Sign in to follow this  
Guest speedmonk42

Voyageurs Website Content Discussion

Guest speedmonk42

I am happy to make just about anything, but I want to gauge people's level of insanity when it comes to information.

For example, lets take the Game content type. http://www.cansoc.org/?q=node/309 In its current form data like Stadium, Opponent ect... are typed directly into text fields. Would you rather have those as drop down lists from existing nodes? What I mean is instead of typing BMO, you select BMO from an existing list of Stadium content types.

This makes initial data entry much more difficult. Because in order to enter the game you would first need to create the stadium node, the opponent ect...

But in the long run it is much more useful.

A better example would be players. Do you want to see the players current team and all the pro teams they previously played for and every national team game they ever played? I am happy to set up the interconnected tables for this, but it is useless if the data does not get entered.

The CSA already has this data system set up. They want us to link to it, and will not provide the data.

You can see where it goes. Player Awards, well those awards need to be entered. Ect...

Does this make any sense?

I agree with the CSA on reinventing the wheel in a manner that can never be as good as the job they do. For both players and games.

It would take no time at all to write a crawler that pulls every game and player off their site and parses it into a repository, but there's no way anyone could maintain it to the level they do. Just don't have the access to information and full-time salary.

I would lean to the things they don't do well - more work on the blogs, a global unified national soccer event calendar, social networking integration, a well-organized public shared media library (photos, video, wallpapers, screensaver, templates, etc) etc.

That navigation icon cracks me up.

Guest speedmonk42

Interesting. That icon is only supposed to be visible to people with accounts.

Not supposed to be public, probably wasn't until I added the new site instructions.

Hmmmm

Zoinc... gone.

Guest speedmonk42

lol

It is gone if you refresh correct?

Guest speedmonk42

Ah FFS.

Again boned by permissions. The above example should look quite different now.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I am happy to make just about anything, but I want to gauge people's level of insanity when it comes to information.

For example, lets take the Game content type. http://www.cansoc.org/?q=node/309 In its current form data like Stadium, Opponent ect... are typed directly into text fields. Would you rather have those as drop down lists from existing nodes? What I mean is instead of typing BMO, you select BMO from an existing list of Stadium content types.

This makes initial data entry much more difficult. Because in order to enter the game you would first need to create the stadium node, the opponent ect...

But in the long run it is much more useful.

A better example would be players. Do you want to see the players current team and all the pro teams they previously played for and every national team game they ever played? I am happy to set up the interconnected tables for this, but it is useless if the data does not get entered.

The CSA already has this data system set up. They want us to link to it, and will not provide the data.

You can see where it goes. Player Awards, well those awards need to be entered. Ect...

Does this make any sense?

I think it's good to have predefined fields for certain things, but you need to be judicious in their use.

I think to start out, you link directly to the CSA site for players and their data, since it's all there in a reasonable format. As much as we sometimes complain about the timeliness of the CSA providing public data, there's no way that we're going to maintain all of the player data as consistently as they do. Maybe in the future we decide we need special pages/data for some players to provide fan-related data above and beyond what the CSA provides (knick-names, our photos, cool anecdotes), but I think starting with what the CSA has is fine.

But having predefined tables for things like stadiums would be a good idea, IMHO, since the CSA doesn't provide any info related to stadiums. The stadium itself can be such an integral part of the fan experience that maybe we do have content that we can provide for each of the major stadiums in Canada (supporters sections, advice for ticket-buying, security policies, etc) that is of interest to all of us.

Guest speedmonk42

Yeah, stadiums will be the last of the content types for now.

Can always add more.

I am going to remove the club and association directory until that can be reliably added.

Voyageurs Stuff

History

About

Ect...

Soccer Stuff

Players

Supporters Groups

Pro Teams

Canadian Soccer Blogs

Stadiums

Couple of comments:

- Let's get some bigger pictures in there, make that front page pop!

- Look to change the favicon, which is currently a green checkmark.

As for French, do we have analytics from the current site/forum to see how many people from, say, QC, are visiting?

How about Canadian Soccer Hall Of Fame it's news and selection process,the banquet as well as guidelines to submit a request.

There are some great Canadians in the Hall we or at least some of you are not aware of.

This is a great Canadian tradition that will carry on to ensure that all these great Canadian soccer players men and women get the proper recognition.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by john tv

How about Canadian Soccer Hall Of Fame it's news and selection process,the banquet as well as guidelines to submit a request.

There are some great Canadians in the Hall we or at least some of you are not aware of.

This is a great Canadian tradition that will carry on to ensure that all these great Canadian soccer players men and women get the proper recognition.

I have already gone searching for your logo online, but could not find a good one. Was going to ask you about it at the show.

I was planning to add the SHF for sure.

Thanks Speedy you made my day. Logo wise I should have one for you. We have a Hall Of Fame pin which btw is also a good idea for the V's, to have their own pin.

Will there be a section on the forum for V's that are putting together projects (ie my History of the Canadian Soccer Jersey or Canadian Stadium guide) on the new forum for all to see? I am really not that in tune with these new "spaceage" message boards

Sam's Army used to have a depth chart on their web site...it would list players by position have a bit of data on them (caps, club and a bit of a scouting report on them). I don't know how they they did the scouting, and because they played 20+ games a year, depth was determined by caps primarily (something that would be harder for us).

Is it possible to create a mobile version of the forum for using the site on our phones? (eg. http://mobile.canadian-soccer.com or http://m.canadian-soccer.com)

I find myself checking the discussions a lot when I'm out and about. Navigation on the current forum is a bit of a challenge.

This would also be very handy for those Voyageurs in the stands at matches in providing game updates when there is no TV coverage.

Could be the first step in the creation of a Voyageurs iphone/blackberry/droid etc app!

Guest speedmonk42

I think that is a great idea.

There are Forum mods/apps for BB/Android/ect... for VBulletin.

For the site, should be able to make a completely stripped down version for mobile phones.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

I think that is a great idea.

There are Forum mods/apps for BB/Android/ect... for VBulletin.

For the site, should be able to make a completely stripped down version for mobile phones.

Yes, this will not be a problem. Just took a cursory look into it and there are lots of tools out there for doing this.

Probably look at it in March.

I will wait a while on the VB plug ins for mobile users, probably a couple of point releases on VB because all the developers have to re write their mods. Everything is buggy right now apparently.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Vic

Just an fyi - the images are missing from the main page of cansoc.org

Yeah, I was changing the sizes as suggested by Daniel yesterday. My laptop power supply died :(

It's a 130Watt bugger. Can't find that anywhere and it won't boot with anything less. Special order only.

Crap knob gobbler of a time for this to happen.