronger not weaker.... cause you could easily see the CSA drop the Voyageurs cup as the trophy if sponsored asked them too....i.e. the Nutralite Cup.

cause you could easily see the CSA drop the Voyageurs cup as the trophy if sponsored asked them too....i.e. the Nutralite Cup.

Isn't keeping the name part of the agreement we have with the CSA?

Isn't keeping the name part of the agreement we have with the CSA?

Yes, it will always be the Voyageurs Cup.

And we need to leverage ourselves some more exposure as well. Not to try and edge out the sponsor or anything, but the history of it is interesting and explaining it is an opportunity for the sponsor.

Everybody needs to refer to it as the Voyageurs Cup, or else that name will never be known outside of this forum.

If you look at England, the FA Cup is called the FA Cup while the League Cup is currently called the Carling Cup, but its' name has changed many times over the years, and that is one of the reasons why it is not well regarded and is less prestigious. Sponsors for Canadian soccer events are rarely going to last long, and the CSA will be happy to repeatly switch sponsors in the search for more money with zero regard for creating/preserving tradition and the prestige that slowly builds with tradition.

The story of how the V Cup came to be is amazing and far more interesting than how most of the newer trophies came into existince. This very marketable story needs to be told as often as possible to anyone and everyone. The CSA suits will always be corporate shills in their official press releases, so efforts must be made by the fans to convince the sports media and on-air commentators to call it the V Cup and tell the public why it has that name. From phone-in shows, to the comments section of on-line articles, to directly e-mailing reporters and commentators, the V Cup can get into the mainstream media and reach the general public without any money being spent. In future, this group will probably be best known for the trophy. That is not a bad thing, as the trophy can serve as a great marketing vehicle to make this group bigger and better known.

If we are not persistent in calling both the trophy AND THE COMPETION ITSELF the Voyageurs Cup, then we are entirely consigning the fate of both to the always incompetent and corporate-whoring CSA. That will be a painful death. The trophy, the competition, this group, and all of Canadian soccer (even the CSA - despite themselves) will be much better off in the long run if we are able to downplay temporary corporate sponsorships enough that everyone always refers to both the trophy and the competition as the Voyageurs Cup. This can be done, but only if all the serious fans stick to the V Cup name and are able to get it into the mainstream media enough that the more general fans learn the real name. You cannot expect the CSA or the media to promote the group or the trophy name without some prodding.

So I am not crying in the wilderness ?

For next years cup ... we should talk to the clubs and get deal to sell a Voyageurs Cup tee shirt at each of the games... let the club take a cut and give the V's a portion.

Surely we can get that organised by next year... 500 tees at each venue at ten bucks a shot.

Everybody needs to refer to it as the Voyageurs Cup, or else that name will never be known outside of this forum.

If you look at England, the FA Cup is called the FA Cup while the League Cup is currently called the Carling Cup, but its' name has changed many times over the years, and that is one of the reasons why it is not well regarded and is less prestigious. Sponsors for Canadian soccer events are rarely going to last long, and the CSA will be happy to repeatly switch sponsors in the search for more money with zero regard for creating/preserving tradition and the prestige that slowly builds with tradition.

The story of how the V Cup came to be is amazing and far more interesting than how most of the newer trophies came into existince. This very marketable story needs to be told as often as possible to anyone and everyone. The CSA suits will always be corporate shills in their official press releases, so efforts must be made by the fans to convince the sports media and on-air commentators to call it the V Cup and tell the public why it has that name. From phone-in shows, to the comments section of on-line articles, to directly e-mailing reporters and commentators, the V Cup can get into the mainstream media and reach the general public without any money being spent. In future, this group will probably be best known for the trophy. That is not a bad thing, as the trophy can serve as a great marketing vehicle to make this group bigger and better known.

If we are not persistent in calling both the trophy AND THE COMPETION ITSELF the Voyageurs Cup, then we are entirely consigning the fate of both to the always incompetent and corporate-whoring CSA. That will be a painful death. The trophy, the competition, this group, and all of Canadian soccer (even the CSA - despite themselves) will be much better off in the long run if we are able to downplay temporary corporate sponsorships enough that everyone always refers to both the trophy and the competition as the Voyageurs Cup. This can be done, but only if all the serious fans stick to the V Cup name and are able to get it into the mainstream media enough that the more general fans learn the real name. You cannot expect the CSA or the media to promote the group or the trophy name without some prodding.

Definitely still work to be done.

On Wednesday night, very little mention of the Voyageurs Cup. I only heard it mentioned once. And no Voyageurs - that I could see - involved with the presentation.

Great idea Trillium, but a great design and cotton and $15 a shot. We could bank a LOT of money.

Edited by Vic

The replica of the V cup is on display at The Soccer Hall Of Fame at the Soccer Centre in Vaughn.

Looks great.

It will also be on display at the soccer Hall Of Fame induction banquet,tonight at the Liberty Grant Banquet Hall.

325 seats have been sold.

A new award "THE BRIAN BUDD AWARD" has been awarded to the late Peter Zezel.

Two amazing guys and dear friends .

Edited by john tv

In honour of FC Edmonton competing for the V-Cup next year, I went back and revamped my V-Cup logo design... it's free for anyone to use so long as it promotes the Voyageurs (this includes monetary support if it does get slapped on a t-shirt)

voyageurscupredux.th.jpg