Sign in to follow this  
tmcmurph

Singapore Feedback?

I heard the Murphy Wiredu was recently here in Toronto for some personal business, but he's already back in Singapore. A friend of his told me that he plans to stay in Singapore for the next season. I don't know about Anthony Bahadur, but I've been told that Rickey Harris didn't make it, his cocky behavior cost him a place in the team and the club got rid of him.

Last week a player told me that Rafael Carbajal is already organizing the next trip to Singapore for the first week in November, he told me he's going.

I think playing in Singapore is definitely a good step forward for many of our young players that want to measure themselves up to a different level of soccer and experience a completely different culture, that will ultimately help them to prepare for better and bigger leagues.

its funny you should ask this question because i've been meaning to start a new thread about another trip to Singapore that is being scheduled for early november

Three players signed contracts last season and 2 are still in S-League. Of the three, Murphy Wiredu is having the biggest impact. he's one of the stars of the team (Sengkang Punggol) but, sadly, the team is having another difficult season, although they are enjoying a slightly better season than 2008 (the sit solidly in 10th place in the 12 team table at 21 points through 25 games). Anthony Bahadur is also still with Sengkang Punggol but isn't as prominent a player for the club. He has a lot of upside so it will be interesting to see if he sticks with the club for 2010 (i think the club has a contract option for 2010) Rickey Harris left his club in Singapore (Geylang United) after struggling to earn consistent playing time.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, coach Rafael Carbajal (head coach of serbian white eagles of the CSL) is beginning to plan for another trip to Singapore. All Interested players should contact Rafael directly. his email address is rafael.carbajal@hotmail.com. he can give all the details if players have interest in this opportunity to showcase themselves for the opportunity to play pro soccer.

I was reading on the OSL Board that Jordan Webb (Toronto Lynx PDL, GS United and Italia Shooters) is leaving for a trial in Singapore. Any info on this?

^ nope...but doesn't surprise me...Jordan is a very nice player. Wouldn't be surprised if Murphy or Baha helped him set up that trial

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

its funny you should ask this question because i've been meaning to start a new thread about another trip to Singapore that is being scheduled for early november

That puts us in the "Great Minds Think Alike" or "Fools Seldom Differ" category ;)

I am interested in any feedback the players have about life in Singapore, the training, the level of soccer, etc. If anyone has a contact with the players please see if you can get a short interview posted here.

Thanks

^ if someone wants to conduct an interview with Murphy Wiredu, I'm sure I could get it organized. I simply don't have the time to do it at the moment

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

That puts us in the "Great Minds Think Alike" or "Fools Seldom Differ" category ;)

I am interested in any feedback the players have about life in Singapore, the training, the level of soccer, etc. If anyone has a contact with the players please see if you can get a short interview posted here.

Thanks

Try contacting Fish Out of Water , Sengkang Punggul blog :

http://fishoutofwaterspfc.wordpress.com/

or www.kallangroar.com

When I played against Jordan Webb he was a very fast winger with good control. But as I mentioned to others, I really wonder how good people would consider these players in terms of skill if they did not have their speed

^ speed can be a huge advantage, especially in less technical, more physical leagues.

Look at a guy like Tossaint Ricketts. he's making a living in Finland...he's very fast but not all that impressive at this point from a technique standpoint (although I'm sure that full time training is helping that a bit).

Jordan Webb is a Ricketts type of player. He would be the kind of player that might thrive in a Finland or Norway but his game might not work as well in a super hot, humid place like Singapore unless his fitness is incredible.

---Reminder----

For the 2nd consecutive year, Rafael Carbajal (2008 Canadian Soccer League Coach of the Year and now Head Coach of Winstars Academy) is organizing a Showcase tour to Singapore for top Canadian players (aged 18+).

The 2009 group of players going to Singapore will leave on November 1, 2009. I'm not exactly sure of the length of the trip but it is likely that the trip will be 8-10 days long. The players will play 3-4 matches for scouts.

All Interested players should contact Rafael directly.

his email address is rafael.carbajal@hotmail.com. He will gladly provide all the details.

Is he taking a full team or a group of players? I know a player who was interested in going so I will tell him about it.

When is the dead line for the players to get in the group for this trip?

Good News From Singapore:

Sherif El-Masri (formerly of Toronto Lynx PDL and U20) has signed a 2 year contract with S-League powerhouse Home United FC.

Jordan Webb (also formerly of Toronto Lynx PDL and who played some games for Italia Shooters in CSL) has signed a contract with Sengkang Pungol and will be a teammate of fellow Canadian Murphy Wiredu. Apparently, Murphy will be re-signing with Sengkang for the 2010 season after a successful rookie season.

Congratulations to our boys in Singapore. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone to bigger things for all of these young men.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Good News From Singapore:

Sherif El-Masri (formerly of Toronto Lynx PDL and U20) has signed a 2 year contract with S-League powerhouse Home United FC.

Jordan Webb (also formerly of Toronto Lynx PDL and who played some games for Italia Shooters in CSL) has signed a contract with Sengkang Pungol and will be a teammate of fellow Canadian Murphy Wiredu. Apparently, Murphy will be re-signing with Sengkang for the 2010 season after a successful rookie season.

Congratulations to our boys in Singapore. Hopefully this will be a stepping stone to bigger things for all of these young men.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.