Joe MacCarthy

New Canadian stadiums

59 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

It's not beyond comprehension. It just means in some areas they've done their homework, in others not so much. 

I can understand the possibility of inlaid lines to save money but to say companies like HKS (stadium builders supreme) and PCL haven't considered this and done their homework, sorry, can't buy that one.

And can't see why they would bother painting green lines over white inlaid lines, doesn't make sense economically or logically.

I'm not doubting your word but this would be a gross error in judgment unless it is being undertaken by the local people controlling the stadium and not the builders/consultants.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I can understand the possibility of inlaid lines to save money but to say companies like HKS (stadium builders supreme) and PCL haven't considered this and done their homework, sorry, can't buy that one.

And can't see why they would bother painting green lines over white inlaid lines, doesn't make sense economically or logically.

I'm not doubting your word but this would be a gross error in judgment unless it is being undertaken by the local people controlling the stadium and not the builders/consultants.

I agree that this decision doesn't make much sense, even if you are not a soccer person.  Why not have the option to have other events on the field (rugby, lacrosse) instead of closing off the possibility?

My guess of what might be happening is this: the builders consider it a football stadium with the Roughriders as the primary tenant.  The current turf has football lines sewn in (as does McMahon in Calgary) so why mess with the formula?

To look into the big picture: if the Roughriders are truly planning a pro soccer club, why would they not be in favour of a soccer friendly setup?  I can think of two bad options: 1) there is no soccer team in the works or 2) they don't view permanent gridiron lines to be a big deal for a soccer club.

The Roughriders are putting millions into the stadium (a small percentage overall) so I suspect they would have major sway in what happens.

Jason

2 hours ago, Jason said:

The Roughriders are putting millions into the stadium (a small percentage overall) so I suspect they would have major sway in what happens.

This is the only way I can see permanent markings happening and I don't think the Riders are that shortsighted unless they want to keep other sports out.  Does that remind us of anything?

On May 9, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

This is the only way I can see permanent markings happening and I don't think the Riders are that shortsighted unless they want to keep other sports out.  Does that remind us of anything?

There will be a story on this coming out on the11.ca a little later tonight. I'll post the link when it's up. 

Here you go folks ... confirmation about the sewn in lines & logo. Sadly the decisions on dimensions and turf make/model were made to be FIFA compliant but with the sewn in lines, the chances of the CSA staging a game there are incredibly small. Doesn't preclude a CPL team from playing there though. 

Yeah, I just saw that link at another site.  It's almost like the two sides aren't getting what each other is saying.  This comes after reading a post about a rumoured Regina franchise in the CPL to be run by outside (Regina) investors.

I can't understand why they would do this and include soccer lines.  If they want a true football palace and have football lines that won't fade (to look good) why bother with soccer lines.  It's like a 90's surface in a state of the art stadium.

It almost reads as though there's something unknown but you would think the source is a good one.  Also I thought the test event was supposed to be a U of S vs U of R football game.

If this is true and again it seems like it, it is a bad idea.  As much as I am a proponent of artificial turf as an equal playing surface, I wouldn't want to see our NT play a game on a surface with painted over green lines.  And I don't think that is something we will see, a real opportunity lost.

31 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yeah, I just saw that link at another site.  It's almost like the two sides aren't getting what each other is saying.  This comes after reading a post about a rumoured Regina franchise in the CPL to be run by outside (Regina) investors.

I can't understand why they would do this and include soccer lines.  If they want a true football palace and have football lines that won't fade (to look good) why bother with soccer lines.  It's like a 90's surface in a state of the art stadium.

It almost reads as though there's something unknown but you would think the source is a good one.  Also I thought the test event was supposed to be a U of S vs U of R football game.

If this is true and again it seems like it, it is a bad idea.  As much as I am a proponent of artificial turf as an equal playing surface, I wouldn't want to see our NT play a game on a surface with painted over green lines.  And I don't think that is something we will see, a real opportunity lost.

The source is Rod Schmidt the Director of Stadium Development so I don't think the source could get much more legit. 

I had a long conversation with him on Thursday evening, and to his credit he was very candid and forthcoming. His main point to me was that the extra difficulty and expense of painting and maintaining the lines on the turf was not outweighed by the possibility of an international level match or tournament. To me he sounded like he felt he was speaking from a base of understanding and doing the right thing under the circumstances. But he is clearly misinformed about what potential a soccer game or two has. 

To me it was an unfortunate, but understandable, lack of 'coming to grips' with the potential of soccer in that facility. 

PS - What did you read about outside investors and the CPL?

Edited by rob.notenboom

7 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

PS - What did you read about outside investors and the CPL?

Not much to go on really...

"Vancouver soccer broadcaster Simon Fudge - a Luther College graduate from Regina - dropped a bomb on the SportsCage on Friday that Regina could be awarded a professional soccer team in the fledgling Canadian Premier League.  A business plan for a Canadian-only pro soccer league is being drafted and its financial backers include many Canadian NHL and CFL owners.  Fudge called this rumour "educated speculation" and that the Regina team's investors come from outside the province.

This story has been on my radar for quite some time, ever since former Mayor Pat Fiacco informed me he'd like to land a NASL franchise for the Queen City to play in the new stadium.

This is a story which will be worth watching in the months ahead"

As for the lines, I get where the guy comes from re the expense and I figured that is what it would come down to but it's still unfortunate.  They are weighing the expense of a rare big time soccer game vs constantly having to paint lines and it doesn't balance out.  I can understand that, but they must be thinking that any CPL club (not the NT) will play on that and that we don't know.

3 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Not much to go on really...

"Vancouver soccer broadcaster Simon Fudge - a Luther College graduate from Regina - dropped a bomb on the SportsCage on Friday that Regina could be awarded a professional soccer team in the fledgling Canadian Premier League.  A business plan for a Canadian-only pro soccer league is being drafted and its financial backers include many Canadian NHL and CFL owners.  Fudge called this rumour "educated speculation" and that the Regina team's investors come from outside the province.

This story has been on my radar for quite some time, ever since former Mayor Pat Fiacco informed me he'd like to land a NASL franchise for the Queen City to play in the new stadium.

This is a story which will be worth watching in the months ahead"

As for the lines, I get where the guy comes from re the expense and I figured that is what it would come down to but it's still unfortunate.  They are weighing the expense of a rare big time soccer game vs constantly having to paint lines and it doesn't balance out.  I can understand that, but they must be thinking that any CPL club (not the NT) will play on that and that we don't know.

Ah right. I listened to Simon on SportsCage too. 

And I agree both with what they are comparing and that they probably believe a soccer team would just play on the field as is. In a twist of irony, soccer lines are being stitched into the field also. 

15 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Here you go folks ... confirmation about the sewn in lines & logo. Sadly the decisions on dimensions and turf make/model were made to be FIFA compliant but with the sewn in lines, the chances of the CSA staging a game there are incredibly small. Doesn't preclude a CPL team from playing there though. 

And with advanced technology, this shouldn't be an issue with this Canadian turf company. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CDO43RoMkyA?

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Well in the end it's a stadium being built for the CFL team, so I can understand where they are coming from, moreover, it's not like soccer is on their minds , soccer as a spectator sport probably does even cross anyone's mind in that part of the country , I would imagine CFL football, hockey and baseball is what people think about when it comes to sports, so your building a stadium there it makes sense that they are not thinking soccer and just as an after thought assume that if someone wanted to play a game or two there they could if they wanted. Look it was built for the CFL team . There are plenty of other stadiums where soccer can be played in Canada without football lines, so after thinking about this again I don't think it's a big deal after all, it's a nice looking stadium though , and one of the better ones in the CFL along with Winnipeg's new one, and at least Winnipeg's does not have the permanent lines so that's good.

18 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

...confirmation about the sewn in lines & logo... Doesn't preclude a CPL team from playing there though.

Actually as far as I am concerned it does. No faster way to make a TV broadcast look ridiculous and the league to be a bush league than to show a game played on pitch with permanent hand-egg lines.

2 hours ago, ted said:

Actually as far as I am concerned it does. No faster way to make a TV broadcast look ridiculous and the league to be a bush league than to show a game played on pitch with permanent hand-egg lines.

I agree that it looks bad and I certainly don't want it to be the case that we have a CanPL team in Regina playing on a field with CFL lines. I just wonder if, in the interest of getting the league going, they might overlook the lines. 

I would imagine that if a Regina team entered a new Canadian League they would not play in a stadium with football lines, I'm sure a solution would have to be found before a team in Regina would enter the league. This is 2016 the days of playing in stadiums with football I hope are over, because if we are going to start a league and have teams play in a stadium with football lines then it's going to be an even harder sell than it already will be.

Edited by 1996

23 hours ago, 1996 said:

Well in the end it's a stadium being built for the CFL team, so I can understand where they are coming from, moreover, it's not like soccer is on their minds , soccer as a spectator sport probably does even cross anyone's mind in that part of the country , I would imagine CFL football, hockey and baseball is what people think about when it comes to sports, so your building a stadium there it makes sense that they are not thinking soccer and just as an after thought assume that if someone wanted to play a game or two there they could if they wanted. Look it was built for the CFL team . There are plenty of other stadiums where soccer can be played in Canada without football lines, so after thinking about this again I don't think it's a big deal after all, it's a nice looking stadium though , and one of the better ones in the CFL along with Winnipeg's new one, and at least Winnipeg's does not have the permanent lines so that's good.

Good to see you have maintained consistency with your BMO sharing opinion and are not being hypocritical about this.  Although i don't agree, I applaud you for that!.  Now I have to do the same and be consistent with what I have previously stated as well.

I understand why they are doing this but I still don't like the decision and think it is the wrong one.  In a business sense it is right for them but just to close off some other options which I think would come more often if the option was actually available is not good.  But money talks...

I don't think soccer is as parochial to Saskatchewan as you may think.  One of the good young minds on the scene, OSA Director of Business Operations Bjorn Osieck (son of guess who, not the Guess Who) cut his teeth as the majordomo of the Saskatchewan Soccer Association.

Old Mosaic hosted a kickoff to the 'farewell season' for the old stadium this weekend and my kids were performing on stage so we went, sat on the old artificial turf and watched the show. It gave me the opportunity to poke and prod at the lines a bit, and I'm pretty sure they are sewn in. Interestingly, I've never noticed this before even though I've played on Taylor Field dozens of times. The seams are so incredibly tight that I really couldn't get between them, so that is a good sign, especially for the health of anyone who plays on that field. As they mentioned they are doing with the new stadium turf, the soccer lines are also sewn into the current Taylor Field turf, so perhaps one other thing influencing their decision was simply to go with the status quo. 

I wonder if these lines could be painted over so that they would be invisible, and I wonder if it is allowed in the stadium sponsorship contract to paint over the Mosaic logo at midfield. If you could do both, you could still host a soccer game at new Mosaic. It would simply be necessary to show the CSA that the field would look perfectly soccer-specific and that the seams would not endanger the players. A stretch, but perhaps it would still be doable.

Matching green paint with the multiple shades of green of the artificial turf (so it looks realistic) is next to impossible.  Would look like hell.  Somebody posted a picture somewhere and even I as an AT advocate would not want to see it.

On May 17, 2016 at 2:11 PM, rob.notenboom said:

I agree that it looks bad and I certainly don't want it to be the case that we have a CanPL team in Regina playing on a field with CFL lines. I just wonder if, in the interest of getting the league going, they might overlook the lines. 

Would it be extremely difficult to put another turf over this one or remove the current turf for soccer specific turf? If it isn't, the turf should be something these outside investors just plain and simply invest in to get this team up and running. Have the CFL team play on its turf and the soccer team play on its own. Or are the logistics of constantly removing and laying down different types of artificial turf a nightmare to deal with?

Edited by Macksam

37 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Would it be extremely difficult to put another turf over this one or remove the current turf for soccer specific turf? If it isn't, the turf should be something these outside investors just plain and simply invest in to get this team up and running. Have the CFL team play on its turf and the soccer team play on its own. Or are the logistics of constantly removing and laying down different types of artificial turf a nightmare to deal with?

When I talked to the director of stadium development he said it is certainly possible. The cost for a new turf would be around 1.2mil according to him.