Sign in to follow this  
redhat

Voyageur Design Contest --- Winning Designs

quote:Originally posted by marktci

So the million dollar question... when/where will we be able to get these beautiful t-shirts? It'd be nice to have a section ful of them on September 12th.

Well, the design is the domain of strobe and the Voyageurs,

so if you wish you can get it made or silk-screened for yourself.

We can also use Cafe Express; that's just up for discussion.

Could stobe_z and Kibby email me your address? Just click on my name

on the left to email. Thanks and congratulations!

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Well, the design is the domain of strobe and the Voyageurs,

so if you wish you can get it made or silk-screened for yourself.

We can also use Cafe Express; that's just up for discussion.

CafePress now has RED shirts! They did not used to but since they do it would be a great way to distribute Voyageurs stuff AND raise money!

Just out of interest, I slapped the logo design into CafePress to see what the options would be. http://www.cafepress.com/strobe_z

Now, before anyone makes any purchases, this is still a low quality logo and the prices are set to a 20% markup (which would go directly to me). This is just for discussion purposes, so we should set up a V-store (possibly with more than one design option) and figure out who's in charge and where the money goes...

disucss~

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z we should set up a V-store (possibly with more than one design option) and figure out who's in charge and where the money goes...

I could see supporting a private CafePress store that donates a small % of sales to the Voyageurs in return for "official supplier" status, rights to produce stuff with our logo and promotion on this site.

As I mentioned to strobe, we'd likely go ahead with something more concrete

by mid-August, hopefully just in time for the Costa Rica game.

If we do this, what do you guys want to do with the "profits"? I'd suggest

the funding of this site, or a further campaign like sending some of these

shirts to the players. I'm sure they'd get a kick out of these.

Unless the Voyageurs have a bank account, I think it is a good idea to keep money profits out of individual V's bank accounts, just to be on the safe side. The scarfe project was not-for-profit, but as soon as we start making money off things, then someone is vulnerable.

If there was a Voyageurs account, then that's a different story.

I'd love to buy some V's gear though, so I think this may be the start of something good.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Unless the Voyageurs have a bank account, I think it is a good idea to keep money profits out of individual V's bank accounts, just to be on the safe side. The scarfe project was not-for-profit, but as soon as we start making money off things, then someone is vulnerable.

If there was a Voyageurs account, then that's a different story.

I'd love to buy some V's gear though, so I think this may be the start of something good.

After the PLF fiasco, any money raised by the V's as a group should go into a V's bank account controlled by a board of directors. I.E. Incorporate.

Nice set-up strobez. I was going to say with all the "ladies" items on there you guys are mighty optimistic considering the ratio on Facebook. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

After the PLF fiasco, any money raised by the V's as a group should go into a V's bank account controlled by a board of directors. I.E. Incorporate.

Nice set-up strobez. I was going to say with all the "ladies" items on there you guys are mighty optimistic considering the ratio on Facebook. [:P]

Just one more reason to incorporate^^

well, at this point one option is for me to just upload a high quality image to CafePress and set the markup to zero. We make no profits.. but neither will I. [}:)]

It seems a waste, but better than having all of you point at me and ask where's the money! I agree it seems like another good reason to incorporate, but that won't get decided any time soon and in the mean time we'll be without swag!

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Heh... I clicked "all items available" for the shop's goods. My personal favourite is the thong!

Guest Jeffery S.

First off regarding money. I think that one of the accounts of one of the people administering the site should be used, as long as the account is only used for Voyageur purposes (I don't know if that is what Jarrek et al do now).

Or else someone could offer to be an accountant, open an account and handle finances for us, on the condition that a basic financial report be made available yearly.

In either case there are certain legal/tax questions that would end up affecting only that person, and not the Voyageurs, we not being incorporated. If any costs are thereby incurred, they could be covered by any benefits.

Regarding CafePress. First there should be profits, as otherwise the only ones making money are CafePress and USPost, makes no sense.

I think a part of the profits for a design like this on CafePress should go to the designer, or perhaps we could establish a set fee and anything after that goes to Voyageurs. As long as the person does not cede their rights to their creation, in which case all profits would go to Voyageurs.

We should have a person that administers the CaféPress shop. Meaning this person would post possible designs to include and get approval on the forum, and then they would go into the stocks on the CafePress shop. Monitor sales and answer questions often sent.

As for how it best works, well I have dealt with them a bit. First off it works best if you have a limited portfolio of designs and supports. You do not want 15 designs, but you could have five or six with colour or other variations on them. The "We Got Jacked", some variations of our basic logo, whatever else comes along and folks think has some quality. Some could appear for a specific event and then be taken off.

You should not offer the product on all possible supports, as the test strobe_z shows, but rather you should choose the most typical (men and womens t-shirts, long sleeves, anorak, female and male sleeveless, underpants and baby bibs for a laugh, mugs, a poster). You pick maybe 10 ways you can have it and leave it at that, much more clear and easy. Like any shop, you limit the selection and the buyer's attention is more focussed.

When people from here then go and buy on CaféPress it makes sense to do so in bulk, meaning someone in Mtl wants a t-shirt and tells other Mtl Voyageurs, hey, let's buy 10 of these. That way you save on mailing costs, so coordinating some buying between ourselves makes sense.

Finally, there is nothing that prevents a person from coming up with a Voyageur design and posting it on their own shop at CafePress. There is no way to control the copyright or the use of the name. Meaning that poaching on the entity and its image is hard to prevent. This is like your I luv NY shirts, in the end it is free for all. The only thing we can do in this regard is link to this site from the "official" page, and have this site link to our CafePress shop (very effective in fact, but you should probably have a pic with a chick wearing a V-logo on a tank top if you want to get the hits). This way anyone getting there through us will go to the official merchandising, and anyone at the merchandise can check where it came from.

Like with all shops, if you advertise (on the site) and promote (talk about new products, offer a period of discounts once a year), you get more sales. There is so much on CafePress that otherwise you are going to be lost in some dark corner of that massive mega-mall.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

well, at this point one option is for me to just upload a high quality image to CafePress and set the markup to zero. We make no profits.. but neither will I. [}:)]

Whoah! Hang on, what about my suggestion above?

If we declare you an "official supplier" and you say that 25% of the net proceeds will be sent to the Voyageurs annually then you are off the hook except to send a cheque once a year with an accounting.

You can set the prices to whatever you think will work and thus be compensated for your time and any expenses.

Well, I have no problem if strobe would like to initiate this endeavour.

You can set the profit at 25% markup, with the promise to send the proceeds

to this site AT THE END OF THE YEAR. If the profit for a shirt is only $5,

then the annual procceds would be $5 X 130 (Facebook membership)= $650.

Not too shabby.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Well, I have no problem if strobe would like to initiate this endeavour.

You can set the profit at 25% markup, with the promise to send the proceeds

to this site AT THE END OF THE YEAR. If the profit for a shirt is only $5,

then the annual procceds would be $5 X 130 (Facebook membership)= $650.

Not too shabby.

Actually I said 25% NET. That means that for every $1 over cost the Voyageurs would get $0.25 and the supplier would get $0.75. Or, in your example above the return to the Voyageurs would be $162.50

The ratio could be 50/50 or even reversed to 75/25 but an endeavour like this works better if the supplier earns something for their time and effort.

So the question is do we want (1) an "in-house" V-Shop or (2) to outsource to an "official supplier"? The details can be worked out later, lets decide, on option one or option two first.

quote:Originally posted by ted

I vote for whichever is more convenient/expedient for us. Since you

and strobe are stand-up V's IMO, why don't we have it at CafePress

and you and/or strobe could administer it. We could have a link

to the site and get it rolling.

The issue is quite different from "scarf-gate" because CafePress is

doing the money collection and shipping, so the goods are always (?)

delivered. The scarf problem was that no goods were provided for the

transaction.

(BTW, if the shirt cost is $20, and WITH the net markup is $25,

that's $5 per shirt. That is if people would buy the shirts at $25.)

I may be a stand up Voyageur... and I trust myself... I'm not sure how the CafePress system really works. I just joined up and slapped the image in there. Is there anyone else who'd like to volunteer for the job?

I hope strobe and Kibby enjoyed their prizes, and wish to thank everyone for getting

into the spirit of the contest. (Sorry for the delay, Kibby.)

As for the CafePress thing, well, I hope we can re-launch it later for the next Gold Cup,

or in time for the WCQ next year. Setting it up right now kinda loses its relevance,

in light of the CSA fiasco.

We should try to have another design contest, just in time for next year's WCQ.