Joe MacCarthy

New Canadian stadiums

It just hit me that this stadium is basically finished.  Few thought that little Regina could do something so fantastic when this was originally discussed seven and a half years ago (see first page of this thread).  It's amazing what a can-do attitude can accomplish and just makes me wonder why people want to be so negative when there is often no reason for it.

This people in this country can accomplish anything we set our minds to, just need the will to do it.

Just posted a new photo and it still amazes me how the smallest pro sports city built the nicest stadium for a reasonable amount of money.  The pressure should be on Calgary to do as well.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

5 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It just hit me that this stadium is basically finished.  Few thought that little Regina could do something so fantastic when this was originally discussed seven and a half years ago (see first page of this thread).  It's amazing what a can-do attitude can accomplish and just makes me wonder why people want to be so negative when there is often no reason for it.

This people in this country can accomplish anything we set our minds to, just need the will to do it.

A couple of weeks ago they had an 'open house' event that we attended. The stadium is stunning and also has cable rigging systems for future TIFOs :)

They are having a 50% capacity test event within the next week or two. 

13 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It ... makes me wonder why people want to be so negative when there is often no reason for it.

Fantastic stadium, wonderful facility. The only problem is it cannot be used for professional soccer which is very disappointing.

I meant negative in the "it can't be done" kind of way.  I understand why the people running the stadium did what they did, I just don't like it.  They made it much more difficult and expensive to host high end soccer there.  But I gather to their way of thinking, they won't be hosting much high end soccer so that's why they did what they did.

Saw this post at another forum.  Sort of a lost love kind of thing.

I was at Rams vs Huskies test event at NMS yesterday, and the stadium is amazing. We sat in a few sections and there aren't really any bad seats, even in the end zones.

And man, New Mosaic is going to be LOUD thanks to the canopy. It was really loud yesterday, even though there were only 16500 people, and the crowd seemed to be split evenly 3 ways between Rams fans, Huskies fans, and people who didn't care about either team. Once the place is packed with 33,000 Rider fans it'll be deafening

23h1sno.jpg

From the stands: a look inside the new Mosaic Stadium
Joel Gasson 3DownNation October 1, 2016

Another big step forward for the City of Regina’s new Mosaic Stadium on Saturday afternoon with the first ever event held in the new 33,000 seat stadium.

On a sunny Saskatchewan fall afternoon, the University Regina Rams beat the University of Saskatchewan Huskies 37-29 in front of a Canada West record 16,500 people. Even though the game was entertaining, as the Rams have been all season, the real reason most people came to the game was the check out the new digs.

Unlike the current Mosaic Stadium, when you first enter the facility at ground level, you’re not actually at the bottom of the stadium. This makes access to the lower bowl much easier and means less of a climb for fans that will be making their way to the upper deck when that portion of the building eventually opens.

One of the biggest upgrades you’ll notice when you get to your seat, is it’s actually a seat. Even though the seats aren’t cushioned they are plenty comfortable without having to bring your own seat pad like for the benches at the Taylor Field. As a bonus, there’s also cupholders and plenty of room for even a big guy like me.

Walking around the stadium there didn’t appear to be a bad seat in the house.

The partial roof is supposed to be a new state of the art kind of roof. Adjustments are apparently going to be possible to deal with wind, which has been known to happen in Saskatchewan. Since this was just a test event without all of the bells and whistles of the new stadium, the roof might not have a full effect just yet as the near 30 km/h wind certainly made it’s presence felt on the field and in the stands.

The biggest bell and whistle isn’t up and running just yet as this massive new video board isn’t operational at the moment. It was well known coming in that the Maxtron wasn’t going to be up and running yet but seeing just how big it is in person is impressive. This picture was taken from the two rows below the concourse level in the south end zone standing area and the screen still barely fit in the frame.

There was definitely a few glitches with the sound early on, most notably from the mic on the head referee. Some fans online also commented on sound not travelling as well to the ends of the stadium. These are pretty standard issues in new stadiums and hosting an event like this will help them iron out the wrinkles before the Riders open the facility officially next season. I remember being at Tim Horton’s Field at one of the first games there and the sound wasn’t that great either but it’s since been fixed.

Another thing you’ll notice right away about New Mosaic Stadium is the space. As expected, the concourses are much wider but just how much they can handle will be tested when all 33,000 people are there compared to the half capacity for this game.

What’s really good about the concourse is there are plenty of areas to stand and watch the game beyond the section in the south end zone. This is a big part of stadiums today as people like to socialize with family and friends on top of watching the game.

The concession choices were limited for the test event with some local vendors brought in. If this is a sign of things to come when the real concession stands are ready, fans should have plenty of choice beyond the usual fare. It’s always good to bring brands the community recognizes into sporting facilities now, whether the restaurants at this game will be there next season has yet to be seen, but it’s a good sign. Hopefully some local beer is offered up as well.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have to use the facilities, so a review of the washrooms will have to wait. I’ve been told it’s a huge upgrade, which isn’t hard if you’ve ever had to go at Taylor Field.

Overall, it seems like the City of Regina and it’s contractors have hit this project out of the park. To date, it remains on-time and on-budget, something that can’t always be said for projects of this magnitude.

The first event went off with seemingly few hiccups, which is a good sign for the next test event which has yet to be announced and of course, the Riders making their move next season.

All in all, this a stadium that Regina, the province and fans of football in Canada should definitely be proud of. If you didn’t think Taylor Field needed to be replaced, stepping foot in the new building across the street will definitely change your mind.

New Mosaic Stadium experience is 'overwhelming'
Craig Baird Regina Leader-Post October 2, 2016

With fans starting to line up outside the door at 11 a.m., it was clear Saturday was going to be a big day for Mosaic Stadium, the Regina Rams and the City of Regina. This first real test of the stadium allowed fans to come out and fill the seats for a game between the Rams and the University of Saskatchewan Huskies.

The test event, which would fill the stadium to 50 per cent capacity, was hotly anticipated by many who were attending the game.

“I am very excited for the game and the new stadium. We were season ticket holders in the previous stadium, and we got our tickets some time ago,” Deb Sandercock said. “The stadium looks awesome. I love the look of the big screen. I am looking forward to protection overhead too.”

Sandercock, who has been a season ticket holder at Taylor Field for 15 years, jumped at the chance to try out the new stadium.

“I am really looking forward to seeing the Riders here,” she said. “We would love to come to test events next year.”

Others loved the feel and atmosphere of the stadium.

“It is a little more closed in, and it seems like the weather is more manageable,” said Aiden Kerslak.

“The atmosphere is awesome,” said Dani Letain.

For many ticket holders, walking into the stadium was an overwhelming experience.

“It is overwhelming. It is beautiful. I had some decent expectations,” said Kaitlin Stocks, who has visited many CFL stadiums and proclaimed the new Mosaic Stadium as the best one yet. “You feel closer to the other side of the stadium. People don’t feel like specks anymore. It makes you feel more like a community than the old stadium, as much as we loved Taylor Field.”

Stocks summed up her feelings for the new stadium in just a few words.

“It is a dream come true for fans.”

The closeness to others in the stadium was also highlighted by Ben Dunville.
“I love how there are a lot of social areas,” Dunville said. “The concourse is so much wider. Having the two sides connected is really nice.”

Rick, a host for the past 15 years at Taylor Field, said that people walking into the stands were amazed by what they saw.

“People are just amazed when they walk in,” he said. “Everyone is very impressed by what they see. Everything is nice here. It is just an impressive building.”

Mayor Michael Fougere, who greeted ticket holders as they walked in the door, echoed the feeling.

“It has been overwhelming. I have been through the stadium many times. Now with 16,500 people here, you get a sense of the size of the stadium,” Fougere said. “People are overwhelmed by this. It is a big wow factor. A lot of people didn’t make the sneak peak and are seeing it for the first time. They are just wowed by it.”

Mayor Fougere also stated that the stadium was the best in Canada, and that every seat was the best seat. This statement has been a common one leading up to the test event.

“This is in my view, the best stadium in Canada,” he said. “The sound system is great, it is just fantastic. We have the biggest scoreboard in Canada. The game day experience is just going to be incredible.”

Many ticket holders agreed that there wasn’t a bad seat in the house.

“Our seating is much better than expected. It is very open,” said Stocks.

“I have not found a bad seat yet,” said Kelly Oliver. “We have sat a few different places and haven’t seen one yet.”

“We are sitting down in the corner at the 15-yard line, it is really great,” said Dunville. “We spent some time in the standing area in the end zone. There is a nice vibe there. So far, so good.”

Several vendors were set up throughout the concourse, with many treats including a two-foot long hot dog proving to be very popular. Food vendors were popular enough that by the fourth quarter, many were running out of food. Coney Island Poutine set up on the concourse, serving hundreds of customers before half-time.

“It has been amazing. People have been fantastic. Everyone is very patient,” said Curtis Krassman as he hurriedly made burgers for the line-up of people. “We will be here in 2017. We will have our own booth and will be serving poutine as well.”

While many are excited for what the new stadium will bring to Regina, there are still thoughts about the field that will be left behind.

“We can’t wait to get in here, but I hate to see the old place go,” Brent Bailey said. “It is what it is, times are changing.”

“There are lots of memories at Taylor Field, we have been season ticket holders for 25 years, but this is spectacular,” Mike Patterson said. “We will keep the memories, but this is better.”

Mother Nature also provided a helping hand with a sunny and cloudless day for fans. The Regina Rams did their part too, defeating the Huskies 37-29, a result the mayor never had any doubt in.

“The Rams will win of course, no question,” he said prior to the game. “We will send the other guys packing.”

The next test event will fill the stadium to 75 per cent capacity and is slated for the spring of 2017.

Transit system passes test

Leading up to the Rams versus Huskies game, the push to have residents alternative means to the new Mosaic Stadium seems to have passed the test.

While some drove, many others took the free bus service that ran to the stadium throughout the entire day. As early as 11 a.m., buses were filled with people making their way to the football game.

“The bus has been really good so far,” said Pat Harvey. “It worked out really well.”

For Ryan and Jennifer Pilsner, along with their three children, the service was efficient but cramped.

“It was all right but it was a little cramped. I have three little guys with me and we were all standing,” Ryan said.

“It was efficient for the most part,” Jennifer added.

Overall, they were happy with the dedicated routes to the stadium.

“They don’t stop and that is the way to do it,” Ryan said.

“It was very slick and we got here pretty quick,” Jennifer added.

Kelly Oliver and Mike Patterson also took the bus, giving it high grades for its efficiency getting them to the stadium.

“The bus was perfect,” Kelly said. “We have no problem taking the bus here for future games.”

Not everyone took the bus, with several attendees choosing to drive and park near the stadium and walking the remaining distance.

“The parking was great. We parked by the Dairy Queen,” Lee Wolfater said. “It was only a five minute walk away.”

Dani Letain and Aidan Kerslak also drove and walked to the stadium.

“We were only five minutes away,” Aidan said. “It wasn’t too bad.”

Kaitlin Stocks arrived with friends, choosing to park near the stadium and walk.

“We ended up parking on a side street because they lifted the normal Taylor Field ban on side-street parking,” Stocks said. “We checked that out and we got a really good parking spot.”

The next test for the transportation and parking at the stadium will be in the spring when a second test event fills the stands to 75 per cent capacity.

Now that I have posted some reviews of what is arguably the best stadium in Canada, I'm going to harken back to why I started this thread.  One reason was to publicize the news to other people who are fascinated by this subject like me and the other reason was to find new places for our NTs to play.

I always said from day one the problem wasn't the facilities, it was the playing surface.  We had/have plenty of great facilities but the problem was the artificial turf (or the myths and resentments against it)  I've always tried to have a glass half full philosophy and tried to find solutions instead of being negative.  NMS (New Mosaic Stadium) is one of those related issues.

Thanks to Vancouver, we have finally put to bed the issue of playing on artificial turf. Take away any other points of argument (players don't like it etc) the precedent has been set AND during WC qualifiers.

Almost all of the big stadiums in Canada save Molson, McMahon and now NMS can readily handle a soccer match.  We have Saputo so Molson can be eliminated.  People often comment on how good the sight lines are at McMahon but I'm not sure if it can accommodate the width of a FIFA game (don't quote me on that) and I believe it has inlaid football lines.  This could be solved when and if they get a new stadium (see this thread for more news on that)

That leaves us with NMS, how can it be used for our NTs.  It has permanently inlaid lines and soccer lines too.  From reading some quotes in this thread it seems the intent of the people running the stadium is to not cater to big time soccer because they figure there won't be much need for it.

I'll get to the point.  The only way I can see this stadium ever being used for big time soccer is for someone/somewhere to have an artificial surface that can be either rolled out or on top of trays.

The cost and hassle of temporary natural turf is out of the question for the CSA (hence the use of BC Place) and any notion of painting the field is aesthetically out of the question.  I think there is a photo somewhere in this thread where they painted green lines (to match the artificial turf) over the white football lines.  You cannot match the shades of green, it looked like a field with green football lines.  The hew and cry that would be raised especially by some who are offended by a slight faded white line at BMO would be too much and having seen these green painted fields i would agree.

To me the only solution is to put an unpainted artificial turf over the inlaid artificial turf.  Crazy but may be the only practical solution unless someone can think of something else.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

If they ever host a national team game there I would move the soccer field closer to that terrace so the fans standing there are right on top of the field and so close.

7 hours ago, 1996 said:

If they ever host a national team game there I would move the soccer field closer to that terrace so the fans standing there are right on top of the field and so close.

I've had the same thought. Plus the CFL endzones mean that those in the end seats are very far away from the action. Push the field to one end leave the seats at the other empty. 

However, I'm not 100% sure which would make a better supporters section, the terrace of the seats. The terrace is great for standing but I wonder what the limit is on how many people they'll allow in there. 

Interesting look into the bowels of Olympic stadium.

Forbidden Montreal: Inside the Big O
CTV Montreal July 15, 2016

Forty years after it first opened, the Olympic Stadium leaves nobody neutral. But whether you love it or hate it, there’s no denying it has become one of Montreal’s most recognizable symbols.

“Every Montrealer has a souvenir, a memory attached to the Olympic Stadium,” said Olympic Park spokesperson Cedric Essiminy. “If not, they know somebody who worked on building the stadium.”

The construction was plagued with problems from the start. It took 10,000 workers and massive cost overruns to finish in time for the 1976 Olympic Games.

Montreal's Olympic Stadium under construction in the 1970s.

The finished product includes labyrinthian tunnels normally off-limits to the public, emergency escape routes for athletes and more than a few urban legends.

There’s also wildlife – employees talk about the three foxes who make regular appearances.

Watch the full report for more of the secrets of the Olympic Stadium.

Secret briefing books link CalgaryNext and Olympics bid, despite official denials
Drawing including the Olympic rings, winter sports banners makes link to 2026 Games bid
Scott Dippel, CBC News Nov 13, 2016

10376si.jpg

Briefing books obtained by CBC News include detailed drawings of the CalgaryNext project incorporating the Olympics logo. (Scott Dippel/CBC)

If the briefing books the Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation (CSEC) has given to city council are any indication, the owners of this city's top sports teams have already put a lot of work into the megaproject they call CalgaryNext.

An awful lot of work.

CBC News has obtained drawings of the arena/stadium/fieldhouse complex that Calgarians didn't get to see at the council meeting in June.

They show a precise level of detail. Right down to where the coaches' offices will be located. How many washrooms are needed. Where the restaurants will be placed.

The documents leave the impression that the owners of the Flames and Stampeders didn't just pay an architectural firm for a few conceptual drawings.

No. This is clearly what they want to build.

1ny16h.jpg

Briefing books obtained by CBC News show detailing drawings of CalgaryNext facility. They include precise locations of many amenities, including locker rooms, owners' luxury box and washrooms. (Scott Dippel/CBC)

And while it's a detailed glimpse of what Calgary's future sports facilities could look like, there's also one image which raises so many more questions.

It's the one that shows the Olympic rings on the wall and banners hanging from the roof which display winter Olympic sports like bobsleigh, skiing and speedskating.

So far, everyone with the city and CSEC have said the Olympics and CalgaryNext are not linked. The picture shows either something else or a whimsical glimpse of some future 'maybe' if a bunch of planets align.

When the last CalgaryNext discussion happened at city council in June — a mere week after the city plunked down $5 million to explore a potential bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics — the mayor was asked about the connections between the two sports mega-projects.

'Just a coincidence'

"It's just a coincidence that it's happening at the same time. But the Olympic discussion is so far behind this discussion that it doesn't make any sense to tie them together," said the mayor.

"Clearly if you were going to go forward with an Olympic bid, you'd need more facilities. But whether those facilities look like CalgaryNext... you certainly don't need a new stadium, so it's a very different question."

The head of CSEC, Ken King, said something similar in April.

"Our project is a bonus to a bid, as opposed to a bid necessarily being a bonus to our project," said King.

It's worth noting that King is also a member of the board for the Calgary Sport Tourism Authority, the group that pitched city council on spending $5 million to explore an Olympic bid.

Coun. Druh Farrell voted against exploring an Olympics bid. To her mind, the two sports ventures are joined at the hip.

"How it's being discussed is CalgaryNext is associated with the Olympic bid, so I think we're past that point of saying it's not linked," said Farrell. "They clearly are linked."

Whether one believes CalgaryNext will cost $1.8 billion as the city estimates or $1.3 billion as CSEC believes, such a project will undoubtedly bring Calgary's sports facilities into the 21st century.

While a study is expected at city council in the new year on what's known as Plan B (possibly building a new arena at Stampede Park and renovating McMahon Stadium), the drawings for CSEC's Plan A can be tantalizing for some.

It's just that currently, there's not enough money to actually build it.

Ever since I heard the fieldhouse was going to be an entirely indoor facility, it seemed clear that it was part of a Winter Olympic bid. 

What always gets me about these discussions is the way old facilities are talked about. McMahon is old, but if it is structurally sound and to code, I don't see the problem with extending it's life. I was there this summer, it didn't even look bad once you're inside. 

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Before and after, sort of

34tc3gj.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in this, but FWIW ...

The rectangular shaped building immediately in front of the Mosaic sign on the new stadium is the Regina Fieldhouse and just to its right (north) the sort-of-trapezoidal building is the Lawson Aquatic Centre which has an Olympic sized swimming pool with diving platforms amongst other things. The orange roofed buildings behind (west) of New Mosaic contains the Brandt Centre (Pats Hockey Arena) and Queensbury Convention Centre. Immediately to the right (north) of the orange roofed buildings, the light grey rectangular building, is our full-field indoor soccer facility which is the site of many of the mighty mighty Oskana FC's excruciating losses to younger, faster, and better conditioned opposition.

BMO Field's grass whisperer silences skeptics
Home of Grey Cup and Toronto FC faces huge test with big games three days apart.
Laura Armstrong thestar.com Nov. 26, 2016

When Toronto FC kicked off its season back in March, there was as much talk about BMO Field’s grass as there was about the team that would play on it.

With the Toronto Argonauts moving in from the Rogers Centre — a move heavily criticized by Reds fans — all eyes were on head groundskeeper Robert Heggie, who vowed the new football tenants wouldn’t muck up the field for soccer.

Nine months later, the pitch is pristine and many of the doubters have been silenced. But the work is far from done.

After Sunday night’s Grey Cup game between the Ottawa Redblacks and Calgary Stampeders at BMO, Heggie’s crew has just three days to repair and convert the field for Wednesday night’s deciding leg of the MLS Eastern Conference final between Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact.

“I think if we can pull this off . . . that might shut up the rest of the naysayers,” he told the Star.

To pull off the speedy conversion ― in one of the most demanding time frames of the season ― they plan to dig in around the clock, doing roughly six days worth of work in half the time.

That includes scrubbing away the Supaturf, an Australian brand of removable paint used to draw the gridiron, as well as adding green sand as top dressing and green pigment with sprayers.

Luckily, the field has not been played on since TFC’s last home game on Oct. 30. Three games in that week took a toll on the pitch, but the lengthy break means the grass is as full and healthy as it’s been all season, even with cooler temperatures.

“It’s next to perfect. It’s as good as it’s been since before the first Argos game, I’d say right now,” Heggie said Wednesday.

Heggie had a backup plan in place this season, using turf that grows in the Hamilton area, but has never needed it.

“If there was CFL playoffs here and other things happening and the timeline was a little tighter, something might have happened,” he said.

The grass will need to be replaced before next season, though, after the NHL descends for the outdoor Centennial Classic between the Maple Leafs and Red Wings on Jan. 1.

How do you plant a new field in Toronto in February? Stadium general manager Peter Church said Heggie and his team have been working on solving that problem for about a year.

Their solution: a $500,000 cover, bought in Europe, that will be placed over the field like a heated bubble. Heggie’s crew can then re-sod and grow the grass no matter how bad the weather gets.

Church estimates Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has spent more than $7 million in total on grow lights, Supaturf, the cover and tools for maintaining the pitch. That’s money well spent, he adds.

“It really turned BMO Field into a world-class facility when it comes to ground technology.”

Heggie has said in the past that he asks star players Michael Bradley and Sebastian Giovinco for input about the field’s condition and there have been no complaints.

Unlike in Montreal on Tuesday, where the first leg of the series was delayed by more than 40 minutes because Olympic Stadium’s 18-yard boxes were painted too narrow, Heggie doesn’t expect any hiccups in the finale. He plans to follow a simple motto to make sure: “Measure twice, paint once is the rule of thumb.”

Tks to tovan at skyscraperpage for headsup

Spectator Hub - Proposed Stadium Options

Five options are being considered for renovation or relocation of Thunderbird Stadium (UBC).

Overview

Thunderbird Stadium, an open-air stadium located at the southwest corner of campus, is almost 50 years old. A 2009 building condition assessment found that building systems need to be updated and a 2012 seismic study showed that structural upgrades are required to bring the building up to code. Functionally, the building has a number of limitations, including seating with poor sight lines from certain angles and inadequate dressing rooms that are not directly connected to the field-of-play. Another limitation of the existing stadium is that it is separated from Thunderbird Park, other athletics facilities and parkades.

After considering a number of possibilities, five options are being considered for renovation or relocating the stadium:

- Keep Thunderbird Stadium in its current location (either basic or full renovation)
- A new Thunderbird Stadium on adjacent Whit Matthews Field
- A new Thunderbird Stadium to the Rashpal Dhillon Track & Field Oval (relocating the Oval on Whit Matthews Field)
- A new Thunderbird Stadium on the current Osborne Centre and Tennis Bubble sites
- A new Thunderbird Stadium to adjacent Whit Matthews Field and locating the Athletics Centre of Excellence on the existing Tennis Bubble.

The analysis of options that follow include consideration of a number of factors, including access and circuation, traffic impacts, and noise (for both game and concert events). Diagrams showing this are provided for each option.

Noise Analysis

The benchmarks used for noise analysis of the options are based on international industry best practice and are consistent with projects of a similar size to Thunderbird Stadium (concerts of same size and sporting events).

An initial analysis of noise levels was undertaken for all stadium options to understand the relative impacts of each option. The analysis assessed two event types – sporting events (up to 10 full 5,000 seat capacity events per year) and concerts (up to 3 events per year), both occurring between 9 AM and 11 PM.

Noise level assumptions were based on:

For concerts, a typical subwoofer and loudspeaker array would be on each side of the stage, to achieve a level of 97 dB 30 metres away from the speakers.

For sporting events, crowd noise levels were based on cheering and intermittent music/announcement noice measured at a BC Lions football game at BC Place, and adjusted to represent a crowd of 5,000 spectators for Thunderbird Stadium.

Analysis of noise from day-day operations of the future stadium (no matter which option) will be undertaken during detailed design. This has not yet been modelled as none of the stadium options have been approved or designed.

Heritage Significance of Thunderbird Stadium

Thunderbird Stadium was built in 1967, and features a unique, signature cable-stayed roof that cantilevers over a 3,500 seat grandstand. Identified as a Heritage Resource under Policy 43 in the Vancouver Campus Plan, it has cultural value to the campus and community. Retention of this value is an important consideration in this process. Find out more about Thunderbird Stadium in the attached Heritage Statement of Significance.