Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Winnipeg Fury

Will be speaking with Peter Montopoli.........

Recommended Posts

The CSA would never sell a significant amount of tickets for $5 anyways, so not worth debating that. When i said discounted i meant like 50% of the regular price, so 3 games costs you 150% of 1 club game. If we could get alteast 10K SSH, waiting list or V's with 3 game packs from the pre-public sale then that's half the stadium already. Then, when tickets go on sale to the public you only make the expensive seats available and at over 100% TFC prices (so the red and dark red seats are like $100 each atleast) that way the 5K foreign fans are lining the CSA coffers to the tune of $500K per game. Make the other 5K seats available to people within Cdn soccer circles, at a price similar to the pre-sale, but not $5. And at the very least, the South stand should be a "no fly zone" for foreign fans.

Another thing that could be done is when fans go to ticketmaster, you select which zone you want to sit in (Canadian or opponent). You purchase a ticket based on your selection and if you try to be a smart ass and buy a cheap Cdn ticket and show up in that section and are not a Cdn fan then you don't get in. Make it in BIG LETTERS and run it by the legal dept...and print it on the tickets too, that way there's no ****ing around. That should also eliminate most of the scalping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had the meeting yesterday with the CSA: Montopoli, Guest and their new Director of Business Development, Sandra Gage.

It was brief and essentially an introduction to Sandra Gage, as she will be involved in the promotion for the matches. Peter Montopoli stated they were extremely happy with our support and wanted to continue working with the V's for all future home matches across Canada.

Sandra will begin preparing for the games and will be calling back with match details, feedback, etc.

I raised the issue of security for the Honduras match, and the CSA recognize they can not have a similar situation to last match in Montreal. They heard the message and agreed, but await the game plan from the new Director of Business Development.

We have a very solid relationship with the CSA and that means right across Canada, regardless of factors. Agreed now is NOT the time for us to get slack. We need to continue our positive momentum.

On a personal note, I would like to abdicate my post as the wheel behind the V's. Too many other fish to fry right now. We have united fans across Canada and I have established a solid working relationship with the CSA and all invested parties, Voyageurs Cup ,etc.. I'm hoping someone can step up and hit the road running.

We need someone that will put the national interest first, ie, the V's can not be secondary to a club supporter group in terms of personal commitment. I also think it should be someone from out East. Closer to the action (for now anyways), so to speak (although not too close as to **** things up, particularly with club involvement, rivalries, animosity, etc...) and why not out East. Time to change things up, but hopefully without losing our recent significant gains.

Great feedback and we will continue to move forward. Until someone else takes the wheel, I will keep you posted. Please keep in mind this was not an open interview, so I was not going to ask questions off topic. At least not this time.

I'm also experiencing computer problems, and may have to take mine into the shop shortly. If anyone needs to talk, feel free to call:

204-344-5111, ext 5692 (days)

204-475-5659 (evenings)

Hope this e-mail finds you all well and I look forward to attending the September matches.

Please begin immediate dialogue over who will be the central wheel and official V rep. Hopefully someone who has been around the block a few times, known and trusted by many in our organization and most importantly, mature and able to deal equally adeptly with the mob and executive class. On a personal note, I think it would be nice to have someone from eastern Canada take the reigns, although certainly not essential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, WF. You are an absolute legend and have my utmost respect for all you have contributed to the V's (thus far).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest someone from RPB as they need to remain a major target for the Vs to ensure that their organization remains under the flag of the Vs for NT matches. They're continuously growing, so will also be able to provide new people to join the Vs as well. How many on here are in RPB? Any who have been in our group for more time than in RPB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WF,thanks so very much for all your hard work on behalf of the V's,the Cup,Canada and soccer in general.I have no recommendations to fill that vacancy and we all are so very busy in our daily lives.I tend to agree that your recommendation to have someone from this neck of the woods should be the one and for obvious reasons.Once Vancouver starts rolling we may have some other thoughts.I hope you have records of the various happenings that will become part of the Soccer Hall Of Fame.just in case.

Thanks buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd suggest someone from RPB as they need to remain a major target for the Vs to ensure that their organization remains under the flag of the Vs for NT matches. They're continuously growing, so will also be able to provide new people to join the Vs as well. How many on here are in RPB? Any who have been in our group for more time than in RPB?

Guilty. There are a few others on here but I'll let them ID themselves.

I'd be willing to help out if someone wants to take the lead; frankly, time is an issue...although, it's likely an issue with most out there.

Also, my thanks go out to WF as well. I'll buy you a beer or two in a couple of weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last thing we want is to start picking our leadership based on what supporter's group they're from.

The Voyageurs can never be a subsidiary interest of the Red Patch Boys, or the Ultras, or U-Sector, or even the Southsiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guilty. There are a few others on here but I'll let them ID themselves.

I'd be willing to help out if someone wants to take the lead; frankly, time is an issue...although, it's likely an issue with most out there.

Also, my thanks go out to WF as well. I'll buy you a beer or two in a couple of weeks.

RPB here as well. But I'm not qualified for any position of anything within this group and I'd refuse to do the job if you tried to get me to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The last thing we want is to start picking our leadership based on what supporter's group they're from.

The Voyageurs can never be a subsidiary interest of the Red Patch Boys, or the Ultras, or U-Sector, or even the Southsiders.

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The last thing we want is to start picking our leadership based on what supporter's group they're from.

The Voyageurs can never be a subsidiary interest of the Red Patch Boys, or the Ultras, or U-Sector, or even the Southsiders.

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WF, thank you for all your efforts. You have been an outstanding leader of this group. I wish you all the best.

you guys know that I am always ready to do my part for the Voyageurs, especially when it comes to buying up large blocks of tickets for friendlies or WCQ matches at BMO Field. I think that this is realistically the only way we will be able to control the sale of tickets in certain sections of the stadium.

If not for my responsibilities with Milltown FC, I would consider taking a more involved role with the Voyageurs but I do not think I can dedicate the time needed. However, in the interim, until someone is prepared to fill WF`s shoes, if someone is needed to communicate with the CSA on behalf of the Voyageurs, I would be happy to do that. I already have a good working relationship with Peter Montopoli, Richard Scott, Sandra Gage and the other key players at Metcalfe.

Edited by VPjr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks WF for all your work and dedication to the voyageurs! All the best.

I would like to put myself forward as someone who'd be willing to help out in any way possible. I live in Ottawa (literally 15 minutes walk from Canada Soccer Place) and would be open to becoming more active with the CSA on behalf of the Voyageurs in a wide range of areas. I will be leaving Canada for the summer but upon my return in September, I am 100% committed to whatever help is needed.

Cheers

Edited by CanadianSwede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WF - Thanks for your work.

What would taking over entail? How much day-to-day stuff was there and during WCQ how much time did it take out of your day? I think understanding the scope of the position will help people figure out whether they can step forward or not.

Another idea is a tandem approach (for example, myself and CanadianSwede or something as we're both in Ottawa). That way we're not overloading one person. So long as those two work together and keep in contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ed

I oppose seeking nominations from the Red Patch boys. National Team support has to be the priority. I might be more amenable to the U-Sector, as they have some history with our nats.

Edited by Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I oppose seeking nominations from the Red Patch boys. National Team support has to be the priority. I might be more amenable to the U-Sector, as they have some history with our nats.

Ed, I think you'll find that there are some folks here who associate ourselves equally (or even more) with the Vs compared to our club affiliations. Regardless, I don't think it has to be mutually exclusive.

The one thing that you do want are people who are even keeled and not super-hostile to supporters of other club sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ed, I think you'll find that there are some folks here who associate ourselves equally (or even more) with the Vs compared to our club affiliations. Regardless, I don't think it has to be mutually exclusive.

The one thing that you do want are people who are even keeled and not super-hostile to supporters of other club sides.

I agree. I would support anyone from any supporter group in this country, but we want a bridge builder...a consensus reacher. Someone who can organize the group. It makes me wish we had a formalized process to select somebody to do this job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the work you've done WF. Great job.

I think El Hombre has a good point. Perhaps a small "executive committee" with a spokesman appointed by the committee would be the way to go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ed
Ed, I think you'll find that there are some folks here who associate ourselves equally (or even more) with the Vs compared to our club affiliations. Regardless, I don't think it has to be mutually exclusive.

The one thing that you do want are people who are even keeled and not super-hostile to supporters of other club sides.

I hear ya. But, just to be clear, I would not want a candidate who puts attending TFC matches ahead of Nat team activities, and there will definitely be conflicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I hear ya. But, just to be clear, I would not want a candidate who puts attending TFC matches ahead of Nat team activities, and there will definitely be conflicts.

I recall a good number of RPB and U-Sector folks wound up in Montreal for the Honduras debacle even though the Chivas USA home game was the same day. Having said that, we're on the same page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we end up having a board I think it is ok to have people from supporters groups on it and likewise it is fine for them to run special projects. I think the main leaders though should not be too strongly associated with any supporters group or team so that they appear neutral and fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If we end up having a board I think it is ok to have people from supporters groups on it and likewise it is fine for them to run special projects. I think the main leaders though should not be too strongly associated with any supporters group or team so that they appear neutral and fair.

Sounds reasonable and exactly what we have been doing for years. Case in point, you have assisted, but are affiliated with the Ultras.

No question whoever takes over needs to be neutral and treat all club groups (that work with us) equally. It's the same maturity which must be demonstrated dealing with all our partners.

Now does this mean you can't support your club in a certain section: Of course not. What you can not do however, is get involved in pissing matches and be viewed (optics are everything) in a biased manner. I have always taken great care to treat all groups equally and if possible, use the V's as a forum to discuss contentious issues in a positive manner. Obviously, going beyond this forum. Again, it's all about building bridges.

As for my day-to-day functions, very minimal at this point. Closer to Qualifying things will get busier, but right now, the wheels are turning on their own. Expanding the Voyageurs Cup was a major endeavour, but that work is complete. Nothing to do but enjoy the matches and bask in the glory of our trophy. The relationships have been established and the bus is going in the right direction, but somebody still needs to be at the wheel. We have a solid foundation from which to build, but can not completely ignore things or risk losing all our recent gains.

Frankly our future if handled properly looks very bright. Montreal and Vancouver in MLS will mean more supporter groups, more Canadian fans, more V's. I expect they will want to work with us to have equal footing with the established groups. Edmonton in NASL next year and maybe more teams in that league. Again, more groups, more Canadian fans, more V's. Our numbers will continue to grow.

The Voyageurs Cup is a huge success. Again, it will continue to grow and prosper. The CSA are committed to working with us across Canada and I have recently spoken to Peter Montopoli and we are on the same page and ultimately working for the same goals.

Not sure what to tell you guys. Things look great and much of the lasting foundation has been built. I just have other things on the go at this time and felt time to shift gears. Like many of you, I too am willing to assist here and there, but what is required is a designated individual to act as our official liason. This function can not be performed in piece-meal fashion.

There was a never an official coronation, but this has been my role over the past few years and without it, I think things would look very different today. The role is required and if the right person can step-up, positive results will continue.

One thing which held me back from this announcement was thinking of the ensuing mess on our forum. This can not be a free for all and simply not the way business is conducted. Perhaps we can have a committee to chose once a number of people have publicly stepped forward and stated their interest. I would be more than willing to assist with this project. If you guys are good with it, I will approach a number of senior V's about participating on this committee with myself. I will post the committee and list of individuals interested in the position. If not, you guys can handle it any way you desire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this need to be taken on by a single person only, or could we look at perhaps dividing things between two or three?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...