Sign in to follow this  
BrennanFan

Voyageurs History and Mythology Explained

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

He might have been arrested during the Guatamala game, but I was away on my honeymoon, and I'm damned certain he wasn't there. (He certainly wasn't invited.) For sure he was arrested at the Costa Rica game. After the second Tico goal, I believe.

I have some pictures of all of this somewhere at home, including a couple of good shots of Champ with a cut on his forehead sitting in the back of a squad car. One of the cops threatened to arrest me for taking photos. It was a fun time.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I think it was during the Guatemala game in Swangard. Unless

Current Champ got arrested more than once ...

Current Champ can even tell you his exploits at the hostel before

the game, but that's another tale.;)

Yeah those stories had a common thread. The hostel....the sky train or bus or whatever it was....somehow he JUST missed out on sex with a beautiful lady. Go figure......mensa and all

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well you are wrong. Reza and I mailed out Christmas cards to Cdn players overseas from 'the Voyageurs' back in 1998 (or was 1997?). We did in fact have a Voyageurs gathering in Calgary to watch a game in the 98 WC. The group was founded by Reza and/or his buddies well prior to that.

Ok great! You're right about the name, it was prior to 2000. But the Hargreaves issue? Was that a different issue?

Regarding the banners,first of all I just keep them for the group. I did not make them.I've just volunteered to put them up and take them down at as many Canada games that I can get to.If anyone wants me to return them please let me know. Otherwise I am perfectly happy lugging them around through airports.:)(Thanks to all those who have assisted in putting them up and taking them down.)

We have:1 banner that simply say Voyageurs. It measures approx. 2' x12'.It was removed by the CSA at the Brazil v Canada U20 friendly in May 2006 because only sponsors signage was allowed at field level.

We have:1 red and white checkered banner that measures approx. 8' x 20'

We have:1 "SUPER CANUCKS" banner that measures approx. 10' x 40'

Together,the 3 banners weigh approx 15lbs. when dry.

The banners have been to Burnaby,Edmonton,Toronto,Seattle.One of them may have been in Kingston as well. Cannot remember.

JohnnieMonster got hauled away and made to watch the remaining game from the southwest corner of the stadium during the Guatemala game supposedly for his "own protection). Which was utter crap. Current Champ was hauled away at the Costa Rica game and I do believe the cops did kneel on his head at one time.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I have some pictures of all of this somewhere at home, including a couple of good shots of Champ with a cut on his forehead sitting in the back of a squad car. One of the cops threatened to arrest me for taking photos. It was a fun time.

We need those on the Facebook page...

And thanks guys for all these stories, it has been a blast reading them.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Where did Doyle disappear to? Plotting to blow up BMO, perhaps?

He's still infesting BigSoccer.

Oops yes I guess I must be by far the oldest on this board or maybe any soccer board,but i have said this before that for some crazy reason I am told that I don't look any older than maybe 50 or so. Must be that soccer stuff fighting for the recognition of our game,so if you guys want to stay as young looking as I am well try to become a Canadian soccer team or soccer in general promotor.I am afreaid that by maintaining these looks booze is out.

So again the secret to life is,promote soccer.

and yes in two or so months i will be 70,scary stuff,but guys girls don't mind at all,they like older men a heck of a lot.

But there is going to be a time that yours truly won't be able to carry on and that is where some of you have to figure this out and take over this crazy thing having to promote Canadian soccer.

Tomorrow night there will be a CSA media conference and I am looking forward to this. Where has that media been all this week or last three weeks.

This is so crazy. I ask about thirty people today did they know that there were world championship soccer games being played in Toronto and only three knew. Terrible.

Alfons told me that the Sun had some kind of an insert last week end and he said it was also terrible.

Anyway not changing that subject I thought these observations were hilarious and I do know that the Guzman boys are reading this forum once in a while and Bobby every day.

Friday morning the Robbie media conference and than Robbie and WC all week end.

Hey Jeffrey right on and Grizzly wait till you see our stadium,for the first time we beat the French Canadians in a major stadium. Levoila.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Hey Jeffrey right on and Grizzly wait till you see our stadium,for the first time we beat the French Canadians in a major stadium. Levoila.

Took me awhile to figure out what you meant by this but I think you mean that finally Toronto built a better stadium than the French Canadians. Actually, I don't think the French Canadians have a very good record in building stadiums. The BigO certainly is not so great, CCR nothing to scream about, Molson is an average stadium in a very nice location and built (or at least funded) by English Montrealers, Bell Centre is decent but still only an average stadium by NHL standards. Don't know if the rest of the province has any nice stadiums but the only really good stadium in Quebec I can remember is the Forum which is now a giant movie threatre. I am looking forward to seeing BMO though, maybe we can drink a beer together if you aren't too worried about your figure.

By the way I have it on good inside information that Loud Mouth Soup still finds you cute John despite the difference in age ;). Actually I bet you really miss him posting here, the forum sure is different without multiple page threads of LMS and John arguing.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I ask about thirty people today did they know that there were world championship soccer games being played in Toronto and only three knew. Terrible.

Those other 27 people must be wilfully or actually blind then. Or living in a convent or something, because everywhere I go in the city I see adverts for it & hear people talking about it.

Just tell them to drive on the DVP near Eglinton

The Super Canucks banner was made very hastily in one night. Its first match was Canada - Australia WCQ in Edmonton. Accompanying that banner was a very clever banner with a picture of a pipe with the words "Pipe out". How well did the Pipe Out banner work? Pipe was sacked 14 years later and the banner was removed by security before half time. The Super Canucks banner's next matches were friendlies in Toronto at Exhibition Stadium against Germany and then against Holland in the pouring rain, and the Dutch supporters used it as a tent...bastards. The next match was against Brazil just before the 1994 World Cup. TRIVIA QUESTION: Who scored the goal to draw Canada level? TRIVIA: After the match the Brazilians were too vain to exchange shirts or even shake hands with the Canadian players.

quote:Originally posted by vancanman

The Super Canucks banner was made very hastily in one night. Its first match was Canada - Australia WCQ in Edmonton. Accompanying that banner was a very clever banner with a picture of a pipe with the words "Pipe out". How well did the Pipe Out banner work? Pipe was sacked 14 years later and the banner was removed by security before half time. The Super Canucks banner's next matches were friendlies in Toronto at Exhibition Stadium against Germany and then against Holland in the pouring rain, and the Dutch supporters used it as a tent...bastards. The next match was against Brazil just before the 1994 World Cup. TRIVIA QUESTION: Who scored the goal to draw Canada level? TRIVIA: After the match the Brazilians were too vain to exchange shirts or even shake hands with the Canadian players.

The answer to your question is, of course, Eddy Berdusco.

And the Toronto games in question were played at Varsity. It's kinda cool that we have a banner with such history. The last match it made an appearance was the U20 friendly between Argentina and Canada at BMO Field on May 11.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Wasn't there a story how Luis Rancagua got his name off a tombstone?

I remember that post. He said he used to work as a grave digger I think.

Just so to be clear on the one question I can answer.

The history page of this site is fairly accurate on its origins. I started the website in 1996 at UofA and then one thing led to another and we gathered a group 30-40 people for Canada - Panama qualifying in August 1996.

I used to be heavily involved with this, but then life just got too busy and other people like Jarrek came along with web skills far more superior than mine who took over the day to day managing of the site. Jarrek actually is hosting this site on his own servers as he is in the web business. I used to pay for the website itself for a few years and got a few dollars worth of ads to pay for some of its costs, before passing it off to Jarrek. I don't think the internet ads pay much or at least they never did in the old days. I think at one point Google Ads actually paid pretty good but I am not sure if that is still the case.

I do currently own the domain name however, but that's a 15 dollars per year thing cost for me which is not

huge.

As for the name itself, it was selected by Martin Rose from Vancouver who now lives in UK from what I understand. It was his suggestion and we voted for it back in 1996.

Ed, we did the cards for a few years actually. You got to see the first round, but few different people got involved in the ensuing years.

As for the umbrella question..well, not. Canadian soccer has evolved in different ways over the last 11 years. The voyageurs concept though was/is to raise to awareness of Canadian soccer, to get the fans together. I think to some extent it did and initiated some stuff and helped galvanize pockets of support, but then the rest is all local.

So Reza, where do you think we should go now? I call for formal organization, something which I was always for in the past.

Well, does a formal organization require membership fees? If so, then one must look at all issues such as transparency and how we will guarantee that. Also, fees are exclusive stuff, so even a small $5 fee might alienate or exclude some people.

It's all upto people and what they want. It's definitely a much better climate now than it was in 1996, but it is still a long ways from being soccer friendly climate though.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It was Red Hat and I who first met her in Boston along with another individual( Canuck in Boston i think). She dropped by and talked to others to other venues

quote:Originally posted by redhat

-- Luis Rancagua is a passionate Toronto fan who's real name is Pat Carrasco. Sorry, blew your cover. ;)

-- J

Who used to work at CIBC in the contact centre... sorry blew more cover:D

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Well you are wrong. Reza and I mailed out Christmas cards to Cdn players overseas from 'the Voyageurs' back in 1998 (or was 1997?). We did in fact have a Voyageurs gathering in Calgary to watch a game in the 98 WC. The group was founded by Reza and/or his buddies well prior to that.

It's been Voyageurs since before 1997. I think the first appearance of a banner was at the Canada/Costa Rica WCQ in June 1997 in Edmonton. I drove up from Calgary and it was the first real soccer game I'd ever seen live. I remember Reza bought me a ticket to sit with the group -- we had never met except via the board and through e-mail but he never even asked me to pay in advance. We just met before the game where I got the ticket and paid outside the stadium.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Not sure whatever happened to Johnnie Monster after he got hauled away...I see someone posting under his name every now and then, but I heard that the cops burried him under the NORTH goal at Swangard.

Hell no! I ain't no northside girl guide!

For the record, I was booed and cat-called by the Guats for singing O Canada... at which point I stood directly in front of their section and gave it big licks.

First I was showered with garbage, then some punk lobbed a full water bottle at my face. So I climbed into the section two or three rows deep, went straight for him and threatened to slap the stink right off his face.

I was then hauled off by the rent-a-cops "for my own safety" and let go on the promise that I stayed out of the section for the rest of the game.

That was a crap day to be a Canadian, for sure.

Maybe Krammerhead can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember another one of our guys (Guttergob) had a knife pulled on him by a Guat in close proximity of a security guard. Our guy complained, pointed the thug out, and thew rent-a-cops didn't bother to intervene.

At least I think that's how it went....