Sign in to follow this  
hamiltonfan

Voyageur Badge- Soccer or Football

The Voyageurs- Canadian ________ Supporters  

38 members have voted

1. 1. The Voyageurs- Canadian ________ Supporters

• Football
    • Soccer

With the “big four” all using F.C (Football Club) instead of S.C (Soccer Club), is it time we officially change the badge from Canadian Soccer Supporters to Canadian Football Supporters?

Discuss and Vote.

post-75-139465253001_thumb.jpg

The national association is the Canadian Soccer Association, not Football Association. In a better world it would be the Football Association, but since it isn't, I think we should stick with Soccer Supporters to avoid ambiguity. I personally prefer Football Supporters, but... ya know what, to hell with it, we should be Football Supporters. Those that love the game know what the hell it's called, and that's Football! Those who already have an interest in the game will know that soccer and football can be one and the same, so I don't think it'll actually be that big of a deal. Is there any way to change one's vote??

I have three reasons for choosing Soccer as the true Canadian way of calling our sport.

1. The name is actually English (British). They conceived the word. They do actually use it from time to time, and their number one selling "football" magazine, is named none other than World Soccer. Other countries have their own names as well, such as here in Spain where the historical name is Balonpie (foot ball), although now they call it Futbol for the most part.

2. Other countries use the name as well, and not just the States, Australia, New Zealand, and a few countries in Asia. It's called soccer in Ireland!!!!! There, they have their own gaelic football, and thus footy is called soccer. As I've always said, if the Irish can call it that, it validates the name in my book.

3. Related to 2, we already have a sport called football. Yes, you can argue that logically the name is better applied to footy because you rarely use your foot in the NFL's game, but so what? Have a little self respect. We have a sport here, and a history to go with it. Canadian's and American's have our own football, just like the Aussies and the Irish, and just because it's not my favourite sport doesn't mean I'm going to disrespect it and everyone who follows it by going on about how it should have a different name. I'm Canadian, and here in my country, football is worn wearing a whole hell of a lot of plastic.

Go Soccer.

Language exists to communicate. There is no point in using a word if it just causes more confusion. Since we are mostly communicating with Canadians and not Europeans, it's gotta be soccer.

Guest Ed

Soccer. Football has those lines on the field dude.

Soccer, calling it football doesn't make you any more of a "real fan" like so many think it does

And the Aussies who are more British than the British call their team the Socceroos

Kinda had to. What with three popular sports claiming some sort of share in "football". Thank God "foot" can't be found in cricket anywhere.

Soccer on the badge is fine. Don't use the word soccer myself very often, except of course when talking to non-fans, but it is the predominate name for the sport on this part of the continent.

Rolls off the tongue nicely. Easy to spell. Doesn't use up a lot of ink. What's not to like?

Kinda had to. What with three popular sports claiming some sort of share in "football". Thank God "foot" can't be found in cricket anywhere.

Soccer on the badge is fine. Don't use the word soccer myself very often, except of course when talking to non-fans, but it is the predominate name for the sport on this part of the continent.

Rolls off the tongue nicely. Easy to spell. Doesn't use up a lot of ink. What's not to like?

Not been watching the IPL on PPV then Cheeta?:rolleyes:

Anyway chaps been English and bit of a Pedant, I can confirm that there is nothing wrong with calling football 'Soccer' as its an establish oxford dictionary derivation of the correct term Association football.

Supposedly the term was used back in the 1900's by those "Thoroughly Decent chaps at Harrow"- who also played cricket I'll be bound! :D

Back in the day I played for a nonleauge team in the UK called Yorkshire Amatures AFC (Association Football Club)

then theres AFC Bournemouth and AFC Wimbeldon etc

Question: does FC Edmonton looks better as AFC Edmonton?

By the way the I found Aussies tend to use both soccer and football (depending on heritage)with Australian Rules Footall almost exclusivley known as 'Footie'

I'd stick with Soccer.