Sign in to follow this  
youllneverwalkalone

Which Clubs Do You Support?

I was standing around with a few Vs talking about the clubs we've supported over the years and, also after reading Grizzly's latest essay on Leipzig football, I realize this question is likely a bit more complicated for most Vs than for other supporters from other nations.

For example, when I was a kid I supported Liverpool. To put that in perspective for the youngins, in the 80s that was kind of like supporting the Harlem Globetrotters. Except that Everton were also very good in their role as Washington Generals. Those derbies were some of the only club football I remember seeing on TV in those days.

When I moved to England I started supporting Man City, who were in the second division at the time. The students and transcients who lived in Rusholme and Fallowfield and the few unfortunate ones in Moss Side joined the locals in support of City or, at least, hatred of United. Those were good times, but now that City is playing with the big boys, times are likely changing.

I've also spent some time in Budapest's 9th district, which exposed me to Ferencvaros. They, like a mini Liverpool, were a dominant club while I was there in the 90s but, almost to counter balance Man City, have really fallen on some hard times recently which has renewed my interest.

And having grown up seeing the original Dons rise through the divisions, the lower league club I take the most interest in is AFC Wimbledon.

So, post a personal essay or just this format if you'd prefer:

Club you supported as a kid: Liverpool

Domestic club you support now: Whitecaps

Foreign club(s) you support now: Man City/Ferencvaros

Favourite lower league club: AFC Wimbledon

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Toronto FC

Club you supported as a kid: Man. United

Domestic club you support now: This is a tough one. Living in the middle of Montreal and Toronto its a little on the edge there. I also like to see Vancouver do well...so in the end I really don't know.

Foreign club(s) you support now: Man. United

Favourite lower league club: FC United of Manchester

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Depends who I'm talking to. I mean I bet I am one of the only if not the only person on this board to watch a game with both the U-Sector and the Montreal Ultras.

Club you supported as a kid: Ipswich Town

- As a result of Frank Yallop and Craig Forrest

Canadian club you support now: Montreal

- Since the Montreal/Toronto games played in Ottawa (1997, 1998 I think)

Favourite club: Hana Prostejov (7th division)

- My local club. Average home attendance... 20 [:I] Cheap beer though... :)

- I did follow Sigma Olomouc quite closely, but in all honesty I can't be bothered anymore.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: I enjoy reading Grizzly's essays!

Changed you post to reflect reality! :D

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Favourite club: Hana Prostejov (7th division)

- My local club. Average home attendance... 20 [:I] Cheap beer though... :)

- I did follow Sigma Olomouc quite closely, but in all honesty I can't be bothered anymore.

[:0]

No matter, Prizhbram are still a bunch of wankers. Hope you guys cream 'em in the Cup!

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Changed you post to reflect reality! :D

So then: Am I an idiot or not?

I always enjoy reading about lower league clubs, regardless of where they are located. One guilty pleasure I'll admit is posting/lurking on the FM Britain Llama Forum. This is for the hardcore FM players who play by the most stringent of codes. If anyone's interested, it's defintely worth reading about if you're at all a fan of the game.

One of the things I like about the current Southside is the knowledge/passion for lower league clubs -though mostly English ones to be fair. I remember Devon (B&W Army), who is a Hanwell Town supporter, being quite clearly jealous of an AFC Hornchurch kit that showed up last season.

Ps. Grizzly, fill out the form already or I'm going to photoshop you into a VFC Plauen kit holding an Evil Bert doll. ;)

Ps. Grizzly, fill out the form already or I'm going to photoshop you into a VFC Plauen kit holding an Evil Bert doll. ;)

Now that is a YNWA threat that scares me! :D

Club you supported as a kid: Borussia Dortmund(nearest big club to where I was born, now I am neutral towards them)

Domestic club you support now: Montreal

Foreign club(s) you support now: I am sure this is a big surprise: Sachsen (Chemie) Leipzig (should be 1st Bundesliga but currently in 4th and soon to be in 5th due to automatic bankruptcy demotion/#1064;#1080;#1085;#1085;#1080;#1082; #1071;#1088;#1086;#1089;#1083;#1072;#1074;#1083;#1100; (lets see if the forum cyrillic function is now working - Shinnik Yaroslavl relegated from Russian Premiership to 1st division soon to go the other direction!)

Favourite lower league club: Fu-ck see foreign clubs :(

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Chelsea, don't follow EPL that closely but my team there is Chelsea. A few years ago when we were losing but cool this wouldn't count as a guilty pleasure but since Roman took over we are winning but no longer cool.:(

^ I'm actually still waiting for Grizzly's essay on Evil Bert. Or did I miss something? :D

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

#1064;#1080;#1085;#1085;#1080;#1082; #1071;#1088;#1086;#1089;#1083;#1072;#1074;#1083;#1100; (lets see if the forum cyrillic function is now working)

I think that question has been answered! Speedmonk: where are you? Fix this very important issue!:D

Club you supported as a kid: Alianza Lima, the Peruvian club I inherited from my Dad. Can't really be bothered to follow the Peruvian league too closely anymore.

Domestic club you support now: TFC, naturally.

Foreign club(s) you support now: I used to be a big Barcelona fan, due to my sister getting me a Barca jersey from when she visited Europe when I was 12. I still support them when I watch champs league. Newcastle as well due to Nolberto Solano.

Favourite lower league club: whichever club has more than 1 canuck, used to be milwall, i guess thats yeovil now.

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: I always want Mtl and Van to do well (just not in the Vs cup).

Club you supported as a kid: None, really - mine wasn't a soccer household and what I knew of the foreign game cam third-hand.

Domestic club you support now: Widowed by the Edmonton Aviators. They could have been great if they'd had proper ownership, dammit!

Foreign club you support now: Charlton Athletic.

Favourite lower league club: Hey, I get to use the same answer twice!

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest Internet friends: I have, on occasion, said "thank god for Liverpool" and meant it.

Club you supported as a kid: Leeds United (although only through newpaper standings)

Domestic club you support now: Montreal Impact

Foreign club you support now: Leeds United. (due to Leeds situation now follow Newcastle and Tottenham casually)

Favourite lower league club: sigh....Leeds United

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest Internet friends: I actually reply to silly soccer forums

Club you supported as a kid: Whitecaps

Foreign club(s) you support now: Arsenal

Favourite lower league club: Aside from the Whitecaps?

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Sitting away from Supporters sections. Got nothing against singing and chanting, but standing amongst it detracts from my enjoyment of the game. Only stand with the Voyageurs because the Nats need the noise and the support.

Club you supported as a kid: Whitecaps, Nagoya Grampus 8

Foreign club you support now: Grampus and whoever's playing Kashima Antlers

Favourite lower league club: Until 2011 do Whitecaps count?

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest friends and anyone reading this: TFC and Montréal

Club you supported as a kid: Celtic

Domestic club you support now: Montreal

Foreign club(s) you support now: Celtic

Favourite lower league club: Bradford City & Leicester (Going nowhere fast by the way)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: There's more football on TV than ever but I'm watching far, far less of it. I blame the post WCQ blues and an extremely crazy year in the household.

Club I supported as a kid: Bury

Domestic club I support now: Montreal Impact

Foreign club(s) I support now: Liverpool

My favourite lower league clubs: Nottingham Forest / Leicester City / Bury

My guilty pleasure club: Toronto FC

Most Hated Club: Manchester United

Club you supported as a kid:

Sporting Clube de Portugal

Domestic club you support now:

Toronto FC (though I earned a lot of respect for the Montréal Impact)

Foreign club(s) you support now:

Sporting Clube de Portugal

Favourite lower league club:

Sporting de Covilha

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends:

I like to support Manchester United. I know it's like jumping on a bandwagon, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for Sir Alex Ferguson and the way they've maximized their youth program to develop such tremendous athletes is phenominal. They also get high marks for picking up former Sporting stars like Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani.

Club I supported as a kid: none really

Domestic club I support now: Vancouver Whitecaps

Foreign club(s) I support now: AZ Alkmaar

My favourite lower league clubs: Depends on where Canadian players are employed

My guilty pleasure club: Any EPL team playing against Manchester United

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Club I supported as a kid: Hamilton Steelers, Manchester United

Domestic club I support now: Toronto FC

Foreign club(s) I support now: Celtic, Manchester United

My favourite lower league clubs: I always check out the results of St. Catherines Roma Wolves

My guilty pleasure club: any club with great support, even when they're failing. So probably the guiltiest pleasure club would be Man City.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

Club I supported as a kid: Hamilton Steelers, Manchester United

Domestic club I support now: Toronto FC

Foreign club(s) I support now: Celtic, Manchester United

My favourite lower league clubs: I always check out the results of St. Catherines Roma Wolves

My guilty pleasure club: any club with great support, even when they're failing. So probably the guiltiest pleasure club would be Man City.

not a Man. United fan. Sorry but how can you possibly cheer for them??

Club you supported as a kid: Watford (if late teens counts). I only got into footie during the tail end of the 1998/99 EPL season, almost choosing to support Blackburn, but chose to support one of the newly-promoted clubs instead. Can't remember how it was Watford; probably something stupid like they had the best website at the time. The other promoted clubs were Sunderland and Bradford City. Had I known more about Vancouver football history back then, I definitely would have chosen Sunderland instead (as they masqueraded as the Vancouver Royal Canadians briefly during the late 1960s).

Domestic club you support now: Vancouver Whitecaps

Foreign club(s) you support now:

• Ulsan Mipo Dockyard (Korean second division)
  • Watford (If spending two minutes each week looking for their score counts. With the sport growing so well locally, I can't really be arsed anymore.)

Favourite lower league club: Hanwell Town (but see above)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest internet friends: Toronto FC and Montreal's Champions League run.

I remember Devon (B&W Army), who is a Hanwell Town supporter, being quite clearly jealous of an AFC Hornchurch kit that showed up last season.

I wouldn't say that I was jealous, as much as I was amazed to see a non-league kit from Essex find its way into the Southside. :D Him and I had a good chat about Hornchurch being "the Chelsea of non-league football" (I read the Non-League Paper twice a week for three years while in the UK), until the club was wound-up when the owner's double-glazing company went tits up for being so utterly crap. :D

Thanks, YNWA, you really know how to pull the geekiest of the V's out of the woodwork.

Club you supported as a kid: Whitecaps

Domestic club you support now: FC Ambivalent

Foreign club you support now: LDU (Liga of Quito, Ecuador - 2008 South American Champions and the first big club I ever supported in person)

Favourite lower league club: Kagoshima Volcan of the Kyushu League (4th tier Japan - utter crap and proud of it)

Guilty pleasure you'd only admit to your closest friends and anyone reading this: checking Canadian club results regularly, including evil TFC

^Man City supporters hate United. United supporters hate Liverpool. [:o)]

I hate Liverpool more than City but it still doesn't stop me from hating City. I couldn't cheer for any scum who still sing Munich songs