People always say there is reason for optimism. And it's proving to be increasingly naive. The fact is that this is a national team that doesn't get results at any age level. Consider the following results:
- Haven't qualified for the World Cup in 32 years (going on 36)
- Haven't made the Hex in 20 years (going on 24)
- Haven't made the Gold Cup knockout round in 8 years.
- Haven't qualified for the Olympics ever, and have only qualified for the Pan Am games automatically.
- Haven't qualified for the U-20 World Cup in 10 years (going on 12), where they qualified automatically and finished in last place.
- Haven't qualified for the U-17 World Cup 4 years.
We are still very thin in every position. We have 2 players (one developed by another country) in top flight England, one of which never sees the pitch for that club, and 2 players in the second tier. We have no players in the top 2 tiers of Germany, Spain, France or Italy, and one player in the second tier in Portugal. No one in top flight Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, etc.
Really, we have a handful of players to get excited about, but not much more. Larin is one. Davies, if he continues to progress, is another. Tabla (if he decides to play for Canada and continutes to progress) is another. Outside of that, where are these top level talents? I don't see them.