Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SthMelbRed

Contest: Best Original Song/Chant

Recommended Posts

Following on from some of the discussion in the songbook thread, and spurred on by the fellow who posted a cracking DeRo song in a thread last week, I thought it'd be a good idea to throw out a challenge to all of the Vs out there to see who can come up with the best new and original song or chant. I fancy myself to come up with a few, but I'm sure there are some of you out there that will put me to shame.

Guidelines:

1) Song lyrics should be specific to the Men's National Team or pay homage to the act of supporting Canada (bonus points if you can work something up that honours some of the past greats).

2) Tunes can be derived from popular music, culture, or even lifted from existing club chants abroad (if lifting the idea from a different set of supporters, you should try even harder to make your adaptation wittier or more original).

3) It's all well and good to come up with a 300-verse epic masterpiece of a poem honouring our boys, but it's only good if it can work in a stadium full of hosers watching our boys represent us.

Voting will be done on the most informal of basis. If your effort is good, hopefully it'll catch on. If it's not so good, it'll fade away. It's important that nobody slags off somebody else's submissions. We all want to help support the boys all the way to South Africa, so let's keep it positive!

Let the submissions begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one submitted by tmcmurph in another thread:

Sung to the tune of the "Banana Boat Song" by Henry Belafonte (a fav of mine).

Deeee Roooow, Me say Deeee Roooow

DeRo come and score us a goal.

Six shot, seven shot, eight shot, GOAL!

DeRo come and score us a goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've re-worked the one I posted in another thread the other day.

(to the tune of Salt-n-Pepa's 'Let's Talk about Sex)

Let's talk about Hutch, baby!

Let's talk about J-D-G!

Let's talk about all of Hume's goals, and the tackles,

of Stal-te-reeee!

Let's talk about Hutch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

[br]I've re-worked the one I posted in another thread the other day.

(to the tune of Salt-n-Pepa's 'Let's Talk about Sex)

Let's talk about Hutch, baby!

Let's talk about J-D-G!

Let's talk about all of Hume's goals, and the tackles,

of Stal-te-reeee!

Let's talk about Hutch!

That one is sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my latest offering:

(to the tune of Carole King's 'You've got a friend')

We just call out his name,

And we know whomever we play,

He'll be scoring...to win us the game.

Mexico, Honduras, and 'mala,

We're gonna beat them all.

When we need him,

We've got Rob Friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming soon:

Rockin' to Johannesburg! (to the tune of Canadian legend, Neil Young's 'Rockin' in the free world')

Hume shook me all night long (AC/DC's 'You shook me...')

Me and Julian down in Cape Town (Paul Simon's 'Me and Julio down by the schoolyard')

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and Julian headin' to Cape Town

(to the tune of Paul Simon's 'Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard')

Well we're on our way,

and we know where we're going.

We're on our way

for the second time,

and we know where.

Go on, hoser, the king of Coruna.

See you, me and Julian

Down in the Cape Town!

See you, me and Julian

Down in the Cape Town!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha! I'm drunk. I'll play.

Two diddies which have been in my head for a bit and I t'ink could fly...

(johnny come marching home. Yeah, ripped it off but it could work!)

The U-Sector has found it's voice,

who-zah, who-zah

The Voyageurs have found their voice,

who-zah, who-haz.

They all jumped up and gave a cheer.

They lept so high they spilled their beer.

The-all-shouted-out when De-Row* put one home.

The north grandstand has found it's voice,

who-zah, who-zah.

The south grandstand has found it's voice,

who-zah, who-zah.

etc...

* De-Row, Julian, Robbie (Friend), Ian, whoever is appropriate at the time.

(In it's many forms over the years this used to be a favourate back in the day)

And of course what would a football match without Rule Britannia...

You're...in Canada....

We're gonnah kick-your-ass.....

Send.. you.. crying.. back to Tico**-land...

** Tico=Costa Rica

Rasta=Jamaica

Jesus=USA

Taco=Mexico

Banana=Guatemala

Wagner=T&T

So on, so forth. You get the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:Here's my latest offering:

(to the tune of Carole King's 'You've got a friend')

We just call out his name,

And we know whomever we play,

He'll be scoring...to win us the game.

Mexico, Honduras, and 'mala,

We're gonna beat them all.

When we need him,

We've got Rob Friend.

I've got a Rob Friend tribute to the Golden Girls theme

-Thank you for being Rob Friend!!!!

-Up and down the pitch and back again

-Winning balls for Hume and Occean

-He's our Giant almost 6 ft10

- Showing Canadian skills to the the Germans

-Thank you for being Rob Friend!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my latest:

(to the tune of 'This Ol' Man')

De guz Maaan, he scored one,

Got the Ticos on the run.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

Give the ball to Jules,

De Guz maan, he surely rules.

De Guz maan, he scored two,

Beat the Ticos, and Haiti, too.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

Give the ball to Jules,

De Guz Maaan, he surely rules!

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He'll score more than Stal-ter-eee.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

give the ball to Jules.

De Guz Maaan, he surely rules!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

my latest:

(to the tune of 'This Ol' Man')

De guz Maaan, he scored one,

Got the Ticos on the run.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

Give the ball to Jules,

De Guz maan, he surely rules.

De Guz maan, he scored two,

Beat the Ticos, and Haiti, too.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

Give the ball to Jules,

De Guz Maaan, he surely rules!

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He'll score more than Stal-ter-eee.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

give the ball to Jules.

De Guz Maaan, he surely rules!

I love the song! The only little thing I dislike a little is saying JDG will score more then Stalterri (sp?). Although it's true[}:)], as long as we're putting someone down, might as well be it from another team.[:P]

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He'll score more than all El Tri (crappy rhyme, I know).

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He wont need a penalty

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He's the best from his family

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

Win the match and MVP

Just a couple of suggestions!

I will try to think of something with the tune of "Chevaliers de la table ronde". I'm sure most french people will recognize that song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

I love the song! The only little thing I dislike a little is saying JDG will score more then Stalterri (sp?). Although it's true[}:)], as long as we're putting someone down, might as well be it from another team.[:P]

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He'll score more than all El Tri (crappy rhyme, I know).

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He wont need a penalty

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

He's the best from his family

De Guz Maaan, he'll score three,

Win the match and MVP

Just a couple of suggestions!

I will try to think of something with the tune of "Chevaliers de la table ronde". I'm sure most french people will recognize that song.

De Guz Maan, he'll score three.

He's the Gold Cup MVP.

With a knicknack, paddywhack,

Give the ball to Jules.

De Guz Maan, he f*#@in' rules!

How's that now?

It'd be great if some of you French speakers can get some catchy songs going in French, as well, especially now as we have a fair few francophone lads in the team and we'll likely play a match or two at Saputo in the near future. Good luck with your song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ripped off a United song

When Robbie goes marching down that wing, Rob Friend, Rob Friend

When Robbie goes marching down that wing, Rob Friend, Rob Friend

When Robbie goes marching down that wing, The Voyaguers will fu*king sing cause we all know Robbie's gonna score!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...