Sign in to follow this  
Saviola7

Voyageurs Song book (CR version) - voting

Ok, so as I said before, I think we should gather all of our songs in one place and pick the best. Presumably this will form the base for song books for future matches, so everyone feel free to vote once. Please limit this thread to voting and maybe some discussion.

Chants:

Number of chants to include (all and none are acceptable answers):

Short Songs:

Number of short songs to include (all and none are acceptable answers):

Long Songs:

Number of long songs to include (all and none are acceptable answers):

Personally I don´t know how many songs should be included, or if spelling out chants are necessary, thus I leave it to the mob to decide. Try to vote for songs or chants that you could actually see yourself doing.

Please vote from this list (refer to this thread http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12833 for complete descriptions ... I´ve tried to put them in order of appearence):

Chants:

CAN-A-DA

let's go Canada <clap,clap,clap>

A rope, a tree, hang the referee ...

Some gasoline ...

Twelve men, you've only got twelve men

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies? I had one, you had one, the ref had 55!

2 Rs 4 Es 1 F in Referee

Ooooh-ah Can-a-da

All we're saying *pause* is give us a goal

This is our House

There's no player like Hume

Short Songs:

Ra-Ra-Radzinski Canada's greatest goal machine

Allez les Rouges (Impact)

Massive

CONCA CRAP JACK

Score in a brothel, you couldn't score in a brothel

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE -

Sweet Be-go-vic...PA PA PA

do do do do do do do do LOMBARDO

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, (winger)'s on the go

Oooh Ahhh David Edgar

Allez les Rouges (Carnival de Paris)

O-le-le, O-la-la, (team) is ****e, Let's Go Canada

Oh Paul Stalteri, you are the love of my life

We hate Señor Archundia

ca-na-DAAA, CA-na-da (river plate supporters tune)

99 bottles of beer on the wall

Love me or hate me

Hey, Ali Gerba!

We love you Cana - Da da da da da da

Go red

Let Forever Be

If I had a Million Dollars

Don't wanna be an American Idiot

Come and get your love

Tubthumping

What about Takin' Care of Business

Our house

Stand up for Canada

De-rosa-rio, O-oooooooo-o

Long Songs:

WINTER WONDERLAND -

AMAZING GRACE -

I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO -

Riot Squad by Bad Brains

The Maple Leaf forver (original)

The Maple Leaf forver (Niagara Hammer's version)

The Maple Leaf forver (Cooks' version)

Immigrant Song (Gordan's version)

Into the net on a dark black night

Fireworks

Bobcaygeon

O Canada (Danny Boy - Bill Spiers version)

New Orleans is Sinking

Logdriver's Waltz

Little bones (pulsar's version)

Summer of 69 (original)

Summer of 69 (pulsar's version)

Summer of 69 (gwallace76's version)

Hockey Night in Canada theme (TOcanadafan's version)

Lean on Me

My stompin´ grounds

I´m still standing

Voting closes Sunday the 2nd.

Chants

-All we're saying *pause* is give us a goal

Short songs

-Ra ra radzinski Canada's greatest goal machine, there was a cat that really could score (someone will have to post the rest of this song as I can't remember it)

-Hey, Ali Gerba!

Long songs

-Summer of 69 (original)

-Stompin' grounds

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

No more This Is Our House!!!

Agreed. Please someone tell me that we're capable of creating chants that are more than 5 words ...

Speak with your votes!

My ballot:

Chants:

1. Ooooh-ah Can-a-da

2. This is our House

2. let's go Canada <clap,clap,clap>

3. CAN-A-DA

5. All we're saying *pause* is give us a goal

Number of chants to include: None

Short Songs:

1. Allez les Rouges (Impact)

2. Stand up for Canada

3. Massive

4. Allez les Rouges (Carnival de Paris)

5. We hate Señor Archundia

Number of short songs to include: 10

Long Songs:

1. Logdriver's Waltz

2. Summer of 69 (any)

3. My stompin´ grounds

4. The Maple Leaf forver (any)

5. O Canada (Danny Boy - Bill Spiers version)

Number of long songs to include: 6

We've got to drum up some more interest for this throughout the board. The pedantic details of our players lives get a lot of attention but the Voyageurs still don't have songs? Strange for a supporters group, and probably a reflection of the lack of home games we've seen over the years.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Agreed. Please someone tell me that we're capable of creating chants that are more than 5 words ...

If it has more than 5 words it wont be a chant. It would be a song.

Besides it is catchy, to the point, and more importantly the Toronto crowd already knows it.

Just do use "lets all stand up" as well.

Do we really need this? I mean, the bulk of supporters at the CR match will be TFC supporters. We already have our own tunes and melodies in mind. Most things are gonna be 'on the fly'

Cue such gems as "Who wants a green card/Who won the Gold Cup" and "Are you cold yet Mexico? Are you cold yet Mexico? Shove a snowball up your a$$hole. Are you cold yet Mexico?" .... both from the last ever WCQ at Varsity. (Sorry Ben ... I had to)

I think we'll do fine without print outs.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Do we really need this? I mean, the bulk of supporters at the CR match will be TFC supporters. We already have our own tunes and melodies in mind. Most things are gonna be 'on the fly'

Cue such gems as "Who wants a green card/Who won the Gold Cup" and "Are you cold yet Mexico? Are you cold yet Mexico? Shove a snowball up your a$$hole. Are you cold yet Mexico?" .... both from the last ever WCQ at Varsity. (Sorry Ben ... I had to)

I think we'll do fine without print outs.

Fair enough, but consider that the two complaints so far have been a) No 'This is our house' (a TFC chant) and B) Chants should be longer than 5 words (most TFC chants I know are rather short). I started this thread/idea because people started mentioning rather long songs on the other thread which would be near impossible to just start up without coordination. I guarantee that if somebody tries to start up a modified version of Summer of '69 or Maple Leaf Forever (even the original), people are going to be lost.

I agree that a lot of it will just come on its own (that's why I recommend excluding chants, but leave them for voting completeness), but there are 2 good reasons for having a Voyageurs songbook:

1) Accessibility. Even for short songs it might not be obvious to the casual Canadian fan to pick up what is being said/sung. For long songs it is crucial for reasons stated above.

2) Unity. As I said, this could be something that goes from match to match (with alterations as necessary) and give us some consistency. It'd be nice if the next time I go to Luxembourg for a match to all know the same songs even if all 4 of us are from different parts of the Canada.

Just because we collect some songs/chants, doesn't mean they *have* to be used. Naturally different cities will have stuff from their own clubs, but I think it's a good idea to have something that we as Voyageurs sponsor.

But whatever, if people don't want to do it, I won't take it personally.

It's a great idea Saviola7. This is something all Vs can print off the net prior to games, make a few extra copies and share them at the games.

I'd love to see the Vs visible and LOUD during the WC 2010 qualifiers. Regardless of the crap that goes down at the CSA, the players neeed to know we're behind them, and the more organized we are, the better that support comes across.

bump ...

Ok, so I know that there have been more important things at hand, but if people want this then they should really vote on it (and that includes people not going to the match since it is a *Voyaguers* song book).

... or not and we'll go back to 5 word chants ...

p.s. - Also include how many of each type of song/chant is appropriate for a song book.

quote:Originally posted by Saviola7

Chants:

5. All we're saying *pause* is give us a goal

Actually , that is a song based on the John Lennon song "All we are saying, is give peace a chance." There is a melody. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by ted

Actually , that is a song based on the John Lennon song "All we are saying, is give peace a chance." There is a melody. [8D]

And it's really meant to be sung ironically, or as a lament, e.g. all Toronto FC fans should be singing it non-stop right now.

It's not meant to be sung when we're up 2-1.

Quick question for anyone who can answer:

I'm not a member of the Voyageurs (Red Patch Boys instead). A few of us are going to the Canada - Costa Rica game on September 12. However, we don't have any CMNT chants / songs (ours are all TFC/ league).

Can someone shoot me your agreed upon list, or in lieu of that a list of the most preferred songs/chants so that I an post it on our forum?

The idea is that we don't end up competing with you guys over what's being sung through the game.

PS: this might be in another thread, but any consensus on showing your disdain for the CSA?

my email is blackburnj@sympatico.ca - any help in the matter is most appreciated.

cheers,

Jonathan

We can't go around THIS IS OUR HOUSE it to popular at BMO.Probably only chant that spreads outside south stands.Even if we don't start that one someone will.

Ok, so today is supposed to be the last day for *voting*. So please vote! Don't suggest/decry ideas anymore. A lot of ideas have been thrown around, it's now time to see what people like best.

My votes for long songs are:

1. Fireworks

2. Winter Wonderland

3. Hallelujah... my suggestion in the first thread that didn't make the list for some reason... [:P]

So I was going to give up on this endeavor, but it seems like the RPB actually want us to come up with something. This is a rough draft of what I've got.

http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~wiersma/stuff/songbook.pdf

I don't like it. I don't like it because I had nothing to work with, save a few votes. Please give me any comments, but preferably your comments would be in vote form (i.e., rather than saying that we should use the new lyrics of Maple Leaf Forever, post a ballot with that on it!). We can distribute it to other boards on Wednesday.

Also, I should probably get around to asking the artists permission to reprint their lyrics, but I'll get around to that later.

^^ We're more curious as to whether you already have a roster of stuff for the CMNT. If not, then we'll just try to pick up on what you're singing and follow suit - and probably throw in some of our own.

cheers

I get the feeling the Voyageurs are more book worms than young men with songs to sing and beer to drink sometimes. Tons of effort going into the murder the CSA threads (which is fine) but no love over here for the song book? Mods none of you wanna weigh in with some feedback here? Keep it up Saviola!

Well, not that it isn't a fun topic but the idea of promoting songs and chants on a web site, and by popular vote, just feels kinda weird. Understand completely what you want to do with it, a very good idea but a voting process isn't necessary. This group or that group will pick and chose what they want and run with it.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but the grandstand is where this sort of thing is suppose to happen. Or at the pub beforehand. Or in the car park while you're tail gating. The popular vote will take place when the song/chant lives or dies during the match. A lot of great material never gets heard twice for a thousand reasons. It was field tested, it crashed, move on.

The host city has always provided the song sheet and I think always will. Nothing wrong with that. Gets more of the crowd involved and that's only a good thing.

Sharing material that's worked in your section in stadium X or that you've found on YouTube or where ever, that's great. But votes on songs and chants we should promote isn't really necessary.

P.S. Hit it square on the head. Lack of home matches haven't allowed for wide reaching Voyageur/Canada chants to evolve. But they will, especially with matches concentrating at one venue (although who really knows what's up with that anymore).

A few choruses, a few chants (sometimes mutated to suit the moment). I think that's all you're ever going to hear at Canada matches for a long time. Forget Bryan Adams, it's going to take the release of some uber-popular song that's easily transplanted to the grandstand for Canada to find it song.

You're right of course Cheeta but I think a song book is a good first step I mean it can't hurt. I'm worried maybe no one will step up at these games and say "Alright boys, what are we singing today?" so at least with a song book and some web discussion the seed is planted so it's more likely to occur. I think the vote is good for at least bringing attention to this, finding out what's on and what's not on in the eyes of the supporters here. It's also fun as the older guys are introducing some classics to the younger guys (Cooks' expo song is classic I've never heard it before). Baby steps...

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Well, not that it isn't a fun topic but the idea of promoting songs and chants on a web site, and by popular vote, just feels kinda weird. Understand completely what you want to do with it, a very good idea but a voting process isn't necessary. This group or that group will pick and chose what they want and run with it.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but the grandstand is where this sort of thing is suppose to happen. Or at the pub beforehand. Or in the car park while you're tail gating. The popular vote will take place when the song/chant lives or dies during the match. A lot of great material never gets heard twice for a thousand reasons. It was field tested, it crashed, move on.

The host city has always provided the song sheet and I think always will. Nothing wrong with that. Gets more of the crowd involved and that's only a good thing.

Sharing material that's worked in your section in stadium X or that you've found on YouTube or where ever, that's great. But votes on songs and chants we should promote isn't really necessary.

P.S. Hit it square on the head. Lack of home matches haven't allowed for wide reaching Voyageur/Canada chants to evolve. But they will, especially with matches concentrating at one venue (although who really knows what's up with that anymore).

A few choruses, a few chants (sometimes mutated to suit the moment). I think that's all you're ever going to hear at Canada matches for a long time. Forget Bryan Adams, it's going to take the release of some uber-popular song that's easily transplanted to the grandstand for Canada to find it song.

It seems that the majority of the Vs agree with you (or are apathetic). I will leave the songbook as it is and people can do with it as they see fit.

Ideally these things would grow out of tradition, but since we virtually have no tradition, you might as well start one that gathers the best ideas. Naturally, after each match you could discard the one s that didn't work and add the ones that were spontaneous.

I understand that it may seem artificial to do it this way, however in my opinion it is no more artificial than MLSE starting a soccer franchise rather than a 100 year old football club rising through the ranks. Even megaphones seem a little artificial, but are used for many supporters sections since they are a helpful way to organise people.

As I said though, the idea didn't really gain much support so I'll effectively drop it. I only hope that a song or set of songs catches on as easily as you think.

Saviola7,

don't give up now. Pick which ones you think are worth it and update them on the first post. If the guys in TO print their own copy for the Costa Rica match, they can then give some feedback on what worked and what didn't.

For the Canada-Congo game, I printed off 100 copies of a double sided chant sheet and 100 copies of a sheet with 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' on one side and 'You're Just Too Good To Be True' on the other.

For the songs, we did try to sing Bright Side of Life and it was working 'cause people could read the words, but it's too long of a song and I think that we stopped on the first chorus as the game was getting exciting. We didn't even bother trying the other song.

For the chants though, we had 37 and maybe tried out 15. Of those, 5 were very popular and caught on quick. The others not so much. I tried sending you an email but it bounced back. PM me with your email and I'll send you what I did as an attachment.