Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Voyageurs Cup for Canadian competition?

If the three pro clubs are going forward with a tournament, should the Vs try and approach them to see if they are interesting in "borrowing" the Voyageurs Cup for the competition?

That's a good idea. Although you'd think they would want to find some corporate sponsor for the cup and name it after them. Since the coffers are not exactly overflowing with gold at the moment. Tim Horton's Cup or something stupid like that.

Absolutely.

The Voyageurs Cup is a natural fit for that competition, and would add a bit of tradition to a brand new tournament.

A very good idea to involve the clubs in the Voyageurs cup planning process. They have the marketing resources to get the word out regarding the cup, the competition and its name.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

taa daaa....let the record show that the 3 big clubs listen!

Who owns the name? the cup?

The V's own both, although I'm not sure it's copyrighted. The cup is currently in the possession of the Montreal Impact.

Poster "DJT" is the contact person overseeing it all.

quote:Originally posted by mlsintoronto

taa daaa....let the record show that the 3 big clubs listen!

Who owns the name? the cup?

Oh, I'd say it's safe to say Montreal has owned the cup since pretty much day 1....

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The V's own both, although I'm not sure it's copyrighted. The cup is currently in the possession of the Montreal Impact.

Poster "DJT" is the contact person overseeing it all.

thanks - I've emailed him via the voyageurs cup website.

This is confirmed in another thread is it not? I thought it was, but in any case, having the Voyageurs Cup as the ultimate pro soccer tourney in Canada is a great idea. I know there are a lot of debate about opening it up to clubs in the lower tiers as well, but ULS-1 and MLS are both recognized as the top level of professional soccer in Canada, with a quality of play well beyond most other clubs.

I think it would be a real coup to set-up a tournament of this type here in Canada. It would really help improve the status of the sport as well. That said, the less influence the CSA has in the dealings, the beter.