Sign in to follow this  
nolando

WTF happ. to M.A.? (Possible offensive phrasing)

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Age debate aside - is calling a female a whore in any context not inappropriate? Especially on a public internet forum?

Well, we could start a very long list of words and actions that are much less appropriate but do indeed happen under certain circumstances. For example, murder might be somewhere near the top of the list, but society condones murder in many cases. Somewhere above the calling a woman a whore (which, by the way, would be completely contextually accurate for the many women who accept compensation, directly or indirectly, for sex) would be those who abandon their country of origin, in a sport which really needs them, in order to further their own personal ambition. Although, I tend to agree -and have posted on this matter- that Whoregreaves or LeWhore is somewhat uncreative, if not uncouth.

For me the point is that the moderators should moderate, and not censor. Cheeta can write a dissertation on the subject, but it doesn't change the fact that the mods do what they feel is right in the circumstances and justify it later. Shoot first, ask questions later. Obviously, based on your username, your experience as a parent and coach, Bettermirror, is going to fall on the side of conservatism which, I would argue, does not represent the views of the majority -which have clearly been expressed here.

Yobs can be oppressed too. Although I fully agree that moderating is a thankless job, with no really good choices in most instances. However, the mods can also post as themselves. If you feel calling her a whore is inappropriate, it might be wise to say so as yourself.

Guest Ed

My goodness Grizzly, you do go on. I posted the original thread titled 'New xxxxxx?' to point out that there was a Canadian who was by my defn much more of a traitor than the notorious one you mention. I never actually labelled the lady as a xxxxxx in any of my posts, in fact, I referred to her as 'the utility player' (as someone posted a chart to demonstrate how different the two cases were - Hargreaves - important WC player, LeRoux - utility player). The young lady proceeded to score winning goals en route to the US winning Gold and her getting the Golden Boot. A few people, MA among them, posted alternate insulting names. The thread was somewhat innocuous and not active until Coach Rich suggested I was a monster for posting it in the first place. If you are going to lynch anybody, pls go after Administrator Rich first. Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You are quite welcome to do whatever you want, call people whatever you want. I have no problem. But there is no logical argument to lead me to believe that calling OH that term is 'unanimously acceptable' whereas in the case of SL it is not.

Alright then, I guess the issue was poor phrasing on my part. I was trying to say that it seems everyone on the board finds the OH nickname acceptable. Clearly I was mistaken.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Well, we could start a very long list of words and actions that are much less appropriate but do indeed happen under certain circumstances. For example, murder might be somewhere near the top of the list, but society condones murder in many cases. Somewhere above the calling a woman a whore (which, by the way, would be completely contextually accurate for the many women who accept compensation, directly or indirectly, for sex) would be those who abandon their country of origin, in a sport which really needs them, in order to further their own personal ambition. Although, I tend to agree -and have posted on this matter- that Whoregreaves or LeWhore is somewhat uncreative, if not uncouth.

For me the point is that the moderators should moderate, and not censor. Cheeta can write a dissertation on the subject, but it doesn't change the fact that the mods do what they feel is right in the circumstances and justify it later. Shoot first, ask questions later. Obviously, based on your username, your experience as a parent and coach, Bettermirror, is going to fall on the side of conservatism which, I would argue, does not represent the views of the majority -which have clearly been expressed here.

Yobs can be oppressed too. Although I fully agree that moderating is a thankless job, with no really good choices in most instances. However, the mods can also post as themselves. If you feel calling her a whore is inappropriate, it might be wise to say so as yourself.

You'll never walk alone. If I was a bit more self-serving I might leave this comment alone but I should clarify....my board name has nothing to do with ego or trying to display the characteristics I want to see in others. My board name is a combination of Betterman and Rearviewmirror by Pearl Jam!!!

There is no way that it can be exceptable to call a male player a whore, and then turn around and say its inappropriate to use the same term for a woman player. Come on gender equality people. But what do I know, I call girls I know 'slags' all the time.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

My goodness Grizzly, you do go on. I posted the original thread titled 'New xxxxxx?' to point out that there was a Canadian who was by my defn much more of a traitor than the notorious one you mention. I never actually labelled the lady as a xxxxxx in any of my posts, in fact, I referred to her as 'the utility player' (as someone posted a chart to demonstrate how different the two cases were - Hargreaves - important WC player, LeRoux - utility player). The young lady proceeded to score winning goals en route to the US winning Gold and her getting the Golden Boot. A few people, MA among them, posted alternate insulting names. The thread was somewhat innocuous and not active until Coach Rich suggested I was a monster for posting it in the first place. If you are going to lynch anybody, pls go after Administrator Rich first. Cheers.

I didn't read the Coach Rich's post or the thread on the Women's forum so I can't comment on them. However, it is pretty hard to believe your claim of innocence posted above. You didn't post a thread on the topic of LeRoux playing for the US, you posted a topic about LeRoux playing for the US and how that compared to the Hargreaves situation and who was more deserving of being called a whore. You labelled the thread, "New Whore?". Previously in this thread you admitted your motivation, "Of course the whole history of Hargreaves' reactions on this board drove me to do the first post. So the PC sect got me on labelling the girl a bad name when of course they basically applaud calling Hargreaves the same thing. I just wanted to expose the lack of consistency."

My point on this is not to assign blame for what happened. I just think it is time to give a rest to your crusade against people calling Hargreaves a whore. It is divisive, noone on either side is going to change their opinion on the matter and Hargreaves is not mentioned on the forums very often anymore which means he is also not referred to as a whore on the forums very much anymore. In fact, most of the times he is referred to as a whore are when you bring the subject back up with some post or backhanded remark about how unjust it is that people call him this. If you truly and honestly don't like people calling him that on the forum, stop bringing up the subject.

Beauty, thanks nolando! :D

Now that the dust has settled, and in the spirit of terrace humour and making fun of other country's players (and for no other reason), I'd like to suggest the following nickname:

Sydney LeWho?

Who are ya?!