Joe MacCarthy

New Canadian stadiums

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Begs the question of who they think is actually going to use the soccer lines in that format? If they were serious about soccer, it would be a fieldturf type field with no permanent markings. If they are not serious about soccer, why even bother?

They are going to use the new stadium for soccer in the same way as the old stadium. It is going to serve as one of many artificial turf fields that the City of Regina operates and will see a regular dose of community, club, and adult league games. Currently the CFL and soccer lines are stitched into the current Taylor Field turf and what they've installed is virtually a carbon copy (but with a newer style of turf of course). 

To say I was disappointed with the decision to permanently stitch in the lines would be an understatement, especially in light of the many new fields in other places that have gone with blank slate/removable paint. I guess they are serious enough about community use to have soccer lines where the CFL lines don't matter as much, but not terribly serious otherwise. 

8 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

And as stupid as that is, it looks like they're putting in soccer lines too, a la 1990's.  If it was dumb to permanently mark football lines so they could have a football only experience, it is even dumber to mar that with soccer lines over that. And that will be made even worse by a ton of ads on the field.

Whatever local figure who made that decision should cut his mullet and turn his hat forward and get with the times.

I think I've mentioned some of this earlier in the thread, so apologies if I'm repeating myself. 

First off, it was a huge disappointment to many in the Regina soccer community (including me) that they decided to go this route. However, having talked at length about the decision with the gentleman whose responsibility it was to make the decision, I wouldn't necessarily call it stupid or ill-informed. From what he said, they simply prioritized different things. 

The manager of stadium development was quite conversant in the situations in other communities in Canada and the US in shared facilities. He was aware of the needs of pro-soccer teams, the CSA for using the field, and FIFA. They decided to go with this setup due to the cost savings for not having to maintain and change the paint job. They believed that the likelihood of a CSA event being in Regina in the next several years was low and therefore they may as well avoid those costs over the life of this turf. With the soccer lines also stitched in, the community use of the field would continue without a problem (although it is quite a mess of lines). 

I think it would have been much bolder to go the other route and think big. Approach the CSA or try to attract pro-teams to come and play. It wouldn't take many of these events to make the extra cost worth it. But then, that's my bias too ... I want to see soccer in that stadium and to me that's the highest priority. 

Edited by rob.notenboom

On 9/5/2016 at 3:57 PM, shermanator said:

A photo of the new stadium in Kingston. Could be a nice spot for a CPL team one day?

CrHexPMXYAAdVNx.jpg

As a Queen's alum...what in the hell. No idea they were doing this, might have to take a look at homecoming

A few more shots of Kingston's new stadium at their home opener today. Assuming the football lines can be painted over, this looks like a perfect spot for a CPL club. The horseshoe configuration lends itself to both football and soccer configurations without forcing goal line supporters to be 15 yards back.

CskoABBVYAAM3z1.jpg

CskniQJWIAA7Mdn.jpg

CsfbUZhWYAAiXz8.jpg

Edited by shermanator

On 9/8/2016 at 1:15 AM, Complete Homer said:

As a Queen's alum...what in the hell. No idea they were doing this, might have to take a look at homecoming

It has potential, and certainly looks like it has room to expand. So far as the lines can be scrubbed and the turf is of high enough quality, it could work.

The concern I would raise is from my understanding a good chunk of the cash came from some former CFL alumni Stuart Lang (and current CIS coach for the Guelph Gryphons) clearly made the investment to improve the Football program, less the soccer program, so it might be hard to say about the stadium's availability.

Stadiums like Richardson Stadium, Stade Telus, TD Stadium and to a lesser extent Griffiths Stadium are what the CPL will need to work with if they ever want to expand outside of the "CFL cities". Unless, of course, if clubs decide to build their own soccer specific stadiums.

I know people rag on gridiron football a lot on this board, but that sport is what is getting actual stadiums built in this country.

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

I know people rag on gridiron football a lot on this board, but that sport is what is getting actual stadiums built in this country.

Hence the whole "raison d'etre" of this thread

6 hours ago, shermanator said:

Stadiums like Richardson Stadium, Stade Telus, TD Stadium and to a lesser extent Griffiths Stadium are what the CPL will need to work with if they ever want to expand outside of the "CFL cities". Unless, of course, if clubs decide to build their own soccer specific stadiums.

At this stage, it is completely acceptable. MLS did see the real drive for soccer specific stadiums until post-TFC (there were a couple but it was hardly a focus), 13 years after the league started, and their football stadiums are much more cavernous and ill-suited for soccer than CFL stadiums.

I do hope the teams that pick up CPL teams adopt a method of adding and taking lines away (I suppose it depends on their current turf), but whatever is available is whatever will work for the first decade of life.

8 hours ago, -Hammer- said:

It has potential, and certainly looks like it has room to expand. So far as the lines can be scrubbed and the turf is of high enough quality, it could work.

I don't think you'll be seeing any of that at university venues

1 minute ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I don't think you'll be seeing any of that at university venues

Money talks, and realisitcally scrubing the lines and a coat of paint is not that much money from my understanding.

It's having the staff and being trained to do it.  Besides, I'd say most universities are permanent lines and they're not going to bother to paint them green.  Then you'd see a soccer field with green lines instead of white because they can't match the shades of green. 

The paint isn't much money, it's the time and labour involved.  Can't see it.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Really a great looking stadium. Can not wait to see the first CFL game (on tv) there,and hopefully soccer there too one day soon.

Unless they can cover the gridiron lines effectively, watching soccer on this pitch will be a total sh*tshow and a horrible image for a supposed "top" league.

3 minutes ago, ted said:

Unless they can cover the gridiron lines effectively, watching soccer on this pitch will be a total sh*tshow and a horrible image for a supposed "top" league.

Agree 100%.

12 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Really a great looking stadium. Can not wait to see the first CFL game (on tv) there,and hopefully soccer there too one day soon.

On Saturday, October 1, the University of Regina Rams will host the University of Saskatchewan Huskies ( 2:00 p.m. SK ).

The Huskies and Rams will be the first squads to take the field of the new $278 million facility, where a new Canada West attendance record is expected to be set, with 16,500 seats available for the much anticipated opening of the new venue.

In addition to viewing the conference's 11 regular season televised games on Shaw TV and Access, the games can also be seen live on Canadawest.tv – the conference's official streaming site. All non-televised games are also available on Canadawest.tv with football viewing passes on sale beginning August 22 and early bird pricing for both multi- and single-sport passes available until September 9.

The Panda Game (Carleton vs Ottawa) will be the same day (1 pm EST) at TD Place on City-TV