Sign in to follow this  
youllneverwalkalone

Which Clubs Do You Support?

^Because all of you plastic Mancs have completely stopped chanting 'murderers' at Liverpool supporters in reference to Heysel and Hillsborough, right? Personally, I don't have much time for that **** from either side, but since you brought it up, how does that charming little number regularly sung at Old Trafford go? I'll give you a little hint, it's in response to a Kop chant to the tune of 'Sloop John B' and it refers to how many European Cups Manchester United have won. If you want to label all of a club's supporters based on the worst among them, you must be so full of self-loathing due to all your mates on the Stretford End. Scum, indeed.

Okay this isn't the right thread for this, so this will be the last thing I'll say on this.

I don't condone the murders chant or the "without killing anyone" song. People who sing those songs are just as stupid as the ones singing "who's that lying on the runway".

The thing that really pisses me off about the City and Scouse supporters who sing Munich songs is the insistent need to bring it up tragedies. Two wrongs don't make a right, but the United songs were in response to years of Munich songs, and at games they are usually song in response to a Munich song.

I know saying they started it doesn't give United supporters any right to sing songs mocking people's deaths, but singing about tragedies was something that started with anti - United songs. Hence City, and the scousers.

I do agree with you on the fact that every club has songs in poor taste (if you want to hear the worst listen to Everton's directed towards Hillsbrough) and you shouldn't judge a club soley on that.

Club you supported as a kid: I didn't have one. Living in the prairies with no satellite means that you are pretty much forced to watch hockey..

Domestic club you support now: Toronto FC

Foreign club(s) you support now: Rangers FC, Fulham FC.

Favourite lower league club: Any team that employs a Canadian.

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Arsenal --> Big fan of Arsene Wenger.

Club you supported as a kid: Ipswich Town (though I also liked Sheffield Wednesday for awhile as well). And the Whitecaps in the NASL and Hamilton Steelers in the CSL.

Domestic club you support now: All three really and when they play each other I often end up backing the underdog (though I think by 2011 I'll end up putting my allegiances fully behind Vancouver). Definitely back TFC in MLS right now though.

Foreign club(s) you support now: Ipswich Town, St. Etienne a little bit and I used to like to follow Valencia if they were in the CL. I used to support Kansas City in pre-TFC MLS.

Favourite lower league club: Besides IFTC? [B)] I usually latch onto a UK lower league side that has a Canadian I like.

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: In the World Cup I always cheer for the CONCACAF teams. And yes that includes the U.S.

Club you supported as a kid: Winnipeg Fury (in my,ahem, 20s)

FC Cologne/Borussia Moechengladbach (watched them on Soccer Made in Germany, as a kid)

Domestic clubs you support now: Montreal Impact, Toronto FC,

Vancouver Whitecaps

Foreign clubs you support now: Deportivo la Coruna, Borussia Moechengladbach, Wolfsburg

Favourite lower league clubs: Thunder Bay Chill, Torquay United ;)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest friends and anyone reading this: cheer for Australia and Germany

Club you supported as a kid: Olympiakos

Foreign club(s) you support now: Asteras Tripolis, 1st division team in Greece that play in the city my family is from. And there's also Newcastle Utd...

Favourite lower league club: Any German clubs with Canadians in any given year. And starting next year, Newcastle Utd...

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Although I never do it during qualifying, I tend to cheer FOR the Americans during the World Cups.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Club you supported as a kid: Winnipeg Fury (in my,ahem, 20s)

FC Cologne/Borussia Moechengladbach (watched them on Soccer Made in Germany, as a kid)

Foreign clubs you support now: Deportivo la Coruna, Borussia Moechengladbach, Wolfsburg

Supporting both FC Cologne and Borussia Moechengladbach ist verboten (forbidden) though I see you have now decided correctly.

New categories:

Teams you hate (in order of hatedness): Lokomotiv Leipzig (yes there is one team I hate more than the next one on the list), Toronto FC, Rot Weiss Essen, Halle FC, FC Koln, Bayern, Spartak Moscow, Rochester, Manchester United (Sorry Sam), Schalke, Hoffenheim, Unterhaching

National Teams you Support Other Than Canada: Russia, Scotland

Teams you hate in order of hatedness: There are three English teams with "bad words" in their names. 1. S****horpe 2. Arsenal 3. Manchester F**ing United, but I only hate the last one. Next most hated team: USA 3rd most hated team: Tie between Seattle and Kashima Antlers

National team you support other than Canada: Japan

Just saw this thread. I love it!

Club you supported as a kid: Heart of Midlothian FC

Foreign club(s) you support now: still Hearts, Charlton Athletic (was a season ticket holder when I lived in London), Valerenga IF

Favourite lower league club: St. Johnstone, Carlisle United (although not when Charlton wind up in the same division next year)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: regularly watching Icelandic 1st division highlights on the internet

Teams you hate (in order of hatedness): Rangers and Celtic (equally), Millwall, Manchester United (especially the last 10 years), Bayern Munich, Chelsea

National Teams you Support Other Than Canada: Scotland, Norway (weird cause they are in the same WC qualifying group but Scotland first), New Zealand (I support them in cricket)

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Supporting both FC Cologne and Borussia Moechengladbach ist verboten (forbidden) though I see you have now decided correctly.

I knew you'd likely notice! ;) When I was a kid, every Sunday on

PBS would show "Soccer Made in Germany", right after Monty Python.

The featured teams were usually Cologne, Bayern, Gladbach, and

Hamburg, as DDR teams weren't included. The show was even sponsored

by the Manitoba Soccer Association, despite being a US station.

I supported both Hannover and Bremen when both had Canadians,

but now I kinda chose Gladbach and Wolfsburg (VW fascination).

I guess you're not a fan of Big Kev and FCK ... ;)

New Category entries:

Clubs I (sorta) hate(d): Real Madrid, Joe Public, LA Galaxy

National teams I would support other than Canada:

Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Argentina

Club you supported as a kid: Vancouver Whitecaps (later 86ers), Liverpool

Domestic club you support now: Melbourne Victory (or Whitecaps, depending on your idea of local)

Foreign club(s) you support now: Liverpool, Ajax (sort of), Gamba Osaka, Cerezo Osaka

Favourite lower league club: Brighton and Hove Albion (not so much for myself, but in deference for a really good mate who's from there)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: one of the happiest days of every two year cycle for me is the day that Italy gets eliminated from a major tournament (an unfortunate byproduct of growing up in North Burnaby/East Van--Paolo Rossi inspired a whole generation of obnoxious twats)

Teams you hate (in order of hatedness): Manchester United, Chelsea, Inter, Lazio

National teams you support (other than Canada): Japan, India, whoever features the most Liverpool players (currently Spain, obviously).

Teams you hate (in order of hatedness): Liverpool, Manchester City

National Teams you Support Other Than Canada: England

Teams you hate (in order of hatedness): Celtic FC, Manchester United, Portugal, Montreal Impact, Chelsea.

National teams you support (other than Canada): Sweden, Scotland, Japan, New Zealand.

Club you supported as a kid: Northampton Town Football Club

Domestic club you support now: Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal

Foreign club(s) you support now: As Above

Favourite lower league club: Kettering Town

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Rushden And Diamonds. MK Dons (Only followng due to Gerba)

Guest Ed

Club you supported as a kid: Chicago Blackhawks, Ottawa Roughriders.

Domestic club you support now: Vancouver Whitecaps

Foreign club(s) you support now: Any German club employing Canadians.

Favourite lower league club: Vancouver Residency, Calgary Soutwest United.

Guilty pleasure(s) you'd only admit to your closest internet friends:

Always cheer for Concacaf clubs in the WC. Have enjoyed almost 50 years of UK-less WC finals much to the chagrin of many of my close friends.

Club you supported as a kid: AC Milan (Serie A)

Domestic club you support now: Whitecaps FC (USL Div 1)

Foreign club(s) you support now: Newcastle United (EPL... for now)

Favourite lower league club: Hibernian FC (SPL)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Montreal Impact (USL Div 1)

Most Hated Club(s): Toronto FC, Manchester United, Hearts, Inter Milan, Liverpool

National Team(s) other than Canada: Italy, South Korea

Club you supported as a kid: Mancity, and I suppose you can say Montreal

Domestic club you support now: Montreal

Foreign club(s) you support now: Man City-ish. I'm all domestic now.

Favourite lower league club: Montreal

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: I enjoy eating chocolate mints, but not chocolate.

SthMelbRed: Gamba AND Cerezo? However, I loved your every two years comment as well as the bit about Rossi. Priceless.

RJB: Lower league club: Hibs? I suppose a lot of English people would consider the Scottish Premier to be lower league, but I didn't think anyone who supports a Scottish team would think so.

Trident: Chocolate mints but not chocolate? Have you tried Lindt's 76% dark chocolate? Try one small wafer. How do you feel about mint without chocolate?

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

RJB: Lower league club: Hibs? I suppose a lot of English people would consider the Scottish Premier to be lower league, but I didn't think anyone who supports a Scottish team would think so.

Point taken. I interpreted Lower League Club to mean one outside the traditional big leagues accross Europe.

Club you supported as a kid: Montreal Manic I got to two big games! One at the BigO and one at the old Forum! (indoor soccer)

Domestic club you support now: Montreal Impact

Foreign club(s) you support now: Manchester City ( I have followed them since I was a kid, but rarely get to see them play. )

Favourite lower league club: Montreal Impact / Alberni Oceanside

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: <s>Manchester United</s>

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

SthMelbRed: Gamba AND Cerezo? However, I loved your every two years comment as well as the bit about Rossi. Priceless.

I lived in Osaka for three years. Cerezo was my local club, as I lived Southeast of the city. That being said, Cerezo spent two of the three years I was there in J2. I leaned towards Gamba, as they were always in J1. I actually always hope for all the other Kansai teams to do well (Vissell and Purple Sanga). I went to see Gamba beat Melbourne Victory in the Asian CL last year and sat with the visiting supporters. It was great fun.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Point taken. I interpreted Lower League Club to mean one outside the traditional big leagues accross Europe.

Maybe because the Hibees play lower league-type football. Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

New questions:

Best kit (worn by a team you don't support): Celtic, especially before they had to wear numbers on their shirts.

Worst kit (even if it is a team you support): Coventry had some awful brown thing in the 80's I think. Man United's grey third (or 4th, 5th, so hard to tell with them) kit was quite laughable

Best ground you've been to: I really like Royal Athletic Park in Victoria, and there was a really cool little stadium in North Vancouver with pillars. It could have been designed by Archibald Leich or whatever his name is.

Worst ground you've been to: Mizuho Stadium in Nagoya, Japan, one of Grampus's stadia. Grey, bleak, and row one is about three kilometres from the pitch.