Sign in to follow this  
CanadasBest

Welcome!

The Voyageurs would like to extend a warm welcome to all visitors and potential new members to both our website and forum. With approximately 500 active posters, our forum represents the most complete internet resource for Canadian soccer news and discussion.

The Voyageurs are a group of Canadian soccer supporters devoted to supporting the game in Canada, nurturing a fan base, and building a pro-Canada atmosphere for the Men’s and Women’s National team at all age levels. The group is a non-profit entity funded by website advertising and the financial donations from its supporters.

This forum is dedicated to Canadian Soccer fans around the world. It is intended to be used to gather information, organize events, share ideas, and to meet with other Canadian fans who share the same passion for the game. The forums are open to all ideas and opinions regardless of nationality, race, or creed. The forums are moderated and are not to be used for pushing personal agendas, attacking individuals, or inciting negative regional rivalries.

Some tips for users new and old:

- It is a good idea to treat everyone and their opinions with respect. If you post in a respectful manner, usually people will respond respectfully.

- Please remember that people are entitled to their opinions even if they differ from ours.

- Unless you have a faulty keyboard, please do not type an entire post in CAPITAL letters.

- There are several topics which have been discussed ad nauseam. Use of the "Search" function is strongly encouraged to find old topics.

- Posts containing profanity will be moderated.

- We all have different backgrounds and are all passionate supporters of the game. At times things can get heated but it is all of our responsibilities to keep on topic. Threads that degenerate into a war of words will most likely be deleted or locked.

Once again we would like to take the opportunity to welcome everyone to this forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourself and get to know some of our members. We look forward to meeting all newcomers.

Hello - I'm a new member/poster and I'm very pleased to see organized fan support for Canadian Soccer. I've been a big fan/follower of the men's team for many years and always hated to see men’s national games with sections of the other countries supporters all together with the legions of Canadian fans dispersed throughout the stadium. We always invited as many friends as we could and buy up tickets in one area of the stadium - but that would never substitute for the support the Voyageurs have organized. I remember Canada trying to qualify for the 94 WC playing against Australia. We had never had a national game in Edmonton in years and the fans showed up in droves and we all painted our faces and cheered our butts off without competition from the other teams fans (as we are all used to). We had such a great time my brother and I looked at each other and said that if Canada were to make the WC that we would go no matter where that would be. We've been waiting ever since. I've never been to South Africa but would love to. I think Canada is in tough but with the Gold cup successes of the last few years I think we could always produce results against anyone.

I think that Canada's National Soccer Association needs a complete overhaul. We need more money and better matches and the continued development of a national league. The voyageur cup is a great start to fuel club championships. I'd like to see the Gold Cup develop into a CONCACAF cup - much like the African cup/Euro Cup etc. All of that would help Canada develop.

I would like to personally thank the Voyageurs founders for the website and organizing the support. I tried arranging to get to Montreal to see Canada play St. VAG on the 20th however work commitments interfere. I'll be sure to see other WC qualifying matches should (WHEN!!!) we make the group stage.

Go Canada - Allez les rouges!!!

Brad - Okotoks, Alberta

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Welcome to the group SuperBrad. I won't be at the St. Vag game either but I hope to make it to all 3 games in the next round.

Wallace. If you can make it to all three games, I tip my hat to you!

Hi all! Just like to say that I've recently found this site, and it's great to see that there are so many supporters from all across the country. This may be the next step towards Soccer being a major sport in Canada as opposed to a past-time. - we can hope anyways.

I am looking forward to discussing the beautiful game with all of you, and I hope to see some of you in Edmonton on October 15......cheers.

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forum for a while now and finally got around to joining... It's great to have a read through and be able to follow all aspects of Canadian football, especially reading about players playing abroad. A huge fan of the site and nice to see some other serious Canadian soccer fans!

Hey,

I finally decided to join this forum. Its great that there are so many fans. Unfortunately, I'm probably one of a few footy fans in the Hat. Look forward to talking to everyone on the boards, and hopefully meet some of you in Edmonton in October

Hello,

Long time reader, New poster! just wanted to say Hi to all the great Canadian soccer fans and enjoy reading this form every morning. Been in the Military soccer culture for sometime now, so any questions ask.

The state of soccer in canada.

In the recent past there have been a number of matters in the public discussion about the state of soccer in Canada. In this posting I wish to express my views about some of these matters, with the view of advancing the state of knowledge and information related to the various topics of discussion.

My name is Jim Lianos. I am currently involved as a manager of a major soccer club in Ottawa. Previous to that time (in 2001 and 2002) I was the general manager of the Ottawa Wizards professional soccer team, a team which participated in the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

It is my firmly held view that soccer in Canada needs to have people who are passionate and dedicated to the game. It needs people who are willing to make significant contributions of either time or money or both. I witnessed directly that kind of person when I was the general manager of the Ottawa Wizards. The prime mover behind the Ottawa Wizards was Omur Sezerman. He created the Ottawa Wizards team and saw it develop quickly into a championship caliber team. It maintained a high level of play at the professional competitive level throughout its existence. The club achieved the best record in the history of the Canadian Professional Soccer League.

He was willing to search the globe to locate talented world class professional players and employed them on the Ottawa Wizards team. He provided compensation for the players which I believe averaged more than the other teams in the same league. I say this to show that these things demonstrate Mr. Sezerman’s level of passion for the game and desire to see it achieve the highest possible level of accomplishment.

The point becomes that for Canadian soccer to develop and achieve its potential, people need to exhibit similar levels of determination, commitment, and passion for the game.

People have to devote resources to permit the game to be played. At all levels. From youth to adult. From amateur to professional.

Omur Sezerman was the primary person behind the development of an indoor facility which was built in Ottawa (known as the OZ Dome) and which has been used for the game of soccer. And he had a high quality outdoor soccer pitch constructed. Without the creation of these facilities I feel certain that the development of soccer at all levels would have not progressed as well as it has in the Ottawa area.

I understand that he used his own resources for the development of these facilities. I understand that he did not have government financial assistance. The facilities have been used for professional soccer players and amateur players alike. We cannot leave it to government or other public agencies to take the lead position in the development of facilities. Other people have to follow the lead of Omur Sezerman. I feel certain that the involvement of “private interests” will promote the development of the game in Canada.

Mr. Sezerman has generously provided the use of the facilities free of charge to local soccer clubs and national teams. He has participated in fund raising activities. He has personally sponsored clubs, events, and players in the Ottawa area.

To summarize, the people of Canada need to catch on to soccer at the same level of dedication, commitment and passion as have people like Omur Sezerman. He has taken the initiative. He has provided facilities, opportunities. He has provided exposure. He has helped people of all stripe to learn and enjoy the many benefits of this wonderful game.

We can thank Omur Sezerman for his bountiful contributions to the game in the Ottawa area. Others would do well to adopt the positive things arising out of this experience.

Jim Lianos.

Hello I'm a new member of Voyaguers, I am also a Southsider.

My fav clubs go in order of Whitcaps, TFC, FC Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, Fenerbache, Ajax, Rangers FC, FC St. Pauli, Yeovil Town FC, and Deportiva de La Coruna.

I'm from Vancouver with a background of Ukrainian and Russian.

I spend most my day Kottonmouthed

as well as I have begun to watch gunner football in anticipation of Arshavin.

My fav clubs go in order of Whitcaps, TFC, FC Shakhtar Donetsk, Tottenham Hotspur, Fenerbache, Ajax, Rangers FC, FC St. Pauli, Yeovil Town FC, and Deportiva de La Coruna.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

Isn't this a little incompatible? ;)

Welcome aboard!

Sooner is better than later and your story is very motivating and also a big sign that soccer has a tremendous magic even all the way to Ottawa.Omur is a jewel and one that is an example of that great passion.My dedication to soccer is well known,but he puts me to shame.I hope and I sure expect he gets the appropiate recognition in the Ottawa area as well as the support of the media which in most cases is way to little.I seem to recall reading a e mail announcing a pro team in the Capital.Is he involved.?

Greetings friends, all are welcome. We span this great country, and many of us live abroad. We are united by our desire to see Canadian soccer thrive internationally and professionally.

Much has been accomplished since we started in 96 and this is only the beginning. One has to only look at the humble birth of the Voyageurs Cup in 2002, to see what passion and drive can accomplish.

Hi everyone pretty new to this forum and Voyageurs.....and i'm glad to be here....

I'm a Whitecaps Southsider, and long time supporter of Vancouver soccer.........i'm also a Liverpool supporter

can't wait to go to my first MNT game against Puerto Rico on tuesday.....Going to be a blast......see you all there

Go Canada Go!!!!!!!!