Sign in to follow this  
BrennanFan

Voyageurs History and Mythology Explained

Please answer/explain/elaborate:

- Did Fernando Aguiar really post here or was that a hoax?

- Who got the jersey Pozniak gave away on here?

- What is the significance of the Belize Series Cucumber?

- Who got arrested at the Edm (or Van) WCQ match and why?

- Who is/are North Boys? what is his/their affiliation with the Voyageurs? does the North Boys continue to exist?

- Why did Stalteri's wife post here and not Stalteri?

- Who was that mystery U20 team member who posted here last year?

- Who is Luis Rancagua really?

- Is John TV one of the most passionate supporters of Canadian soccer ever, who has accomplished more towards organizing and publicizing the game than most of us ever will- or is he just some drunk guy off his meds who sees grass in different colours?

- Did Dave Simpson post here as a Voyageur before he 'made it'?

- Do members of USector/RPB/Ultras Montreal/Southside continue to regard the Voyageurs as an umbrella organization encompassing their groups? As a separate organization in which some are also members? Or as a non entity?

- Who the hell owns this site really? Is it run from out of pocket expenses?

- How/Why did the V's banner get removed by the CSA, and was there resistance to this?

Relatedly...

- How many banners do we have, and could we use another?

And Finally:

- Who in the hell is Joey Torchia, who originally brought him up on the board, and where is he now?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

- Is John TV one of the most passionate supporters of Canadian soccer ever, who has accomplished more towards organizing and publicizing the game than most of us ever will- or is he just some drunk guy off his meds who sees grass in different colours?

I can't tell you how long I have wanted to know this...

Let me help you:

-- Yes Aguiar posted here and emailed a few of us, after what he felt was disrespectful comments

about him

-- Don't know who won the Poz jersey, but the lookalike contest was hilarious

(eg. RYAN Keay's entry: Nicole Hartrell = Mrs. Costanza (George's mom in Seinfeld))

-- The Belize Cucumber is best explained by one of the Toronto boyz ...

-- Who was arrested in Vancouver : Johnnie Monster and Current Champ ... because security and the

CSA were being TOTAL DI*KS ! Imagine the visiting fans complaining to security about Canadian fans!

-- About Stalteri's wife, Christina posted as "7", Paul's number at Bremen and Tottenham.

Paul's too busy (probably) to post, but does check out the board and Christina does/did a great job

keeping us updated. Don't forget they just had a baby (last year?), so they have less time.

-- Luis Rancagua is a passionate Toronto fan who's real name is Pat Carrasco. Sorry, blew your cover. ;)

-- JohnTV is real, I'm afraid. ;)

-- As I understand, the Voyageurs was started by Reza Khalili from Edmonton and "owns" the site/name

-- the number of banners : 2, I think. Better ask VancouverFan. Could we use another: hell yeah.

WE ALSO NEED A HUGE CANADIAN FLAG to drape across our section.

-- Generally members of Southside/USector, etc. consider the V's as a separate organization.

-- Yes Dave Simpson posted here before he became a "star"

-- The V's banner incident: a CSA official orders the removal of

the banner, despite being there for over 3/4 of the match .

The part not communicated: the fence where the banner

was is reserved for paying sponsors. CSA has poor communication

skills ... could have assisted a transfer of banner location instead.

And finally:

The legend of Joey Torchia : in late 90s and early 2000 a talented Winnipegger was playing in the

Argentine 2nd Division and the board got very excited and urged the CSA to check him out, kinda like

the case of Tony Meneszes. Well, Joey's back in Winnipeg, apparently enjoying his automobile vocation.

Every time a Voyageur notices an uncapped Canadian playing abroad, we are always reminded of the famous Joey Torchia.

- Johnny Monster and Current Champ were singing too loudly.

- The banner was asked to be removed at the home WCQ in 2004 because to them it represented advertising. I think it was either a FIFA delegate or CSA idiot.

- Stalteri's wife came around to all the Canadian fans during the WCQ 2004 and handed out autographs of Paul to us. I thought that was pretty classy. Photo: http://sports.webshots.com/photo/1185485016058694687MuhjVu

- I don't know about Dave Simpson, but Daniel Fernandes used to post quite often when he was younger as far as I know.

- The site is maintained and operated by Jarrek. It has been funded by donations and advertising revenue. I'm not sure who "Owns" the web domain etc., but this is a big reason for incorporation. It should be owned by the non-profit corporation. Many of the people that posted Frequently when I was first on the forums in 2000 no longer post.

- There have been a few other players making postings in the past. DeVos thanked us for a Christmas card we had sent. Stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that many players read this site for news.

Edited to add Photo

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Please answer/explain/elaborate:

- Did Fernando Aguiar really post here or was that a hoax?

- Who got the jersey Pozniak gave away on here?

- What is the significance of the Belize Series Cucumber?

- Who got arrested at the Edm (or Van) WCQ match and why?

- Who is/are North Boys? what is his/their affiliation with the Votageurs? does the North Boys continue to exist?

- Why did Stalteri's wife post here and not Stalteri?

- Who was that mystery U20 team member who posted here last year?

- Who is Luis Rancagua really?

- Did Dave Simpson post here as a Voyageur before he 'made it'?

- Do members of USector/RPB/Ultras Montreal/Southside continue to regard the Voyageurs as an umbrella organization encompassing their groups? As a separate organization in which some are also members? Or as a non entity?

- Who the hell owns this site really? Is it run from out of pocket expenses?

- How/Why did the V's banner get removed by the CSA, and was there resistance to this?

Relatedly...

- How many banners do we have, and could we use another?

And Finally:

- Who in the hell is Joey Torchia, who originally brought him up on the board, and where is he now?

-Yes, posting with his first name. A couple of times. First I recall was when I was posting on Canadians Abroad about him at Beira Mar, and he came on the old Network54 board and said thanks, nothing more. But had registered with his e-mail address accessible. So I wrote him. He also posted notoriously and pissed off after being left off of the team to face Belize, which he felt was a slight. He probably went overboard there, but was irate.

-

-

-Think it was Current Champ for a run in with security after a WC qualifier. Those there can clarify.

-The North Boys know who they are. We miss you too, guys. Damn funny stuff.

-Stalteri's wife posted I think because she had met some Voyageurs at a WC qualifier, think some of our Toronto boys met her, like Gianluca. Also think she had a role in updating his web, and this was when he was still at Bremen, so she clarified something. Her name, I think, is Christine, or Cristina?

-

-Luis knows who he is. We know he is over a certain age as he is a Blizzard fan, and has some contacts with ex-Blizzard players. He once mentioned he was working on a doctorate. The name is an homage to someone, not sure who, a Chilean footballer or something? Elusive for some as few in TO have met him and some doubt his corporality.

-JohnTV is probably the senior member of this board, in age. He also happens to have some decent football contacts, like it or not. Not only is the media biased against soccer, but the Voyageurs often are biased against those who say so.

-Don't remember about Dave Simpson. I think Pozniak once said thank you for a Xmas card. And someone else for the same reason. Josh Simpson's brother used to post. Thunder DAn's friends reminded us we were haters. Any more?

-Noone regards the Voyageurs as an umbrella of anything. Because we are not. We are more a web community than a real one, though sometimes virtuality does lead to physicality. We even have a banner somewhere.

-Ownership, not sure. Seems like we are paying for it from donations, and from some ad revenue. Someday Reza has to rewrite the site's/project's history in detail for us all. I have heard it but I forget quickly.

-Think a V-Banner was taken down at Swangard for WC qualifying last time, supposedly for blocking advertising.

Canadian fans get treated like crap by CAnadian authorities, who then let the foreign contingents get away with more as a courtesy. Embarrassing and shameful. Hope we do NOT see that for the u-20 WC.

-Banners. Good question.

-Joey Torchia I think is from Winnipeg, or played semi-pro/amateur there. He went to play in Brazil and did a season, if I am not mistaken, at Figuerense or some team like that. Then went to play in the interior of Brazil in a team in a provincial league, a few tiers down. There was hope he'd do better. Am I mistaking him with someone else? A symbol of someone we had hopes for but never made it, who got lost along the way. Where is Joey Torchia now?

You forgot to ask the origin of the joke "5-0 Portugal".

I have tons of gaps, this is a start for the wiser to build on.

Also. When I created the Facebook account, I re-read the "History" page. Most of the information is correct, but it seems that the dates are all off by a couple of years.

Alot of the things that occured in the "History" section occured post 2000. I thought the name of our group, "Voyageurs" was chosen in 2000? Also the Hargreaves issue, wasn't that 2001 and not 1999?

I think Dave Simpson first started posting on the Usector board (or Ultras as it was then called) when he played for the Lynx. I also believe the Hartrells put a gag order on him posting there. Then he started to post here.

As for the cucumber, someone brought one to the first Belize match in Kingston (not sure why, possibly to eat - I think it was Marc P. who did so) and though to use it when cheering. By the second match a whole bunch of people had brought a cucumber to wave at the crowd with.

As for Luis, nobody in Toronto has met him. Of all the regular posters who claim to go out to games, he stands alone in this regard.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think Dave Simpson first started posting on the Usector board (or Ultras as it was then called) when he played for the Lynx. I also believe the Hartrells put a gag order on him posting there. Then he started to post here.

As for the cucumber, someone brought one to the first Belize match in Kingston (not sure why, possibly to eat - I think it was Marc P. who did so) and though to use it when cheering. By the second match a whole bunch of people had brought a cucumber to wave at the crowd with.

As for Luis, nobody in Toronto has met him. Of all the regular posters who claim to go out to games, he stands alone in this regard.

When and where did you meet Stalteri's wife, G-L?

Think it was just CC who got arrested in Vancouver.

I'd imagine in five years people will be talking about the first scarf order as part of our history/mythology. Pity.

Guest Jeffery S.

Another player who regularly posted here and was quite incisive was Rick Titus. Did appreciate that, he was open about his career, other players, teams.

Didn't we have a keeper on the youth radar a few years back, think he was at W. Laurier and posted under that name. He got an injury and had to leave the game? Name was German, Flemish, something like that?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Another player who regularly posted here and was quite incisive was Rick Titus. Did appreciate that, he was open about his career, other players, teams.

Didn't we have a keeper on the youth radar a few years back, think he was at W. Laurier and posted under that name. He got an injury and had to leave the game? Name was German, Flemish, something like that?

Maybe there was such a keeper but it's not me. I'm just an ordinary fan who lurks and posts once in a blue moon.

Guest Ed
quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Also. When I created the Facebook account, I re-read the "History" page. Most of the information is correct, but it seems that the dates are all off by a couple of years.

Alot of the things that occured in the "History" section occured post 2000. I thought the name of our group, "Voyageurs" was chosen in 2000? Also the Hargreaves issue, wasn't that 2001 and not 1999?

Well you are wrong. Reza and I mailed out Christmas cards to Cdn players overseas from 'the Voyageurs' back in 1998 (or was 1997?). We did in fact have a Voyageurs gathering in Calgary to watch a game in the 98 WC. The group was founded by Reza and/or his buddies well prior to that.

When and where did you meet Stalteri's wife, G-L?

At the 2003 Gold Cup in Foxboro, but there were a bunch of us who were there at the time, including Free Kick. I think she met a few other posters on numerous other occasions as well.

We also met Hastings' girlfriend (wonder if they've gotten married since?) and McKenna's parents.

I think David Edgar posted here after we shocked him somewhat by recognizing him outside the stadium in Kingston at the second Belize match (the one where the photos of Bircham boozing it up with the Keays which are now on the facebook site were taken). He actually asked me how it was that I recognized him, and told him it was the fault of Soccercentral for doing a feature on him a couple of years earlier. Standing next to him was a silent Jamie Peters - a name we'd heard about at the time, but none us knew what he looked like. I figured he was a player in the youth team pool however since he was talking to Edgar and then later introduced Yallop to Edgar (whereas Peters & Yallop had already met, apparently). Little did we know that Peters would be playing in the next qualifying match.

That was quite the post-game activity. That was also the night several of the Voyageurs implored Stalteri to do a dirty two-foot challenge on Hargreaves the next time they faced each other in the Bundesliga, and I can also recall the bemused expression of Peschisolido's face when several of the boys sang to him "His name is Peschi - Peschisolido! He's going to get the ball over to De Ro!" to the tune of Copa Cabana.

Was there when Current Champ got arrested. Was he drunk at the time? Yes, very, but that is beside the point, or at best, only a minor contributing factor. Truth of the matter, he more or less decided to take on a whole stand of Costa Rican fans, actually jumped onto the track in front of them and screamed something I cannot quite recall--it may have been inhuman and guttural. While his mouth was open in mid-scream, some Tico punk tossed an entire beer in Current Champ's face. At which point it looked like he'd kill the kid and everyone in the stands who may or may not have been responsible for the kid's conception. (Kid looked like a freaky backwoods, okie type. Either that, or Costa Rican.) I think it was right around then--I could be mistaken--that a security dude grabbed him, and then the cops. I've never seen a grown man's arm bend at such angles. Current Champ might not be cut, but he's got some powerful mass to him, and he gave the cops a tough time. Am I right in thinking that one of them kneeled on his head?

Other important bits of history/mythology we should get out of the way before the next tournament starts: When we do predictions, mine will always favor the opposing team, purely out of some stupid reverse superstition bs. this started for the game against Libya, which we won, and will continue until somebody shoots me in the nards.

Luis Rancagua, from what I understand, IS the Belize cucumber--but his heart is in the right place.

I think that was Nils something or other (can't remember the last name). He was with a Danish team in the youth leagues & some prick over there broke his legs during a game so he came back to Canada. I think he was with one of the Lynx youth teams after that.

You may also be thinking of Pietr Meuleman who was our U20 keeper & played at Wilfred Laurier, he posted here for a brief while, but I don't recall him leaving the game because of injury.

And whatever happened to Nilton Terroso?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

And whatever happened to Nilton Terroso?

Still in Portugal? Had Nilton lived in Vancouver for most of his life, I suspect he could have become quite the player, but one can develop only so much playing in Prince George, BC. (Richard Hastings's home town, but I believe he got out early, did he not?)

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Just as a note, I was the one responsible for the Costanza/Hartrell comparison and it won me the Poz jersey.

My bad, I mistook you for your brother.[:I]

Great comparison (Costanza-Hartrell), the De Vos-Timothy McVey

one funny and creepy at the same time.;)

I believe Cst. Knight and Current Champ now exchange Christmas Cards. I also remember Nolando stepping up and doing his best to diffuse the situation with the officers although, as I had a camera with me, I was really hoping they would do a Rodney King on the Champ so I could make a little cash from the Tabloids. Not sure whatever happened to Johnnie Monster after he got hauled away...I see someone posting under his name every now and then, but I heard that the cops burried him under the NORTH goal at Swangard.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

My bad, I mistook you for your brother.[:I]

Great comparison (Costanza-Hartrell), the De Vos-Timothy McVey

one funny and creepy at the same time.;)

Loved the Devos-McVey comparison, if only because the two characters are so damned different. There were a few Poz comparisons, too, which Poz accepted with good humour. In fact, Poz should pitch this idea to the MLSE brass for TFC--a sort of fun web-promotion to help fans get to know their team. Only problem: who knows how long anybody will be with the team?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Was there when Current Champ got arrested. Was he drunk at the time? Yes, very, but that is beside the point, or at best, only a minor contributing factor. Truth of the matter, he more or less decided to take on a whole stand of Costa Rican fans, actually jumped onto the track in front of them and screamed something I cannot quite recall--it may have been inhuman and guttural.

I think it was during the Guatemala game in Swangard. Unless

Current Champ got arrested more than once ...

Current Champ can even tell you his exploits at the hostel before

the game, but that's another tale.;)

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Not sure whatever happened to Johnnie Monster after he got hauled away...I see someone posting under his name every now and then, but I heard that the cops burried him under the NORTH goal at Swangard.

Yes, in fact, the JohnnieMonster who posts here is actually Son of JohnnieMonster. Beware the sequel.

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I think it was during the Guatemala game in Swangard. Unless

Current Champ got arrested more than once ...

Current Champ can even tell you his exploits at the hostel before

the game, but that's another tale.;)

He might have been arrested during the Guatamala game, but I was away on my honeymoon, and I'm damned certain he wasn't there. (He certainly wasn't invited.) For sure he was arrested at the Costa Rica game. After the second Tico goal, I believe.

Nils Binstock... I believe he's currently on an NCAA scholarship...