Sign in to follow this  
CanadasBest

Welcome Forum

Ok, finished writing an intro to our forums which is aimed mostly at newcomers. Would like some feedback on this. The 500 users was in the last 3 months taken from the member's page on the forum. I also used some points from both our website and Reza's Mission Statement as well. I also thought it would be a good idea to include some posting tips.

The Voyageurs would like to extend a warm welcome to all visitors and potential new members to both our website and forum. With approximately 500 active posters, our forum represents the most complete Internet resource for Canadian soccer news and discussion.

The Voyageurs are a group of Canadian soccer supporters devoted to supporting the game in Canada, nurturing a fan base, and building a pro-Canada atmosphere for the Men’s and Women’s National team at all age levels. The group is a non-profit entity funded by website advertising and the financial donations from its supporters.

This forum is dedicated to Canadian Soccer fans around the world. It is intended to be used to gather information, organize events, share ideas, and to meet with other Canadian fans who share the same passion for the game. The forums are open to all ideas and opinions regardless of nationality, race, or creed. The forums are moderated and are not to be used for pushing personal agendas, attacking individuals, or inciting negative regional rivalries.

Some tips for users new and old:

- It is a good idea to treat everyone and their opinions with respect. If you post in a respectful manner, usually people will respond respectfully.

- Please remember that people are entitled to their opinions even if they differ from ours.

- Unless you have a faulty keyboard, please do not type an entire post in CAPITAL letters.

- There are several topics which have been discussed ad nauseam. Use of the "Search" function is strongly encouraged to find old topics.

- Posts containing profanity will be moderated.

- We all have different backgrounds and are all passionate supporters of the game. At times things can get heated but it is all of our responsibilities to keep on topic. Threads that degenerate into a war of words will most likely be deleted or locked.

Once again we would like to take the opportunity to welcome everyone to this forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourself and get to know some of our members. We look forward to meeting all newcomers.

"The Voyageurs would like to extend a warm welcome to all visitors to both our website and forum. With approximately 500 active posters, our forum remains one of the best sources of information regarding Canadian soccer on the internet. "

Don't sell the forum short, it is THE best source online. Period.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Try to avoid restating the same opinion over and over again.

Good job Geoff....but with that little gem, half the discussion in the threads will disappear....

Guest Jeffery S.

Hi Geoff

This seems more like a welcome for the forum specifically. Is that the strict intention?

I am asking as perhaps it would be useful to mention the front page (we are not a news source, but news does appear in the forum), and the Voyageurs Cup (we do exist beyond the forum itself). And perhaps a line about organizing support in stadiums home and away for the national teams, more concrete than just "supporting" as an abstract idea. This would give new visitors the idea that Voyageurs do meet up for specific events and causes.

- Daniel, Agreed this is the best forum on the net. The good members we have and the content included make it so. Do we need to sell the forum in the welcome page, or leave it up to the content?

- John TV, What would you like changed specifically with regards to welcoming new people to the forum? I added "potential new members" in the first line.

- River City, I deleted that section... It kind of falls under people that push personal agendas.

- Jeffrey, This was intended to be more a welcome to the forum. A place where lurker's and newcomers could post and introduce themselves without worrying about someone jumping down their throat as sometimes is the case with new posters. I like your ideas about changes to the front page. Sam's army has a good little section about cheering on the national team and what to expect in their sections. I agree with you that we need to promote the V's accomplishments outside of the forum.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

- Daniel, Agreed this is the best forum on the net. The good members we have and the content included make it so. Do we need to sell the forum in the welcome page, or leave it up to the content?

We don't have to be bombastic, but we can mention our forum as "the most complete Internet ressource for Canadian soccer news and discussion" or something like that.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

We don't have to be bombastic, but we can mention our forum as "the most complete Internet ressource for Canadian soccer news and discussion" or something like that.

I like it... Made the change above.

Guest Jeffery S.

"Resource" with one "s". Not necessary to put "non-profit" starting with capital letters. Nor "soccer", nor "supporters".

A way to solve the last one is to start with "The Voyageurs: Canadian Soccer Supporters, would like to extend..."

Apart from that, fine to publish.

gwallace76, if you would start a new "Welcome!" topic (or some such thing) using your latest draft I'll sticky and lock it in this forum section. That'll secure it at the top of the page and allow for this topic and the discussion around it to remain for future reference or use.

If we are saying "Please use this thread to introduce yourself and get to know some of our members." it would appear it needs to be left open. I don't consider someone's introduction to be a pointless post.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

If we are saying "Please use this thread to introduce yourself and get to know some of our members." it would appear it needs to be left open.

Ah yes, I didn't see that. The thread would need to be reopened or edited.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I don't consider someone's introduction to be a pointless post.

No, its when you get member's welcoming new members and when those people who never end up staying introducing themselves that things get a bit pointless.

Hmmm. Ref's kinda got a point there.

Personaly I'd rather the "Welcome" be locked. All introductions can be made on-the-playing-field if you would. That is to say, in topical discussion throught out the various forums.

I think gwallace76 wrote a pretty good piece there with some friendly pointers. I don't think it needs to get buried under the eventual weight of dozens and dozens of "Hello. My names Rick and I'm a footie-holic. So glad I found this site." blah, blah, blahing.

But you guys let me know which way you want to go with this. Don't really see any serious harm in unlocking the topic.

Oh-my-Gawd. I'm becoming a bureaucrat. Voluntarily!

There seems to be some confusion. A while ago there was a suggestion that we have a dedicated thread in which newcomers could introduce themselves. Several people liked that idea, so I said we'd give it a try, but asked that someone write the first post for that thread (so that we'd have something more interesting than simply "introduce yourself here"). The result of that request is Geoff's post. The time that passed and the nitpicking over the details seem to have resulted in the original point getting lost! Which, once again, was to have a thread in which newcomers could introduce themselves.

So either the existing thread should be unlocked or yet another thread should be created. I don't see the point of having a bunch of stickies, so I say unlock the existing thread.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

So either the existing thread should be unlocked or yet another thread should be created. I don't see the point of having a bunch of stickies, so I say unlock the existing thread.

I say screw the idea of having a "dedicated thread in which newcomers could introduce themselves". How many of us (the people who are posting on these boards) gave an introduction when we first joined up? I didn't and I got a long just fine.

Just my *humble* opinion.

Is there some way the user profile can be enhanced to allow people to provide details about themselves?

That way if someone is interested, they can click on the name right in a discussion, rather than having to go to another forum.

What would be amusing is if we could come up with a list of ten or so questions that everyone has to answer the would characterize their persona, ie.

Ethnic Teams - Yes or No?

Canadian League or Big Three in MLS?

Lombardo, crap or a work-in-progress?

Mitchell or Simoes?

Southsiders demise - Apathy or Conspiracy?

Natural Grass or Artificial turf

Subsidized Stadiums - Good or Bad?

McGowan or Listch (kidding, but you get the picture...)

quote:Originally posted by DJT

There seems to be some confusion. A while ago there was a suggestion that we have a dedicated thread in which newcomers could introduce themselves. Several people liked that idea, so I said we'd give it a try, but asked that someone write the first post for that thread (so that we'd have something more interesting than simply "introduce yourself here"). The result of that request is Geoff's post. The time that passed and the nitpicking over the details seem to have resulted in the original point getting lost! Which, once again, was to have a thread in which newcomers could introduce themselves.

That is exactly right and it was my point too. To have a locked welcome and introduction thread is contradictory and not much of a welcome. There is no obligation to introduce oneself, but that does not deter the "old" crowd to be courteous and to welcome new people.