Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jeffery S.

Voyageurs Protest Letter: reactions and references

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Got a tip on this thread on the Ontario Soccer Web, check the post May 10 by squid, this is rich.

http://www.ontariosoccerweb.com/ost/viewtopic.php?t=4264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Is this the same squid we have seen here lately?

Who were the 5 guys at the AGM dressed in TFC jerseys singing "All we are saying, is give us a coach"?

Well done whoever that was.

This thread is winding in a direction that I find really funny. This is a *message board* started by Canadian Soccer Supporters. Message boards are at least a bit idiotic by definition. Every message board attracts nutters and there are always fights and profanity. It is what it is. The suggestion that the Voyageurs could be an official society if only the board were cleaned up is not only rubbish, but impossible.

The Canadian Soccer Supporters who started the board, correct me if I'm wrong, are all U-Sector members and always have been. When Canada plays in Vancouver, the flags and cheers are brought by the Southsiders -most of whom post here very rarely, if at all. To me this means that when Canada supporters gather at a match, they are Voyageurs. It doesn't matter whether they post on some retarded message board.

And if the Canada supporters at tonight's match haven't heard of the name Voyageurs, I assume they will shortly. I think Nazz is probably setting up the banners as we speak :D GB his kind soul...

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

This thread is winding in a direction that I find really funny. This is a *message board* started by Canadian Soccer Supporters. Message boards are at least a bit idiotic by definition. Every message board attracts nutters and there are always fights and profanity. It is what it is. The suggestion that the Voyageurs could be an official society if only the board were cleaned up is not only rubbish, but impossible.

The Canadian Soccer Supporters who started the board, correct me if I'm wrong, are all U-Sector members and always have been. When Canada plays in Vancouver, the flags and cheers are brought by the Southsiders -most of whom post here very rarely, if at all. To me this means that when Canada supporters gather at a match, they are Voyageurs. It doesn't matter whether they post on some retarded message board.

And if the Canada supporters at tonight's match haven't heard of the name Voyageurs, I assume they will shortly. I think Nazz is probably setting up the banners as we speak :D GB his kind soul...

Well I suppose your right afterall, there is no sence in taking message boards overly serious. The initial point that I was getting at was trying to explain why we have remained so small. And in the end, being small also has its benefits. But still, I am astounded at how fast and how big a supporters group for a club can grow in canada. You can say the same for the Impact supporters groups.

But when it comes to the national teams, its another story. That is a little puzzling. Further puzzling is the fact that interest, as determined by ticket sales for the U20, has been very strong just like interest for TFC. Yet, TFC's supporters groups have mushroomed but the National teams groups ( judging by new people here) have not. Thats hard one to figure. Cripes, They have sold 600,000 tix for the U20, who bought them?

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well I suppose your right afterall, there is no sence in taking message boards overly serious. The initial point that I was getting at was trying to explain why we have remained so small. And in the end, being small also has its benefits. But still, I am astounded at how fast and how big a supporters group for a club can grow in canada. You can say the same for the Impact supporters groups.

But when it comes to the national teams, its another story. That is a little puzzling. Further puzzling is the fact that interest, as determined by ticket sales for the U20, has been very strong just like interest for TFC. Yet, TFC's supporters groups have mushroomed but the National teams groups ( judging by new people here) have not. Thats hard one to figure. Cripes, They have sold 600,000 tix for the U20, who bought them?

The single greatest reasons why support for our club teams grows so much faster than that of our National team: our club teams play regularly in Canada; and they win lots of games. (Well, TFC is a special exception: they will certainly need to win games if they expect to hold the great support they've already started to build.)

The Canadian Soccer Supporters who started the board, correct me if I'm wrong, are all U-Sector members and always have been.

The Voyageurs board & group was started by Reza, who is based in Edmonton. He's never been a member of U-sector.

The Voyageurs banner will be right next to the U-Sector banner, as Nazz will be in our section for tonight's match. :D

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The Voyageurs board & group was started by Reza, who is based in Edmonton. He's never been a member of U-sector.

I thought the Keays started this version of the board? Well, whatever, my point was just that U-Sector and Southsiders have been here since the beginning.

Guest Jeffery S.

Outstanding article by Ben, and very well written I think. His comparisons with other sports are well taken too.

What I especially like is how he did the piece without losing his basic style, which is always passionate about the game itself and colourful about the people who love it. Good work.

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys.

A thousand pardons for wrecking on Hart's name. Of course I know better. It's not always easy to explain how a mistake like that gets made. Suffice to say, it happens to all us writers, more often than you know. It's supposed to get caught before it hits the air.

My apologies, Mr. Hart!

Onward! // Ben

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Well the TFC groups can offer their members MNT news, discussion, co-ordinated access to MNT games, group events, and road-trips to MNT games. Unless Voyageurs can offer the same then their isn't much value to a TFC fan in being active in this group as a an MNT supporters group. I only post here because I happen to have heard about Vs first, a few years ago. If I had just joined Usector from the start I wouldn't see any reason to be active here at all. I guess this group has to figure out what it wants to be. If it is happy being an advocacy-type group rather than a supporters group then it shouldn't be concerned with numbers. It should focus instead on being it close to the pulse of ordinary MNT supporters, both Vs members and non-members alike.

I understand what you are saying here and my last post was not to argue against these points but to say that I disagree with the idea that simply having someone mederate more on this board would make us much more credible, and therefore our membership would grow.

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

A thousand pardons for wrecking on Hart's name. Of course I know better. It's not always easy to explain how a mistake like that gets made. Suffice to say, it happens to all us writers, more often than you know. It's supposed to get caught before it hits the air.

My apologies, Mr. Hart!

Onward! // Ben

I just read your article, Mr. Knight, and I think it is great.

Thank you for joining our plight against the CSA's actions (and in many cases, inaction).

Hopefully, we can put enough pressure on the CSA to force them into making decisions that actually have the best interest of Canadian soccer at heart.

Great job guys.

I've been too busy trying to get caught up at work recently that I haven't been able to follow the forum at all. This is definitely a great step for the V's and proves that we can accomplish a lot with a little bit of hard work and focused efforts.

Not that I think the CSA or the provincial bodies are going to change, but turning the spotlight on them to try to hold them accountable is a big accomplishment. Well done.

quote:Originally posted by Ben Knight

My apologies, Mr. Hart!

Onward! // Ben

Good job Ben!

This is a great letter...details all the points that have been driving me nuts for years. Even worse though is that it looks like they're gonna choose Dale Mitchell for the job, and not the better qualified Ardiles or Simoes,.... looks like they want to continue with the same old approach. Obviously money has something to do with this, but perhaps also the hassle of getting Ardiles/Simoes work visas or immigration arranged for their families... i smell laziness.