Sign in to follow this  
Reza

Voyageurs Revisited - Website and Financing

Website topics:

How many roles should we have on our website?

How do we pay for the server costs?

how should we host our web server?

How do we change these roles?

Where should our server be hosted?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Financing

How should the Voyageurs report their dollars?

Should we post a budget online?

Do we have to declare taxes as an org?

Currently as an org we make no money

Scarf initiative was done to pay for server costs and was done independently.

T-shirt initiative was done by an individual.

Do we become an NPO?

Sergio Teixeira (Edmonton, AB) wrote

at 5:32pm on December 9th, 2008

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to technology, so other than the server costs being paid for by the organization, I'll defer all other it-related issues to the experts.

For Finances though,

1) I never thought about it, but having the budget online is a good idea. Transperancy is good.

2) I don't know what the tax implications are, but we need to have $$$ in the bank. We need banners, we need to pay for the shipment of the banners, underwrite merchandise purchases (scarves, shirts, etc), plus wahtever else we decide to do in the future.

3) I dunno.

Brett Graham (University of Victoria) wrote

at 5:02pm on December 8th, 2008

I am also willing to help in any way I can. I can also do programming and coding; although, I am an application developer, not a web developer.

Daniel Squizzato (Toronto, ON) wrote

at 11:27am on December 8th, 2008

To piggyback somewhat on Ed's comment, I'm also willing to contribute in any way (well, except for coding/programming) to content creation for the main site. Send me a facebook message if I can be of assistance.

Ed Swain wrote

at 3:56pm on December 4th, 2008

Regarding the website (hardware aside), I am willing to step up to do content for the site in the new year. So James/Speedmonk, if you are looking for content pls email me via facebook. I have some ideas about player profiles, etc.

Reza Khalili wrote

at 7:29pm on December 3rd, 2008

Hi

For the next few days, I would like to ask for ideas for the latter 2 tabs, the Voyageurs website and the budgeting part.

To give you an idea, this the history of our site:

1996 -- 1998: ran on U of A servers -- myself and John Mark Mikhail used to manage the site

1998 -- 2003: ran on pair.com servers with the canadian-soccer.com domain name ... I used to pay for it and there was a few people who worked on it. There were some ads that we had which paid for parts of the cost

2003-- 2008: Jarrek ran and managed it and ran it on a server he owned, under canadian-soccer.com domain name and thevoyageurs.com later as well. He also did the initial design.

2008: Speedmonk (James McLeod) is in charge. He is in the process of revamping it. The link in which the excel file is in actually is on some server he owns.

The cost could be about $400-$600/yr these days, but it varies a bit and could be more depending on the traffic. The more painful part is maintaining it.

Reza Khalili wrote

at 7:37pm on December 3rd, 2008

Cont'd

Also, the other challenge is having a redundant server somewhere else and access to the codebase by multiple people, especially since we now have a database for our forum. This in my mind needs to be addressed in the long run.

As for financing stuff....This is not my forte at all. To this date, the Voyageurs venture has been a slight cost / a hobby for myself and most people I know that have been involved.

But in the future, if there is actual money involved, I am not sure what the best approach is.

----------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you are curious how Voyageurs site has looked since 1998, have a peak here..for some its a trip down memory lane:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.canadian-soccer.com

I can't find the university stuff anymore, which is too bad :-(

Note, please be courteous to others during these discussions. Please simply state your opinions for and against different viewpoints and refrain from namecalling and accusations.

Thanks

Guest speedmonk42

The website will consist of two parts as it does today.

1. Portal front end. This is being re done using Drupal.

2. The Forum. This is more complex, assuming of course people want to keep the data which I and I am sure others certainly do. I will most likely use SMF.

This will give us the following.

1. Easy development of content on the portal site.

2. Excellent role management so that those who want to contribute content to the portal can.

3. Central resource for contact management

4. Player & stats database

Forum

1. More advanced profiles with some interesting features like caps for fans(live games).

2. User galleries for V's related pictures

3. Direct media insertion into posts.

Speedmonk

One of the key items to consider is also redundancy of our website (multiple people should have access to the codebase) and ensuring that we have at least one major ISP which can support our system, in addition to the existing server.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Reza

Speedmonk

One of the key items to consider is also redundancy of our website (multiple people should have access to the codebase) and ensuring that we have at least one major ISP which can support our system, in addition to the existing server.

Since the Portal and the Forum will be open source the codebase will not involved anything custom, strange or inaccessible. While I have not used these features before, Dreamweaver has check in/check out and synchronization features so that multiple people can have up to date copies on their computers.

What do you mean by one major ISP supporting the system? Do you mean the ability to move to a new provider easily or have a back up in case one fails?

That's right.

I meant a web hosting company. In the past 12 years, we have gone through 3 transitions, not including the most recent one you are taking part in, so ensuring that there are host companies out there that would support our technology at an affordable price would be important and also, knowing who those companies are.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Reza

That's right.

I meant a web hosting company. In the past 12 years, we have gone through 3 transitions, not including the most recent one you are taking part in, so ensuring that there are host companies out there that would support our technology at an affordable price would be important and also, knowing who those companies are.

Thousands.

It will be based on LAMP. Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP. It will also run on a Windows server with AMP installed. It could be made to run on almost every single internet host there is. If they can't run it, you don't want them.

Both the portal and the forum have extensive backup tools and exporting options, they are not proprietary in any way. Information will not be held prisoner by any hosting company.

They keys to the house can be easily passed on to anyone.

That's great. As part of the process we will have to make sure the safety net is there.

Thanks for all the work btw. Can't wait to see the new and updated site.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

The new design is based solely on this

http://yvettesbridalformal.com/

That site is a classic of bad web design although it appears to be intentional (it seems to me that a wedding gown store would want to portray a professional image though, this seems more apropos to a weird restaurant or boutique). Check out their map to the store: http://yvettesbridalformal.com/vettemap1.html

Just to reiterate what I said on the facebook board (as cut and pasted by Reza above), I'm willing to help with content creation in any way necessary (including copy-editing/proofreading). Whoever's in charge, feel free to send me an email through this site (or on facebook).

Just a tought, a forum on cycling I go to actually has a good way of financing itself through the forum. You can be an ordinary member and you get a forum like the one we have here, meaning pretty basics, no signatures or avatar, or you can pay for a certain amount of money and be what they call a carbon member, then you can put an avatar and a signature, you also get a rebate if you buy any product they sell.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Just a tought, a forum on cycling I go to actually has a good way of financing itself through the forum. You can be an ordinary member and you get a forum like the one we have here, meaning pretty basics, no signatures or avatar, or you can pay for a certain amount of money and be what they call a carbon member, then you can put an avatar and a signature, you also get a rebate if you buy any product they sell.

On account of the software upgrades that would require, it might take more time to do than we'd get money from subscriptions.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

On account of the software upgrades that would require, it might take more time to do than we'd get money from subscriptions.

No not at all. The software is not really the problem at all. It is migrating the data from one to another.

I don't think we should create a two tier system of access with different features.

If people want to do donate they can, but anyone who joins gets to use all the features of the forum.

quote:What is involved in the db migration?

How different are the schemas?

What approach are you taking?

How far along are you?

It would be nice to get a status update.

Can we go live with either the updated site or new forum or are they coupled?

Are you still bogged down with migration? Do you need help?