Sign in to follow this  
Tuscan

Improving The Voyageurs - Our Growth

I think it comes down to a large number of simple things that need to start happening in order to make this group more appealing to new people, as well as keep it relevant in the eyes of the club supporter groups.

It's paramount that the Voyageurs remain the central hub in the support of the national teams, in that the partnerships with the club supporter groups that happened during 2010 WCQ in '08 keeps happening. I don't really think this is an issue, as the TFC supporter groups, UM02, and Southsiders seemed to have no problem banding under the Voyageurs flag. It will become interesting once both UM02 and the Southsiders start growing due to their expansion into MLS, but I'm sure that the number of both UM02 and Southsiders who are already on here will push this group as the hub for the Nats.

The following list are things that I think need to happen in order to bring on the little improvements that will help this group grow. Please expand on this and/or remove anything that doesn't seem necessary:

- constant updating of the front page, possibly through linking to relevant blogs/articles/tweets/etc...

- continuously moving towards web 2.0 through Twitter, YouTube (done), Facebook (done but small and informal), other relevant means

- creation of a "Welcome" section of site completely separate from the forum

- way for people to become official members w/o having to sign up to the forum, but encouraging them to do so in order to contribute

- creation of partnership with CSA to give us a larger time frame to plan in advance of home friendlies, etc... (continuous, VPjr could you please explain our current relationship with the CSA in regards to tickets, stadium sections, etc...?)

- creation of partnerships with soccer associations to let grassroots players know we exist (provincial only, or do we proliferate as far down as youth or even mini-soccer associations?)

-

I didn't add complete formalization and organizational structuring as that is a major, major undertaking that needs to be explored on its own. Currently I think we can get by informally (yes, I realize I flip-flop on this issue like a spendocrat... Vote Quimby). People tend to step up when necessary, but seeing as how we've got the two friendlies coming up in September, we should make sure to do everything possible to make this group as appealing and relevant as possible to really capitalize on gaining new members and getting more proliferation in the media if possible.

One thing that I would like to see the front page used for would be to track meet-ups. For example, in advance of May 25 in Argentina, if we are having a Voyageur meetup at xxx in Ottawa, it would be more visible, because the posts for the smaller locations drop off the board pretty quickly

Are any of the Vs going to be in attendance of the NCC media conference?

I like the idea of creating provincial chapters, but I don't believe they need to be sub-organizations, but rather more or less a few people who look after the organization of match get-togethers, ticket dispersion, etc. Provincial chapters obviously makes more sense in smaller provinces like here in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Maritime provinces, the Territories, etc. Toronto, Montreal, and Edmonton definitely need to become more organized, as when I went out to Edmonton for the Mexico WCQ I ended up sleeping on a hotel room floor hehe.

Do we really need any type of sponsor? What do Three Lions or the Green and White Army do in regards to this? I know our numbers pale in comparison, but still, might as well aim high. Jamie, what are the plans for getting sponsors for the website?