Sign in to follow this  
Winnipeg Fury

Time for new leadership of the V's.........

We have had numerous discussions in the past about formalized leadership. Is now the time?

Cue certain members of the old guard to quash any idea of the sort and maintain that with an organic organizational structure things will magically happen ;).

But really, I would love to help any way I can, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond.

We have had numerous discussions in the past about formalized leadership. Is now the time?

Essentially this would be formalized leadership. It's what I have been doing the past few years. I'm stepping aside, and want someone else driving the bus.

We need a central figure behind the scenes who can work equally with business executives, club supporter groups, etc, and do so in a mature, professional manner that keeps everyone on board and working together. Things like the evolution of the Voyageurs Cup did not just 'magically happen,' and require a diversified, mature skill set.

Some will say the V's are no longer relevant with the emergence of club supporter groups. I argue the exact opposite. We provide the neutral platform which all Canadian fans, regardless of club stripes can unite and work together across Canada.

We proved a powerful force during World Cup Qualifying and have only just begun our journey. The game is growing in Canada and we will grow with it. The foundation has been built. I concluded a meeting with the CSA this week and they want to continue our partnership in all venues across Canada. The Voyageurs Cup is now televised and the single most important trophy in Canadian soccer. It too will continue to prosper and grow as more professional clubs emerge to compete for our beloved V-Cup.

Frankly most the hard work has been completed. We need someone who can maintain these positive relationships and continue to steer and grow the V's. This will come by continuing down the same road we are now directed. Communication is key. The task is about building bridges in a soccer landscape which few exist.

Now is the time for us to shift gears. I don't want a big change right before Qualifying matches. We need to continue our positive work and can't relax.

I'm more open source and anarchist than the next guy, but IMHO it's time for structure.

So many people have had a great time from their involvment and participation, and any thanks I could come up with would be unworthy and I'm sure unrequired also. A job well done is the best satisfaction.

Edited by Vic

Now would be a good time to formalize, at least a little. Not the "membership fees/totally revamp things" organization that some of us like, but something.

Time to get things rolling.

Anyone interested in filling this position, will have until May 10 to officially throw their hat in the ring. Place your name here. Just to clarify, this is not for interim assistance or helping out.

Ok. I am in, unless anyone objects. I was hesitant and slow on the draw for this for a one major reason, that being financial stability. Most of what I have done over the last few years has been a boom/bust cycle which makes it hard to do things consistently. That appears to be changing come fall/early 2011 and will allow me to work on things with much longer term planning.

I sent a message to WF.

Jaime I'm sure you'd be a great representative for us. Have you officially taken over for WF then?

Leadership? Heck, I've been hanging around here a couple of years, and I've never even figured out how to join properly ... any time I find a link it's broken, or says coming soon!

Leadership? Heck, I've been hanging around here a couple of years, and I've never even figured out how to join properly ... any time I find a link it's broken, or says coming soon!

The thread refers to the "contact laison" with the CSA and the main clubs. WF has done A LOT in organizing with each of the supporters' groups for WCQ, having the CSA recognize the Voyageurs Cup as the symbol of the best of Canadian professional soccer clubs, raising funds to finance projects like the Voyageurs Cup, banners, and special seating, and dealing with the CSA and the clubs on many issues.

As the Voyageurs are an informal, volunteer-army type group, WF has stepped up and assisted in many of what we enjoy currently with the Canadian soccer scene. He is now asking someone to step in his place due to many work and family reasons.

It's not an easy task. Firstly there's no real economic benefit as it's all voluntary. Secondly Canada is HUGE, and its Canadian supporters span coast to coast, not just in the major cities of Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Thirdly, the CSA had been weary of extremist elements that offer nothing but complaints. WF has sat down with the CSA and established an excellent working relationship regarding areas that assist the

sport's supporters, the Voyageurs.

Think you can do better? Then step up, my friend. Worrying about website links is also important, but getting Voyageurs sections during WCQ matches (with discounted prices) has a larger impact. Remember the past Canada matches where Canadians were OUTNUMBERED in our own stands? How about the matches in Swangard where Canadian fans were told to sit down by security based on the "complaints" by Guatemalan fans? How about the lack of security in Edmonton when Canadian fans were taunted and disrespected by Hondurans in 2004?

Effective leadership is about getting things done, even behind the scenes. The next "leader" has big shoes to fill, but much of the work has been already established.

Edited by redhat
space constraints

Think you can do better? Then step up, my friend.
Do better? Heck, my whole point was I can't even figure out how to join - let alone lead! I'd destroy you all in no time!

I think my point was missed ...

But to highjack the thread ... how DO I join ... what am I missing here ...

Do better? Heck, my whole point was I can't even figure out how to join - let alone lead! I'd destroy you all in no time!

I think my point was missed ...

But to highjack the thread ... how DO I join ... what am I missing here ...

Be a member of this board and participate in Vs activities is effectively how you join. There is no formal membership here (although this point has been subject to debate in the past).

You know, perhaps nfitz's complaints as to how to actually join raises an area of concern that finally needs to be addressed. Do we even have an explanation on the site yet as to how to join?

Who is going to make the final call on who takes over for WF?

Be a member of this board and participate in Vs activities is effectively how you join. There is no formal membership here (although this point has been subject to debate in the past).
Fair enough. The only reason I thought there was something formal is that when I bought a t-shirt at the 2008 Jamaica game, I was asked if I was a member.

You know, perhaps nfitz's complaints as to how to actually join raises an area of concern that finally needs to be addressed. Do we even have an explanation on the site yet as to how to join?

Who is going to make the final call on who takes over for WF?

My apologies to nfitz if he thought my post about stepping up applied solely to him. Not at all !

The thread was about getting someone to fill in WF shoes in being the Voyageurs liason with the CSA and the clubs. This position is VERY important as much of what we do as a supporters group is done behind the scenes and done informally.

Respectfully, this may not apply to new members and would likely apply to someone already familiar with the Voyageurs and the current professional clubs. As for "how to join", well that's another thread ... This is an informal group that eventually, in the future, will likely

be formalized. By posting on this board, helping out at MNT and club events, and attending Voyageur events in different cities, you're already a Voyageur.

Personally my criteria for being a Voyageur is being able to defend our MNT against all ignorant nay-sayers, as well as going through all the obstacles of following our MNT (internet radio, international travel, ridicule of fans of other nations), only to be let down by poor call by an incompetant or corrupt CONCACAF referee. I'm sure every Voyageur understands what I mean. :(

Fair enough. The only reason I thought there was something formal is that when I bought a t-shirt at the 2008 Jamaica game, I was asked if I was a member.

That is confusing.

As vBulletin 4, the version we are using brings back features of 3 (go figure) such as customized profiles ect... we will have something that is customized so that it appears to be that you are signing up for a group and not a forum, but you are still just signing up for a forum.

Connecting people is what will count, newsletters, social media connections from vBulletin to Facebook, Twitter ect.. will also make a big difference. It's going to be the connection that ultimately counts, not how they sign up.

It's been a while since I've posted here, and even a while since I've lurked, so... hi, guys. (I saw the TFC team photo with the V-Cup and thought of y'all!)

Just wanted to add a couple of things to the discussion, here.

First, WF has done a fantastic job of representing the Voyageurs over the years, and anyone with any connection to the V's owes him a debt of thanks.

Second, while I never did as much as WF did, I was very involved with the Voyageurs Cup for its first four or five years, and was responsible for the communications with all the clubs (five of them in 2004! Can you believe it?) as well as the media and the CSA. If anyone is considering doing this -- and I know socceronly has thrown his hat in the ring, which is fantastic -- I just want to point out that you get a lot out of it. Understanding how organizations work (whether they're soccer clubs, non-profits, businesses, whatever) is really useful knowledge.

Honestly, it's something I still bring up when I have job interviews and the like. "Volunteer experience? Well, you know the Voyageurs Cup that the Toronto team just won? Yeah, I was the PR guy for the first few years, and actually presented it to the winners in the first year." It means I do stuff, get involved, help make things happen. Just this past spring, when interviewing for a certain position, I described what I did for the V-Cup to demonstrate that I'm able to communicate with large groups and that I'm comfortable talking on radio and television. So there's definitely an up-side to being involved.

I don't think I need to repeat how important having someone like WF around is, or the kinds of things that that someone needs to have or needs to be. But no one mentioned that it's really a good thing to do, and it really does pay off in a lot of unexpected ways.

Here's hoping the position is filled successfully. And a round of applause, again, for WF, and everyone else who's contributed to the betterment of the overall group over the years. Hope to see it keep going.

Okay, sermon over. See y'all in a couple of years... :)