Sign in to follow this  
River City

Voyageurs Mission Statement

To continue the discussion on the incorporation , or at the very least, organization of the group, here's a first draft of the mission statement. I'm confident between all of us, we can come up with something we can somewhat agree on....

To provide a forum for fans of Canadian Soccer to interact, exchange ideas and assist in the development of the sport in Canada through the promotion of soccer at all levels, support for Canadian soccer players and lobbying of the CSA and other soccer bodies according to the wishes of the membership.

by being a watchdog. - promotion through the creation of a sea of red in home games as well as through projects like the voyageurs cup, and also just by virtue of existing as a fan base that can grow.

maybe it should include something about us being more focused on 'elite soccer' in canada, rather than just soccer in canada- 2 very different things.

My $0.02 - there should be a distinction between primary mandate and secondary mandates

primary:

- to support the players and create a pro-canada atmosphere at all home games

secondary:

- forum to exchange ideas about improving soccer in canada

- promotion of the game

- CSA watchdog

- advocate for the development of elite soccer in canada

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

by being a watchdog. - promotion through the creation of a sea of red in home games as well as through projects like the voyageurs cup, and also just by virtue of existing as a fan base that can grow.

maybe it should include something about us being more focused on 'elite soccer' in canada, rather than just soccer in canada- 2 very different things.

My $0.02 - there should be a distinction between primary mandate and secondary mandates

primary:

- to support the players and create a pro-canada atmosphere at all home games

secondary:

- forum to exchange ideas about improving soccer in canada

- promotion of the game

- CSA watchdog

- advocate for the development of elite soccer in canada

Agreed, the primary Mission should be to attend as many home games as possible and to create a pro-Canada atmosphere. Thanks for writing this River City.

Here is my 2 plus cents on a more formatted way. Please feel free to shoot me down.

Mission

To establish a forum for discussion of soccer in Canada and to establish a Cup trophy.

Constitution

Article 1 – Name

The name of the Forum shall be Voyaguers and the name of the Cup shall be Voyageurs Cup.

Article 2 – Purposes

The purposes of the Forum shall be:

a) To interact and exchange ideas by means of postings on an Internet type forum.

B) to assist in the development of soccer in Canada by providing input to local, Provincial and national soccer bodies.

c) To promote soccer at all levels by attending events and researching players.

d) To create a forum membership base of contributors by using computer software database.

Article 3 – Territory

The forum boundaries will extend to such coverage as available through an internet connection.

Article 4 – Affiliation

The Forum may affiliate with other organized soccer entities but will operate independently. This provision is unalterable.

Bylaws

…. to come

As far as organization goes, here is what i think the mission statement should be:

Mission:

* To support soccer in Canada

* To nurture a fanbase for the game throughout Canada

* To help build pro-Canada atmosphere within Canada

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Mission:

Simple, concise, and very accurate. That's very accurately sums up most of us are here for.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

B) to assist in the development of soccer in Canada by providing input to local, Provincial and national soccer bodies.

c) To promote soccer at all levels by attending events and researching players.

I think that you are in the wrong forum.

Mission:

I think you got it.

Ok guys,sounds great but we must really consider setting up an organized media body to promote and support all local events as well as international events.

In other words:

The development and promotion of soccer and assist and or publicize all soccer events that are deemed to be of both National and International nature and importance.

I would even consider setting up a media watch body to ensure that we receive equal treatment and recognition.

I can assure you that this alone will be one of the very best things we can do for the development of soccer in Canada.

Hey B.M,Reffe,hat,kick.Reza,Wally, Brennan,G. Wallace any observation at all.I realize yo'all make reference to promote the game and it seems I am a little more specific,so here we go, any yas or nay's?

By the way.G.Wallace,are you THE, Gordon whom I played with umpteen years ago, along with Sweetzer,McQueen and Budd?

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Hey B.M,Reffe,hat,kick.Reza,Wally, Brennan,G. Wallace any observation at all.I realize yo'all make reference to promote the game and it seems I am a little more specific,so here we go, any yas or nay's?

By the way.G.Wallace,are you THE, Gordon whom I played with umpteen years ago, along with Sweetzer,McQueen and Budd?

Nope, got me confused with someone else.

Reza's mission statement is perfect. That's what it's all about. To me the forum itself is one of the main vehicles to deliver Reza's 3 points.

I feel quite appalled that no one seem to realize how powerful we can be when it gets to the promotion of our game. All these years we all have been witnissed what the media did to our game. We all suffered and we all were upset and or really peed of. We were treated as third rate citizens and we were all the times the laughing stock of all news rooms. We have to make sure that this crap does not happen again, Our kids demand the recognition they trained and dreamed about. The future of our game is in the hands of those that care and understand and not in those that treat us as outcasts. So we all must be vigilant and believe in what we all admire believe and love so much.

We must make sure that the media is on our side and not on the brunt side of jokes and dislikes.

If you guys do not realize the importance we will never be an important sport.

As far as organization goes, here is what i think the mission statement should be:

Mission:

if I may <s>add</s> suggest</u> very subtle changes...

To promote soccer in Canada

To support and grow a fanbase for the game throughout Canada

To establish a pro-Canada atmosphere versus international competition on Canadian soil.

Ok squid,to promote soccer.

A huge statement yet not supported by any detail. So how do you propose this to be done. promote to whom, when and were. How do you visualize this promotion to work at it;'s best. Whom do you promote this to and what vehicles do you want to use. Who will be doing the promotions and what follow up is set up to ensure it has it's maximum results. What age groups and sex as well as what areas need to be looked at.Squid I am only half way, but answer these first and than i will give you the more difficult second half.

With all due respect Mr Vanderkolk I think your putting the cart in front of the horse, again!

A mission statement can be very short (simple) or very long (complex).

A mission statement should present a vivid “picture” for a reader, especially one that enables a reader to understand who the Voyageurs are and what it is that they stand for. I personally think that Reza pretty much captured it – so to did others. You obviously didn’t, few would be surprised by this.

A mission statement is supported and explained with further clarity by it’s Rules, Regulations and/or By-Laws. The details that you ask/seek/offer will follow.

It seems to me that the forces driving this initiative seek the simplicity of clarity – short & sweet (i.e. Reza’s mission statement). The details will follow – due diligence and common sense will run its course and “promotion” will be defined as the process unfolds.

Promotion equates to many things, certainly more than you have cited, however rather than beating a dead horse and simply pointing your finger and making demand of others, why don’t you start expanding on your starting points for “promotion”?

quote:Originally posted by john tv

So how do you propose this to be done. promote to whom, when and were. How do you visualize this promotion to work at it;'s best. Whom do you promote this to and what vehicles do you want to use.

John buddy. You sure know how to attract people don't you?;)

Like squid2 and everyone else, a MISSION STATEMENT has to be short

and succinct, and provide a GENERAL acceptable mandate.

Specifics are to follow on projects when the organization is more

formalized, has a budget, and has responsible people to direct the

intended course of action.

The Voyageurs right now is a volunteer army that needs to get

organized first.

Yap don't sent the red army. Of course you are all correct, but I just thought I throw in those details that should not be overlooked. I even venture to say that in the mission statement we should make direct reference to that media.

Yes we are all volunteers and that is the very big beatty. i have been following you guys for a while and i have nothing but the highest admirtion for all that intellect,wisdom and foremost free spirit. Canada is in very good hands and judging by you guys is is going to work like a charm in the future.

Ok.

Assuming we go with Reza's or quid2's version, what's the next step?

1)Do we list all of the projects and activities we wish to be involved with?

2)Do we figure out a structure?

3)Do we formulate bylaws? If so, should this be a task better done by a small committee?

4)How do we decide on what to do? Votes? Ouija board? Eenie, meenie, miny , moe?

Personally, I say #1 and #2. #3 can be held off until we have an organization in place. There's no point doing it until we know what #1 is. And no point doing it if there is no #2. I'm also strongly in favour of #4, but understand the hesitation of some V's.

I hate to dredge up old topics, but with Jarrek stepping down from his server administrator duties, I do believe the time is high for us a group to take the next step.

MISSION STATEMENT

I'm ok with either Reza's or squid2's version of the mission statement. Do we vote on either?

PROJECTS

The main ones we've been involved with have been;

Voyageurs Forum

Voyageurs Cup

Mother of All Canadians Abroad

Christmas Cards

Setting up supporters sections at MNT games

Banner making (Reza and Marc P made them. I have one and Vancouver Fan has the other 2 I believe)

Scarves

Media Protests

STRUCTURE

Since the incorporation discussion didn't result in a concensus, I say we forget it, but we still need to have some sort of organized structure. Especially for media purposes.

EXECUTIVE:

Founder - Reza

President (CSA liaison)

Treasurer

Media Relations

Fundraising/Merchandising

Server - currently Jarrek, DJT, Sigma, Beachesl, Cheeta, bettermirror, Jamit, The Beaver & Youllneverwalkalone

REGIONAL REPS:

Provincial or by City

PROJECT MANAGERS

Your thoughts gentlemen...

(CSA liaison) I would change that to "liaison with maximum Canadian Soccer Organization".

I still believe in incorporation but failing that we still need a procedure (bylaw) as to how Executives are elected and the same for Regional Reps. But let us be careful with Regional Reps that we don't end up with another dysfunctional CSA structure. I assume Project Managers are appointed positions by the Executive.

For Regional Reps, my thought is that we need local guys in the major cities to be the main contacts anytime the MNT plays. Organize viewing parties or bus trips if the game is in another city, organize sections if the game is in their cities, recruit members, etc.

For project managers, that would be a combo of volunteers and appointees for any of the projects we've done in the past and any future ones as well.