Sign in to follow this  
Duane Rollins

News about Belize...

For those interested in following the progress of our first round opponents....

http://www.amandala.com.bz/sports2.html

FFB names Garrincha Adderley national team coach

BELIZE CITY, Wed. Jan. 14, 2004

At a press conference this morning at the Belize Biltmore Plaza Hotel, the Football Federation of Belize introduced Anthony “Garrincha” Adderley as the head coach of the Belize Men’s National Football Selection that will represent the nation in the Germany 2006 World Cup qualifying round.

American Ian Mork was introduced as the FFB’s national technical director. He will also act as an assistant to Coach Adderley.

Garrincha Adderley is one of Belize’s most successful

footballers. Adderley came to national attention as a member of the Stann Creek Interdistrict teams that won that national tournament three times. He would also win two First Division championships as a member of Belize City’s Berger 404 team, (he also played for Haig Dimple and Red Stripe), before retiring at 23 years of age to join the Belize Defence Force in 1980.

Adderley returned to national attention as the head coach of Grigamandala, a Dangriga-based team which reached the championship finals of the Belize Premier Football League Regent Insurance Challenge Cup tournament in 2000.

In his remarks Coach Adderley outlined his plans, saying that the selection process would begin within two weeks with an invitation to players to come try out at three one-day training camps. He said that each camp would evaluate 30 players, and that the three groups would be reduced to one group of 30 players from which the team would be selected.

“We are asking people to support us and we are asking people to cooperate with us. It is a short time, but it is our hope that by the first week in March we will have a team to showcase to the Belizean people for at least two and a half months.

“During that time the Belizean people will have their input. Then we will prepare for some district games to show off our boys within the country, and then we go on for some international tests, with other teams; hopefully Mexico will be one of those teams. Mexico is considered the top team that will give us an opportunity to see where we stand after training, and then finally it’s Canada.”

Afterwards Coach Adderley said that he hopes to have the players in training three days per week, and that it should not interfere with their league playing schedule. He also said that their status in regards to the FFB/BPFL imbroglio would have to be determined by others in higher authority.

Ian Mork said that he had been planning to return to Holland when he was contacted by the FFB and offered the opportunity to help develop football in Belize.

Mork coached two Belize semi-pro teams - the San Pedro Dolphins and the Builders Hardware Bandits, to the playoffs during a two-year stay in Belize. He has played in the Major Soccer League in the United States, and said that he spent the last eight summers working with some of the best coaches in the world.

“With the situation with semi-pro and the Federation,” said Mork, “which was also happening during the time I was here, I see that it’s a situation that hopefully we can solve … but it may not happen in the near future.

“The youth footballers of Belize, the boys and girls, are not benefiting from the situation at the higher level.”

Mork said that he has already put together a developmental plan that is long term in its approach.

“We must look to the future,” he said.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

He also said that their status in regards to the FFB/BPFL imbroglio would have to be determined by others in higher authority.

This is the whole kit and caboodle for Belize. If the FFB reaches an agreement with the BPFL or decides BPFL players can play for the Belize national team, Belize won't be half bad. If not they'll send an amateur side that should be massacred.

If they're serious about having friendlies and trying to play Mexico, then I would guess the professionals will be allowed to play for their country.

It'll be interesting to follow these camps.

cheers,

matthew

Actually they're the Balmopan Builders Hardware Bandits. And they're nothing compared to the mighty Kulture Yabra!

How about my favourite Div. 2 team - Youth For The Future! That's the ruliest name that ever ruled. Or something.

cheers,

matthew

Pictures of various soccer "stadiums" in Belize....

Isn't the game being played at Orange Walk? So I assume they are playing at People's Stadium?

Well, here is a picture of said stadium....

its a really poor country...we shouldnt be so arrogant.

i am sure that people in england and germany do the same when they see our national team is going to play its first home game in years in a stadium that looks like this....

belize is a third world country....what's our excuse?

Guest Dave

Marci, thanks for posting the pic of the Belize stadium. Isn't that the Prime Minister's official residence alongside the Executive seating area? :D

Great view of the pitch for El Presidente. Guess being head-of-state-for-life (until assasinated) comes with its privelages. [}:)]

Hey come on guys, lighten up. This is supposed to be a national soccer supporters forum. If we can't rag a bit on a prospective WCQ opponent, what's the point? [^]

You are right TrueViking. Its easy to look at others and point out how pathetic they are. What I find pathetic is a country like ours, does not even have a real soccer league up and running. We need to depend on our neighbors to the south to run the A-League..opps, I forgot about the CPSL, but doesn't everyone else forget about that league too!

Also, we have great facilities in our various cities, but haven't used them in over 5 years. Thank god for the WCQ.

Let's look at countries like Italy, England, Spain, France, Holland, and many others to see what we could improve here.

I know I went off topic, but its frustrating reading what some people post.

We are supposed to be a humble country, yet we laugh at those less fortunate. Makes me think of the US.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I'm about to order my tickets for the game but how thinks the game will happen? anymore word about belize been kicked out?

No word, last was a meeting of CONCACAF and FIFA bigwigs about a month ago in Belize to try to sort the problem out. Given that Guatemeala has been "temporarily reinstated", it looks like FIFA will bend over backwards to ensure all WCQ's to go ahead.

Strong odds the game will be on, buy your tickets, and you can always get the refund if the unexpected happens.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

You are right TrueViking. Its easy to look at others and point out how pathetic they are.

Hey, nothing is more pathetic then not having your own national league (ie Canada). [V]

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Hey, nothing is more pathetic then not having your own national league (ie Canada). [V]

Not having your own national championship is more pathetic. Of course we fail miserably in this respect, too. [V] (Even Iraq are back up and running.)

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

No word, last was a meeting of CONCACAF and FIFA bigwigs about a month ago in Belize to try to sort the problem out. Given that Guatemeala has been "temporarily reinstated", it looks like FIFA will bend over backwards to ensure all WCQ's to go ahead.

Strong odds the game will be on, buy your tickets, and you can always get the refund if the unexpected happens.

Yeah, I second that. Hamiltonfan, don't be hesitant to buy your tickets.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Makes me think of the US.

[kidding]No league? AHAHAHAHAHA!!! What a bunch of pathetic losers!!!! God, why can't these stupid countries be hyper-powers like us?[/kidding]

:D;)[:o)]

Don't get too down on yourselves though. For having no pro league, you've got an excellent national team considering the circumstances.

Guest Ed

Glass houses boys. We are strictly banana republic in all aspects of the domestic game. Fortunately we have a few players who are good enough to rise above the pitiful situation back home and can make a living overseas.

Belize are getting ready or perhaps they're continuing to fall apart. It's tough to say right now.

www.amandala.com.bz

BELIZE CITY, Thurs. Apr. 29, 2004

The teams in the Belize Premier Football League Regent Insurance Cup Tournament are preparing to give some of their players an ultimatum effective this Monday, May 3rd, 2004.

Our reports are that as many as 18 BPFL players may have been traveling several times per week to the Football Federation of Belize training facility in Belmopan to workout for the FFB’s proposed “national” team. The players claim that they have been promised a minimum of $50.00 per workout, and they are to be paid on a monthly basis, starting this Friday, April 30th, 2004.

The BPFL is saying that since the FFB has banned BPFL teams from playing international matches, they will be pulling their players from the national team workout. The FFB is preparing a team to represent Belize in two FIFA World Cup elimination games against the Canadian national team, scheduled for June 13th & 16th at Richardson Stadium, Queens University, Kingston, Ontario.

Our reports are that the FFB has ignored another ultimatum from the National Sports Council of Belize (the deadline was April 15th, 2004), issued in a letter from the Sports Council’s attorney, Michael Young, and will again be de-registered by the Government of Belize. If that should happen, GOB will declare that no FFB organized team can represent the nation, or use the name Belize in any game or tournament.

The FFB, meanwhile, has told the players who are working out that the team will play a friendly against an Asian team before traveling on to Canada. Players say they are being told that once they leave Belize they won’t return for at least two weeks.

Someone claiming to be Belizean has posted this at BigSoccer:

"A group of players were organizing a solidarity march for Saturday May 15. Because of this and pressure from many other teams and the general public, the Prime Minister called a meeting between the Football Federation of Belize (FFB), the Belize Premier Football League (BPFL) and the Ministry of Sports and the Sports Council. At the meeting everyone agreed that it was in the best interest of Belize football that the matters be resolved. The BPFL accepted the terms of the FFB and are oncee more officialy affiliated with the FFB. All players have been given the go ahead that if called for the selection they should attend. In fact, even though the Amandala report of a week ago mentioned that the players were leaving, several of them responded to the BPFL that they prefer to be sanctioned by them and not continue their participation in their current league but that they will put Belize first and will play for the national team."

So, it looks like we may be facing a spirited team with all their best available players.

CONFIRMED

http://www.belizetimes.bz/hardhitting.shtml

PM brokers football truce

By Glenn Tillett

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Prime Minister Hon. Said Musa brokered a truce between the at-odds Football Federation of Belize and the Belize Premier Football League at a three-hour meeting this evening at the Belize City Centre conference room.

Accompanied by Minister of Education and Sports Hon. Francis Fonseca, Belize City Mayor and National Sports Council of Belize Chairman David Fonseca, the Prime Minister listened to the arguments from both sides and then brokered a tentative agreement that could soon lead to full reconciliation between the organizations.

FFB Chairman Dr. Bertie Chimilio and BPFL Commissioner Maito Perdomo both agreed that the BPFL would retain its conditional membership in the FFB, and its full membership should come shortly pending the swift resolution of the outstanding issues that continue to divide the organizations.

Their respective executives should soon be sitting down together to decide on the details such as the structure of the various leagues, after which their agreements will be ratified by their general assemblies.

The BPFL has been assured that its membership will have access to international play, and the FFB is expecting that BPFL players will be fully a part of the national team process.

Both sides have agreed to respect the process and to move forward in good faith.

The National Sports Council of Belize, whose committee was fully represented at tonight’s meeting, will collaborate with both organizations to produce a national plan for football’s development, from youth to adult, and from recreational to semi-professional.

The Football Federation of Belize was de-certified and sanctioned by the National Sports Council of Belize last Friday, after failing to comply with several requests by an April 15th deadline. The decertification and sanctions remain in place.

Dr. Bertie Chimilio was accompanied by FFB Vice Presidents Ray Davis and Bernaldino Pech, as well as Eloy Avila, a member of the FFB’s Executive Committee.

The BPFL was represented by Commissioner Dr. Bertie Chimilio, Assistant Commissioner Reynaldo Malic, Sagitun owner Tony Zabaneh and Benny’s Kulture Yabra head coach Marvin Ottley. After years of quibbling, the BPFL withdrew from the FFB in July 2002.

I seriously think Belize will be close to the same calibre we could expect from Haiti, Cuba or Martinique. A team we should certainly beat, but this isn't going to be a walkover and these guys are going to be well prepared. I hope we're well-prepared as well. If they keep it close early it could be a long day for us.

cheers,

matthew

I seriously think Belize is going to suck and we'll kick the crap out of them. There's two beer leagues fighting over the right to represent the country. Oh no, they're joining forces! What will we do?

It's difficult to say - I suspect they may not be as bad as some people are suggesting, though I don't know about them being as good as Haiti (who might just knock off Jamaica), Cuba or Martinique (all of whom I would rank above Barbados, a team that our out of shape B squad beat fairly comfortably). And we have got two home legs, so it's tough as a fan to get too worried. I'm sure that Yallop won't have the team take anything for granted, but we have to be totally confident of victory here with two home legs or we might as well not bother trying to qualify.