Sign in to follow this  
BrennanFan

Voyageurs History and Mythology Explained

Here is my contribution to a few of these issues:

To add to what Jeffery said about Fernando Aguair. The first time he posted was on the old board but Jeffery`s memory is not quite accurate in that he made quite a few posts the first time. At this time though he was very polite and explained his situation quite thoroughly with a little more honesty than one expects in such a situation and made an overall good impression. The second time if I remember correctly was in the early days of the new board and he got in some arguments with certain posters and really blew his top and made a very bad impression. At least by the second time (and maybe the first time as well) Jeffrey was in e-mail contact with him so we had some confirmation that it was really him and not some imposter.

Regarding the Belize cucumber, I am not sure if it was the first or second game but I think some of the U-sector Toronto guys stopped at a market en route to Kingston and bought a large bag/bushel of cucumbers. They had a lot of them anyway, so many that not only did each Voyageur get at least one cucumber to wave around but they even handed quite a few out to other people sitting near us. The best thing about it was not only did the people receiving them not know the significance of the cucumber but I don't think the U-sector guys themselves knew what they were supposed to mean or why they bought them (the beer told them to do it?)

I first met Stalteri's wife in Kingston and what a classy lady. I was talking to him when the chant was made about taking out Hargreaves. He kind of smiled and I don't think it bothered him but I don't think he was that impressed by it either. Not really his style. If we want someone to take out Hargreaves I think Friend would be a better choice or maybe even Edgar. Not that that is their style either but they are the only two I have heard voice strong criticism against Hargreaves' decision to play for England. I don't think McKenna was outside when the chant was made but he is best friends with Hargreaves so I doubt he would have approved.

Also in Kingston I met the whole DeGuzman clan except for the mother. I have pictures of me and the Keays with Bobby, Jonathon and his sister and later with Julian. Will post them on the thread if I find the disc. Another funny Kingston thing was I went to the first game with my brother and introduced my brother to Sean Keay who was leading chants with his drums. This led to a several minute chant by 30 or 40 guys singing "Grizzly's Brother" to my brother who didn't even know who the hell Grizzly was.

One of our classiest moment (and there weren't that many;)) in Kingston was after the game when we were talking to the Canadian players and the Belize goalie came out and we chanted his name because he really was their only good player and had played very well (and that after 90 minutes of chanting "You're going home in a Kingston ambulance"). I think it was the first and only time in his career that he heard a fairly large group of fans chant his name. I also remember one of the Belize players wanted to exchange jerseys with a Canada fan (possibly a Voyageur) who had a Canada shirt on and that the Canada fan didn't want to exchange shirts. I certainly would have changed jerseys had I been wearing one as it would only cost $100 for a new one and how many people can say they have an authentic game worn Belize jersey. Bit of a collector's item.

I also remember meeting Edgar. He was probably 16 and very shy and we chanted his name as well which made him somewhat embarrassed. I am sure he will be used to it by the next time. Despite the less than stellar opponent, those Kingston games were really great, maybe because the team had not played in Canada for so long before them.

Another classic Voyageur moment not yet mentioned was the time Sean Keay was chosen as the most crazy Toronto Argonauts fan and won a free trip with some friends to the Grey Cup in Ottawa. Someone has to find the picture of Sean in his Argos getup.

And now to the Luis Rancagua question. Although no one has knowingly met him (Luis claims to have met several members including GL without telling them who he was), Luis did post a picture of himself at a Blizzard game many years ago on the old board. I remember it well because he jokingly said I am the skinhead in the picture because he had a brush cut and a couple of members took him seriously and thought he was a real skinhead and started bitching at him.

Canoeheads: I believe it was David Carmichael who originated the canoehead idea. There was a Canadian sketch comedy show called Four On The Floor with a Mr. Canoehead - who had a canoe welded to his head after he was struck by lightning while portaging. I have never seen this show.

However at the T&T game at Varsity in 2000 myself and someone else (I'll let them 'out' themselves) wore home made Canoeheads. I've worn a few since, most effectively in Edinburgh where I got a lot of attention. And one Tartan Army guy in the pub actually got the canoehead reference. Except of course I know little about Four On the Floor.

Grizzly> it was me who had the jersey exchange offer from the Belize player . . . he wanted to swap kits. I passed for a few reasons a) it was my first Canadian jersey and as a kid I had always wanted one and you just couldn't buy replicas, B) it was the 1999/2000 design when we first went back to Adidas and was no longer available in 2004 so I couldn't replace it. c) the guy didn't even play in the game and d) I'm a fat bastard and the Belize jersey never would have fit anyway. Besides who the hell wants a Belize jersey?

I recall singing "you can only score in a brothel" far more often at Belize that day, but that's a whole other story.

The Belize cuke story is (as it was explained to me, but others were there) was that one of the Toronto lads forgot their drum, so they stopped at a grocery store en route bought a large plastic garbage pail (which became a trojan horse for beer) to beat on and a bunch of supplies. They also decided to get the most random weird thing they could find in a grocery store. As in "if you were watching a match and they showed a group of fans holding something during the anthems, what's the weirdest thing you can think of." And they opted for cukes. That was the first game. Because I remember buying a single cuke at 3 a.m. at a 24-hour grocery in Toronto for the second game and the look I got from the checkout clerk . . . I guess not many people suddenly need to make a salad at 3 a.m.

And the tradition carried on throughout qualifying and made for an excellent projectile when you were displeased with Benito Archundia.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1177091762039759722oMWPGN

Thanks Krammerhead (still one of the best v's nicknames, IMHO)!

A pic of my old buddy Constable Knight, me. and CC!

So that story WAS true?!?

Something to tell the grandkids, I suppose

(Grandpa, you're not gonna tell us more stories about how Canada just barely missed out the World Cup again, are you?)

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Grizzly> it was me who had the jersey exchange offer from the Belize player . . . he wanted to swap kits. I passed for a few reasons a) it was my first Canadian jersey and as a kid I had always wanted one and you just couldn't buy replicas, B) it was the 1999/2000 design when we first went back to Adidas and was no longer available in 2004 so I couldn't replace it. c) the guy didn't even play in the game and d) I'm a fat bastard and the Belize jersey never would have fit anyway. Besides who the hell wants a Belize jersey?

Well to each their own but imagine if you wore a Belize jersey in a bar how many girls you could score when they asked you what team it was. Maybe you could have even said you were a national team player since it was an authentic jersey. It would certainly have been unique. And if it didn't work in Canada maybe it would have worked on the Belizean girls.;)

quote:

The Belize cuke story is (as it was explained to me, but others were there) was that one of the Toronto lads forgot their drum, so they stopped at a grocery store en route bought a large plastic garbage pail (which became a trojan horse for beer) to beat on and a bunch of supplies. They also decided to get the most random weird thing they could find in a grocery store. As in "if you were watching a match and they showed a group of fans holding something during the anthems, what's the weirdest thing you can think of." And they opted for cukes. That was the first game.

That sounds about right, I do remember it had something to do with that garbage can they bought as a drum.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think that was Nils something or other (can't remember the last name). He was with a Danish team in the youth leagues & some prick over there broke his legs during a game so he came back to Canada. I think he was with one of the Lynx youth teams after that.

You may also be thinking of Pietr Meuleman who was our U20 keeper & played at Wilfred Laurier, he posted here for a brief while, but I don't recall him leaving the game because of injury.

And whatever happened to Nilton Terroso?

Thanks, it was Meulman, I knew he was at Laurier and confused him with the poster WLaurier, sorry. He looked promising in his day.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Another funny Kingston thing was I went to the first game with my brother and introduced my brother to Sean Keay who was leading chants with his drums. This led to a several minute chant by 30 or 40 guys singing "Grizzly's Brother" to my brother who didn't even know who the hell Grizzly was.

Actually I think that one was my fault, I remember starting that chant in my typical silly way. This was the same game, after all, that myself & the guy who posts as Kiko did our famous "I hate Belize" song to the tune of Monty Python's "I like Chinese".

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Hell no! I ain't no northside girl guide!

For the record, I was booed and cat-called by the Guats for singing O Canada... at which point I stood directly in front of their section and gave it big licks.

First I was showered with garbage, then some punk lobbed a full water bottle at my face. So I climbed into the section two or three rows deep, went straight for him and threatened to slap the stink right off his face.

I was then hauled off by the rent-a-cops "for my own safety" and let go on the promise that I stayed out of the section for the rest of the game.

That was a crap day to be a Canadian, for sure.

Maybe Krammerhead can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember another one of our guys (Guttergob) had a knife pulled on him by a Guat in close proximity of a security guard. Our guy complained, pointed the thug out, and thew rent-a-cops didn't bother to intervene.

At least I think that's how it went....

That is what Guttergob said happened. I believe the knife was "shown" more as a scare tactic. It was pointed out to security who was too scared to do anything.

It was at this game where after chatting with you near the end of the match I walked through the empty concourse with a couple of minutes left, going for the exit too dejected to watch the end of the game, when some stinky Guat saw me with my Canadian flag and red shirt and started yelling angrily and waving his arms at me. Jerk.

Guest Ed
quote:Originally posted by Reza

Ed, we did the cards for a few years actually. You got to see the first round, but few different people got involved in the ensuing years.

Right. I should have stated that we did the FIRST set at Chinook Mall. I remember scrambling to get mail addresses for such youngsters as Richard Hastings (then, as now, with Inveress Caledonia Thistle). No disrespect to Richard, but our talent pool has grown in quality and number by leaps and bounds in the last 9 years.

Players being tracked abroad at that time (97/98) were exclusively at lower levels in England, Scotland, except for Craig Forrest at West Ham and Alex Bunbury at Maritimo, who were certainly the top of the pyramid. There were only a few youth players in Germany - the hated one at Bayern, McKenna, Hirschfeld, Nsaliwa at Cottbus. Corrazin was one of the high-profile players, specially with the 'Cobblers' in Northampton and Pesch was in the news from time to time. Nik Dasovic had a good run with the Saints in Perth. England and Scotland were the home of most of our Canucks abroad as you add in Miller and Fenwick, the youngsters Bottiglieri and Hutton and the unforgettable David Xausa flitting from club to club. England had Devos at Darlington as well as the others mentioned. And, of course, Radzinski was Voyageurs' object of scorn at that time (along with the unfortunate Geoff Aunger). Times have changed in that regard. But we were up in arms over the fact that the CSA had not hired a national team coach since Lenny Bobbaduzzi resigned after our poor performance in the Hex, so history has recently repeated itself there.

Guest Jeffery S.

Here is my contribution to a few of these issues:

To add to what Jeffery said about Fernando Aguair. The first time he posted was on the old board but Jeffery`s memory is not quite accurate in that he made quite a few posts the first time. At this time though he was very polite and explained his situation quite thoroughly with a little more honesty than one expects in such a situation and made an overall good impression. The second time if I remember correctly was in the early days of the new board and he got in some arguments with certain posters and really blew his top and made a very bad impression. At least by the second time (and maybe the first time as well) Jeffrey was in e-mail contact with him so we had some confirmation that it was really him and not some imposter.

I can't document it, as I can't find the Network 54 reference. But I am sure he had not posted before coming on and writing the words "thanks Jeffery", signing "FA". And nothing more. Noone else noticed this or commented on it, it slipped by everyone, but since the thanks was for me doing the match reports from Portugal (as he told me later), I was the only one I guess who was curious. I saw that FA and thought, could it be? So I emailed him wondering, as he'd left that possibility, and he wrote back, to my surprise. I did not mention this on the board until maybe months later.

This was towards the end of the 2000-01 season, like around April 2001, with Beira Mar (unless I am way off and in fact it was the previous year at Beira). I am sure about this as the next season he went to Benfica in December, and turned down Holger's interest in having him at the January Gold Cup as he'd just signed for the club before Xmas. And at that time I had been in contact with him for a while.

If he posted again in a friendly fashion, that is possible, but I don't recall as I guess I have heard some things first hand from him over the years (lately we maybe write 3-4 times a year, not much).

As Grizzly rightly says he posted irate and probably not appropriately after Yallop told him he would not be in the Belize mix, which he saw as the key to get ready for the qualifiers. I agree that was too bad, and wish he had held out a bit more, however much I understand his motives (he had just won the Portuguese Cup with Benfica the week before, playing 30 minutes 2nd half and all of extra time to hold off the Porto midfield, Deco included, to help the team to their first silverware in years after a long drought). That was in late May early June of 2004 (the Manchester camp had been in mid May I think).

Fernando will play another year at Gondomar in 2nd division, not sure if still on loan or now signed by them from Penafiel. He is now 35.

At one time I do remember him posting on the old board more than once in a long thread about why he wasn't playing for Canada. It may have been after the single post Jeffrey is talking about. It was a long time ago and I am not sure of the timing or details but it was during Holger's reign. He gave a pretty thorough and fair explanation about why he wasn't playing for the team and did state that he really did want to play for Canada again. He made a good impression and did win some sympathy or at least understanding from some of the posters.

The second time as you say he was very upset at not getting called by Yallop and withdrew himself from national team consideration. This was actually at a time when I still supported Yallop (yes there was a time when this was the case) and was the first of many disappointing selection decisions by Yallop to come. Aguair really flew off the handle though to be fair certain posters were goading him and flew off the handle themselves. However, it is one thing to post like that as an anonymous poster and another as a known soccer player. In retrospect many of Yallop's selection decisions proved to be suspect but at the time Aguair really lost any sympathy from the posters and seemed to justify Yallop's decision (and it is possible it was justified due to his personality even though many of Yallop's other selection decisions were not justified). I am sure some CSA types if not Yallop himself saw the posts and it must have destroyed any remaining possibility of him getting called had he changed his mind about withdrawing from the selection pool. It is interesting to speculate whether Yallop would have indeed called him had he remained in the player pool. My gut feeling is no even though with the amount of problems Yallop had with players not wanting to play for him he could have definitely used Aguair. Yet, it seemed the big problem with Aguair is that he didn't get along with Yallop's best buddy Watson. I have always maintained that Nsaliwa was never called because he was the main competition for Watson's position. Considering how badly we could have used Nsaliwa and that Yallop called USL players instead I think we can surmise Aguair was probably not going to be called even had he remained in the player pool.

Guest Jeffery S.

At one time I do remember him posting on the old board more than once in a long thread about why he wasn't playing for Canada. It may have been after the single post Jeffrey is talking about. It was a long time ago and I am not sure of the timing or details but it was during Holger's reign. He gave a pretty thorough and fair explanation about why he wasn't playing for the team and did state that he really did want to play for Canada again. He made a good impression and did win some sympathy or at least understanding from some of the posters.

The second time as you say he was very upset at not getting called by Yallop and withdrew himself from national team consideration. This was actually at a time when I still supported Yallop (yes there was a time when this was the case) and was the first of many disappointing selection decisions by Yallop to come. Aguair really flew off the handle though to be fair certain posters were goading him and flew off the handle themselves. However, it is one thing to post like that as an anonymous poster and another as a known soccer player. In retrospect many of Yallop's selection decisions proved to be suspect but at the time Aguair really lost any sympathy from the posters and seemed to justify Yallop's decision (and it is possible it was justified due to his personality even though many of Yallop's other selection decisions were not justified). I am sure some CSA types if not Yallop himself saw the posts and it must have destroyed any remaining possibility of him getting called had he changed his mind about withdrawing from the selection pool. It is interesting to speculate whether Yallop would have indeed called him had he remained in the player pool. My gut feeling is no even though with the amount of problems Yallop had with players not wanting to play for him he could have definitely used Aguair. Yet, it seemed the big problem with Aguair is that he didn't get along with Yallop's best buddy Watson. I have always maintained that Nsaliwa was never called because he was the main competition for Watson's position. Considering how badly we could have used Nsaliwa and that Yallop called USL players instead I think we can surmise Aguair was probably not going to be called even had he remained in the player pool.

Yeah, did not want to get into the whole Watson thing again. Maybe someday Radzinski could give his version, as Fernando and Tomasz were in Toronto together, broke in around the same time to the nats, and had similar problems with Watson (especially the Pole off the field). Seems they roomed together in those B Lenarduzzi call-ups for WC qualifiers and preps.

In the end you take your career for what it is worth, Aguiar got a lot of cricism at Benfica, but in the end was the 12th most used player that year under Camacho, won the Cup, and won the respect of the fans as the Robocop the team needed.

Heh. Pictures 2 and 3, you can spot the western crapheads (Current champ and I) as we've got the permanent pints of guiness in our hands. :)

Lets not forget the capper of the night. When the cops released CurrentChamp he asked them to return his dope!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Finally found the photos from the Costa Rican game, including the squad car photos.

I've added them to Webshots. I tried adding them to Facebook but it's not loading them properly for some reason.

http://community.webshots.com/album/200611380zWWQNf

Those are great, laughed hard with that one with the "Serving Burnaby" on the police car.

What shirt was he wearing, I don't recognize it?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Right. I should have stated that we did the FIRST set at Chinook Mall. I remember scrambling to get mail addresses for such youngsters as Richard Hastings (then, as now, with Inveress Caledonia Thistle). No disrespect to Richard, but our talent pool has grown in quality and number by leaps and bounds in the last 9 years.

Players being tracked abroad at that time (97/98) were exclusively at lower levels in England, Scotland, except for Craig Forrest at West Ham and Alex Bunbury at Maritimo, who were certainly the top of the pyramid. There were only a few youth players in Germany - the hated one at Bayern, McKenna, Hirschfeld, Nsaliwa at Cottbus. Corrazin was one of the high-profile players, specially with the 'Cobblers' in Northampton and Pesch was in the news from time to time. Nik Dasovic had a good run with the Saints in Perth. England and Scotland were the home of most of our Canucks abroad as you add in Miller and Fenwick, the youngsters Bottiglieri and Hutton and the unforgettable David Xausa flitting from club to club. England had Devos at Darlington as well as the others mentioned. And, of course, Radzinski was Voyageurs' object of scorn at that time (along with the unfortunate Geoff Aunger). Times have changed in that regard. But we were up in arms over the fact that the CSA had not hired a national team coach since Lenny Bobbaduzzi resigned after our poor performance in the Hex, so history has recently repeated itself there.

Up the Cobblers !!!(My 'Brilliant' home town team.) It's been along old team since Northampton Town has been mentioned on this board. Thats made my day and how 'sad' that is:D. I remember the days when I used to trek over to Sixfields to see my team play. I never would have thought that they would sign a Canadian player in a million years. He was one of the best strikers to play for NTFC

I have to admit this is an interesting thread and an excellent read.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Those are great, laughed hard with that one with the "Serving Burnaby" on the police car.

What shirt was he wearing, I don't recognize it?

Is there any way someone could photoshop the picture and change the

"Serving Burnaby" tag to "Serving Voyageurs" and post it on this

board? Thanks.

This is definitely a thread that is long overdue. Thank you to everyone who contributed to it and whoever it was who started it. I could look, but I'm not at all a computer person, and I would fork something up if I tried. Anyway, yes it was Varsity Stadium where the two friendlies were that I mentioned, thank you. There is some room at one end of the Super Canucks banner for a maple leaf that was started, but there was never enough time to add it.

Let's try this again:

The first Canadian soccer internet site was Canada Kicks.

Mehrdad Masoudi's CSA site, Stadium North pre-dated the Voyageurs for Canadian soccer message board. Mehrdad had high hopes for Stadium North, as it was the first of it's kind for Canadian soccer. Unfortunetly it became a sounding board for attacking the CSA.

As expected, it was heavily censored by the CSA.

The Voyageurs were born soon after, and in 1996, I remember the on-line vote that took place to name the Voyageurs. I can't recall the other options, but Voyageurs won comfortably. Since this time, a lot of people have come and gone. Outside of Reza, I don't know of anyone today that was around for that original vote. (someone posted two names, but I don't see these individuals posting. What name do they post under ?)

Our first organized action was the Owen Hargreaves petition. This garnered the Voyageurs national media attention. At the time it was considered a huge success. Never before had the Voyageurs undertaken such action. It looked like OH was going to Wales, but the petition appeared to stop him in his tracks. Of course, that was before England entered the picture.

The Christmas card tradition started soon after, and was another success. A number of players visited the site to thank the Voyageurs. Not sure when, or if we ended this, but obviously there are a lot more Canadians overseas now than 10 years ago.

quote:Originally posted by vancanman

This is definitely a thread that is long overdue. Thank you to everyone who contributed to it and whoever it was who started it. I could look, but I'm not at all a computer person, and I would fork something up if I tried. Anyway, yes it was Varsity Stadium where the two friendlies were that I mentioned, thank you. There is some room at one end of the Super Canucks banner for a maple leaf that was started, but there was never enough time to add it.

I'm guessing that this is Julian. Looks like you're in Japan at the moment. I feel bad that I have your banner. I'm taking good care of it. I promise. I'll try to get that maple leaf put on it. How ya doin anyway?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Let's try this again, and hopefully some stunned c*nt won't delete my post again:

The first Canadian soccer internet site was Canada Kicks.

Mehrdad Masoudi's CSA site, Stadium North pre-dated the Voyageurs for Canadian soccer message board. Mehrdad had high hopes for Stadium North, as it was the first of it's kind for Canadian soccer. Unfortunetly it became a sounding board for attacking the CSA.

As expected, it was heavily censored by the CSA.

Not my usual sarcastic attack but actually a question - how did the CSA censor a private site? Or was it connected to the CSA site somehow? I'm confused.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Not my usual sarcastic attack but actually a question - how did the CSA censor a private site? Or was it connected to the CSA site somehow? I'm confused.

Stadium North was part of the CSA site. It was a side project of Mehrdad Masoudi, who was the Communication/Media man for the CSA. Not sure how many people here remember him.

A former Iranian prison guard during the Iran-Iraq war, prior to coming to Canada.

Mehrdad was a passionate supporter of Canada and Canadian soccer, and his is an interesting story. Mehrdad used to follow the Ottawa Intrepid of the CSL, where he would sell his CSL newspaper (that he owned & published). I remember in the day stumbling across them at the Winnipeg Fury office. It was the first time in my life I had seen any print-media (however small) attention focuseed soley on Canadian soccer. Needless to say, I was elated ! For me, it was like a dream come true. The publication was very modest, but packed with information on Canadian soccer and the CSL. I would love to get my hands on them today !

One day at an Ottawa Intrepid match, Kevin Pipe stumbled across Mehrdad selling his soccer newspaper, and hired Mehrdad on the spot. Probably the best move KP ever made.

Once working with the CSA, Mehrdad also printed a CSA publication called Soccer Canada. Once a number of people in the private sector wanted to start printing Canadian soccer material, Mehrdad and the CSA stopped publication. If you can find some old copies, there is some quality information in them.