Sign in to follow this  
El Hombre

Voyageurs Christmas/Holiday Cards?

Brainstorming: I love the Montreal image, but let's not put the greeting overtop of it. Let's put the Vs logo in the lower-right corner, the greeting on the inside with the player's name, and that way things look nice and tidy.

I could do up a mockup if anybody's interested in my thoughts.

Guest Jeffery S.

I think redhat's first mock-up is fine, I know things can always improve but time is tight, mail is slow, and the best thing to do is go with what we have. That pic is a real celebration and the text works fine.

Unless someone can do a mockup that is better v. quickly, something individuals could print up where they are and send out to their designated players directly, without having to do a single printing in one spot. Anyone doing it up should specify size, paper, any other design or production specs.

I repeat I will send to continental Europe if no one else is into it.

^Eh? This has been a fan sponsored endeavor since mimglow kept the tradition going. By fan sponsored I of course mean the individuals doing the actual posting foot the bill. But, Sir Reza if you would care to push a pint into my hand when next we meet I shant say no.

Back to the business. I like the idea of a Vs logo or letterhead somewhere on the card (even the back) and as much as I love some of the Vs snaps we have I'm not sure they're quite in keeping with the whole holiday theme. Any holiday greeting card going to Canucks overseas has to have snow on the cover and lots of it so unless we got some useful picks from the Estonia friendly (and damn those would rock) we're back to store bot cards with a V signature (or insert) inside to do the job.

But that's just my opinion. I'll post the design I'm using tomorrow evening/night but everyone is of course free to use whatever card or design they see fit in exercising their portion of this project.

(Actually the more I think about it the more I like the idea of some snaps of Canadians supporters (under the Vs umbrella) on the inside of a card. Quite like that idea a lot).

Oh yes. I hate to sound politically correct but it necessary to keep in mind the Vs Holiday Greetings cards should be just that. Holiday greetings. Winter Holiday greetings. Celebrate the wondrous mosaic which is the modern Canadian reality. It's well worth celebrating.

Okay. We'll start with a rough roll call. Please advise if you wish to participate or if I've accidentally volunteered you for something I shouldn't have. I think we should try to get the cards posted by the end of this week.

South America/Portugal

River City.

(Did it last year so why not in '08?)

Britain

N-A

(This is usually a bigger batch depending on where we draw the line. N-A can you get back to us with a projected mailing list?)

Continental Europe

Saviola7

Jeffery S

(Good. Last year we broke this block into two parts and this year we could do the same if both you lads are willing).

Edit. I've got about 30 names on my rough list for the continent. If say Saviola7 could take on Holland, Belgium and Germany and Jeffery S could take on Spain, Scandinavia and central/eastern Europe that would split things about even. I've included Jonathon de Guzman in my 30 *DUCK!*

flexable

El Hombre

masster

JambolAl

Cheeta

Edit. I'll take on the USA players unless someone else would fancy the job.

USA based players also received Holiday Greeting Cards last year so maybe some one could take that task on. It isn't a huge number so very manageable.

If any of our overseas based Vs, in particular those with multi-lingual skills could help with club mailing addresses that would be grand.

Change of style I guess.

The first few that we did back in the days, were all based on money collected from right around the country.

But anyways, if sharing is needed, count me in.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Back to the business. I like the idea of a Vs logo or letterhead somewhere on the card (even the back) and as much as I love some of the Vs snaps we have I'm not sure they're quite in keeping with the whole holiday theme. Any holiday greeting card going to Canucks overseas has to have snow on the cover and lots of it so unless we got some useful picks from the Estonia friendly (and damn those would rock) we're back to store bot cards with a V signature (or insert) inside to do the job.

But that's just my opinion. I'll post the design I'm using tomorrow evening/night but everyone is of course free to use whatever card or design they see fit in exercising their portion of this project.

(Actually the more I think about it the more I like the idea of some snaps of Canadians supporters (under the Vs umbrella) on the inside of a card. Quite like that idea a lot).

Oh yes. I hate to sound politically correct but it necessary to keep in mind the Vs Holiday Greetings cards should be just that. Holiday greetings. Winter Holiday greetings. Celebrate the wondrous mosaic which is the modern Canadian reality. It's well worth celebrating.

I have to completely disagree here. I am sure the players get enough standard run of the mill winter/holiday theme cards. Most of them probably throw out such cards quite soon after receiving them (I know I do). That is a great picture of us above and would make a great, unique card for the players that is totally representative of who sent it. If I were a player and received that type of card I would defintitely save it as a souvenir of my career.

This is the list I have so far which I am happy with to start with. I have borrowed the list from the Mother of all Canadians topic. I have more cash this year then last so if I have missed out anyone let me know. If there are any Canadian Youth players with clubs that we can confirm I think it would be worth sending a card to them aswell.

English Premier League

Paul Stalteri - Tottenham Hotspur

David Edgar - Newcastle United

English Championship

Jaime Peters - Ipswich Town

Mike D'Agostino - Blackpool FC

Iain Hume - Barnsley FC

English League One

Marc Bircham - Yeovil Town

Josh Wagenaar - Yeovil Town

Asmir Begovic - Portsmouth

Ali Gerba - Milton Keyens Dons

English League Two

Simeon Jackson - Gillingham FC

Terry Dunfield - Macclesfield Town

English Blue Square Premier

Simon Rayner - Crawley Town

English Blue Square South

Elliott Godfrey – AFC Wimbledon

English Ryman Premier

Gavin McCallum – Sutton Utd

Scottish Premier League

Rhian Dodds - Kilmarnock FC

Richard Hastings - Inverness CT

Scottish First Division

Chris Pozniak - Dundee FC

Irish Championship

Ian Mannus - Ballyclare Comrades

Welsh Premier League

John Toner - The New Saints

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree with Grizzly that any image of happy Canada fans is a very positive message to send to Canadian national team members the world over. It says we are here, we are still with you and with Canada, regardless of the latest and most vivid fiascos.

But I am sure that anything that is positive and not cynical or badly done will do and will be appreciated.

I confirm I will do Continental Europe, or a part with Saviola7, and will print up my lot here and pay for postage, as long as someone indicates how to do up the card itself (format, paper, size, etc.)

Cheeta, if you are doing the design, you should have a higher definition version available to send as an attached, I know you know this.

Perhaps someone has addresses from former years, but I take it they are sent to clubs? Unless we have personal home addresses in Canada? I am thinking especially of players whose season has ended, like in Norway, Sweden, and who have a long winter break.

PS. Cheeta, you should have said that about Jono privately, the way I was thinking of saying hello Xmas-ly to Dani Fernandes in the same way. But now the secret is out...

Why would we send out Voyageurs cards to anyone who doesn't play for Canada? That is f-ucking ridiculous. I don't even blame Dani F for his decision as at the time it didn't seem like Canada was interested in calling him but nevertheless he doesn't play for Canada and should not receive a card. If we are going to send cards to Dani and Jono then why not to Hargreaves as well?

If you or Jeffery want to send a card to players who do not play for Canada you are welcome to send a card from yourselves as individuals. Cards representing from the Voyageurs and with our picture/logo should be for players who play for Canada. The cards represent the Voyageurs not your individual friendships and/or opinions. We are a Canadian national team supporters group not a supporters group of players who were born and raised in Canada who do not play in Canada. I for one will be absolutely disgusted if such players were given cards from us and would prefer no cards at all if that was the case.

As an aside it is pretty interesting that Jeffery S. who recently made a lot of wild and inaccurate claims about the Voyageurs being run as an old boys network and not being open makes a statement such as:

quote:PS. Cheeta, you should have said that about Jono privately, the way I was thinking of saying hello Xmas-ly to Dani Fernandes in the same way. But now the secret is out...

^ Re; Dutch de Guzman, fair enough but he's Julian de Guzmans brother and that's good enough for me. If Saviola7 & Jeffrey S are in agreement on handling Europe (and no one else comes forward to help out) I'm sure they'll exercise discretion as they see fit.

Re; Voyageur Snaps. I like the idea quite a lot. As you said related and appropriate. Personally I am not however a fan of those cards people make up of themselves. Not especially, and having a card with a picture of the Vs on the front feels just a bit too much like that to me. But, again everyone is of course free to apply card design (or purchase) as they see fit.

Re; Club addresses. My PC melted down last year and so lost the addresses I used in '07. YNWA has done a bang up job of linking the club websites to the players in the MoaCa topic so that's a good start and last year I recruited some of our European based Vs to help out and was quite successful. As easy as an e-mail.

Re; Collecting money. Reza that was before my time I think. It's not a huge investment and collecting would be more trouble than it's worth unless having a card-a-thon makes the enterprise more inclusive, a greater group effort. There are some on the site who couldn't bother going through the trouble of making up cards but would happily drop a tenner to help the cause. Which is great. Everyone helping out as they can in a way they can.

Well I must have been inspired for some reason or another (must be the markets)

so I redesigned these. You can click and save these as jpgs, take them to your

neighbourhood photo place and make prints to send (4x6s). Very cheap (50 for about $10).

n551678351_1661182_6389.jpg

n551678351_1661183_6695.jpg

Guest Ed

Great job!! (except you have the V's logo flipped in the top half).

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Great job!! (except you have the V's logo flipped in the top half).

Oh yeah. I can fix it, or maybe it'll be another V's mystery ... ;)

For those who are curious, Staples will print in colour on card stock for $1.09 per card and double-sided (for example, if you wanted an inner "happy holidays!" inscription) for $2.08.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

^ Re; Dutch de Guzman, fair enough but he's Julian de Guzmans brother and that's good enough for me. If Saviola7 & Jeffrey S are in agreement on handling Europe (and no one else comes forward to help out) I'm sure they'll exercise discretion as they see fit.

Once again I have to emphasize that you are representing the Voyageurs in this issue not your own opinions, friendships and discretions. There should be some agreement on who to send the cards to and I think it is pretty clear that it should only be national team players or should I say CANADIAN national team players. We could send cards to Stalteri's or Hume's brothers and sisters too who at least would probably be a lot more loyal to Canada and deserving than Jono. If you don't find this a reasonable argument that you are willing to follow, I suggest we then take this to main board (few read this board) and have a vote on whether Jono and Dani should be sent a card in our name.

I agree with Grizzly. This is supposed to be a gesture from the Voyageurs to the players who we try and support. Sending cards to those who turned their backs on Canada and decided to chase endorsements and glory rather than show loyalty to their homes is sending entirely the wrong message and cheapening the gesture for the other guys.

Ok, I'll take Holland, Belgium and Germany as suggested. Here's my exhaustive list:

Holland:

Marcel de Jong - Roda JC (Dutch Eredivisie) (1) ***

Brandon Bonifacio - Camburr-Leeuwarden (Dutch Eerste Divisie) (2) **

Belgium:

Mike Klukowski - Club Brugge (Belgian Jupiler League) (1) ***

Tomasz Radzinski - Lierse SK (Belgian 2ieme Division) (2) ***

Raheem Alibhai - OC Charleroi-Marchienne (Belgian 2ieme Division) (2)

Germany:

Rob Friend - Borussia Monchengladbach (German Bundesliga 1) (1) ***

Kevin McKenna - FC Köln (German Bundesliga 1) (1) ***

Daniel Imhof - VfL Bochum (German Bundesliga 1) (1) ***

Adam Straith - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1) U19 **

Kyle Porter - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1) U19 **

Greg Smith - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1) U19 **

Cody Cook - Energie Cottbus (German Bundesliga 1) (1) Youth **

David (Junior) Hoillet - St. Pauli (German Bundesliga 2) (2) on loan from Blackburn (English Premier League) (1) *

Janeil Hoillet - St. Pauli (German Bundesliga 2) (2) Youth on loan from Blackburn (English Premier League) (1) Youth *

Josh Simpson - Kaiserslautern (German Bundesliga 2) (2) ***

Nik Ledgerwood - 1860 München (German Bundesliga 2) (2) ***

Riley O’Neill - Eintracht Braunschweig (German 3.Liga) (3)

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault - SV Wilhelmshaven (German Regionalliga North) (4) on loan from St. Pauli (German Bundesliga 2) (2) **

Zach Kalthoff - Kaiserslautern II (German Regionalliga West) (4)

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah - Hertha BSC II (German Regionalliga North) (4) **

Gianluca Zavarise - Vfl Bochum II (German Regionalliga West) (4)

Alex Elliott - FSV Mainz 05 II (German Regionalliga West) (4)

Eddy Sidra - Energie Cottbus II (German Regionalliga North) (4) **

Ryan Gyaki - Hansa Rostock II (German Regionalliga North) (4) **

Kent O'Connor - SV Eintracht Trier - (Regional League West) (4) **

Massih Wassey - Preussen Muenster (Regional League West) (4)

Fabrice Lassonde - FC Ingolstadt 04 II (German Oberliga Bayern) (5)

Maycoll Canizalez - Bonner SC (German Oberliga Nordrhein) (5)

Robert Kerek - Bahlinger SC (German Oberliga Baden-Württemberg) (5)

Listed as in Holland on the CSA website, but nowhere to be found anywhere else:

Graham Ramalho (FC Groningen)

Michael Nonni (FC Groningen)

Mozesh Gyorio (NEC Nijmegen)

I have starred to indicate NT (3), U20/U23 (2), and hot prospect (1). So this list ranges from 15 to 17 to 32. I'll send them out to the starred ones first, and then the rest depending on how much I have time for.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

For those who are curious, Staples will print in colour on card stock for $1.09 per card and double-sided (for example, if you wanted an inner "happy holidays!" inscription) for $2.08.

Great idea. You can add a more personal message inside a two-sided

card, maybe rather than the generic "happy holidays".

"You're never alone when you play for Canada" can be followed by

"all the best in 2009", all hand-written. Something like that.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Great idea. You can add a more personal message inside a two-sided

card, maybe rather than the generic "happy holidays".

"You're never alone when you play for Canada" can be followed by

"all the best in 2009", all hand-written. Something like that.

how about this for a message:

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION

Finally did up a quick mockup for your perusal.

vscardmockup.png

Dimensions are 8.5 x 5.5, so you could get two onto a single sheet of borderless 8.5x11 card stock. Obviously, it could be made bigger, and have a few more visual features: I was thinking a list of their caps and goals in 2008 might be goofy fun. But anyway, you get the idea. And, of course, either of the Vs logos is disposable: I just put them both there so you could see the ideas.

Xmas08.jpg

We're going to have a good batch of designs this year. (Sorry, would of had this up last night but SPILLED MY BEER all over it. Ug)

Anyway, going to use this image for the outside and redhat's on the inside (yes, I'll be printing on both sides).

Again, I'll cover the US based players. I'm just going to use the Canucks Abroad list but will post it later for editing and additions.

Xmas08.jpg

We're going to have a good batch of designs this year. (Sorry, would of had this up last night but SPILLED MY BEER all over it. Ug)

Anyway, going to use this image for the outside and redhat's on the inside (yes, I'll be printing on both sides).

Again, I'll cover the US based players. I'm just going to use the Canucks Abroad list but will post it later for editing and additions.